• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
anyone watching the ball drop?

i'm staying home and ditching my friends who are going.

Are your friends from out of town or something? I've never known a native New Yorker to go anywhere near Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Honestly, I'm probably going to stay home. I got invited to a club by some girls from work, but it's going to be fucking crazy and I'm not big on dealing with the crowd.

Jhoan

anyone watching the ball drop?

i'm staying home and ditching my friends who are going.
Hell no! Times Square is going to be a no man's land tomorrow since once one goes to go watch the ball drop, they can't come out. I would highly advise avoiding Midtown. I might go to an extended family gathering since it means that I don't have to spend money on take out food. I normally stay home otherwise and drink a bunch of beers.

i guess no one's going =P

Are your friends from out of town or something? I've never known a native New Yorker to go anywhere near Times Square on New Year's Eve.
The guy that organized the trip is a Pharma student @ St. Johns but from NJ during the breaks.

born in the city, but i've never been there or to the intrepid or circle line.

the only thing i been to is the top of the WTC $100 a plate restaurant for H.S. graduation and top of Empire State building for the first time randomly during college when i liked this Koreanized girl from Baruch.

but i was curious if anyone on GAF does the ball drop thing. i thought about going for the first time thanks to global warming but decided it was too late for me.

heh...I'm a native Bronx boy and I've never been to the usual "tourist traps" like Circle Line, Intrepid, Statue of Liberty (seriously), Broadway shows (couldn't care less and they are expensive), Top of the Rock/WTC/Empire State Building..etc. Why in the blue hell would I go to Times Square on any given day much less New Years Eve?

As for tonight I'm just going to stay home and relax. I slept poorly last night and I'm just tired.

Lulubop

Family party like every year, but I'll be trollin around Tinder to see if a cute girl invites me to a fun party. I got invited to this house party already, but I don't really know the girl. It was one date, like a month ago and then she got busy. We'll see, I'm just looking for a good time.

Jhoan

Camping out in Times Square at 2AM is some hardcore dedication. It's so damn hard to fall asleep with all those lights and tourists' flash photography.

Things to look forward to tomorrow: minimum wage increases at midnight, fast food worker wages increase to $11/hr, the 2nd Avenue subway expansion is finally opening, and Wi-Fi will be installed in all 278 subway stations by today.

I've read far too many sad stories of gentrification this year including a church in Bed-Stuy on sale citing gentrification reasons. With Trump taking office in 21 days, getting around Midtown is going to be a royal pain in the ass for years to come. "Happy" New Year indeed.

Crayons

Banned
Maybe it will change when all installed, but the biggest problem seems to be connection doesn't remain from station to station have to keep reconnecting so only good when waiting for trains

thats why when i arrive at a station I open a GAF thread and read it until I get to the next station, then open a new thread

dickroach

I'm not trusting a public NYC wifi. my Fred Durst noodz will absolutely get hacked.
offline spotify and minesweeper is all i need for the subway

I'm about to hit the R from park slope to union square. no idea what to expect.

Jhoan

I'm not trusting a public NYC wifi. my Fred Durst noodz will absolutely get hacked.
offline spotify and minesweeper is all i need for the subway

I'm about to hit the R from park slope to union square. no idea what to expect.
Good luck with that. There's probably loads of people selling 2017 glasses and hats since the Christmas shops are gone. Bars are going to be making bank tonight. I anticipate cover charges everywhere.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good luck with that. There's probably loads of people selling 2017 glasses and hats since the Christmas shops are gone. Bars are going to be making bank tonight. I anticipate cover charges everywhere.

Even the hole-in-the-wall places I know have cover charges tonight.

dickroach

Meh. There were 2017 stands shops set up all over. The train wasn't anywhere near packed. Hopped in the Irish bar next to The Stand on 3rd and it's like any other Saturday night

dickroach

I live super close to prospect park. Damn these comedy show tickets I bought if prospect park is a super happening thing

Jhoan

Meh. There were 2017 stands shops set up all over. The train wasn't anywhere near packed. Hopped in the Irish bar next to The Stand on 3rd and it's like any other Saturday night
Probably because everyone headed to Times Square in some capacity. The further away one gets from said area, the less crowded bars are. I wonder how long it takes the sanitation department to clean up the confetti and garbage after it's all said and done.

My mom and brother are going to head out. I'm probably going to take out some cash from the ATM, buy a case of beer, drink, and draw. I'd be curious to see what the neighborhood bar I frequent once in a while is like tonight.

Jhoan

It's not super packed in year's past, but pretty chill. Some music. Speeches. Then fireworks for like 15-20 mins
That sounds a lot more fun than anything going up here. I usually see fireworks from the Jersey side around midnight but that's about it.

Penguin

So im in prospect park but im not sure where the fireworks are gonna be? Where should i go?

Im literally just walking with a large group of people.
Near the grand army entrance
There's a band stand
It's usually directly across from it
Follow the music

Jhoan

Man I am buzzed. Wasn't expecting anyone on the Hudson Parkway bike path. I think I will be all right. Welcome to 2017.

Damerman

Near the grand army entrance
There's a band stand
It's usually directly across from it
Follow the music
Barely made it. Lol im in front of the band stand.

Happy new years everyone!

At a place near the grand army entrance called bar sepia. Gonna grab a couple of drinks then im gonna head back to the band.

Jhoan

Oh! Going into the city in about an hour to hang with the ppl I ditched, maybe that's something I can try out!
I think I saw a pic of a massive line from one of the stations on my Facebook feed. I wasn't sure which street it was on or even if it was Manhattan. Chuck Close did a mosaic art piece for one of the stations of everyday New Yorkers and a self-portrait so I'd be curious to go see it in person.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Today's the day folks

2nd Avenue Train Line should be going live in an hour

http://abc7ny.com/news/decades-in-the-making-second-avenue-subway-set-to-open-to-the-public/1680811/

Used to joke saying that I get the luxury of living near 2nd ave's bars without having to hear the drunks late night due to the construction on the corner of the block. Yesterday marked the first day the construction was gone and last night was a nightmare outside my apartment.

It's really weird seeing people coming out of the stations. Like I still can't process that it exists.

I think I saw a pic of a massive line from one of the stations on my Facebook feed. I wasn't sure which street it was on or even if it was Manhattan. Chuck Close did a mosaic art piece for one of the stations of everyday New Yorkers and a self-portrait so I'd be curious to go see it in person.

Hah, that explains the artwork. It's definitely the classiest looking corner stations in the city.

Pau

Used to joke saying that I get the luxury of living near 2nd ave's bars without having to hear the drunks late night due to the construction on the corner of the block. Yesterday marked the first day the construction was gone and last night was a nightmare outside my apartment.

It's really weird seeing people coming out of the stations. Like I still can't process that it exists.
I'm lucky that my apartment doesn't face the street but yeah, I feel ya. Game nights can get especially bad.

It'll be weird having a subway stop only a couple of streets away. Usually it takes 10-15 minutes to walk to the nearest one.

yeah, thanks for this post. i decided to skip and wait till another day after reading your post.
We ended up going to Boka Korean chicken wing restaurant by NYU Cooper Union side.
i just got back home =)

just random talk: not into too recent kpop but damn, this song got to me on New Years.
[MV] IU(아이유) _ SOGYEOKDONG(소격동)

FeD.nL

Hey NYC-GAF!

So myself and 3 friends are planning to visit NYC for 9 nights at the end of April and are currently looking for a place to stay. Normally we would book through Airbnb but the articles online are kinda scaring me from doing so.

So my question is, is it still safe to book an apartment through Airbnb or not? And if not, what are some good alternatives? The budget is around 200 euros per night for the 4 of us.

Many thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kisaya

Hey NYC-GAF!

So myself and 3 friends are planning to visit NYC for 9 nights at the end of April and are currently looking for a place to stay. Normally we would book through Airbnb but the articles online are kinda scaring me from doing so.

So my question is, is it still safe to book an apartment through Airbnb or not? And if not, what are some good alternatives? The budget is around 200 euros per night for the 4 of us.

Many thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's still pretty safe in my experience. The only inconvenience is the neighborhoods or how far you are from a subway with some of the cheaper apartments.

When I visited home last October we rented an airbnb in Borough Park. The actual apartment was fine aside from the heat not really working. What killed us is the amount of honking that the Orthodox Jewish community does at 7am in the morning... was not fun after a night of drinking.

Top Bottom