• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: $3 Tip on a $4 Cup of Coffee? Gratuities Grow, Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning: This article will raise your blood pressure.

The flat white coffee drink was $4. A suggested tip was $3.

The cashier at Café Grumpy, a New York City coffeehouse, swiped the credit card, then whirled the screen of her iPad sales device around to face the customer. “Add a tip,” the screen commanded, listing three options: $1, $2 or $3.

In other words: 25 percent, 50 percent or 75 percent of the bill.

There was a “no tip” and a “customize tip” button, too, but neither seemed particularly inviting as the cashier looked on. Under that pressure, the middle choice — $2 — seemed easiest.

American consumers are feeling a bit of tip creep.

New York City taxi riders paying with plastic are confronted with buttons for 20 percent, 25 percent or 30 percent tips. Anything less has to be manually entered (and calculated by the passenger).

Purchasers of gift certificates for the day spa Euphoria are asked if they want to include a staff tip; the option 25 percent is automatically checked for those who say yes. (They, too, can manually change it to 15, 20 or 30 percent.) A Miami diner complained on Chowhound of an automatic 24 percent gratuity for a buffet lunch: “I’m a consistent 20 percent or better tipper, but a 24 percent included tip on a buffet Sheesh.”

“There are records of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson giving tips to their slaves,” said Michael Lynn, a professor of consumer behavior at Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration,

Still, the concept of tipping is spreading. In March, a Silicon Valley company opened ChangeTip, a platform that allows people to send small Bitcoin payments through social media, email, Skype or text to show their appreciation for content creators (or anyone) on the Internet.

The service has been growing about 30 percent a month and now has about 60,000 users who have collectively tipped over $250,000, said Nick Sullivan, founder and chief executive. The average payment, he said, was a little over $1.

The tips may be small, but Mr. Sullivan’s vision is grand: to disrupt the advertising model on the Internet by replacing it with a system of small altruistic micropayments. He even envisions a new concept: the viral tip.

A company, DipJar, has created an electronic tip jar — patrons who pay for their coffee, ice cream or bagel with a credit card can dip the same card into a receptacle by the register for a preset tip amount, usually $1. Last fall, DipJar raised $420,000 from investors to expand its presence from about 20 test sites to 500 locations in the coming months.

“DipJar, when we heard about it, we thought, ‘This is a godsend,’ ” said Leo Kremer, a co-founder of Dos Toros Taqueria, a small chain of counter-service Mexican restaurants in New York. The company recently removed the tip line from credit card receipts on transactions below $20 out of concern that “some customers found it presumptuous.” DipJar, he said, “can generate more tips in a way that’s not intrusive.”

Far bolder are the proliferating tablet-based point-of-sale systems that force the issue by presenting consumers with a slate of generous gratuity options before the transaction can be completed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/b...es-grow-automatically.html?smid=re-share&_r=0

I hope creating a new tipping thread isn't a problem, it's a New York Times article, so I figured new thread for new news, and tips going up to 75% is certainly new to me.

braves01

Banned
tumblr_m3ddp15rBS1qcsnyl.gif

Afrodium

Banned
The mandatory 24% gratuity at the buffet is a little much, but the story about how the barista made the author tip $2 was dumb. There's a $1 option, just choose that if you only want to tip $1. I'm pretty sure the cafe near me has the same thing - Square on an iPad as their POS system, and it gives the same choices. I just tip $1 and don't feel like a dick about it because it's a $3 cup of coffee.

I would walk out if there was a mandatory tip. At that point it's not about service but about shaming and pressuring the customer out of a few bucks.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Why would I ever tip someone for making a coffee, do they not get paid?

mackattk

Only place I tip is when an actual waiter comes to me, brings me my food and refills drink, or an actual service. Tip at a buffet? Get the fuck out of here. If I have to get up I will tip myself. Tip at a coffee shop? NOPE. Its your fucking job to make coffee, don't expect a tip.

Anyway, I guess a lot of this is that more and more places want to pay their employees a servers wage (~$2.13/hr), and expect the customers to subsidize their pay.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I understand tipping waiters, haircutters, pizza delivery, etc.

This one? You just poured coffee into a cup and maybe made a modification. I just don't see why that deserves a tip.

Zeppu

Could someone tell NYT to increase their font size a bit and narrow their columns a bit. At one point a short sentence almost fit on a single line.

Half the time I have no clue what I am supposed to tip for anymore.

I was a local bakery not long ago picking up a loaf of bread and I got a dirty look when I used the ipad checkout app and didn't tip the girl that helped me. All she was doing was running the register and turning around and picking up a loaf of bread....why does that require a tip?

Septimius

This one? You just poured coffee into a cup and maybe made a modification. I just don't see why that deserves a tip.

Why is delivering a pizza deserving a tip, but not making you coffee?

mm04

I've been suckered into that at a sandwich shop I like. I typically pay in cash and one time I didn't have cash and paid credit card and the screen was flipped around and I was so surprised, I felt like I was forced to tip. I chose 15% for a to-go order. This would be like tipping 15% at Subway. I was annoyed afterward and since then use my credit card there to get rewards points and select no tip with no F's given.

Deft Beck

I am not going to give that much of a tip for such a mundane item and service.

They ought to be paid better wages to begin with.

goodcow

Should I feel obligated to tip when using Amazon Prime Now? I understand I'm getting a delivery in two hours, but I already pay for Prime. And a lot of the items are groceries which are cheaper than shopping locally and Amazon the main website doesn't sell, so it's not like I can just do a regular shipment instead.

pizza delivery

I actually don't understand this one. Most places have a delivery fee, don't they? So the idea of tipping on top of that seems odd.

Funny enough, I enjoy tipping here in Southeast Asia because it's not expected and genuinely appreciated when you do. When I go back to the US, yeah I think I will stop tipping for the majority of things. It's gotten out of control. Just raise your prices already.

but the story about how the barista made the author tip $2 was dumb. There's a $1 option, just choose that if you only want to tip $1. I'm pretty sure the cafe near me has the same thing - Square on an iPad as their POS system, and it gives the same choices. I just tip $1 and don't feel like a dick about it because it's a $3 cup of coffee.

Thats the thing isnt it. They just tricked you into tipping $1 for something that never in history has been considered worthy of a tip.

By presenting $1, $2 and $3, when the standard is and should be $0, youre being pushed into tipping any amount.

At least mcdonalds has a "tip jar" that goes to a childrens charity.

Should I feel obligated to tip when using Amazon Prime Now? I understand I'm getting a delivery in two hours, but I already pay for Prime. And a lot of the items are groceries which are cheaper than shopping locally and Amazon the main website doesn't sell, so it's not like I can just do a regular shipment instead.

You dont leave a $5 taped to your door for the UPS guy?

Shit man, he probably spit on your package

Grimsen

Seems like they're attempting be like bartenders, another tipping scam.

i live in nyc, and i don't do any of that.

i tip a flat 20% in cabs, and around 20% before tax at restaurants unless i get exceptional service. That's it.

i don't understand why this nonsense is spreading to coffee shops, bakeries, and other non-traditional establishments, but i won't have any of it.

Mr. Hyde

I generally only tip at coffee places when the barista is making me a pour over or some other sort of fancy drink. $1.00 or so only, though. $3.00 on a flat white is excessive. Thankfully, most days I wake up early enough to do a pour over in my chemex. Mmm.. Ethiopian coffee.

mackattk

i live in nyc, and i don't do any of that.

i tip a flat 20% in cabs, and around 20% before tax at restaurants unless i get exceptional service. That's it.

i don't understand why this nonsense is spreading to coffee shops, bakeries, and other non-traditional establishments, but i won't have any of it.

Thats another thing. I hate how the 10/15/20% tip recommendations on a restaurant receipt are based off the price after taxes, not before. I'm not going to tip on the price of tax.

So if you order a coffee and sit there for hours you won't tip?

Does sitting there for 10 minutes or 3 hours make any difference in how much work the barista has to do? I can go to McD's, order a coffee and sit there for 3 hours. What's the difference?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Tipping is a good way for altruistic people to subsidize the cost of products by supplementing the shitty wages of bartenders, baristas, etc.

Sucks for the people working who don't get a consistent, reliable wage though

styl3s

Do people who make coffee earn like $1.25 an hour? Why do they deserve a tip and the guy at McDonalds who puts the nuggets in the fryer doesn't?

Never understood tipping at coffee places but then again i very rarely buy milkshakes disguised as coffee, i normally just stop in at a gas station and buy a 70 cent 24oz coffee.

Why is delivering a pizza deserving a tip, but not making you coffee?
Are you comparing someone who walks 2 feet to drives miles in their own car? wut?

The "no tip" button was right there. He should have hit it. I know I would have.

But the barista was looking, man! Too much pressure!!!

I only tip if they've earned it. I don't drink coffee but if I did I don't see what would be worthy of a tip from pouring a fucking cup.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
After living in first world countries that somehow manage to pay service industry employees a decent wage while still being profitable - this third world tipping thing in the USA needs to go the way of the dodo.

Exile20

Thats the problem. There is no definitive line drawn around tips. Businesses will keep pushing the envelope because, why not? Tipping is ingrained in our culture to the point that you actually feel bad/embarrassed/cheap if you don't tip.

Mimosa97

I moved from France to Canada a few years ago, and i still don't understand the tip culture.

But again, in Rome do as the romans do, so i tip like everyone else, usually 15% for deliveries and 20% in restaurants. When you add the already high prices (I live in downtown Montreal), the provincial sales Taxes and the tips, you start bleeding money everytime you go out. So what happened is that i cut my expenses, i don't eat out as often as i used to when i lived in Europe. I don't order food when i'm at home as often as i did back there etc... etc...

And i won't even talk about the bad experiences i had with shitty waiters or terrible staff trying to make me tip a huge amount when the service was terrible. And the stories about delivery guys refusing a 3$ tip on a 15$ order saying it's not enough. Fucking hell.

I feel like the owners, instead of using part of the profits to give their employees a good salary, rather choose to exploit them and keep all the profits for themselves. So they basically have to hassle customers for tips.

I had a friend who used to work in a bar/restaurant and she told me that she made 200-250$ in tips in the good nights. When she worked full-time she made as much money as a young engineer.

The "no tip" button was right there. He should have hit it. I know I would have.

The problem is the stare down and pressure on you. There are people who believe you are bottom feeding scum for not tipping. Businesses feed on this so they know people will give a tip when its pushed in your face. Not every one has the balls to say no when they want to and businesses know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom