• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

I was referring to the Bronx Terminal Market where I used to go when I lived in Wash Heights
i used to go to school in Riverdale for junior high and my parents lived in inwood.

I finished my Masters yesterday so yes
congrats! i'm going out to Rutgers area tonight to meet up with some guys who just got done with semester to celebrate with them.

i think the bar is called Stuff Your Face

Jhoan

That thread just turns into a chat room for the month. It is annoying. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's only one month out of the year or 30/365 days of the year. I think it's cool that a yearly thread that's super dynamic and shifts topics rapidly much like a real life conversation exists in the same space as weekly/monthly Netflix threads, politics, crazy every day events, and dating woes. It's super meta.
What's... "The Bronx?"
A gentrifying borough much like the other ones. If you lived close to The Bronx, you would understand. Orchard Beach is a solid beach, The Bronx Zoo and Bronx Botanic Garden are another couple of great places, and Fordham Road has got a nitty gritty vibe mixed with the equally nicer parts by Fordham University.

The Yankee Stadium area has a solid bowling alley/ I have family there and spent a good chunk of time there. While it's got its bad parts (Boston Road)/general bad rap, it's got a certain charm that other boroughs don't have.
I was referring to the Bronx Terminal Market where I used to go when I lived in Wash Heights
Wait? Why would you go to the Target in the Bronx Terminal Market when the Target on 225th/River Plaza was much closer to The Heights? That makes no sense. I always go to the aforementioned Target since it's within walking distance from me and I could always hop on the bus or 1 train if I'm feeling lazy/it's too cold to walk back.

And congrats on the degree. I vaguely remember what you were going for (I think it was archaeology). Can you remind what it was that you studied again?
I'm always bemused when the Met employees give me a dirty look for paying a buck or two to get in. I grew up in DC, the land of free museums, so you can't shame me. Plus, if the Met goes under it's not because of cheapskates like me, it's because they're busy blowing millions on expensive new buildings.
A dollar is way too much IMHO. I've given a penny to The Met many times and not a single hoot was given each time I've gone. These days, I give a dime and smile at the clerks when they give me their best look.

Besides The Met and The Museum of Natural History get plenty of money from taxpayers and the Koch brothers which is disturbing to think about. Every time I go to MoMA on a non-Friday date, I flash my student ID and waltz in for free.

Idk it was just closer

vHja5Ec.png

I got a degree in Urban Sustainability

Jhoan

Idk it was just closer

vHja5Ec.png

I got a degree in Urban Sustainability

Oh yeah, that's right you lived right on the border. Nevermind, that makes a lot more sense. Living further up north, it would it be dumb of me to go to the The Bronx Terminal Market since I would waste more time transferring trains. I didn't even know that that bridge can be walked by foot. Good to know for future reference.

Funny, I saw a really good hour long documentary on NYC-TV about urban sustainability a couple of weeks ago. It was about urban farms in several cities including NYC. There's a rooftop garden here in the city for instance.

I really wish GAF had an app so I could get notifications on new posts for these sub'd threads. Maybe I should make it via SCALA.

I wish I knew my Hawaiian-American friends GAF name I met at the most recent meetup to talk about this with him.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Any must eat places? I know there's a shitton but there's so many I don't have a fucking clue on where to begin.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh yeah, that's right you lived right on the border. Nevermind, that makes a lot more sense. Living further up north, it would it be dumb of me to go to the The Bronx Terminal Market since I would waste more time transferring trains. I didn't even know that that bridge can be walked by foot. Good to know for future reference.

Funny, I saw a really good hour long documentary on NYC-TV about urban sustainability a couple of weeks ago. It was about urban farms in several cities including NYC. There's a rooftop garden here in the city for instance.

There's a bunch of them in the city. I spoke to some guys who help set them up for individual buildings in March, it's interesting how much goes into it.

Any must eat places? I know there's a shitton but there's so many I don't have a fucking clue on where to begin.

You're going to have to start with type of food you want and where you are.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If I had to list one "must eat" it would probably be the Halal Guys cart (not any of their spin offs or brick and mortar expansion) because it is uniquely NYC.

Jhoan

I agree with B-Dubs. It depends on what you want/what you would be into as well as your budget. If you want uniquely New York things that you can't get in Puerto Rico, there's stuff all over the place.

Looking at it from an outsider's POV, you would want obligatory pizza, a burger place, maybe a nice, fancy steak from Peter Luger's Steakhouse, craft beer from a solid bar, and maybe some sushi from a 4 star place. I suppose Halal guys would be a good cheap eatery considering the fact that you're probably going to go to MoMA. The bigger question is which area are you going to be staying at?

FYI, in case you want a random fact: A couple of years back, a GAF member from Sweden, Ledsen, came out to a meet up and had proposed to his girlfriend at the Central Park pond earlier that day. It's on 72nd between between the east and west side.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
There's a bunch of them in the city. I spoke to some guys who help set them up for individual buildings in March, it's interesting how much goes into it.

You're going to have to start with type of food you want and where you are.

I agree with B-Dubs. It depends on what you want/what you would be into as well as your budget. If you want uniquely New York things that you can't get in Puerto Rico, there's stuff all over the place.

Looking at it from an outsider's POV, you would want obligatory pizza, a burger place, maybe a nice, fancy steak from Peter Luger's Steakhouse, craft beer from a solid bar, and maybe some sushi from a 4 star place. I suppose Halal guys would be a good cheap eatery considering the fact that you're probably going to go to MoMA. The bigger question is which area are you going to be staying at?

FYI, in case you want a random fact: A couple of years back, a GAF member from Sweden, Ledsen, came out to a meet up and had proposed to his girlfriend at the Central Park pond earlier that day. It's on 72nd between between the east and west side.

Italian, PIZZA, sandwiches, some nice brunch places... I went through most of the list in the OP and got a few nice places off it; but the more the merrier!

Also thanks for the tip...I am proposing the 25th in Central Park and was looking for nice spots.

Has anyone been to the holiday train show at NY botanical garden before?

i always used to drive by there but never been inside. didn't know they'd be open in winter.

so GAF, any plans Christmas Eve? i'm going to see rogue one friday with a bunch of people so i'm pretty excited about that. i haven't seen the force awakens though.

Penguin

i always used to drive by there but never been inside. didn't know they'd be open in winter.

so GAF, any plans Christmas Eve? i'm going to see rogue one friday with a bunch of people so i'm pretty excited about that. i haven't seen the force awakens though.

Ha
I would point out that Friday isn't Christmas Eve, but yeah no plans

2 days of sitting on my arse drinking eggnog and rum or bourbon or whatever or Peppermint White Russians

Jhoan

Has anyone been to the holiday train show at NY botanical garden before?
Nope, never. This is news to me! I'll look into it. Wait, you live in the city?

I think my mom and brother plan to go to my middle bro's house. Good thing he lives by a liquor store because it's going to be boring.

Otherwise, nothing really planned for this weekend other than to look for a gift for a good friend of mines since we're doing a yearly gift exchange. He already got me my gifts. I'm planning on designing a custom Christmas card for him with a note. The other thing I need to do is renew my gym membership and maybe get something for the middle bro (he has everything he wants).

Schmitty said:
What is the protocol about giving your super a Christmas gift? I heard people do that.
My mom and the super are BFFs. Duder shows up here every day like Kramer from Seinfeld but it complicates the relationship a bit. The reason being that whenever she wants him to fix something, he takes it personally. I think you can get him some kind of gift card with a thank you note if feel like he's been doing a good job.

I just watched a video from PBS thirteen about it and apparently the rest of the place is closed until may but they build a huge train show in the conservatory. It looks really cool.

Nope, never. This is news to me! I'll look into it. Wait, you live in the city?

I think my mom and brother plan to go to my middle bro's house. Good thing he lives by a liquor store because it's going to be boring.

Otherwise, nothing really planned for this weekend other than to look for a gift for a good friend of mines since we're doing a yearly gift exchange. He already got me my gifts. I'm planning on designing a custom Christmas card for him with a note. The other thing I need to do is renew my gym membership and maybe get something for the middle bro (he has everything he wants).

My mom and the super are BFFs. Duder shows up here every day like Kramer from Seinfeld but it complicates the relationship a bit. The reason being that whenever she wants him to fix something, he takes it personally. I think you can get him some kind of gift card with a thank you note if feel like he's been doing a good job.

I live in a city but it's little brother ;)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just saw this posted on the Real Escape Game FB page:

Hello Zelda and REG fans!

We have an update for the 2nd wave cities (Seattle, Houston, Chicago, and New York): Although we have been working to release the tickets on January 3rd, 2017, their date & venue information release date have been delayed until January 24th, 2017. The tickets will go on sale January 26th, 2017.

We have been receiving many inquiries about this release so we understand the possible concerns, but don’t worry! The events will still be taking place between March to May, 2017 for sure. We will release more updates when we have them.

Thank you for your support and patience!
Happy Holidays!
Defenders of the Triforce Team

Guess they're having trouble finding a venue?

milkham

Has anyone ever gotten a hoodie tailored? Someone gifted me an expensive hoodie that is XL when I'm medium. It's like a blanket.

Jhoan

Has anyone ever gotten a hoodie tailored? Someone gifted me an expensive hoodie that is XL when I'm medium. It's like a blanket.
Nope but it's worth a visit to your neighborhood tailor to see how much they'll charge you for it.

I have some errands to do but I'm planning on heading down to Union Square to do some last minute gift shopping. I don't want to be home tonight since it's dinner with family and some guests my mom is inviting. It's boring as sin. I've heard that retail stores have been insane this whole week.

Jhoan

WHERE YOU GOING around Union Square?
My middle bro lent me his Unlimited Metro card so I went to The Strand to get a few graphic novels for my friend. Was gonna go to Best Buy to get a Xbone game for him but it's closed. Still in the area and it is a ghost town. Need to be back home before midnight to give my bro his Metrocard.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to my fellow New Yawkers. Pretty quiet Christmas for me. Just saw my mom, sis, bro-in-law and new niece (two weeks old) so that was nice. Ate like a pig as well.

I hope tomorrow is a quiet day since its an observed holiday.

edit: Nice weather today!

just got back from city and went to Muji and nintendo world with a group of peoples.

the tree looks ok this year at rockefeller

sorry for the blurry shot i that was outside of sax 5th ave
Fx75okPl.jpg

xhMwp65l.jpg

what was weird today someone pm'd me from GAF and said they saw me. i never met the person or knows what the person looks like. lol

I have a question about rent in NYC-

I'm looking for a place to stay in NYC for six months. Is there an area of NYC that is more affordable than the others? I'd be on a monthly subway pass (the that cost 120-ish dollars). Is there a way one can go a bit outside the main hotspots and get a cheaper rent? And if so, any places you can recommend for me to look? I've looked at Airbnb and I saw someone renting a room for 1400 USD,- a month. Can it be done cheaper if I was willing to take a hour commute by train by living further out?

I've never been to the US before so I am really on lost ground.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

I'm looking for a place to stay in NYC for six months. Is there an area of NYC that is more affordable than the others? I'd be on a monthly subway pass (the that cost 120-ish dollars). Is there a way one can go a bit outside the main hotspots and get a cheaper rent? And if so, any places you can recommend for me to look? I've looked at Airbnb and I saw someone renting a room for 1400 USD,- a month. Can it be done cheaper if I was willing to take a hour commute by train by living further out?

You basically want to live in the outer boroughs, the further away from Manhattan the cheaper. You can definitely do cheaper than $1400 - I lived alone in Sunnyside, Queens (20 min train or bus commute to Manhattan) for $1300 for a large one bed room, from a shady Craigslist ad. Check Brooklyn and Queens, the latter being more likely to be cheaper due to it not being nearly as hip. Cross reference the location in Google maps to make sure it's reasonably close to a subway line. But generally New York is well connected.

Edit: I've never used AirBNB but after a quick check it does look like there are places under $1k a month with roommates.

Fuchsdh

You can definitely do cheaper than 1400 a month with roommates, but you can probably do cheaper and live alone as well depending on your standards for neighborhoods and amenities.

My wife and I have a 2BR for $1400 in Bed-Stuy, a seven-minute walk from the C train (and a 15 minute from the A.) As Kanik says, you're probably not going to find anything reasonable, especially on AirBNB, in Manhattan.

Thanks guys.

Here is the thing- I look at naked apartments and street easy and I can see that alot of the listings require applicants to have a yearly income with being able to display their credit rating and show up for a public tour of the place.
I'm looking for an internship that will cover my rent and transportation instead of giving a regular wage (not allowed to be paid my university) .
Since I'd like to work from home I'd love to find a place where I can get access to internet. I don't even know if I can sign up for wi-fi in the US if I ain't a citizen.

Is a place like jackson heights or harlem more economically feesable than Queens or Brooklyn? I'd be willing to commute. I'd have to be in downtown manhatten most days, but a 1 hour commute is acceptable if it could reduce the rent prices.

Is a place like jackson heights or harlem more economically feesable than Queens or Brooklyn? I'd be willing to commute. I'd have to be in downtown manhatten most days, but a 1 hour commute is acceptable if it could reduce the rent prices.

With harlem it really depends. It's getting more expensive there because of gentrification. You might be able to find a place with people looking for roommates though. If you are willing to go further out, you can try the Bronx. It's relatively cheap there. Paying $1400 for a pretty big 2 bedroom apartment.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Yes, and also Jackson Heights is part of Queens.

It might be best to do roommates. Reading some reviews, it seems that the AirBNB hosts are used to your kinds of situations and provide info, internet, electricity, and even sometimes towels.

Also I'd like to ask:

1) How much do you guys spend on groceries every month? (if you don't eat out at all)- If you stick to buying average foods; milk, eggs, chicken, tuna, fruits, veggies, coffee, and that sort of stuff. Normal items. What do you guys feel is a normal budget? (Trader Joe is one of the premium discount joints in America right? < It's the one I hear about a lot).

2) The Unlimited Metro Card < How far does it extend? Can you use it to go from Queens or Harlem to Brooklyn? Does it work in the entire state or what? How far does it take you? And does the subway run 24/7?

3) How much does one laundry usually cost in New York? I think I'd have to launder twice a week so I'd probably spend more than most natives with a lot more clothing. I hear that it is common not to have washing machines many places and that laundry mats are common?

4) Is it best to have a Master Card or will my standard Visa Debit card work everywhere? In ATMs and stores and such!?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Also I'd like to ask:

2) You can use it anywhere in the MTA subway system or MTA buses. You can go anywhere through the five boroughs, for as many swipes/rides as you want in a day. The only restriction on the unlimited is that you have to wait 15 minutes between swipes if you are going back on the same bus or trying to get into the train station.

The subway/bus service pretty much runs 24/7, but after midnight service starts to slow down.

3) Laundry mats are common. The washing machines are from $2-$2.50 per load for the small ones, to $3.75+ for the bigger ones. Dyers are .25 for 7 minutes.

4) They will work if the place accepts card. Not all stores (mostly mom and pop stores) take debit/credit cards.

Also I'd like to ask:

1) Depending on where you are, you will most likely use a local grocery store. The items that they carry usually depends on the population around. Generally I spend less than $80 a month on groceries. It can get pretty cheap if you are willing to do most of the food prep yourself. Also, getting items on sale works in keeping shopping cheap.

2) Like the GK86 stated, they work in all 5 boroughs, that use the MTA service. So only in the city. Unlimited cards I think only go up to monthly. Subways run 24/7, but you need to pay attention to signs posted in the stations. They usually state when there are service changes. For example a train will be skipping a station from 10pm to 5am.

4) Visa will be accepted wherever they take cards, but sometimes places will have a minimum before a card can be accepted. Also, there are places that are cash only, so always keep some handy or hope there is an atm around.

Top Bottom