• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT gets Trump's 1995 tax documents, might have avoided taxes for two decades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see the big deal to be honest. Carried foward losses aren't unique.

He prides himself as being a smart businessman that would fix Americas economy like he fixes his businesses yet he's a apparently terrible at running businesses and knows it because he won't release his current tax filings.

r3ViWtv.png

I follow him. I laughed out loud. I quoted him and he liked it.

Savage

He prides himself as being a smart businessman that would fix Americas economy like he fixes his businesses yet he's a apparently terrible at running businesses and knows it because he won't release his current tax filings.

Some of the greatest business men we quote and adore in this world had shitty times. Listen I'm not a fan of Trump and as I said a carried forward loss isn't a unique circumstance. If he repeatedly uses it then that is a different story.

Add: I also agree about him releasing his tax returns.

Some of the greatest business men we quote and adore in this world had shitty times. Listen I'm not a fan of Trump and as I said a carried forward loss isn't a unique circumstance. If he repeatedly uses it then that is a different story.

Add: I also agree about him releasing his tax returns.

I think you still don't get it, those other people you mention are public about their failures and struggles an don't hide it and as you see its not an issue. Trump on the other hand keeps repeating he is so successful and has never failed and that means he is qualified to be president and would fix everything because as you can see he is so great at business. He's being called out on his BS, BS he created by not owing up to reality and instead trying to deceive a country into making him president. Fuck the fact that he's a shitty businessman he's an even worst pathological liar and untrustworthy.

royalan

I think you still don't get it, those other people you mention are public about their failures and struggles an don't hide it and as you see its not an issue. Trump on the other hand keeps repeating he is so successful and has never failed and that means he is qualified to be president and would fix everything because as you can see he is so great at business. He's being called out on his BS, BS he created by not owing up to reality and instead trying to deceive a country into making him president. Fuck the fact that he's a shitty businessman he's an even worst pathological liar and untrustworthy.

And even still, 1 billion in losses for a private company is a notably big loss.

old

I've always disagreed with this part of the tax code. I hope this spurs the removal of the loss carryforward.

Piecake

I've always disagreed with this part of the tax code. I hope this spurs the removal of the loss carryforward.

I think the idea of it is fine considering that it helps out small business owners who take a chance but struggle for the first few years or fail. Just put a limit on it so incompetent boobs who got all their money from daddy don't get to exploit it.

HariKari

Tax avoidance is legal and proudly celebrated in a lot of conservative circles, so I don't see how this changes things.

sazzy

They're never going to do that; its one of the basic tools businesses use to not go bankrupt in a freak year.

They can try to fix it, if they can.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tax avoidance is legal and proudly celebrated in a lot of conservative circles, so I don't see how this changes things.

Blue collar people paying 35% state and federal tax after working 60 hours a week might be thinking about this harder than you give them credit for.

royalan

Can you show me where a 1 BILLION Dollar *pinky finger* loss is celebrated among conservative circles? You know, the same conservative circles that shame social programs that take money from Real Tax-Paying Americans®.

I'm sorry, there's just no way to positively spin this. This is going to gut him among everyone but his most staunch supporters.

HariKari

"Conservative circles" aren't the voter base deciding this election.

The idea that Trump is a smarmy, over-the-top, give no fucks sleazy businessman is not a new idea to the people supporting him. You think this is enough to turn things?

Blue collar people paying 35% state and federal tax after working 60 hours a week might be thinking about this harder than you give them credit for.

That wealthy people use tax avoidance schemes isn't a new idea to anyone.

Can you show me where a 1 BILLION Dollar *pinky finger* loss is celebrated among conservative circles? You know, the same conservative circles that shame social programs that take money from Real Tax-Paying Americans®.

I'm sorry, there's just no way to positively spin this. This is going to gut him among everyone but his most staunch supporters.

Donald Trump has several bankrupticies and yet is still fetishized as some sort of genius businessman.

"Trump lost a billion dollars"

There is no spinning that. Whether it's a good thing, a legal thing, or whatever, the fact is

"Trump lost a billion dollars."

The idea that Trump is a smarmy, over-the-top, give no fucks sleazy businessman is not a new idea to the people supporting him. You think this is enough to turn things?

That bunch was never going to vote any other way what it turns off is the idiot, I mean "swing" voters still on the fence.

Trump is already losing and his numbers take a hit with every scandal, so yes? Focus groups hated his response to the tax stuff in the debate, this is an area of weakness for him.

louiedog

Yeah, but those people think it makes him clever and a winner. This says otherwise.

Not that I think they'll turn on him because of this. They'll still convince themselves he's awesome.

That argument is reserved for people who are poor. Applying that to alleged billionaires does not work for a number of reasons.

It's reserved for everybody not paying federal income taxes. And like I said, the US spends more than it taxes over time. People still make contributions to the US in support of schools, veterans, and so on without paying federal income taxes.

There is no spinning that. Whether it's a good thing, a legal thing, or whatever, the fact is

Oh his fans will spin it. Won't even be a challenge.

"You have to take risks and sometimes you lose a billion is nothing for him."

PKrockin

"nothing compared to the billions of taxpayer dollars obummer gives to gay muslim abortion spiders as ransom payments every year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom