• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Trump admin knew Flynn was under investigation before inauguration

Tagyhag

Are we really gonna get President Orrin Hatch?
KuGsj.gif

Honestly that'd be the best case scenario, dude isn't 100% evil.

Im not very familiar with the US system, but what would happen in the case of Trump and Flynn both going down, a new election?
No. There is a clear line of succession for the presidency and vice presidency. Elections are ever only every 4 years for the president and offset 2 years for some House/senate elections.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Im not very familiar with the US system, but what would happen in the case of Trump and Flynn both going down, a new election?

There's a line of succession. Given the news today, if Trump goes down then Pence will follow and maybe Ryan after that. That means President Orrin Hatch, unless he's also done something.

johnsmith

remember me
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article151149647.html

Flynn stopped military plan Turkey opposed – after being paid as its agent

One of the Trump administration’s first decisions about the fight against the Islamic State was made by Michael Flynn weeks before he was fired – and it conformed to the wishes of Turkey, whose interests, unbeknownst to anyone in Washington, he’d been paid more than $500,000 to represent.

The decision came 10 days before Donald Trump had been sworn in as president, in a conversation with President Barack Obama’s national security adviser, Susan Rice, who had explained the Pentagon’s plan to retake the Islamic State’s de facto capital of Raqqa with Syrian Kurdish forces whom the Pentagon considered the U.S.’s most effective military partners. Obama’s national security team had decided to ask for Trump’s sign-off, since the plan would all but certainly be executed after Trump had become president.

Flynn didn’t hesitate. According to timelines distributed by members of Congress in the weeks since, Flynn told Rice to hold off, a move that would delay the military operation for months.

If Flynn explained his answer, that’s not recorded, and it’s not known whether he consulted anyone else on the transition team before rendering his verdict. But his position was consistent with the wishes of Turkey, which had long opposed the United States partnering with the Kurdish forces – and which was his undeclared client.

Trump eventually would approve the Raqqa plan, but not until weeks after Flynn had been fired.

Now members of Congress, musing about the tangle of legal difficulties Flynn faces, cite that exchange with Rice as perhaps the most serious: acting on behalf of a foreign nation – from which he had received considerable cash – when making a military decision. Some members of Congress, in private conversations, have even used the word “treason” to describe Flynn’s intervention, though experts doubt that his actions qualify.

Piichan

Banned
Can't wait for these fuckers to go down. When they do, I hope it won't just be Trump and Pence, but all the rotten apples.

What are the best options for a replacing government/president? Anything better than just a GOP dude who will continue to push their shitty agenda undoing everything Obama did?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NYT/WaPo need to pace this shit out. What will they have left for tomorrow?

Pee Pee Tape

Honest to god though, who the fuck knows at this point. All I know is tomorrow at 6PM I will be sitting on my computer f5ing webpages for the NYTimes and WaPo like a madman.

ICO_SotC

Flynn didn’t hesitate. According to timelines distributed by members of Congress in the weeks since, Flynn told Rice to hold off, a move that would delay the military operation for months.

Ah, I guess that short lived 48 hour attempt at smearing Rice a couple of weeks ago (remember that?) may have sprung from this. She will probably be a witness against him.

Drakeon

Can't wait for these fuckers to go down. When they do, I hope it won't just be Trump and Pence, but all the rotten apples.

What are the best options for a replacing government/president? Anything better than just a GOP dude who will continue to push their shitty agenda undoing everything Obama did?
We'll get President Hatch, he's 4th in line for succession and not obviously implicated. Unless Ryan comes out clean, but Pence is definitely compromised.

Brinbe

Holy shit, that Turkey news is definitely significant. Flynn had a direct impact on US Foreign Policy and WAS BEING INFLUENCED BY TURKEY. Not only that but the transition team KNEW HE WAS COMPROMISED AND DID NOTHING? PENCE should be jailed.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is grounds for treason isnt it? Trump knew Flynn was under investigation for leaking shit to Russian spies and he still gave him access to ALL the top secret classified information we have. How is that not treason?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Holy shit, that Turkey news is definitely significant. Flynn had a direct impact on US Foreign Policy and the transition team KNEW AND DID NOTHING? PENCE should be jailed

I sincerely hope they all die in prison. But I hope Trump lives long enough to know that he's considered the worst president in history.

I was taking care of a baby, what happened that invalidates Pence and Ryan? That they were on the transition team? I don't see a thread and Twitter is moving too fast!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was taking care of a baby, what happened that invalidates Pence and Ryan? That they were on the transition team? I don't see a thread and Twitter is moving too fast!

Pence ran the transition team, which means he knew Flynn was compromised and under investigation.

Top Bottom