• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: House republicans gut independent ethics office

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklin0

Banned
As an outsider looking in, I'm once again boggled. How do you vote against an ethical oversight board setup in the wake of large scale unethical behaviour with a straight face? You can't even use the excuse "there's nothing unethical happening here".

Stay strong, 'merica.

Joke Answer: Economic Anxiety.

Real Answer: A mix of Racism, Cynicism, and a whole lot of ignorance did us over.

Republicans gonna be Republicans.

People should be directing their anger at Obama and the DNC for failing so spectacularly these past 8 years.

I don't blame them. The GOP is doing something idiotic and horrid that they shouldn't be. Those actions are the fault of the people in the GOP, not Obama and the DNC. Obama isn't the parent of these people. They're making disgusting choices under their own power.

I don't blame them. The GOP is doing something idiotic and horrid that they shouldn't be. Those actions are the fault of the people in the GOP, not Obama and the DNC. Obama isn't the parent of these people. They're making disgusting choices under their own power.

Yes, the GOP is doing something idiotic and horrid, but the GOP never claimed they'd be doing anything else. One weird trick to stopping them: win more elecions. The Democratic party is at its lowest ebb in its history, and it didn't start on November 8 2016.

The belief that demographics are making them undefeatable, as supposedly proven by Obama's two victories, made Democrats think they could afford to ignore uneducated voters and force through any nominee they wanted. They forgot their sole responsibility: keeping Republicans out of power.

Yes, the GOP is doing something idiotic and horrid, but the GOP never claimed they'd be doing anything else. One weird trick to stopping them: win more elecions. The Democratic party is at its lowest ebb in its history, and it didn't start on November 8 2016.

The belief that demographics are making them undefeatable, as supposedly proven by Obama's two victories, made Democrats think they could afford to ignore uneducated voters and force through any nominee they wanted. They forgot their sole responsibility: keeping Republicans out of power.
Ultimately, that's all on voters.

Razmos

If the corruption is so blindingly obvious why is there nothing in place to stop it?

How the fuck is trump still being elected president after it was discovered the election was rigged?

They are clearly evil and corrupt, and they just get away with it as much as they want, it's mind-boggling. Your country is a shitshow

Apparently this ethics office is just a liberal institution that epitomizes the swamp. At least, that's what the comment section of Fox news says.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
As much as I malign most of what the Republican party does, this one doesn't get me too bothered. This office has only been active since 2008 and I can't say I can think of many significant accomplishments. I can't say I find Congress to be a more ethically sound body since the inception of this office. In fact, it's gotten worse.

royalan

As much as I malign most of what the Republican party does, this one doesn't get me too bothered. This office has only been active since 2008 and I can't say I can think of many significant accomplishments. I can't say I find Congress to be a more ethically sound body since the inception of this office. In fact, it's gotten worse.

Now just consider that the people responsible for Congress getting even worse, even more corrupt, and even more unproductive, now want the ethics office gone...

I mean, if it was really ineffective, nobody'd care much about it. But the Republicans not only care about it, their first move in the new Congress is to get rid of this oversight. Like, the FIRST thing they do.

This is gross, and a pretty big deal.

EDIT: Expect Trump to tweet something distracting soon.

99% of discussion here now is "WELL THEY GOT WHAT THEY VOTED FOR"

complete apathy.

i think that shit is just as bad as "well its okay when the guy I voted for does it"

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

complete apathy.

i think that shit is just as bad as "well its okay when the guy I voted for does it"

We've basically lost control of a plane about to crash and we're the co-pilot laughing at the lead pilot for fucking up just before we die.

It's all we got at this point.

complete apathy.

Well, what exactly do you want us to do? For at least the next two years* they have full control of the government. For the time being liberals can't really do shit besides organize for future campaigns and show people what happens when the GOP can do whatever it wants.

Republicans are in fact, getting what they voted for. Pointing that out isn't apathy, it's the truth. If I could cast a spell that would instantly reverse what happened on Nov 8, I would do it.

*and looking at the 2018 map, democrats are mainly going to be on the defensive so a real shot at reversal won't happen till 2020.

complete apathy.

So are they not getting what they voted for?

I rather treat American voters as adults and hold them accountable for their decisions.

And I add a quote I found in another discussion: "Until the voters are responsible, how can we expect our government to be?"

Siegcram

complete apathy.

It's called accountability.

If someone depending on healthcare votes for the party that has made it its mission to utterly obliterate said healthcare ... that makes the first statement factual, no?

Right.

Blame the assholes who didn't vote. All 48 million of them.

They're going to get a big ol' helping of both are the same, and still be too stupid to realize their ignorance.

Bingo. Intellectually lazy progressives fucked us over. They are still patting themselves on the back for "sticking to their principles" while the country is about to go under.

Makes me fucking sick.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Now just consider that the people responsible for Congress getting even worse, even more corrupt, and even more unproductive, now want the ethics office gone...

I mean, if it was really ineffective, nobody'd care much about it. But the Republicans not only care about it, their first move in the new Congress is to get rid of this oversight. Like, the FIRST thing they do.

This is gross, and a pretty big deal.

EDIT: Expect Trump to tweet something distracting soon.
I'll have to look up the office's major accomplishments, I'm really just working from a lack of awareness and any outward signs of improvement in the body it has oversight over. I take it as a given that it must have been doing something right if the republicans want to repeal it, I just don't see that having amounted to much and so this doesn't strike me as big a loss as some of their other targets for repeal will be.

The amount of damage that is going to be done these next 4 years will make Bush years seem lame in comparison. All 3 branches of government, most state legislatures, and weak ass opposition.

We are fucked folks.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Republicans gonna be Republicans.

People should be directing their anger at Obama and the DNC for failing so spectacularly these past 8 years.
Shit like this is exactly how Republicans were just rewarded for being complete obstructionists during Obama's entire presidency.

Blaming republican voters is one thing.

Blaming non-voters? Ok.

But I want to aim at another target. Everyone who is not taking voter supression seriously. That non-voter count will increase in untold ways if we don't care to fix this issue.

Tigress

complete apathy.

I think that's more a feeling of helplessness and just a way to try to console themselves/ourselves.

It's not apathy, it's giving up (and I know cause I feel that way though it frustrates me cause all of us get what they voted for).

I seriously don't think the country will recover from the damage that's about to be unleashed; this country is done.

Yeah, I worry strongly this.

Shit like this is exactly how Republicans were just rewarded for being complete obstructionists during Obama's entire presidency.

No, shit like this is why people totally enamoured with Obama's presidency should've known better:

CxE80BiWIAAxIOQ.jpg

But please, continue to blame the people who are pulling the fire alarm instead of the fire.

There's plenty of blame to go around, I don't see why anybody should be excluded.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but blaming the electorate is like blaming the gravitational constant for airplane crashes. You can't dissolve the people and elect another.

In a democracy, it's the job of political operators to adapt to voters, not the other way around. I know that's a really sad concept for some people, but it has always been this way.

Blaming republican voters is one thing.

Blaming non-voters? Ok.

But I want to aim at another target. Everyone who is not taking voter supression seriously. That non-voter count will increase in untold ways if we don't care to fix this issue.

Voter suppression, foreign hacking, electoral snafu. I'd be surprised if anyone votes in 2018. The entire thing is fucked.

Desi

Better to hear but I shall read the article before further comment.

Edit: "as unfair as it may be"?? Oh god

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom