• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Kosmo said:
Problem is, those protesters should be protesting the politicians that allow Wall Street to get away with what it gets away with. They are the enablers. Had they let AIG fail, etc. things would have been real shitty for a time, but instead we're just doing a slow bleed.
That's a valid opinion and I think most people would agree with you, but the politicians are held accountable (at least in theory) by having to be re-elected every however many years.

Wall St. and the Fed are not held accountable by anyone.

Kosmo said:
Problem is, those protesters should be protesting the politicians that allow Wall Street to get away with what it gets away with. They are the enablers. Had they let AIG fail, etc. things would have been real shitty for a time, but instead we're just doing a slow bleed.

Isn't this a bit like saying we should let murderers walk away free because the people we should really be angry at are the cops who failed to prevent the crime? I mean, there is some merit in that, don't get me wrong, but it seems to miss the mark overall. People do not get a social pass because they successfully managed to use their immense resources (and the resources of others--their corporations) to commandeer our government and fraudulently siphon wealth through complex financial schemes. They are indeed the enemy. Politicians are the pawns. It is our duty to confront both and to change the rules for both.

Kosmo

Banned
dave is ok said:
That's a valid opinion and I think most people would agree with you, but the politicians are held accountable (at least in theory) by having to be re-elected every however many years.

Wall St. and the Fed are not held accountable by anyone.

They are held accountable by the politicians we elect - problem is too many of those politicians love their Wall St. perks and the cycle goes round. I don't know how people dont' call out the hypocrisy of politicians railing against Wall St. like Obama and Barney Frank and then they are out there trying to get Wall St. campaign dough, and lots of it.

Chichikov

Kosmo said:
And who do you think they're protesting?
I'm pretty sure no one there thinks they can guilt wall street into stopping their destructive behavior.

Now, if you're implying that we shouldn't scold Wall Street bankers for what they have been doing the past decade, than I have a bone to pick with you.

Puddles

Banned
Enron said:
You people sure do assign a lot of value to these "best" universities. The feeling in these last two pages is that if you are smart enough but cant afford a "good" school, then you are somehow fucked. Which is 100% NOT TRUE.

One of my buddies went to Princeton. He gets job offers I can't even dream of. I'm actually smarter than the guy. Higher SAT scores, higher high school GPA... I don't know, maybe his application essay made a better impression on some admissions director than mine did. Anyway, I performed better in high school, AND I have better work experience, but because his diploma is from Princeton and mine is from UCSB, he can get a job as a consultant making six figures within a year or two, while that option isn't open to me at all.

That's the kind of horseshit that makes people want to rack up six figure debt.

Kosmo said:
They are held accountable by the politicians we elect - problem is too many of those politicians love their Wall St. perks and the cycle goes round. I don't know how people dont' call out the hypocrisy of politicians railing against Wall St. like Obama and Barney Frank and then they are out there trying to get Wall St. campaign dough, and lots of it.

People have been calling Obama out. Quite a bit, in fact. I don't even think he's a hypocrite. I think he's a straight-up shill.

Puddles

Banned
Azih said:
What? I rely on the government for clean water that is available EVERYTIME I TURN ON THE TAP and for the best sewage services in the history of mankind. It's insane how efficient it its.

If anyone fails to appreciate how awesome this is, take a trip to any Asian country that isn't Japan, Singapore or South Korea.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Puddles said:
One of my buddies went to Princeton. He gets job offers I can't even dream of. I'm actually smarter than the guy. Higher SAT scores, higher high school GPA... I don't know, maybe his application essay made a better impression on some admissions director than mine did. Anyway, I performed better in high school, AND I have better work experience, but because his diploma is from Princeton and mine is from UCSB, he can get a job as a consultant making six figures within a year or two, while that option isn't open to me at all.

Legacy? Underrepresented minority? Better extracurriculars? Better interview? I've heard application essays don't count for much and when they do, they count against you or are used as tiebreakers. Also, yeah reputation and networks matter.

Kosmo

Banned
Puddles said:

Does this mean you are a failure and have no hope of getting a job? There will ALWAYS be someone who you think you are smarter than or more qualified than who is in a higher position and making more money. Don't get so caught up in what other people make.

Puddles said:

Lots of factors go into where you actually end up. And believe me, it's absolutely not the case that just because you're at Princeton you're automatically going to get an offer. You have to work for it too.

I'm at a target school as well, but that didn't prevent BCG, McKinsey, and Bain turning me down.

If you're as good as you say you are, Princeton might not have accepted you, but one of the top 10 would have.

Chichikov

Kosmo said:
Does this mean you are a failure and have no hope of getting a job? There will ALWAYS be someone who you think you are smarter than or more qualified than who is in a higher position and making more money. Don't get so caught up in what other people make.
On a personal level, that's true.
As a society, we should strive to maximize our collective talents and abilities by having the most qualified people in the most fitting positions.

Now, that's not to say that I think that the government should get into the business of job placement, I think such policies do more harm than good.

But don't you agree that we should strive to a more merit based society?
And do you think what we have right now is the best that we can do?
Because I don't.

Chichikov said:
On a personal level, that's true.
As a society, we should strive to maximize our collective talents and abilities by having the most qualified people in the most fitting positions.

Now, that's not to say that I think that the government should get into the business of job placement, I think such policies do more harm than good.

But don't you agree that we should strive to a more merit based society?
And do you think what we have right now is the best that we can do?
Because I don't.

Just because you THINK you're more qualified doesn't mean you actually are more qualified.

Jobs, particularly entry level jobs, are more about fit than anything else.

Just from observing on-campus, the people Morgan Stanley recruits are pretty different from the guys who got offers from J.P. Morgan. On the outside looking in, their resumes look pretty similar, but once you get to know them you really do get a feel for the culture of the firm.

Chichikov

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Just because you THINK you're more qualified doesn't mean you actually are more qualified.
of the firm.
My argument is not personal, it's societal.
Do you believe we live in a society that reward people based on their talents and merit?

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Just from observing on-campus, the people Morgan Stanley recruits are pretty different from the guys who got offers from J.P. Morgan. On the outside looking in, their resumes look pretty similar, but once you get to know them you really do get a feel for the culture of the firm.
This is sounds like a terrible way to recruit people to me.
But I'm not a banker, so I wouldn't begin to know what would make a good banker (though I would suspect that a company that hire based on hard measurable merit will wipe the floor with a company that do it based on nebulous criteria like "fit", but I'm an engineer, I'm wired to think that way).

But that's not the point I was trying to make, I'm not saying that different companies can't have different criteria for hiring, I'm saying that it benefits society if we can maximize our talent pool, and I believe that currently, because many people people are effectively blocked from these type of positions, we're not doing a great job at that.

Deku

Banned
Vancouver Mayor says Occupy Vancouver will have to move

Protesters at the Occupy encampment in downtown Vancouver say they have no plans to go anywhere until their demands are met, but it is not yet clear what those demands are, or how they can be met.

More than a week after the camp was set up on the lawn of the city's art gallery on West Georgia Street, the area has been transformed into a small village with dozens of weather-proofed tents, a donations-based kitchen, medic station, resource library and centre square.

Somewhere between 100 and 200 people are estimated to be living at the site and many say they're ready to stay as long as it takes to have their demands met.

But Mayor Gregor Robertson says city staff are now trying to negotiate a peaceful end to the protest.

Robertson says the protesters will eventually have to go, but he prefers not to have to physically remove them.

The mayor notes the group isn't breaking any city bylaws because the space they are occupying is actually provincial land.

"The city does lease that land for the art gallery, but ultimately on provincial land, the city's bylaws do not apply" he notes.

But the protesters say no one has officially asked them to leave or begun any negotiations, and some thought the mayor should come down and talk to them directly.

"He or someone he sends [needs to] actually comes down and speaks to the general assembly," said one unidentified protester during the camp's meeting on Monday night.

Group reaffirms right to free speech

Meanwhile the members of the protest spent several hours workshopping a position that reaffirmed their right to freedom of speech and assembly.

However, the leaderless group remained divided on what they should do next. Some wanted to negotiate with the city. Others, like activist Lauren Gill, did not:

"I don't think we should be negotiating. I think we should be making demands. I think we have a lot of people here," Gill told the assembly.

"I think that it's not a matter of negotiation because we're not on the same playing field. There's a lot more of us, than there are of them and it's a matter of negotiating and meeting in the middle. It's a matter of making demands and ensuring they're met."

But when asked what those demands are, Gill said that remains up to each individual to decide for themselves.

"The demands are different for everyone," she said.

Over the weekend many of the protesters marched to five major bank outlets in downtown Vancouver to protest deregulation in the banking industry.

The protest camp was set-up on Oct. 15 as part of an international movement, following the success of the Occupy Wall Street camp in downtown New York. The protests have generally denounced corporate greed and the influence of large corporations on government policy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/10/25/bc-occupy-vancouver-demands.html

Enron

Banned
Chichikov said:
My argument is not personal, it's societal.
Do you believe we live in a society that reward people based on their talents and merit?

But I'm not a banker, so I wouldn't begin to know what would make a good banker (though I would suspect that a company that hire based on hard measurable merit will wipe the floor with a company that do it based on nebulous criteria like "fit", but I'm an engineer, I'm wired to think that way).

But that's not the point I was trying to make, I'm not saying that different companies can't have different criteria for hiring, I'm saying that it benefits society if we can maximize our talent pool, and I believe that currently, because many people people are effectively blocked from these type of positions, we're not doing a great job at that.

"fit" is actually very important in an office. Someone who isn't geared to the culture of that particular firm will find it hard to fit in and be miserable, thus being less productive and won't be likely to give their best effort or even a good one and deliver maximum value for the client (i know that all sounded incredibly corpodouchey, but its true).

For instance, there's no way i'd be able to make it on Wall Street or in any of the big financial houses. I function much better in somewhat laid-back, less formal offices.

Puddles

Banned
My point wasn't that I "think" I'm more qualified than some dude who went to an Ivy League. I could be right, or I could be wrong. Whatever.

The point was that people who graduate from those schools are given opportunities that the vast majority of college graduates just don't have access to. That's why they'll always be flooded with applicants, no matter what the tuition is.

quaere

Chichikov said:
A lot of what these kind of firms actually mean by fit is that they are looking for people that will sustain the culture of putting work above everything else. You don't want the one guy that's going to leave at 6PM because soon you're going to have two people leaving at 6 and so on. You want the guys that run out of work at 6 and try to find more instead of going home.

Enron said:
"fit" is actually very important in an office. Someone who isn't geared to the culture of that particular firm will find it hard to fit in and be miserable, thus being less productive and won't be likely to give their best effort or even a good one and deliver maximum value for the client (i know that all sounded incredibly corpodouchey, but its true).

For instance, there's no way i'd be able to make it on Wall Street or in any of the big financial houses. I function much better in somewhat laid-back, less formal offices.

It's a mixed bag, it's not an easy statement to make.

Sometimes the culture is the problem and not the individual. There are all sorts of cases.

Regardless, I believe in maximizing the talent pool too.

Chichikov said:

If you're spending 100 hours a week with somebody, you damn well make sure that's a guy/girl everyone in the office would like to have hanging around.

Take it a step further, you might've written an awesome thesis and won an award for it, but are you going to handle yourself well when you step into a board room with a bunch of clients and everyone in that room is thinking, "who the fuck does he think he is?"

Merit and ability comes in different shapes and sizes.

Puddles said:
My point wasn't that I "think" I'm more qualified than some dude who went to an Ivy League. I could be right, or I could be wrong. Whatever.

The point was that people who graduate from those schools are given opportunities that the vast majority of college graduates just don't have access to. That's why they'll always be flooded with applicants, no matter what the tuition is.

How is that unfair? Princeton and Wharton's got the best alumni networks on Wall Street, if I went to Princeton, and somehow that advantage is negated for me, I'd be fucking pissed.

If I'm CompSci at Dartmouth, should I be pissed that Oracle doesn't recruit on campus?

Point is, in places like consulting and finance, what you learn in college does not matter at all. You could major in Medieval Renaissance studies and get an offer from McKinsey.

Enron

Banned
ssolitare said:
Sometimes the culture is the problem and not the individual. There are all sorts of cases.

problems with "fit" aren't the fault of the individual or the firm culture. There simply just isn't a match there.

Chichikov

Hasphat'sAnts said:
If you're spending 100 hours a week with somebody, you damn well make sure that's a guy/girl everyone in the office would like to have hanging around.

Take it a step further, you might've written an awesome thesis and won an award for it, but are you going to handle yourself well when you step into a board room with a bunch of clients and everyone in that room is thinking, "who the fuck does he think he is?"

Merit and ability comes in different shapes and sizes.
I did not meant to say that company cannot set their own criteria for hiring.
That's absolutely 100% not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying that overall talent pool available for companies is smaller than it can be because we effectively block a large parts of our population from even competing for these positions.

Enron said:

That's really off topic, but while fitting is corporate culture is extremely important, I still think that valuing it above core skills is a dangerous hiring policy.
It tend to breed groupthinking.

But in any case, even if you think that "fit" is the most important criteria, you'd still want to have the largest possible pool of people to choose from, wouldn't you?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Ok, I can understand the movement and thought process behind occupy Wall Street, but what on earth are the "occupy *insert CDN city here* protesting about?

Chichikov

Heshinsi said:
Ok, I can understand the movement and thought process behind occupy Wall Street, but what on earth are the "occupy *insert CDN city here* protesting about?
For the most part, the same thing as OWS.
Sure, there's a nice symbolism of doing it in downtown Manhattan, but these issues affect people all across the nation, even those who can't afford to go to NYC to protest.

maharg

idspispopd
Chichikov said:
For the most part, the same thing as OWS.
Sure, there's a nice symbolism of doing it in downtown Manhattan, but these issues affect people all across the nation, even those who can't afford to go to NYC to protest.

I think he was specifically asking about Canada, implying that everything is just peachy in Canada.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Puddles said:

Yeah, also... Princeton is not expensive. Only those that can afford to pay full tuition end up paying it:
Finaidchart.png

For fun, recent post on princetonfml.com:
Dad got fired. FML

Ironically, I’ll be able to afford school now that I’ll get more financial aid. MLIG?
Other Ivys are probably similar.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Yes I was referring to Canada. I took a glimpse at that article about the Vancouver protests, and one thing that jumped at me was that they were demanding more banking regulations. Our banks are some of the most regulated in the developed world, and is precisely because of that, that we rebounded from the recession better than any country in the G8. They've got it all backwards, it's not the banks they should be protesting, but the telecommunication companies like Bell, Telus, Rogers, etc who have us by the balls.

maharg said:
I think he was specifically asking about Canada, implying that everything is just peachy in Canada.
Okay, you seem to disagree with his implication.

Besides (as the poster above pointed out) the telecom companies attempting to run the Canadian market like a cartel and the CRTC being completely ineffective in stopping them, what needs to be reformed in Canada?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Perspicacity said:

Besides (as the poster above pointed out) the telecom companies attempting to run the Canadian market like a cartel and the CRTC being completely ineffective in stopping them, what needs to be reformed in Canada?

Private prisons incoming!

alstein

empty vessel said:
People have been calling Obama out. Quite a bit, in fact. I don't even think he's a hypocrite. I think he's a straight-up shill.

I think he tried to be too compromising, but he's realized that doens't work, so he's changing.
I think we'd see a different Obama in the 2nd term.

Perspicacity said:

The American companies are just waiting to do that here, they've tried locally at least once. Thankfully some protests stopped that, but they'll try again.

maharg

idspispopd
I think most of Canada's problems are in the democratic space. We have majority governments that are formed with less and less support (both because of turnout and eroding the vote% that's necessary to form a majority) by the canadian population, and whether Liberal or Conservative, this is a disturbing trend.

We currently have a government that probably would like to do some banking deregulation, because it's a government that believes in a variant of reaganomics. And that government now has virtual carte blanche to do whatever it likes (by controlling the two legislative houses). Protests like that may help keep it from happening.

Also, similar trends of debt growth and income inequity have been happening in Canada, and the middle class has stagnated here as well (though by my understanding the lower class has closed the gap with the upper class). And yeah, the whole broken imprisonment/surveillance/'safety' culture the CPC so keen on ramming through the legislature in an omnibus bill.

And last but not least, we have continually declining political engagement from our population with disillusionment running rampant and a culture that has evolved to consider politics taboo. Average people getting out there to have their voices heard is a positive development, whether they have really solid demands or not. People should feel connected to the political process and like they have a voice, it's important.

It's not surprising to me that Canadian youth are complaining about things American youth should be. Part of the problem is that Canadian politics are seen as boring and unimportant thanks to the deluge of American political information we're exposed to every day. But at least this gets a conversation started and shows that interest can be gotten.

maharg said:
I think most of Canada's problems are in the democratic space. We have majority governments that are formed with less and less support (both because of turnout and eroding the vote% that's necessary to form a majority) by the canadian population, and whether Liberal or Conservative, this is a disturbing trend.

We currently have a government that probably would like to do some banking deregulation, because it's a government that believes in a variant of reaganomics. And that government now has virtual carte blanche to do whatever it likes (by controlling the two legislative houses). Protests like that may help keep it from happening.

Also, similar trends of debt growth and income inequity have been happening in Canada, and the middle class has stagnated here as well (though by my understanding the lower class has closed the gap with the upper class). And yeah, the whole broken imprisonment/surveillance/'safety' culture the CPC so keen on ramming through the legislature in an omnibus bill.

And last but not least, we have continually declining political engagement from our population with disillusionment running rampant and a culture that has evolved to consider politics taboo. Average people getting out there to have their voices heard is a positive development, whether they have really solid demands or not. People should feel connected to the political process and like they have a voice, it's important.

It's not surprising to me that Canadian youth are complaining about things American youth should be. Part of the problem is that Canadian politics are seen as boring and unimportant thanks to the deluge of American political information we're exposed to every day. But at least this gets a conversation started and shows that interest can be gotten.

Well said. I agree that Canada is not the US but there appears to be an economically and politically empowered faction of Canadian society that would like to make it become like the US. And Canada's socioeconomic metrics (including income inequality) have been trending in the same direction as the US. Best to nip that in the bud before the balance of power completely tips.

Zona

Kosmo said:
What should be the requirements for someone to get those services? Simply citizenship? Should they have to provide a service for the government? Are you talking a wholly communist society where the government decides what will be produced, everyone will be given a job to do and all services/products will be shared equally?

Sorry about this, tiny nitpick here. A fully communist society wouldn’t have government deciding production because a communist society is by definition stateless. Communism is a stateless classless society with communal ownership of the means of production. What your describing is a Socialist system which Marx's described as an intermediary stage between Capitalism and Communism which he called as a Dictatorship of the Proletariat.

aronnov reborn said:
haven't seen anything on the news about this movement lately other then the 14 year old raped in Dallas? you guys still going strong?

That's because you frequent right-wing sources. And you mean alleged statutory rape. Which comes only from an anonymous polices source which is itself based only on a purported allegation of the girl who was a runaway whom the police arrested (and hence who may have been highly motivated to fabricate).

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2011/10/occupy_dallas_address_reports.PHP

Myansie

Kosmo said:

The problem rests with the power gained by the banks through the process of deregulation, represented symbolically by Wall St. AIG isn't where the problem started, it was the first obvious warning sign that something was wrong. Protesting to the government isn't nearly as symbolic, it's too broad. We have enough people complaining they don't understand what the protests are about.

A big reason AIG wasn't allowed to go under was because Goldman & Sachs were so heavily invested and at the same time held so much influence over the government. Lloyd Blankfein CEO of Goldman was the only Wall Street executive at the AIG bail-out meeting. In the week leading up to the bailout he spoke with the Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson 2 dozen times. More than anyone else. Henry Paulson's previous job was CEO of Goldman & Sachs.

Small government means big business. The power doesn't dissipate, it redistributes and it has pooled into the big banks, in particular Goldman & Sachs. This is before we even start to discuss the blatant fraud committed.

Enron

Banned
As I've said before, I live less than 2 miles or so from where the Occupy Atlanta protest is going on.

For the last 30 minutes, ive heard constant sirens and helicopters circling around. I think the protesters are getting cleared out.

Edit: Yep

OWSAtlanta Occupy Atlanta
Helicopter circling above. Media trucks moved from side of park. Signs are grim. Livestream will be up momentarily

http://www.livestream.com/occupyatlanta

Joe

i watched Inside Job last night and after watching it i don't get how anyone would be opposed to these protests. is the film valid or is it biased and distorted?

are any other films suggested?

According to Reddit, tear gas is being used at Occupy Oakland to beat back the protesters who are trying to reclaim their previous position

Enron

Banned
cooljeanius said:
According to Reddit, tear gas is being used at Occupy Oakland to beat back the protesters who are trying to reclaim their previous position

Oakland. You knew that one was gonna go south.

Joe said:
i watched Inside Job last night and after watching it i don't get how anyone would be opposed to these protests. is the film valid or is it biased and distorted?

are any other films suggested?

Inside Job is legit. You could also check out The Smartest Guys in the Room and The Corporation. Neither are specifically about the 2008 financial crisis, however.

cooljeanius said:

Pretty despicable. According to one report, the citizens were told that if they did not disperse, they would be arrested for "unlawful assembly." Nevermind this: "Congress shall make no law ... abridging ... the right of the people peaceably to assemble." But apparently instead of unconstitutionally arresting them, the police decided to violently attack them instead.

Enron

Banned
Atlanta PD operation to clear Woodruff Park looks successful. Watching on TV, was very orderly save for one person trying to tear down a barricade. Occupy Atlanta just stood there behind the fence chanting while the 30 or so people that remained to get arrested got cuffed and carried out. No riot, no tear gas, no nothing.

JambiBum

Enron said:
Atlanta PD operation to clear Woodruff Park looks successful. Watching on TV, was very orderly save for one person trying to tear down a barricade. Occupy Atlanta just stood there behind the fence chanting while the 30 or so people that remained to get arrested got cuffed and carried out. No riot, no tear gas, no nothing.
If they are going to be removed from whatever area they are occupying this is how it should be done. Not the way it is currently going down in Oakland

What reason are they giving for clearing all these protests out all of a sudden? I haven't been keeping up too much, but it seems like this has happened to three or four of them pretty recently.

JambiBum

rohlfinator said:
What reason are they giving for clearing all these protests out all of a sudden? I haven't been keeping up too much, but it seems like this has happened to three or four of them pretty recently.
The reason they are giving in Oakland is suspicion of misdemeanor illegal lodging.

The Atlanta mayor has said multiple times that they were going to do something on the 7th. Apparently he decided to go back on his word. Someone else can correct me here though. I can't remember exactly what he was going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom