• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

FeD.nL

It's still pretty safe in my experience. The only inconvenience is the neighborhoods or how far you are from a subway with some of the cheaper apartments.

When I visited home last October we rented an airbnb in Borough Park. The actual apartment was fine aside from the heat not really working. What killed us is the amount of honking that the Orthodox Jewish community does at 7am in the morning... was not fun after a night of drinking.

Thank you. Will just start looking on there as well.

hey NYC GAF,
i went to Sticky's again but this time the one on 33rd and 3rd ave. it wasn't as good as the one by NYU. the fries were soggy and the chicken tasted dry. the one by NYU was great. sauces we got were, caramel, chipotle honey, vampire and thai sweet chili.

i still haven't gone to the 2nd ave. train anybody try it yet? (aside from a fellow retroGAFer that got approached by girl)

Which Sticky's near NYU? The one on 8th St (between 5th and 6th Ave)?? That's the only one I tried and I liked it. Dug the General Tso style one. The Bacon/Cheddar Fries were solid too.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Anyone doing the No Pants Subway Ride on Sunday?

Nice, thank you for the reminder. Giants game is the same day so I will consider it as long as there is no conflict.

Nevermind. Ride starts at 3, Giants game is at 4:40. Maybe next year.

milkham

I feel stupid asking this but are there no more rock stations on the FM dial? I've been spending a lot of time in a basement with nothing but a radio and every now and then i'll spin the dial around to avoid listening to the same fucking songs over and over on every station. best i can land on is a "light fm" station. does rock music exist anymore?

Marvie_3

Banned
I feel stupid asking this but are there no more rock stations on the FM dial? I've been spending a lot of time in a basement with nothing but a radio and every now and then i'll spin the dial around to avoid listening to the same fucking songs over and over on every station. best i can land on is a "light fm" station. does rock music exist anymore?
Q104.3 is about it.

milkham

Q104.3 is about it.

that's really a shame, i feel so fucking old.

Late to the discussion but I noticed earlier on the page there was some talk about native new yorkers and tourist attractions. A few years back I decided I would make some time to hit up a few. I remember a coworker telling me he'd never been to the World Trade Center before 9/11 which blew my mind a little because it was a shopping center and commuter hub along with the office space and tourist attraction. It was how i got to Jersey to avoid sales tax on clothes and catch a cheap(er) movie at Newport as a teenager.

Since then I've been to the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, the Intrepid, the Top of the Rock, and done the 'round Manhattan cruise on the circle line. The Intrepid was cool, I had no idea how small the cockpits on those aircraft are, i imagine its like flying around in a bathtub. Catching a sunset from the top of the rock was breathtaking and I did the 3 hour Circle Line cruise twice because I got to see some parts of the city i'd never been to or thought about. In particular I found the northern end of the city really beautiful. I think we should all take some (off peak) time to see this beautiful place we live in and step back from the grime, mundanity and aggravation of our daily commutes.

Jhoan

Anyone doing the No Pants Subway Ride on Sunday?
I've put it off for ages but I've wanted to do it. A GAF member did it a few years ago and had fun as well as a friend of mines. I'm slated to meet with a friend that day to exchange gifts but damn if I'm not tempted to bite the bullet and do it this year. It would be fun as a bucket list/things tried once things.
I dunno if K-Rock is still around but that station played rock. Otherwise, the classic Rock Station that was mentioned above is the only other one. Columbia has a solid radio station (89.9) that has a diverse range of shows ranging from classical music to jazz to Brazilian music. If you like news, then WNYC might be up your alley.

On the topic of tourist attractions, I've never done Top of the Rock nor the Circle Line. I heard good things about the Circle Line though. I also have an odd curiosity to ride the tourist bus just to see what it feels like to be a tourist in the city. The East River ferry looks fun as well.

K-Rock's been gone a long time.

You can get 104.3 and depending on where you are you might be able to get 102.3 (CT's classic rock station) or 94.3 (The shark, a long island based rock station that doesnt play classic rock, think 90s, 00s and metal).

I've put it off for ages but I've wanted to do it. A GAF member did it a few years ago and had fun as well as a friend of mines. I'm slated to meet with a friend that day to exchange gifts but damn if I'm not tempted to bite the bullet and do it this year. It would be fun as a bucket list/things tried once things.

I dunno if K-Rock is still around but that station played rock. Otherwise, the classic Rock Station that was mentioned above is the only other one. Columbia has a solid radio station (89.9) that has a diverse range of shows ranging from classical music to jazz to Brazilian music. If you like news, then WNYC might be up your alley.

On the topic of tourist attractions, I've never done Top of the Rock nor the Circle Line. I heard good things about the Circle Line though. I also have an odd curiosity to ride the tourist bus just to see what it feels like to be a tourist in the city. The East River ferry looks fun as well.

I rode one of the Buses before I moved here. They're cool for giving facts but I'd much rather do walking tours

When I lived in Europe I did a bunch I think with this company.

http://www.neweuropetours.eu/

I wish they were in the US.

Kisaya

Late to the discussion but I noticed earlier on the page there was some talk about native new yorkers and tourist attractions. A few years back I decided I would make some time to hit up a few. I remember a coworker telling me he'd never been to the World Trade Center before 9/11 which blew my mind a little because it was a shopping center and commuter hub along with the office space and tourist attraction. It was how i got to Jersey to avoid sales tax on clothes and catch a cheap(er) movie at Newport as a teenager.

Since then I've been to the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, the Intrepid, the Top of the Rock, and done the 'round Manhattan cruise on the circle line. The Intrepid was cool, I had no idea how small the cockpits on those aircraft are, i imagine its like flying around in a bathtub. Catching a sunset from the top of the rock was breathtaking and I did the 3 hour Circle Line cruise twice because I got to see some parts of the city i'd never been to or thought about. In particular I found the northern end of the city really beautiful. I think we should all take some (off peak) time to see this beautiful place we live in and step back from the grime, mundanity and aggravation of our daily commutes.

I went to the Statue of Liberty for the first time after 21 years of living in NYC. My family lived in Red Hook so I was always just satisfied with the view we had there, plus passing by it for free whenever I commuted to Staten Island on the ferry.

The Circle Line I did on a school trip when I was probably in 3rd grade, but I would love to go on it again the next time I visit home (I know my partner would appreciate it too).

Never did Empire State Building (passed by it a lot), the Intrepid, or the Top of the Rock. The most touristy thing I was present at was being on the rooftop of the Twin Towers when I was three years old.

gazele

Banned
hey NYC GAF,
i went to Sticky's again but this time the one on 33rd and 3rd ave. it wasn't as good as the one by NYU. the fries were soggy and the chicken tasted dry. the one by NYU was great. sauces we got were, caramel, chipotle honey, vampire and thai sweet chili.

i still haven't gone to the 2nd ave. train anybody try it yet? (aside from a fellow retroGAFer that got approached by girl)

Will definitely try the one on 43rd and 9th as thats right by my new place I'm moving into this month

Any other food places people recommend around hell's kitchen?

Which Sticky's near NYU? The one on 8th St (between 5th and 6th Ave)?? That's the only one I tried and I liked it. Dug the General Tso style one. The Bacon/Cheddar Fries were solid too.
yeah! that place was tasty. i gotta go back there sometime =)

i remember going to Newport to the Mall in highschool taking the PATH. and those silly big trees up in the world financial center connecting to the park by Stuyvesant High School.

good times=)

Will definitely try the one on 43rd and 9th as thats right by my new place I'm moving into this month
i haven't tried that location but i'm sure you'll love it. good luck on the move!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anyone here, or know someone who has, volunteered to become a Big Brother/Sister? What was your/their experience like?

Anyone here, or know someone who has, volunteered to become a Big Brother/Sister? What was your/their experience like?

i do know a Stevens Engineer graduate who was involved with it but i'm not in touch with him at the moment. sorry, i didn't ask too many details but from i gathered, he shared it was pretty positive and some others in Hoboken were involved in a similar nonprofit organization. they genuinely took their schedule seriously and cared for the volunteered time which was great.

personally, i run something similar for work in West Windsor/ Princeton area but it's on the opposite of end of the spectrum of underprivileged though. i'm in it for the monies, jk (i'm getting paid vs. volunteering)

our goal is similar to that Big Brother program: but instead of underprivileged, we deal with the stresses of students in a highly competitive environment since there's major pressure to achieve at an early age. this can lead to depression, substance abuse and other risk behaviors. GAF even had a thread re: Caucasian parents protesting/moving out of communities bc Asians are too competitive and were pushing the curriculum learning curve too high. quoted was the NY Times article about the West Windsor/Princeton area.

not sure if my experience or this info helps but hopefully it gives an idea of mentors interactions:
as the director of the program, i had to come up with guidelines to define the mentors role:

mainly our volunteers come from undergraduate/grad students who are closer in age to high schoolers vs. middle schoolers. (we have some Med students and Resident in their rotations volunteer time weekly as well):
so these guidelines are for the big sibs that are closer in age to keep their roles defined and not dilute mentorship to " just buddies."
1) A big sib may not hang out with their lil sib past 9:00 pm. Any form of activity partaken in should end after dinner. There is nothing good that can come from ”hanging out" when it is dark. So please make sure to send your lil sib home early!
2) There shall be no substance abuse or alcohol consumption of any sort with the lil sib. This includes, but is not limited to: recreational drugs, dinner wine, mixed drinks at restaurants, or at the birthday parties of the mentors.
3) Refrain always hanging with the lil sib. We do not want the lil sib to get to dependent on the big sib. The lil sib's need to learn to stand on their own two feet - an important lesson the big sib needs to teach the lil sib throughout the season.
4) Always be supportive but do not always try to force advice. Even if the lil sib is making a huge mistake or going down the wrong path, trying to step in immediately might chase the lil sib away. Being supportive and setting a good example is always the best route to take.

probably differs from the role at Big Brother but the common central point i heard my friend share about his volunteer experience over there was just "being there" for the mentee was probably the most important factor.

Jhoan

I rode one of the Buses before I moved here. They're cool for giving facts but I'd much rather do walking tours

When I lived in Europe I did a bunch I think with this company.

http://www.neweuropetours.eu/

I wish they were in the US.
I can imagine that walking tours would be a lot better/efficient than being stuck on a bus for an hour. What was it like riding a tour bus and taking pictures from that view?

I see that website does tours in New York. Most interesting. I'll give it a more proper look once I get my home Internet back up and running but it sounds cool. I'll throw it into the OP for future reference.

Any other food places people recommend around hell's kitchen?
I met a guy who lives in the Times Square area with his boyfriend while volunteering at GaymerX East. He said that the rent in the area is pretty reasonable considering that it's pretty much waking up in tourist city. It's odd to see peeps who live in the vicinity.

That being said, the OP has a TON of places to pique your interest. Go! Go! Curry! is a solid place with bang for your buck. If you go down to 9th, 10th, and 11th there's loads of bars going north. I went to an Asian restaurant on 40 something and 10th once with a group of friends and it was solid. I can't remember the name of it. You're right by Pony Bar which is a favorite GAF haunt. It's a small bar with solid pub food including a grilled cheese sandwich that's supposed to be good. If you go further north, Valhalla usually has wings for 50 cents after midnight.
I went out with a girl who worked for a mentoring company by Bryant Park last year. She mentored a Hispanic girl in high school. How it worked is that she met with her mentee once a week in a public place (meeting the family is prohibited) and kept up with her. She found it rewarding and meaningful. It's not much to go on but there you go. I thought about doing something like that but I don't feel like I'm at a point in my life where I'm ready for that. I'd like to do something arts related in my neighborhood.

By the way, if anyone has any interest in working on games, the Global Game Jam is coming up on January 20-22. There's a couple of sites throughout the city but I think the Microsoft building location is the most convenient one. My brother and I participated last year and had a lot of fun even though neither the team I was in nor my brother's team finished our respective games. 0 programming experience is required but it helps.

Lastly, I heard on WNYC earlier that the state is going to begin offering free state tuition and that Thomas Prendergast, the current MTA chief is retiring but he didn't say when. Cuomo is going to begin looking for a replacement before then.

I can imagine that walking tours would be a lot better/efficient than being stuck on a bus for an hour. What was it like riding a tour bus and taking pictures from that view?

It sucks, you can't control it. Have a weird angle (they don't build buildings to be admired from a double decker bus.)

Also it sucks when cool things happen or you get good lighting and the bus drives away.

Its good to quickly see a lot. We took the upper manhattan tour I think. So Upper West Side, Harlem and I think Midtown. This was many years ago though.

Jhoan

It sucks, you can't control it. Have a weird angle (they don't build buildings to be admired from a double decker bus.)

Also it sucks when cool things happen or you get good lighting and the bus drives away.

Its good to quickly see a lot. We took the upper manhattan tour I think. So Upper West Side, Harlem and I think Midtown. This was many years ago though.
That's incredibly fascinating! I never thought about what the viewing angle must be like from the bus as opposed to being on foot. The damn buses never go past Harlem. The day I ever see a tourist bus in The Heights will be quite something. I thought Bridegate would attract tourists but it didn't but after thinking about it, maybe it's for the best.
Over 100 now :(
Up to 104 now and one of the passengers suffered a broken leg. Here's the article in question for the curious: https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170104/downtown-brooklyn/long-island-rail-road-derails-brooklyn

gazele

Banned
Think convinced some friends to go, and think Gazele is gonna check it out

Will look into monies and probably buy tonight

Also can use code BROKELYN for 15% off

Yep, I'm definitely down

So unlimited beer but pay for food I'm guessing?

Love food festivals even without beer

Session 1 or 2?

Jhoan

Yep, I'm definitely down

Session 1 or 2?

My advice would be to do the second session unless you like day drinking. I think paying the extra bucks for the after party package is a solid deal after the discount. I'm looking forward to trying out the fabled Dinosaur BBQ that Lulubop keeps gushing about.

Tomorrow is the annual Three Kings Parade in East Harlem. El Museo del Barrio is open for free and there will be musical performances and whatnot. My brother and I are thinking about checking it out. Details are here: http://www.elmuseo.org/three-kings-2017/

Penguin

Yep, I'm definitely down

Session 1 or 2?
Second session, what do I look like waking up before noon on a Sat!

My advice would be to do the second session unless you like day drinking. I think paying the extra bucks for the after party package is a solid deal after the discount. I'm looking forward to trying out the fabled Dinosaur BBQ that Lulubop keeps gushing about.

Tomorrow is the annual Three Kings Parade in East Harlem. El Museo del Barrio is open for free and there will be musical performances and whatnot. My brother and I are thinking about checking it out. Details are here: http://www.elmuseo.org/three-kings-2017/

Dinosaur BBQ is pretty good

DSC_5073 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5084 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5102 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5108 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5119 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5222 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5287 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5335 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5147 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5130 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5472 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5363 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5391 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5447 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5548 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5342 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Can you guys please recommend me parties that play Top 40 music? Basically a club that plays the most popular pop artists right now like Chainsmokers, Drake, Rihanna and other electronic and tropical music artists.

I'm young and my friends are too, all 21 or so and we just want to dance and make friends with people around our age.

Peace.

Man...the snow won't be letting up anytime soon. Its gotten stronger and potential snow totals may reach 8 inches. My damn luck. ALWAYS ON A WEEKEND!!!!

I remember that blizzard last year and I had to clean and take care of everything myself since I have no assistant/porter/handyman to help things out. <sigh>

What a dog shit week for me. :(

Man...the snow won't be letting up anytime soon. Its gotten stronger and potential snow totals may reach 8 inches. My damn luck. ALWAYS ON A WEEKEND!!!!

I remember that blizzard last year and I had to clean and take care of everything myself since I have no assistant/porter/handyman to help things out. <sigh>

What a dog shit week for me. :(

At least snow stops tonight

At least snow stops tonight

Yep, but its supposed to be brutally cold overnight and tomorrow morning. Supposed to feel like its in the single digits so whatever snow/slush is out there will ice up. I'm going to put an obnoxious amount of salt in front of my building before I sleep. Will have to get up early though and survey the sidewalk and hope its not too slick.

yencid

So NYC gaf that are into concerts/festivals, panorama and governors ball have both announced their lineups, are you going to either!?

C1u972NVQAAlS44.jpg
C1VNnO2WgAAY4XC.jpg

Top Bottom