• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Who got into the Nintendo Switch event?

What day are you going?

Wait, we could actually sign up for it?

raw

Jhoan

I think it's a press only event. Penguin writes for a nerdy website on the side so if I had to wager, there was a form for outlets to submit on Nintendo's website to apply for an invitation. The Polygon article that I found on Google about the event in question dates back to November 28th so the boat already sailed on that one. Otherwise, I would have applied for it under the website I write for.

Penguin

Wait, we could actually sign up for it?

raw

^Isn't it a member-only thing?

I think it's a press only event. Penguin writes for a nerdy website on the side so if I had to wager, there was a form for outlets to submit on Nintendo's website to apply for an invitation. The Polygon article that I found on Google about the event in question dates back to November 28th so the boat already sailed on that one. Otherwise, I would have applied for it under the website I write for.

You folks should hang out in gaming more

Naw they sent out invite to select My Nintendo users. Wish got in as press.

Sunday is a free day so... line-up now?

jk=) i think standing in the cold is the worst. walking is nicer. but driving with heat is the best!

No one likes that bitter unbearable arctic cold we sometimes feel here, but I do enjoy that nice brisk morning with a hot cup of coffee when I go to work. Don't have my car anymore so I can't relate anymore to that car heating, unfortunately

No one likes that bitter unbearable arctic cold we sometimes feel here, but I do enjoy that nice brisk morning with a hot cup of coffee when I go to work. Don't have my car anymore so I can't relate anymore to that car heating, unfortunately

yeah, i'm out in NJ so have to drive everywhere to get even to the local store. it's almost impossible to walk around. when i lived in the city, i couldn't drive and walked/trained. i missed the long walk from the A,C,E to the 7 at times square. there were these musicians i became friends with while walking through daily.

yeah, i'm out in NJ so have to drive everywhere to get even to the local store. it's almost impossible to walk around. when i lived in the city, i couldn't drive and walked/trained. i missed the long walk from the A,C,E to the 7 at times square. there were these musicians i became friends with while walking through daily.

I do miss blasting my music in my car when driving, but I don't miss the bolded at all

Jhoan

The best Chrismas tree ever is in the Plaza de Las Americas. It's got plantains, salami Induveca, Bronchochem, bottles of Brugal and Ron Barceló, and cod liver oil as decorations. I'm getting massive nostalgia for the Dominican Republic. Only in The Heights.

Jhoan

A few women I went out with in the past were attached to their car that they didn't want to sell it when they moved to the city. Maybe it's because I've never had a car but I wonder why people get have a hard time letting go of it. Unless they need to drive to drive to work or live in a part of the city where there's no trains, I think there's really no point of having it since it's dead weight and money that can be saved and used for other things. Unless one has the money to pay 200 bucks a month to keep it in a garage.

A few women I went out with in the past were attached to their car that they didn't want to sell it when they moved to the city. Maybe it's because I've never had a car but I wonder why people get have a hard time letting go of it. Unless they need to drive to drive to work or live in a part of the city where there's no trains, I think there's really no point of having it since it's dead weight and money that can be saved and used for other things. Unless one has the money to pay 200 bucks a month to keep it in a garage.
Probably because to them they think of it as a status thing. I had a car, couldn't wait to get rid of it when I no longer needed it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think for a lot of places in this country, owning a car is a necessity and something of a mark of passage into adulthood.

To give up the car would be to, in a sense, regress.

I think for a lot of places in this country, owning a car is a necessity and something of a mark of passage into adulthood.

I feel more like an adult after not living with my parents than I did living with my parents and having a car. I get it, but this country isn't in the year 1970 anymore and NYC isn't exactly North Carolina. I'm perfectly functional not owning a car. If you have kids different story, single and living in Brooklyn and you work in Manhattan? You don't need a car.

I feel more like an adult after not living with my parents than I did living with my parents and having a car. I get it, but this country isn't in the year 1970 anymore and NYC isn't exactly North Carolina. I'm perfectly functional not owning a car. If you have kids different story, single and living in Brooklyn and you work in Manhattan? You don't need a car.

Right, you're city life is not the same as everyone else in the suburbs

And you answered your own question, you never needed a car so you wouldn't understand

Right, you're city life is not the same as everyone else in the suburbs

And you answered your own question, you never needed a car so you wouldn't understand
I used to need in Long Island, now I don't need a car so I don't have one. I just find it weird that people latch on to needing a car in locations where they really do not need a car to get around.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I used to need in Long Island, now I don't need a car so I don't have one. I just find it weird that people latch on to needing a car in locations where they really do not need a car to get around.

It's been implanted in our skulls, having a car is a right of passage for many. You can't be a grown up without a car, they think. It's a status symbol and nothing more.

It's been implanted in our skulls, having a car is a right of passage for many. You can't be a grown up without a car, they think. It's a status symbol and nothing more.
It's a money sucking status symbol that's for damn sure. I have nothing against cars, but if you can't afford one or barely afford one it's best to do some soul searching and figure out if you really need one. Granted if you're in a state with poor public transportation then you pretty much need one. I really don't want another car till I need one and I actually have a place to park it reliably.

Oxn

I bought another car last year. I really dont need it with a few exceptions every month, but i dont want to not have a car. Barely drive it, insurance sucks, and my sunroof is leaking a little. But i wont get rid of it.

what? live anywhere but a city with good public transportation and you NEED a car to get or do anything

it's a requirement when in much of the country everything is 10 miles apart

Pau

My sister and Kark both left their cars in Miami because it just doesn't make sense to park it somewhere up here and just lose money.

Neither have really gotten rid of their cars though completely.

what? live anywhere but a city with good public transportation and you NEED a car to get or do anything

it's a requirement when in much of the country everything is 10 miles apart
This is so true. In Miami I pretty much can't do anything unless someone's willing to lend me their car. :/

dickroach

I moved (drove up) to Brooklyn from south florida (where you absolutely 100% need a car) about a month ago. was planning on selling my car asap... but it's still sitting outside. I'm still gonna sell it, but I know the second I do I'm gonna regret it.

It's fucking god damn motherfucking cold. I've been wearing my jacket with a fleece underneath and it's been effective...until this morning. Holy shit!!!
tumblr_njq52osuic1u7591ko2_250.gif

Jhoan

That windchill is in effect for the next three days. I can hear the wind howling outside window from how bad it is. The most annoying thing is having to head out for the next three days and I realized that I need to replace my winter jacket after 11 years of owning it.

Not sure if it was a good idea to have a meetup this weekend in retrospect but if everyone else is willing to brave the winds, then nothing stops this train.

Yeah the weather might be destroying my picture taking tomorrow. I do enjoy the use of my fingers. Stuff from the last couple of photo sessions.
DSC_3731 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3713 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3739 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3790 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3795 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3819 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3836 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3840 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3808 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3867 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3925 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3985 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3999 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_3980 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Lulubop

That windchill is in effect for the next three days. I can hear the wind howling outside window from how bad it is. The most annoying thing is having to head out for the next three days and I realized that I need to replace my winter jacket after 11 years of owning it.

Not sure if it was a good idea to have a meetup this weekend in retrospect but if everyone else is willing to brave the winds, then nothing stops this train.

Come on son, this ain't nothing

I do like these set of pics, Jaded.

And I'll play it by ear with you folks on the meet-up.... good thing I never RSVPed :p
Thanks. I have work that night so I can't even go. I'd love to, but the fact that I also have work the next day and need to do laundry that night keeps me from doing much of anything...not to mention eat dinner. I'd love to go to the next one as long as I'm not doing anything.

Jhoan

I'll be there anyway, whether anyone wants to see me or not

That's because you live in the area so of course everyone knows you'll be there! If I was organizing a meet up in my neck of the woods knowing that I don't have to spend any money on subway fare, I would want to be there too. :p

EDIT: Beaten by Penguin but still echoing my thoughts.

Jhoan

Nothing going on in the Heights tho. but I'd do a meet up At the Wallace which is up there. I like to travel.
Get out! There's always stuff going on up here. If you mean that it doesn't have much of a bar scene within the span of a few blocks, then sure since they're scattered in little pockets of blocks. There's two bars about 5-7 minutes away from me even though they've never caught my interest.

I was at Heights Tavern on Tuesday night for a date. While I don't go there enough to become a regular, it's probably my favorite bar in the area. If you guys want a pub crawl, I think Inwood has a bigger range of bars along Broadway but no one likes to come up here so that's out of the question.

As for the bar you mentioned above, I've passed by it many, many times either on the bus or walking. There's a bunch of bars along that cluster of Broadway that are solid. The girl I went out with on Tuesday lives pretty close to that bar so I'll keep that place in mind for future reference. Alas, she's going to be super busy for the next several days and will be out of town until early January so it won't be for a while. :(

[Agent said:
ZeroNine]
I'll be there regardless of the weather. Seems like you folks seem to know each other. Don't make me feel like a third wheel, bro :(

Also, really nice shots.
Everyone is family in GAF meet ups whether they're new or a regular. People have come and gone all the time in the past. This year's batch of people have been super diverse (they've always been diverse in the past to be fair) than ever before.

Although I have to admit, I miss the days when TangMeng, Mully, smokey, El_Sloth, RagingSpaniard, Kisaya, and jon_bones came out. I also wish that more folks who live in the city and almost exclusively post in the gaming side would come out. But the camaraderie is still there so nothing has changed over the years aside from people getting older and some personal life changes. I need to find my old microSD card to throw the pictures that I took in past GAF meetups into my current one.

Penguin

[Agent]ZeroNine;226651074 said:
I'll be there regardless of the weather. Seems like you folks seem to know each other. Don't make me feel like a third wheel, bro :(

Also, really nice shots.

Ha it's from the meet-ups really.

And just super tiny ones that we've done recently.

But there's no strangers here!

I can give you some talking points

Top Bottom