• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broseybrose

Alpha-Bromega said:
what? save money? the money we barely have leftover because we have shitty jobs becaue we don't have degrees? Degrees that are almost necessary to participate in the global economy?

You guys are Completely missing the point by thirty miles and a kilometer too, public University SHOULD NOT BE THIS EXPENSIVE EVER. EVER.

It was a collaborative manipulation between banks and the government to increase the amount of loans available, and then to artificially increase the tuition with that. It's taking advantage of people trying to better their economic opportunities, something you guys would say people should do when they're poor.

The point is that NO ONE SHOULD GO IN THIS MUCH DEBT TO GET A UNI EDUCATION EVER. literally ever, I don't understand how you guys can even roundabout defend this shit?

Americans are so willing to eat shit and like it, holy fuck.

internetfistbump.jpg

You're alright, Alpha Bromega.

snoopen

sorry guys, this is the dumbest and most time wasteful thing i have ever seen, here in Australia police are using force to manhandle 'protesters' (ie squatters) away from public places. thank god our police are competent, i've seen some liveleak footage of other places (US mainly) and they just aren't very good at keeping peace and using normal force (ie no weapons)

BAC dumps 75 trillion of derivatives on US taxpayers.

Old news but some of the people in this thread need some learnin.

Quote Summary: (not the full article)

Bank of America (BAC) has shifted about $22 trillion worth of derivative obligations from Merrill Lynch and the BAC holding company to the FDIC insured retail deposit division. Along with this information came the revelation that the FDIC insured unit was already stuffed with $53 trillion worth of these potentially toxic obligations, making a total of $75 trillion.

It was the derivatives that were the primary catalyst triggering the global economic crisis of 2008. The U.S. government committed hundreds of billions of dollars to bail out AIG's counter-parties, including the biggest banks of Europe and America. AIG was not FDIC insured and should have been allowed to fail. All the banks on Wall Street that would have failed should have failed.

Bank executives not only didn't need to go bankrupt, as they should have, but collected huge bonuses. Later, in response to the abuse, Congress passed the Dodd-Frank legislation and the Volcker rule. These were supposed to insure that such bailouts were not needed in the future. Supposedly, this would prevent further abuse of the American taxpayer.

The most recent abuse-event, involving BAC, illustrates the uselessness of such laws. Bank of America NA is FDIC insured, and has the blessing of the Federal Reserve, in spite of such a transaction being prohibited by Section 23A of the Federal Reserve Act.

The FDIC opposed the move, but there is nothing the FDIC can do, except file a petition for a writ of mandamus in court, against the Federal Reserve, seeking a declaration that the approval was illegal. But, the FDIC would lose, because Congress has given the Federal Reserve Board ultimate power to do whatever it wishes under the Federal Reserve Act.

So, the bottom line is this: When something bad happens, and the derivative obligations are triggered, the FDIC will be on the hook, thanks to the Federal Reserve. The counter-parties of Bank of America, both inside America and elsewhere around the world, will be safely bailed out by the full faith and credit of the USA. Meanwhile, the taxpayers and dollar denominated savers will be fleeced again. This latest example of misconduct illustrates the error of allowing a bank-controlled entity, like the Federal Reserve, complete power over the nation's monetary system. The so-called "reforms" enacted by Congress, in the wake of the 2008 crash, have vested more, and not less, power in the Federal Reserve, and supplied us with more, rather than less instability and problems.

If you don't support occupy wall-street you are part of the problem and if you work for BAC you are working for a terrorist organization.

unclesamdeal.gif

marrec

Banned
Alpha-Bromega said:
It sucks because it can not be this way, it really can, but it's really like many Americans don't even want the situation to be better. That we should be let to eat cake, while we carve statues of your achievements that you break into the lower middle class while those above you filtered what could have been your benefits into their own pockets. But they'll accept that, because well maybe that CEO really deserved that raise? If i worked hard enough, maybe he'll give us back our maternity leave or something?

The problem is the people aren't focusing on the right solutions to the right problem. The problem isn't Student Loans. They are completely optional and equating paying back a 5% loan with slavery is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in months. I've been through this pages and pages back, but if you feel like you're forced to take on Student Loans to get an education then you better make it count instead of borrowing 40k on a junk degree.

The problem is the politicians are in bed with the corporations. Stop the corruption there, shut off that money, and just maybe our Politicians will start making better decisions. That's a trickle-down theory I can get behind.

Quixzlizx

Alpha-Bromega said:
do you understand structural slavery? it's similar to indentured servitude, another form of modern slavery.

College in the modern world is a RIGHT, and in the United States the costs for college are literally unaffordable for almost every single person. This is not so in most other civilized nations.

The tuition is high in order to get us to take more loans, its another market for banks, so yes, it is a form of slavery when IT CAN NEVER GO AWAY.

You lack any sort of understanding on the subject, don't assume shit.

The tuition is high (in private schools) because the government backs cheap loans, allowing people to borrow more money to pay tuition.

There are plenty of affordable public schools (I went to one of them).

Wazzim

Banned
Alpha-Bromega said:
Americans are so willing to eat shit and like it, holy fuck.
QFT

This is the core of the problem, I know many US citizens that actually want to change things so it's certainly not all but there are still too many with this shitty mentality of 'Deal with it'. You don't have to deal with it.

gkryhewy

snoopen said:
sorry guys, this is the dumbest and most time wasteful thing i have ever seen, here in Australia police are using force to manhandle 'protesters' (ie squatters) away from public places. thank god our police are competent, i've seen some liveleak footage of other places (US mainly) and they just aren't very good at keeping peace and using normal force (ie no weapons)
It may indeed be a waste of time in australia, where unemployment is low, everyone has health care, and even servers at restaurants make a living wage with benefits. Things are different in the US.

gkryhewy said:
It may indeed be a waste of time in australia, where unemployment is low, everyone has health care, and even servers at restaurants make a living wage with benefits. Things are different in the US.

it's for solidarity

Enron

Banned
Alpha-Bromega said:
do you understand structural slavery? it's similar to indentured servitude, another form of modern slavery.

College in the modern world is a RIGHT, and in the United States the costs for college are literally unaffordable for almost every single person. This is not so in most other civilized nations.

The tuition is high in order to get us to take more loans, its another market for banks, so yes, it is a form of slavery when IT CAN NEVER GO AWAY.

Are you serious? Are you seriously saying someone else lacks understanding on the subject when you yourself spouted nonsense such as this? College is NOT some incredibly expensive thing only available to those willing to take out massive loans. It's not out of reach for LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE PERSON. Do you actually live in the US?

Private school tuition might be high, but there are always state universities you can go to that are really really affordable. Some states even have scholarship programs that pay for your entire tuition and fees so long as you maintain a certain GPA. People graduate from college in the US all the time from state schools without massive debt.

Good Lord.

alstein

Enron said:
Are you serious? Are you seriously saying someone else lacks understanding on the subject when you yourself spouted nonsense such as this? College is NOT some incredibly expensive thing only available to those willing to take out massive loans. It's not out of reach for LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE PERSON. Do you actually live in the US?

Private school tuition might be high, but there are always state universities you can go to that are really really affordable. Some states even have scholarship programs that pay for your entire tuition and fees so long as you maintain a certain GPA. People graduate from college in the US all the time from state schools without massive debt.

Good Lord.

State universities are much more affordable in some states then others.

Personally, I think we need fewer university spots so there's more competition for them.

I'm sure as hell not the 1%, but apparently I'm not the 99% percent either and I'm starting to wonder where that puts me. 5 years ago I decided to go back to school. I found a school I could afford and worked my fucking ass off to pay for it for 2 years. Then I decided it was too much work and I found a reasonable loan, finished school, spend 6 months unemployed after the restaurant shut down and nearly lost everything I had. I finally got a job, I'm making decent money, and I'm repaying my loan fine. It's not easy, but I only did it by working harder than I ever have. It feels like I have people telling me I'm a slave, I never had any choice in my own decisions and what I've accomplished by working my god damned ass of was totally impossible. I've had people tell me I'm just one of the lucky one as if I didn't earn any of it and there's just no way they can to the same.

Fuck the %1, I understand the massive disparity in wealth and control but in the end I think I'm just reaching the same conclusion I've always reached, I hate everyone : ( and I think every last person in this country (man, women and child) needs a swift kick in the ass. No group represents me but me and I'm lumped in with so many people that don't represent me at all. The trouble I've had in the last 10 years getting by and making ends meet is largely because I've been a fucking lazy-ass and it wasn't until I figured that out that it got better. Again, of course that isn't the same for everyone, but some how making my life better in these tough times means I performed fucking magic.

The message is important, but it also bring with it people who don't take any responsibility for themselves at all, and that isn't helping the message. It's not just about student loans either. So many people who lost their ass on adjustable rate mortgages a few years ago and so many of them acted like they had no idea what they had signed up for. People who can't pay bills but own any number of excessive, expensive things they now consider core to their existence.

I think I just hate everyone :/

Please don't take this as an attack of people who want to make things better. I'm just sick of being in arguments the last few weeks with 2 sides and not being on either of them apparently. /venting

alstein

BobTheFork said:
I'm sure as hell not the 1%, but apparently I'm not the 99% percent either and I'm starting to wonder where that puts me. 5 years ago I decided to go back to school. I found a school I could afford and worked my fucking ass off to pay for it for 2 years. Then I decided it was too much work and I found a reasonable loan, finished school, spend 6 months unemployed after the restaurant shut down and nearly lost everything I had. I finally got a job, I'm making decent money, and I'm repaying my loan fine. It's not easy, but I only did it by working harder than I ever have. It feels like I have people telling me I'm a slave, I never had any choice in my own decisions and what I've accomplished by working my god damned ass of was totally impossible. I've had people tell me I'm just one of the lucky one as if I didn't earn any of it and there's just no way they can to the same.

Fuck the %1, I understand the massive disparity in wealth and control but in the end I think I'm just reaching the same conclusion I've always reached, I hate everyone : ( and I think every last person in this country (man, women and child) needs a swift kick in the ass. No group represents me but me and I'm lumped in with so many people that don't represent me at all. The trouble I've had in the last 10 years getting by and making ends meet is largely because I've been a fucking lazy-ass and it wasn't until I figured that out that it got better. Again, of course that isn't the same for everyone, but some how making my life better in these tough times means I performed fucking magic.

The message is important, but it also bring with it people who don't take any responsibility for themselves at all, and that isn't helping the message. It's not just about student loans either. So many people who lost their ass on adjustable rate mortgages a few years ago and so many of them acted like they had no idea what they had signed up for. People who can't pay bills but own any number of excessive, expensive things they now consider core to their existence.

I think I just hate everyone :/

Please don't take this as an attack of people who want to make things better. I'm just sick of being in arguments the last few weeks with 2 sides and not being on either of them apparently. /venting

You should be part of the 99% and helping to shape their arguments. From what I've seen, there's two camps: one wants to work on the root causes of the problem, the other wants handouts. I support the first group and am not overly sympathetic to the 2nd.

The system is flat-out hard broken, but it's fixable. It doesn't need to be replaced with another broken system.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
BAC dumps 75 trillion of derivatives on US taxpayers.

Old news but some of the people in this thread need some learnin.

Quote Summary: (not the full article)

If you don't support occupy wall-street you are part of the problem and if you work for BAC you are working for a terrorist organization.

unclesamdeal.gif
I took my money out of BAC this week. It was a quick process that only took 4 minutes. No questions asked. I recommend it to everyone.

Alpha-Bromega said:
it truly hurts my heart to see Americans just antagonist against eachother like this, like we're in a pile of shit and we just throw shit on eachother not looking at the shitter, ha. it's hopeless. Maybe I have been affected by Europe way too much, because the concept of having healthcare is no longer alien because no way in ten hells will i have coverage in the U.S., and the concept of going to University without selling your soul is just the norm.

but here in America we want to shit on those who are shit on, not seeing that the entire point is that University Education should be affordable for all, not manipulated in a way that it's unnatainable except without the help of entities that will hold you by the balls until you die. Is that really how we want to continue educating the American populace? what the fuck, dudes? you embarrass me

It's like people saying that they work three jobs and that you should try harder if you are having trouble getting by. Yea, I could work three jobs to get by (neglecting the fact that there aren't that many free jobs around), but isn't the more important issue point that you shouldn't have to work 90 hours a week and that you have to work three jobs to produce a livable wage?

It's sad really, some of our systems are so flawed but we just throw insults at each other because everyone is so polarized. At the end of the day we all have philosophical differences but probably want the same thing.

Enron said:

Good Lord.

I attend state University. NAU tuition is 5,000 per semester.

ASU tuition is 8,000 per semester.

are you going to say with a straight fucking face that that is affordable? for anybody? fuck you dude, seriously.

and scholarships are not systematic, they exist because they will be rarely distributed. So it's meaningless in any systematic manner because they are rare by nature, even if everyone were to get perfect GPA's (like i've had for the past 3 years, btw) there'd not be 20,000,000 scholarships to everyone.

And saying "People graduate without massive debt all the time!" is so fucking stupid to even have to be said, ever, holy shit. People shouldn't be in debt AT ALL for attending state university dude, hollllllllllly shit. This isn't prestigious private school, this isn't Ivy League, this isn't business school, this is Public University. i mean, wow.

We've really gone off the deep end here, fellas.

alstein said:
You should be part of the 99% and helping to shape their arguments. From what I've seen, there's two camps: one wants to work on the root causes of the problem, the other wants handouts. I support the first group and am not overly sympathetic to the 2nd.

The system is flat-out hard broken, but it's fixable. It doesn't need to be replaced with another broken system.
That's true, but I worry that what's wrong with the system is just people in general. Unfortunately, I can freely admit that I don't know enough to fix the system and have no fucking clue what should be done. It seems like the only fix is to have the %1 willingly give up the control of money and power, or take it by force....good luck with either of those

Bromega, no that's not affordable so I went to a school that was around ~2500 a semester. If you didn't have the option of a school at that range, then that's a totally different problem. The title on my degree didn't land me my current job, I did.

jchap

Enron said:

Good Lord.

The thinking in this thread in many cases is that personal responsibility is not even a factor in anyone's hardships. There are issues with the system; it is too expensive; the non-degree related requirements are too many; and the market is over-saturated with many degrees, but to end up in massive debt with an non-employable skill is not solely the fault of the system.

There are many paths for progressing through higher education without loans (good high school academics, many unclaimed scholarships, employee education programs, community colleges, *GASP* A JOB, etc.). Unfortunately, many students treat higher education as a four year party and exert minimal effort towards their degree. I do feel some pity for the situation that these people find themselves in when the stark reality hits them and they realize they have no differentiated skills and are basically unable to find work related to their degree, but they DO share some culpability in that fate in almost every case. To deny personal responsibility plays any role at all is to ignore at least 50% of the problem.

Would it even be worth it for our government to subsidize people like this, who still would not have employable skills?

alstein

Anslon said:
I took my money out of BAC this week. It was a quick process that only took 4 minutes. No questions asked. I recommend it to everyone.

Unfortunately, the amount of money the 99% has is too little to matter to BOA. You need to go after the companies that BOA sponsors- that's the step that has to be taken.

Maybe go after the Carolina Panthers or something if you're local

jchap said:
The thinking in this thread in many cases is that personal responsibility is not even a factor in anyone's hardships. There are issues with the system; it is too expensive; the non-degree related requirements are too many; and the market is over-saturated with many degrees, but to end up in massive debt with an non-employable skill is not solely the fault of the system.

There are many paths for progressing through higher education without loans
(good high school academics, many unclaimed scholarships, employee education programs, community colleges, *GASP* A JOB, etc.). Unfortunately, many students treat higher education as a four year party and exert minimal effort towards their degree. I do feel some pity for the situation that these people find themselves in when the stark reality hits them and they realize they have no differentiated skills and are basically unable to find work related to their degree, but they DO share some culpability in that fate in almost every case. To deny personal responsibility plays any role at all is to ignore at least 50% of the problem.

Would it even be worth it for our government to subsidize people like this, who still would not have employable skills?

the assumptions you are making here are so fucked that it honestly just depresses me. All I can do is just say fuck you, you presumptious ass.

If you tried to say this shit in person, to actual humans, you'd get seriously fucked up so quickly. You don't piss on people like that and try to hide it through some bullshit veil of objectivity .

Is your understanding of Uni passed through some sort of weird kaleidoscope of idiocy? 4 year party? trying to imply we're lazy? stilllll trying to show that scholarships are some sort of saving grace when they are RARE BY NATURE and don't do anything in a larger context except help individuals rather than the larger society educated?

jchap

Alpha-Bromega said:
the assumptions you are making here are so fucked that it honestly just depresses me. All I can do is just say fuck you, you presumptious ass.

If you tried to say this shit in person, to actual humans, you'd get seriously fucked up so quickly. You don't piss on people and them tell them they're worthless or idiots. Is your understanding of Uni passed through some sort of weird kaleidoscope of idiocy? 4 year party? trying to imply we're lazy? stilllll trying to show that scholarships are some sort of saving grace when they are RARE BY NATURE and don't do anything in a larger context?

Yes, yes, I know your line by now. It is all the fault of the evil system and the millions who somehow get through without debt are just the lucky ones. The others are exploited innocents who could have done nothing more to help their situation.

HINT: You are ignoring half the problem.

jchap said:
Yes, yes, I know your line by now. It is all the fault of the evil system and the millions who somehow get through without debt are just the lucky ones.

it makes a lot more sense than simply stating those in debt are dumb shit idiots buying 32 packs and Xboxes with their loan money that should be almost completely unnecessary in the first place.

alstein

jchap said:
Yes, yes, I know your line by now. It is all the fault of the evil system and the millions who somehow get through without debt are just the lucky ones. The others are exploited innocents who could have done nothing more to help their situation.

HINT: You are ignoring half the problem.

I've gotten through without debt, and if it wasn't for the corruption of the system, I'd have had a lot easier time of things. So I'm mad at the system myself despite not being in that bad a shape.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Alpha-Bromega said:

1z5llad.jpg

As far as it being unaffordable, a month of paychecks when I was in college working part time at a hotel could have covered almost an entire semester at a community college. No help, no scholarships, no loans, no etc. and I could have paid for an associate's EASY at a job that basically anyone could have, especially if I went full time in the Summer, holidays, etc.

noah111

Still Alive
Kimosabae said:
I watched it yesterday. Peter is as lucid and prophetic with his message as ever.
Bah, YouTube is blocked/down where i'm at, still haven't watched it. Anyone know of there's an downloadable/audio version anywhere out there?

Foffy

Banned
Monroeski said:
As far as it being unaffordable, a month of paychecks when I was in college working part time at a hotel could have covered almost an entire semester at a community college. No help, no scholarships, no loans, no etc. and I could have paid for an associate's EASY at a job that basically anyone could have, especially if I went full time in the Summer, holidays, etc.

Don't people look down on associate degrees, though? As if they're only barely better than a high school diploma or a GED?

jchap

Foffy said:
Don't people look down on associate degrees, though? As if they're only barely better than a high school diploma or a GED?

But they, in many cases, completely transfer to a university where you would only need 2 years of classes for a bachelors.

Ripclawe

Banned
College in the modern world is a RIGHT

No.. College has never been a right nor should it be a right.

It reminds me of this nonsense.
I asked her why she was at OccupySF. She told me she’d done all the right things. Studied hard. Graduated college. (She was an art major.) And now she can’t get a job. It didn’t matter. It’s all messed up. She was lied to.

The problem is the under 30 generation have grown up with this entitled attitude that everything should be given to them on a plate because its their "right" What you are seeing on display once you get past the drivel slogans is the I am special generation getting a reality kick in the face that is not how the real world works and they are incapable of dealing with it.

A lot of tech and medical jobs can be gotten with an AA and you can then move on from there to get your 4 year degree most of the time letting the company pay your tuition.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Foffy said:
I hired a guy two weeks ago who had an associates degree and a boatload of raw ambition. People who look only at credentials on paper probably miss the right person for the job most of the time.

Ripclawe said:
The problem is the under 30 generation have grown up with this entitled attitude that everything should be given to them on a plate because its their "right" What you are seeing on display once you get past the drivel slogans is the I am special generation getting a reality kick in the face that is not how the real world works and they are incapable of dealing with it.
Such policies work in Europe just fine... ("entitlements" if you want to call them that)
...is Europe not part of the real world?

Most in the <30 crowd just want American social programs and policies to more reflect the modern societies of Europe. We're still living with a 1980s view of social programs, and it's frustrating that you can look to Europe and see such polices working great, but here in America we're being told they're doomed to fail and we are wrong for feeling entitled to a better life.

Ripclawe said:
Aha.

noah111

Still Alive
How is College not a right? Education is a right, pure and simple. Put aside all the bullshit and tell me the opportunity shouldn't be available for all?

Anyway, that's not even on the list of top five issues in the US right now. Solve other, more dire problems, and the issue of education will solve itself.

Ripclawe

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Such policies work in Europe just fine... ("entitlements" if you want to call them that)
...is Europe not part of the real world?

Most in the <30 crowd just want American social programs and policies to more reflect the modern societies of Europe. We're still living with a 1980s view of social programs, and it's frustrating that you can look to Europe and see such polices working great, but here in America we're being told they're doomed to fail and we are wrong for feeling entitled to a better life.

Then they should go live in Europe who BTW last I looked seems to be have some money issues in part of the welfare programs.

How is College not a right? Education is a right, pure and simple. Put aside all the bullshit and tell me the opportunity shouldn't be available for all?

Education is a right, going to college is a choice.

Ripclawe said:
Then they should go live in Europe who BTW last I looked seems to be have some money issues in part of the welfare programs.

go live in europe lol

Why aren't we entitled to the same things European's are? Are Americans a lesser culture or something?

bounchfx

Ripclawe said:

so are we trying to downplay the entire protest with this? because that's what I'm getting out of this statement. Some kids feel that way, I agree. On the other hand, what they're protesting is MUCH MUCH MORE THAN THIS and effects everyone in the USA, and more than likely the world.

I still don't see why demanding the same programs and treatment other modern nations give to their citizens is somehow asking for too much

maybe we really are lesser beings in America or something. Well, maybe we think we're lesser beings.

Ripclawe said:
This doesn't make any sense. If education is a right, then college, by extension, is a right too. You just don't have to exercise that right if you choose not to.

alstein said:
Unfortunately, the amount of money the 99% has is too little to matter to BOA. You need to go after the companies that BOA sponsors- that's the step that has to be taken.

Maybe go after the Carolina Panthers or something if you're local
If that were true then they wouldn't bother building new banks. There are several BoAs in my area. You can't tell me the money doesn't matter when the main purpose of those banks is to service the accounts of the people in the area.

Do I think my money makes a difference? No, but I know my money is no longer part of the problem.

ReBurn

Gold Member
balladofwindfishes said:
I still don't see why demanding the same programs and treatment other modern nations give to their citizens is somehow asking for too much

maybe we really are lesser beings in America or something. Well, maybe we think we're lesser beings.
I think a lot of people want to know what gives the people demanding these things a right to demand them from people who did not have the same programs and treatment in previous generations. I was talking to my neighbor about this and he said that he wanted to know why the people protesting think that they should be given things that his generation had to work for. He asked where the sense of entitlement comes from.

I think that Americans should have access to taxpayer funded college education because it is an investment in the future of the nation. I would expect in return that people who use the benefit take it seriously and strive to make the best of it, ultimately taking responsibility for growing the next generation. I wonder what our young people would do with such an opportunity.

Dax01 said:
This doesn't make any sense. If education is a right, then college, by extension, is a right too. You just don't have to exercise that right if you choose not to.
I see higher education like that as more of a privilege. I think some sort of community college should be free. But if you are qualified enough and lack the resources, you can pretty much get a full ride at least somewhere.

ReBurn said:
I think a lot of people want to know what gives the people demanding these things a right to demand them from people who did not have the same programs and treatment in previous generations. I was talking to my neighbor about this and he said that he wanted to know why the people protesting think that they should be given things that his generation had to work for. He asked where the sense of entitlement comes from.

I think that Americans should have access to taxpayer funded college education because it is an investment in the future of the nation. I would expect in return that people who use the benefit take it seriously and strive to make the best of it, ultimately taking responsibility for growing the next generation. I wonder what our young people would do with such an opportunity.

Terrible, terrible attitude. I don't want healthcare reform because I feel entitled to having healthcare, I want healthcare reform because to get it you need to go through a profit driven industry that has every reason not to provide you care. I don't want college loan reform because I feel that people are entitled to a college education, but I don't think you should have to sell your soul to get it.

I want reform because I look at the soaring costs of education and healthcare and I wonder how I am supposed to provide healthcare for my children (I don't have any yet), and a college education when it comes time for them. These are costs that are increasing year upon year, but we are supposed to ignore them and say that it's good enough as it is.

Your neighbor has the attitude "well I didn't have it, why should anyone else have it". It's like we shouldn't try to provide a better life for our children. Sometimes the status quo isn't good enough.

Quazar

Since we're on education, I currently receive the pell grant for my associates. Will I still be eligible to get pell for bachelors?

Dax01 said:
Well that makes masters and phd degrees rights too which I don't agree with. The right and responsibility is educating children. Once you are an adult, it's time for you to make choices. I do agree that there is a sense of entitlement in the generation just going to and finishing college. I've heard the term 'the don't yell at me generation' and I think it's fits to a degree. Sometime I wonder if it really is the internet; that they grew up with easy answers and high level of convenience and they don't function well outside of a very small comfort zone. I went back to school and attended with lots of people much younger than myself and sometimes I was amazed by how quick they would give-up or complain.

alstein

Anslon said:
If that were true then they wouldn't bother building new banks. There are several BoAs in my area. You can't tell me the money doesn't matter when the main purpose of those banks is to service the accounts of the people in the area.

Do I think my money makes a difference? No, but I know my money is no longer part of the problem.

I'm not saying we shouldn't take our money out, if only because being in a small bank or credit union means you'll get a better deal as a consumer. I took my money out of BOA years ago when I left the military. I'm just saying it won't change their behavior- only the force of law will be able to do that, and for that we need to take over, either one of the existing parties, or a new party.

Quazar

LetsGoKiting said:
You should. I've been getting pell grants for my bachelors.

Wow that's good to hear. I'm from GA and recently lost HOPE because apparently the changes Nathan Deal passed cut anyone who graduated 9+ years ago. Shitty part is I graduated in 2002 with a GED because I dropped out of high school.(When I was 16) Was a mistake, but I worked my ass off to go to college with my own money for a few semesters and maintained a 4.0 to be eligible for hope. So I eventually get the credit hours/GPA required for hope after 30 semesters and received it last summer. Woohooo!

Than the changes he made went through this semester killing any chances of mine despite my academic achievements to receive HOPE. It's good to hear I can use pell. I'm so voiceless as I would guess not many people in my age group succeed through college, and especially those who got a GED. I just wonder what if I went and got a GED today would I be eligible for hope after another 30 hours? Crazy.

ReBurn

Gold Member
silentspork said:
Terrible, terrible attitude. I don't want healthcare reform because I feel entitled to having healthcare, I want healthcare reform because to get it you need to go through a profit driven industry that has every reason not to provide you care. I don't want college loan reform because I feel that people are entitled to a college education, but I don't think you should have to sell your soul to get it.

I want reform because I look at the soaring costs of education and healthcare and I wonder how I am supposed to provide healthcare for my children (I don't have any yet), and a college education when it comes time for them. These are costs that are increasing year upon year, but we are supposed to ignore them and say that it's good enough as it is.

Your neighbor has the attitude "well I didn't have it, why should anyone else have it". It's like we shouldn't try to provide a better life for our children. Sometimes the status quo isn't good enough.
I hear what you are saying. I have a child going to college next fall and I don't want her to be saddled with debt to get an education. She's worked hard in school and has been awarded scholarships that will pay for much of the cost. But I don't know how college would be possible for her otherwise unless she racked up enormous debt. She's still looking at $15 to $20k of debt over 4 years unless my wife and I can help pay for it. I don't want her to struggle to get an education like I did, nor do I want any person to struggle to get an education.

Healthcare should be a given for anything other than elective or cosmetic procedures. With as much as the US currently spends per capita I don't know why healthcare isn't already universal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom