• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: House republicans gut independent ethics office

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do any of the Trump fans who liked "drain the swamp" want to try and explain why they voted to enable this?

SgvhwT1.jpg

Apparently the committee is actually the swamp

Exis

I often wonder what the suicide rate is among older people. I for one did not start soon enough and it is going to be a terrifying thing getting too old to work.

olag

Can you actually have a moral high ground anymore in American politics?

I mean at this stage it seems that appealing to the morale sensibilities of the masses isn't working out for the democrats and any progress made in the last 8 years is about to get damaged, probably irreparably.Is it time for the democrats to change tactics as well and start slinging mud?

Either way the next 4 years are going to be......."entertaining" to watch.

You see it's about ethics in.....wait, given their new base of white supremacists(alt right), wouldn't they be for ethics in politics??

cress2000

The Republican party: so obviously fucking corrupt beyond hope to anyone with a functioning brain. Americans: too many brainwashed beyond hope to fire the current Republican party.

You did well with your networks of asininery, Rupert Murdoch. Are you happy now?

Foffy

Banned
When can we call the GOP public terrorists and not have people be shocked at the language used?

It needs to start happening...

Vena

Wait, how can they vote to remove their own oversight? Shouldn't that be handled by an external agency/branch? Aren't most oversight committees and agencies set-up by multiple branches and then left to operate independently so that they... you know... provide oversight?

I can I vote to remove laws from applying to myself?

Oh shit, you're right I should just bring this thread TO THEM in some other thread where they defend Trump.
Won't matter. GAF is somewhat of an echo chamber, whether it be from the site's moderation style or conservatives' noted unwillingness to engage in political discourse with those who disagree with them. You aren't going to reach any die hards here. This news will not deter any of them, either.

Relevant:

Journalists & Trump Voters Live In Seperate Online Bubbles
https://news.vice.com/story/journalists-and-trump-voters-live-in-separate-online-bubbles-mit-analysis-shows
qQHhw4n.png

g7psBCM.png

“All of this paints a bleak picture of online political discourse,” said John West, a data journalist at the MIT Media Lab who worked on the study. “It is one balkanized by ideology and issue-interest, with little potential for information flow between the online cocoons — or between the loud and important cluster of exclusive Trump followers and the institutionalized media users that are supposed to be political discourse’s immune system.”

Trump, his supporters, and the persistence of the ‘reality gap’
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-his-supporters-and-the-persistence-the-reality-gap
* Unemployment: Under President Obama, job growth has been quite strong, and the unemployment rate has improved dramatically. PPP, however, found that 67% of Trump voters believe the unemployment rate went up under Obama – which is the exact opposite of reality.

* Stock Market: Since the president was elected, the stock market has soared, nearly tripling since the height of the Great Recession. PPP found that 39% of Trump voters believe the market has gone down under Obama – which is also the exact opposite of reality.

* Popular Vote: As of this morning, Hillary Clinton received roughly 2.7 million more votes than Donald Trump, but PPP nevertheless found that 40% of Trump voters believe he won the popular vote – which is, once again, the exact opposite of reality.

* Voter Fraud: Even Trump’s lawyers concede there was no voter fraud in the presidential election, but PPP found that 60% of Trump voters apparently believe “millions” of illegal ballots were cast for Clinton in 2016 – which isn’t even close to resembling reality.

* Soros Conspiracy Theory: A whopping 73% of Trump voters believe George Soros is paying anti-Trump protesters – though in reality, George Soros is not paying anti-Trump protesters.

We are, in other words, looking at a political landscape in which much of the president-elect’s core base appears to be living in an alternate reality.

I know we think we're clever constantly harping on the swamp draining nonsense, but the fact is Republicans adore his choices and what their party is doing.

Views of President-elect Trump and his administration
http://www.people-press.org/2016/12/08/1-views-of-president-elect-trump-and-his-administration/
Eight-in-ten Republicans and Republican leaners say they approve of Trump’s cabinet choices and other high level appointments. By contrast, just 11% of Democrats and Democratic leaners say they approve of these selections. Ratings among Democrats today are far lower than the 49% of Republicans who said they approved of Obama’s initial cabinet choices in December 2008 and the 44% of Democrats who said the approved of Bush’s selections in January 2001.

1_2.png

1_6.png

A new poll shows 52% of Republicans actually think Trump won the popular vote
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/12/18/a-new-poll-shows-an-astonishing-52-of-republicans-think-trump-won-the-popular-vote/?utm_term=.02851732ffee
Respondents’ correct understanding of the popular vote depended a great deal on partisanship. A large fraction of Republicans — 52 percent — said Trump won the popular vote, compared with only 7 percent of Democrats and 24 percent of independents. Among Republicans without any college education, the share was even larger: 60 percent, compared with 37 percent of Republicans with a college degree.

imrs.php

These results align with something social scientists have long recognized: We choose facts to be consistent with our prior beliefs. In this case, Republicans are more likely to endorse erroneous claims about Trump’s victory because it aligns with their partisanship. They do not, however, have any partisan motivation when estimating the size of minority groups.

If the Republican electors are anything like the party rank and file, they may think voting for Trump is in line with the choices of the American people.

Also relevant:

‘Post-truth’ named 2016 word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/11/16/post-truth-named-2016-word-of-the-year-by-oxford-dictionaries/?utm_term=.f68085849edf
It's official: Truth is dead. Facts are passe.

And this sentiment — 😂 — is so last year.

Oxford Dictionaries has selected “post-truth” as 2016's international word of the year, after the contentious “Brexit” referendum and an equally divisive U.S. presidential election caused usage of the adjective to skyrocket, according to the Oxford University Press.

The dictionary defines “post-truth” as “relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.”

In this case, the “post-” prefix doesn't mean “after” so much as it implies an atmosphere in which a notion is irrelevant — but then again, who says you have to take our word for it anymore?

rjinaz

Wait, how can they vote to remove their own oversight? Shouldn't that be handled by an external agency/branch? Aren't most oversight committees and agencies set-up by multiple branches and then left to operate independently so that they... you know... provide oversight?

If you are a police officer or a member of congress, of course!

Vena

So how does one go about countering post-truth?

I mean, equilibrium will inevitably return (it always does) when Republicans kill the country but what do we do before that eventuality?

We won't be able to.

The system set up by the founding fathers officially failed November 8th, 2016.

Onto the next super power.

Defeatism is dumb. You have no idea what will happen this year, let alone in four.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Defeatism is dumb. You have no idea what will happen this year, let alone in four.
There is also absolutely fucking zero reason to assume anything but the fucking worst considering the shit that has already been put into motion before that fascist fuck actually takes office. People have every reason to be pissed.

Whoever came up with the oversight committee didn't take into account that someone could try to remove it down the road.

bionic77

:lol

Calm down guys. Lets give fascism a chance. What the fuck have we got to lose? Look at the prosperity and stability that we have had to suffer through for the past few decades. The people just can't take anymore of it.

Love live Ameristan.

i-Lo

Americans, you know what's even scarier? The inevitable follow-up propaganda for normalizing these actions.

Gutek

Americans, you know what's even scarier? The inevitable follow-up propaganda for normalizing these actions.

I doubt this information is going to reach the average American. And if it does, they don't give a fuck.

The Republican party: so obviously fucking corrupt beyond hope to anyone with a functioning brain. Americans: too many brainwashed beyond hope to fire the current Republican party.

You did well with your networks of asininery, Rupert Murdoch. Are you happy now?

That old piece of corrupt shit is beyond happy.

The most evil piece of shit alive.

You will wake up one day and immediately be cognizant of everything that ended in November.

It's going to be like a train through everyone's living room. Just because those who have been passionate about politics since 9/11 and the financial crisis sound defeated, doesn't mean their knowledge is any less a realistic portrayal of what is actually happening in the world.

Sauron got his ring and we gave it to him. Defeatism...no. Reality.

Spat_triate

What's the big deal? Law enforcement already polices itself without some ethical namby-pambies getting in the way.

Be reasonable, how can our representatives devote 90% of their time promising wealthy donors favors in exchange for money, if they are expected to be held accountable by an independent board?

Vena

There is also absolutely fucking zero reason to assume anything but the fucking worst considering the shit that has already been put into motion before that fascist fuck actually takes office. People have every reason to be pissed.

Being pissed isn't just tossing up your hands and declaring everything over.

So how does one go about countering post-truth?

I mean, equilibrium will inevitably return (it always does) when Republicans kill the country but what do we do before that eventuality?
Wish I knew. I only see the political landscape of this country becoming more extreme and partisan going forward. For Republicans, politics might as well be total war now. Absolute gross power grabs like we see in NC and behavior we've witnessed throughout Trump's rise will become more common because Liberals Are The Enemy and anything is justifiable in the pursuit of their defeat. The GOP will be testing to see what they can and can't get away with and I suspect they'll get away with a lot. Democrats will either adopt this aggressively combative mindset, further widening the divide, or they will continue treating this "game" like an athletic competition replete with necessary sportsmanship.

Either way, whew boy the next couple of years will be exciting. I'm quietly hoping that the half of the country too apathetic to vote will awaken someday like Goku going SSJ, a sleeping giant the GOP might accidentally rouse by taking things too far, too fast, too boldly. But I can't imagine anything less extreme than a draft or a few nukes dropping making that happen.

Alternatively, maybe I'm just being too doom and gloom and the next 4-8 years will be surprisingly peachy.

Vena

For Republicans, politics might as well be total war now. Absolute gross power grabs like we see in NC ...

I'm quietly hoping that the half of the country too apathetic to vote will awaken someday like Goku going SSJ, a sleeping giant the GOP might accidentally rouse by taking things too far, too fast, too boldly.

Well, the first clause already caused the second to occur in NC. You know, the one that caused them to lose: governorship, supreme court, and in 2017 their supermajority in the legislature.

There's only so far you can push before people do actually come out to vote, NC bucked the national movements with a very angry pushback. And then they were made angrier because the GOP lost control and went into full, blatant panic. With their "precision surgical" gerrymandering erased, they will at the very least lose their supermajority if they don't outright lose total control of NC.

That said, ya, it will be interesting but really am looking into how fake news and this polarization can be combated. Truth is a nasty fella, she always comes back when you least want her to and she stabs you in the back. Fact can be differed, they can't be ignored in perpetuity... it just gets worse the longer you pretend to exist outside of reality.

I mean, its going to be an utter shit show, for instance, when they repeal Obamacare. The more progressive states already have their own plans and contingencies as they exist inside of reality, but many red states are in this post-truth world and when their health disappears, facts will be knocking. Or when the reality of Trump being an inexperienced leader and egotistical asshole brings him into massive conflicts with his own party in power... and, at this point, he's expendable.

UraMallas

These motherfuckers. It's shit like this that makes it hard to see the point of view of a Republican-supporter. It's morally bankrupt.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have only posted about Wii games and berserk anime for the last three or four years but i suddenly feel strongly that we should all talk about how Hillary caused this.

Gutek

I have only posted about Wii games and berserk anime for the last three or four years but i suddenly feel strongly that we should all talk about how Hillary caused this.

Hillary would've done the same thing + war with Russia. It's obvious.

Swamp this, swamp that. It's clear that Swamp just means Democrats to them, so little need in calling out that hypocrisy. What supporters there are around here don't defend these actions in these news threads, they save their energy for "Every intelligence agency is unreliable and personally responsible for Iraq" in the Russia hacking discussions.

You will wake up one day and immediately be cognizant of everything that ended in November.

It's going to be like a train through everyone's living room. Just because those who have been passionate about politics since 9/11 and the financial crisis sound defeated, doesn't mean their knowledge is any less a realistic portrayal of what is actually happening in the world.

Sauron got his ring and we gave it to him. Defeatism...no. Reality.

History has proven time and time again that this kind of shit doesn't last.

Eventually things will swing the other way again and we can fix what's broken.

The real evil here is this kind of nihilistic attitude and every time I see people like you using the word: "reality" like they've got a freaking crystal ball.

Yes, reality freaking sucks, but history has proven time and time again that it's been able to "un-suck" itself. In the meantime, there needs to be efforts on minimizing the damage, rather than lying down and letting these people step all over you for the next 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom