• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: House republicans gut independent ethics office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutek

Update: Trump rebuking house republicans efforts, saying there are things of higher priority than weakening ethics oversight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/u...prod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

I can't believe they're going with the good cop/bad cop routine. It might actually work.

Original Post
House Republicans, defying their top leaders, voted Monday to significantly curtail the power of an independent ethics office set up in 2008 in the aftermath of corruption scandals that sent three members of Congress to jail.

The move to weaken the Office of Congressional Ethics was not public until late Monday, when Representative Robert Goodlatte, Republican of Virginia and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, announced that the House Republican Conference had approved the change with no advance public notice or debate.

In its place, a new Office of Congressional Complaint Review would be set up within the House Ethics Committee, which before the creation of the Office of Congressional Ethics had been accused of ignoring credible allegations of wrongdoing by lawmakers.]

Source

Of course, they claim it will strengthen ethics oversight.

Happy new year!

Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama.gif
The GOP is rotten the core.

Mr. Goodlatte defended the action in a statement issued Monday evening, saying it would strengthen ethics oversight in the House while also giving lawmakers better protections against what some members have called overzealous efforts by the Office of Congressional Ethics.

Gotta protect the hardworking and honest lawmakers from the overzealous OCE.

the amount of deregulation, corruption and lack of accountability we're gonna be seeing these next few years is really gonna be tremendous.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Clearly the best way to drain the swamp is by getting rid of the swamp cops in charge of draining the swamp.

The article doesn't make it very clear what's being changed.

Does the Office of Congressional Complaint Review get to decide which complaints are passed on to the Office of Congressional Ethics? Is that where legislators would be exerting more control?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I fucking hate the current Republican party. Cowardly and corrupt to the core and don't even try to hide it.

Clearly the best way to drain the swamp is by getting rid of the swamp cops in charge of draining the swamp.

Apparently, the best way to drain the swamp is to let it boil over the top, killing/maiming anything (e.g., the general public and dissidents) that happens to be in its way while "draining".

ruxtpin

Banned
I fucking hate the current Republican party. Cowardly and corrupt to the core and don't even try to hide it.

Terrible thinking on my part, but part of me wishes they could be dealt some harsh "justice" ... something like Scarecrow judgements in the TDKR, just walk them out on a frozen lake. With Trump in office things are only get to worse.

Link

The Autumn Wind
the amount of deregulation, corruption and lack of accountability we're gonna be seeing these next few years is really gonna be tremendous.
Don't forget what is guaranteed to be the least transparent administration of all time.

rjinaz

So do any of the Trump fans who liked "drain the swamp" want to try and explain why they voted to enable this?

All they know is that the country is going to get better now!

Some of them are probably right, it will get better, for them. The fact that it comes at the expense of others that are already at a disadvantage isn't their problem. Life is Darwin bitches.

ISOM

NYTimes is obviously the librul media trying to smear the goldy work Republicans will be doing.

Mr. Goodlatte defended the action in a statement issued Monday evening, saying it would strengthen ethics oversight in the House while also giving lawmakers better protections against what some members have called overzealous efforts by the Office of Congressional Ethics.
Not even bothering to make logical sense anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom