• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: House republicans gut independent ethics office

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There is plenty of blame to go around, but blaming the electorate is like blaming the gravitational constant for airplane crashes. You can't dissolve the people and elect another.

In a democracy, it's the job of political operators to adapt to voters, not the other way around. I know that's a really sad concept for some people, but it has always been this way.
I don't disagree, but I do see this reasoning most vocally from a group of people who think the solution to this problem is running more aggressively progressive candidates when the numbers show that downticket left of Hillary actually performed worse than her in November. Like...what do you do when it turns out the electorate apparently just doesn't want progressivism?

Siegcram

It's not like Trump gives a fuck either way, he's probably just mad nobody told him beforehand.

And wanted to use his hashtag again.

rjinaz

I asked a couple. No response except, "He's not in office yet, let's wait and see what happens."

We're going to see a lot of this I expect. It will move to, well let's wait another year, then well let's wait until his next term when he can really get things done. Then when he doesn't get that second term, it will be confirmation in their minds that they were always right, and that Trump just wasn't given a fair chance because the world was out to get him and his beliefs which they all share.

We're going to see a lot of this I expect. It will move to, well let's wait another year, then well let's wait until his next term when he can really get things done. Then when he doesn't get that second term, it will be confirmation in their minds that they were always right, and that Trump just wasn't given a fair chance because the world was out to get him and his beliefs which they all share.

These are basically the same people who spent the entire campaign season talking about how Trump was going to become more "presidential" soon.

Blaming republican voters is one thing.

Blaming non-voters? Ok.

But I want to aim at another target. Everyone who is not taking voter supression seriously. That non-voter count will increase in untold ways if we don't care to fix this issue.

This is the largest issue. This year showed how voter suppression is causing nationwide losses. You cannot win when your constituents can't even vote for you.

They spent how many millions of dollars and wasted hundreds of man hours investigating Emails and Benghazi? But Ethics investigations targeting them are overzealous?

Fuck.
Off.

I don't disagree, but I do see this reasoning most vocally from a group of people who think the solution to this problem is running more aggressively progressive candidates when the numbers show that downticket left of Hillary actually performed worse than her in November. Like...what do you do when it turns out the electorate apparently just doesn't want progressivism?

I don't think Dems need to abandon progressiveness though, just be more politically agreeable with the public than a Hillary Clinton or Nancy Pelosi. Sometimes it's all about optics. Tony Blair was a man who knew about winning elections for the left, and he said that most people fundamentally do want to vote for the progressive party, but they absolutely need to feel safe in doing so.

They spent how many millions of dollars and wasted hundreds of man hours investigating Emails and Benghazi? But Ethics investigations targeting them are overzealous?

Fuck.
Off.
Double standards are the best standards. Too bad it doesn't seem to bite the Republicans in the ass during elections.

g4iPcoX.png

EDIT: It was unanimous consent too. Word has it all the ground work of calling in this morning work like gangbusters.

Jamie DupreeVerified account
‏@jamiedupree
House GOP now in closed door meeting. Rep Walter Jones R-NC says his office swamped with calls on ethics changes

br3wnor

g4iPcoX.png

EDIT: It was unanimous consent too. Word has it all the ground work of calling in this morning work like gangbusters.

Jamie DupreeVerified account
‏@jamiedupree
House GOP now in closed door meeting. Rep Walter Jones R-NC says his office swamped with calls on ethics changes

Wow, genuinely surprised by this. Glad to hear that public pressure (and [maybe?] Trump) got them to back away.

So the very fact that this scenario is even possible just shows how toothless the ethics oversight actually is. The House simply shouldn't be allowed to make changes to its own oversight, period. All this does is point out how fundamentally broken the system is, and even if it got a temporary reprieve, this will still end up happening when no one is looking down the line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2006

But yes, historically Dems have a hard time showing up for Midterms. I do have hope that they'll show up 2018 since they have a very clear reason to. They often need a face to vote for or against, and having Trump in office will put a fire under people to come out and vote.

Hopefully, anyway.

Sorry, I hope they do so also.

It's hard not to feel demoralized lately.

digdug2k

Heh. I was all like "Oh good, they realized it was a bad idea" until I read the article and saw they (including Trump) actually just said "Let's wait a few weeks before doing this".

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Totally. If people get the idea that calling in works, it could be a game changer.

It has always been the case. If people would call their reps instead of going to facebook to complain, people will see just how powerful their opinion can be. I read an article from a staffer who said that when people call, it gets their attention. Emails get zero attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom