• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
Bluth said:
I don't know if that's a good comparison to make because wouldn't 15 year olds still be in the public school system the US has?

Did you say public system? I can't even imagine how shitty public education would be if it were free. It wouldn't even be worth your time. ;)

rdrr gnr

demon said:
I'm sold.
Let me know what you think, as well as anybody else who watches it.

I probably couldn't get into an intricate policy debate and come out the winner when it comes to economics, but I do believe that political action (and the preceding discourse) should be a mechanism of achieving general social good and elevating human well-being.

Puddles

Banned
Price controls work for Japan's healthcare system, and they could definitely work for our higher education.

Want to charge $10k a semester for a non-science (i.e. not using labs or expensive equipment) degree? Justify your costs before an auditing committee.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
MuseManMike said:
Let me know what you think, as well as anybody else who watches it.
Oh god, I replied to the wrong video in the wrong thread! lol That was meant for the new Herman Cain ad. Damn multi-tabbing.

For what it's worth I am in the middle of watching yours though...

rdrr gnr

demon said:
Oh god, I replied to the wrong video in the wrong thread! lol

For what it's worth I am in the middle of watching yours though...
Well now it doesn't count!
HFx2F.jpg

alstein

CrocMother said:
People comparing US higher education system to those in Europe forget we have over 300 million people in our country.

And there's even more people in Europe.

We also have the wealth to make a Norway-style state work in the US, if we cut our military down to size.

Clevinger

CrocMother said:
People comparing US higher education system to those in Europe forget we have over 300 million people in our country.

What would that matter if you had the same ratio of people paying the same amount into the education system?

MuseManMike said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7LzE3u7Bw&feature=channel_video_title

A good watch for anybody and everybody in this thread. DAT FACTS.
Just watched that from a link in another thread (or earlier in this thread?) -- pretty thought-provoking stuff. Kinda crazy how it doesn't matter whether they have high max incomes/high taxation/welfare state or lower max incomes/low taxes/less welfare.

I'm interested in reading some of the other reports he mentioned, mainly to see what their theories are for the causal links in all of this.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
CrocMother said:
I'm sick of this argument. And?

Kosmo

Banned
demon said:
I'm sick of this argument. And?

Unless you are attending one of the top say 25 universities in America, where you actually go to school matters far less than your drive and willingness to network.

Pre

Kosmo said:
Unless you are attending one of the top say 25 universities in America, where you actually go to school matters far less than your drive and willingness to network.

Ding, ding, ding! Correct answer.

balladofwindfishes said:
We're still living with a 1980s view of social programs, and it's frustrating that you can look to Europe and see such polices working great, but here in America we're being told they're doomed to fail and we are wrong for feeling entitled to a better life.

Yep, because investing in the public sector and running massive deficits in part to fund huge social programs is working out so swell for nations like Greece.

Oh, and you aren't entitled to a better life that you don't earn for yourself. Stop expecting the government to prop everyone else up.

Fusebox

Banned
Pre said:
Oh, and you aren't entitled to a better life that you don't earn for yourself. Stop expecting the government to prop everyone else up.

It's amazing to me that the American Govt has been able to create and foster a culture where middle and lower class American consistently vote against their own best interests.

Pollux

Lime said:
Sure, I pay about 40 % of my wages as taxes (including the government support), but I'm in the lowest bracket because of my level of income (being a student, only working part-time). The highest bracket, which includes people earning a lot of money, is from 60 to 75 percent (my father is one of those and I will hopefully as well).

Sidenote regarding this OWS: The entire motivation for why it is prudent to achieve an equalized social footing stems from the concept called social heritage, which is commonly used in Scandinavia. But this concept seems completely non-existing to the people I've talked to who argue that
"Every man is the architect of his own fortune". This is especially apparent in the discourse in American media about this whole thing. Maybe it's because the notion of social heritage clashes with the American dream.
Your dad pays 75% in taxes? Fuck that shit.

Pre

Fusebox said:
It's amazing to me that the American Govt has been able to create and foster a culture where middle and lower class American consistently vote against their own best interests.

It's amazing to me that we've fostered an entire culture of depending on the government to wipe our asses for us. It's not in my best interest to saddle my future children and grandchildren with unimaginable levels of debt so I can sit around on the government dole.

Puddles

Banned
Pre said:
It's amazing to me that we've fostered an entire culture of depending on the government to wipe our asses for us. It's not in my best interest to saddle my future children and grandchildren with unimaginable levels of debt so I can sit around on the government dole.

Strawman.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
C'mon Pre, you guys are already behind the rest of the world when it comes to social safety . You may not want the Govt to wipe your arse, but how about if Govt payed your kids medical bills when times were tough, wouldn't that interest you? Or would you really rather they focused on scaling back the EPA?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pre said:
Yep, because investing in the public sector and running massive deficits in part to fund huge social programs is working out so swell for nations like Greece.

must be an easy argument to make. when talking about europe, just mention greece, europe doesn't work! At least bring your argument about Germany France the Netherlands or UK. You know, compare it to a working economy.

I like the way you think that a government propping you up is a 'better life'. Being on unemployment is a real 'oh man I've fucked this up' and need to work BADLY to have any decent lifestyle. The good thing about it is that you don't have to live in a cardboard box and suck dick for cash while you try and get back to work.

honestly your post stinks of privilege. I would love to hear your tune should you accidentally screw up your health insurance arrangement, then have your legs broken in a freak accident in america.

Working euro countries don't provide anyone a 'better life' than they earned for themselves, they ensure that the bottom (which must always exist, otherwise there is not a top) of society doesn't go so low as to drag the rest of us down.

Pre said:

If I have to pay somebody to wipe my ass, I would prefer to do it in the most efficient way possible and that makes the most sense. Social programs are just a different way to arrange for the provision and payment of certain goods and services. It has nothing to do with debt and that you think that it does demonstrates remarkable ignorance. Why should anybody give you the time if day if you can't comprehend this? Your opinion borne of abject ignorance are utterly worthless.

empty vessel said:
If I have to pay somebody to wipe my ass, I would prefer to do it in the most efficient way possible and that makes the most sense. Social programs are just a different way to arrange for the provision and payment of certain goods and services. It has nothing to do with debt and that you think that it does demonstrates remarkable ignorance. Why should anybody give you the time if day if you can't comprehend this? Your opinion borne of abject ignorance are utterly worthless.

> things done in the most efficient way possible

> things done by the government

choose one

oh this is great. America has unimaginable, comical, fantastical levels of debt trying to fund its laughably inefficient systems and propping up her banking cartels who knowingly spit on her own people.

But if you are going to single Greece out, sure, welp then i guess Europe failed, social safety nets and investments are nonexistent and equivalent SOMEHOW to the government wiping our asses, wow! good one! Congratulations, you are a worthless idealogue with no understanding of, let's say, Denmarks social-economic structure.

Never mind in no way does Greece's economic crisis have to do with the cost of their education system, but of greedy banking and investment houses bedded with government syphoning funds their way? sound familiar?

Pre said:

At the moment it is in the 1% best interest to saddle the 99% and their future children and grandchildren with unimaginable levels of debt. People on GAF are paying $250,000 dollars to go to university, how is that not unimaginable debt?

travisbickle said:
People on GAF are paying $250,000 dollars to go to university, how is that not unimaginable debt?

Because not every citizen is on the line for that debt. The person who took out the loan is.

The argument comes down to a different philosophy. Some people just don´t think its the government´s responsiblity to make sure your life is the best.

el retorno de los sapos said:
Because not every citizen is on the line for that debt. The person who took out the loan is.

The argument comes down to a different philosophy. Some people just don´t think its the government´s responsiblity to make sure your life is the best.

"The best"?

affordable healthcare
affordable education
affordable housing

Basic human necessities, everybody needs them why shouldn't everyone have accessibility to them without going into massive debt/bankruptcy. It's not about providing the "best life for the individual" it's about a "better life for society".

Myansie

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:

choose one

I used to think that way until I realised the banks had consolidated the power foregone by the government. It's insidious because now democracy has been compromised. It's reached a point where the banks are able to protect themselves from the market and judicial forces thanks to their influence over the government. That isn't efficient. They've broken the financial system and as a result created an economy that moves up and down in massive booms and busts. Anything but the efficient small government Utopia predicted by the right wing.

these are basic necessities, not handouts and ass wipings.

the correlation between healthcare and education as 'government wiping your ass' shows such a shitty, manufactured socialization, a bankrupt mindset that makes sure that nobody but those profitting off of our suffering and want are happy.

it's the very definition of false consciousness

travisbickle said:
"The best"?

affordable healthcare
affordable education
affordable housing

Basic human necessities, everybody needs them why shouldn't everyone have accessibility to them without going into massive debt/bankruptcy. It's not about providing the "best life for the individual" it's about a "better life for society".
what do you thinking the government owes people in thoses things. We have food stamps, Medicare, mantitory ER care, public housing, free k-12 education. You want more. Our basic rights are looked after in those regards (health needs some more work, though i think the problem is cost I don't think were really THAT much worse of health care wise as in the fact that people live and can be health, its making some bankrupt but people aren't dying).

What makes people turn off of you guys IMO is when you start talking university education and things that social democracies as a natural rights that should he in the constitution. Many people feel its not and that the government's OBLIGATIONS don't extend that far. Your talking about things that make life better but aren't necessary. Using "the best" didn't quite match what I'm trying to say but a better way would be its not the government's job to make your life free from any kind of hardship.

also questions arise with these rights. Do you think the government owes people a house when you say housing or just a bunk in a homeless shetler type place? Does ever one deserve Harvard or a crappy community college? How good of healthcare?etc.

Ill end be saying I'm not saying that some these things should not be done but to say their things we HAVE to do rubs people the wrong way and it does breed dependence on the government.

el retorno de los sapos said:
what do you thinking the government owes people in thoses things. We have food stamps, Medicare, mantitory ER care, public housing, free k-12 education. You want more. Our basic rights are looked after in those regards (health needs some more work, though i think the problem is cost I don't think were really THAT much worse of health care wise as in the fact that people live and can be health, its making some bankrupt but people aren't dying).

What makes people turn off of you guys IMO is when you start talking university education and things that social democracies as a natural rights that should he in the constitution. Many people feel its not and that the government's OBLIGATIONS don't extend that far. Your talking about things that make life better but aren't necessary. Using "the best" didn't quite match what I'm trying to say but a better way would be its not the government's job to make your life free from any kind of hardship.

also questions arise with these rights. Do you think the government owes people a house when you say housing or just a bunk in a homeless shetler type place? Does ever one deserve Harvard or a crappy community college? How good of healthcare?etc.

Ill end be saying I'm not saying that some these things should not be done but to say their things we HAVE to do rubs people the wrong way and it does breed dependence on the government.

You do understand, but I don't think you, that nobody said 'giving' these things out, right? AFFORDABLE is the key word here. In Germany at least, none of those things are 'given away', they are structured to be affordable. So that if you work, you can afford basic things, like yakno, healthcare.

In America they are comically expensive because of large structural greed embedded into financial and corporate institutions. Not much else than that. That's the aim of Occupy, to rid our society of these parasites.

And to say anything but our healthcare is a laughing stock is disrespectful as fuck to the millions who literally choose between being insured, and eating.

Enron

Banned
travisbickle said:
At the moment it is in the 1% best interest to saddle the 99% and their future children and grandchildren with unimaginable levels of debt. People on GAF are paying $250,000 dollars to go to university, how is that not unimaginable debt?

Paying 250,000 dollars to go to a prestigious private university when you can't afford a 250,000 prestigious private university education is also unimaginable stupidity.

Make better choices - avoid more debt. Pretty simple.

Puddles

Banned
Enron said:
Paying 250,000 dollars to go to a prestigious private university when you can't afford a 250,000 prestigious private university education is also unimaginable stupidity.

The question isn't whether or not people need to have personal responsibility and make good choices for themselves. They do.

The question is whether we could structure our society in such a way that no degree would ever put a person in unmanageable debt, and we wouldn't spend nearly twice what most developed countries spend per capita on their healthcare systems.

Unless you think there's something uniquely wrong with us that makes us incapable of dealing with these issues efficiently, the answer to that second question should be yes.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
travisbickle said:
Saying that the university system is prohibitively expensive because some people pay $250k for it is like saying the automobile industry is prohibitively expensive because a Ferrari Enzo goes for >$500k.

Enron said:

99% of the population of America couldn't afford that education without taking out a loan (going into debt) what are you saying? Prestigious university education is for the rich elite?

Enron

Banned
Monroeski said:
Saying that the university system is prohibitively expensive because some people pay $250k for it is like saying the automobile industry is prohibitively expensive because a Ferrari Enzo goes for >$500k.

This Rolex is $7500 dollars. Watches are prohibitively expensive.

Enron

Banned
travisbickle said:
99% of the population of America couldn't afford that education without taking out a loan (going into debt) what are you saying? Prestigious university education is for the rich elite?

No, im saying your example sucks. You picked a $250k education as representative of the ridiculous costs of education. Anyone struggling because they had a 250k bill for college should have probably NOT purchased an education they couldn't afford.

Prestigious university education for the rich elite? No, these institutions offer assistance in the form of grants and scholarships for exceptional students who can't afford it. And there is nothing wrong with a more affordable university education.

You can get a university education fairly easily without going into massive debt at the tune of a quarter million dollars.

"Bu bu but I want to go to Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarvard!"

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:

choose one

Are you asking if I'm a brainwashed idiot who believes that government is invariably the least efficient means to accomplish some end?

MuseManMike said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7LzE3u7Bw&feature=channel_video_title

A good watch for anybody and everybody in this thread. DAT FACTS.

Quoting for new page. It's definitely worth a watch for anybody looking for insight on how important equity in income distribution is to their individual and their society's well-being.

Enron said:
This Rolex is $7500 dollars. Watches are prohibitively expensive.

did you put 5 seconds of thought into this analogy?

because in this analogy, Timewrist costs $3,000

you're putting up horrible ill thought false equivalencies here, Harvard? i'm talking about my damn State University. We all are. Going to some Ivy League school is NOT AT ALL what we are talking about, you are bringing this up in some shitty attempt to portray those wanting affordable education as those wanting to go to Harvard? and drive Lambos? anything else you'd like to disingenously associate?

i'm using my critical thinking skills really hard! my forehead is even wrinkling up, and i still can't see how you are trying to use mental gymnastics to make these awful and erroneus connections.

Seriously, NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT PRESTIGIOUS BULLSHIT, we're talking about our State Universities. They are prohibitively expensive, this is a fact deducted simply by putting the equivalent of 1 and 2 together to get 3.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
In Enron's world it is not possible to overcharge for anything. If you overcharge for healthcare or education or energy the Free Market Gods perched high upon Mount Reagan smite you down.

financial aid is a necessary good. My parents were immigrants not making that much at first, so I had to work hard all my life ....earning straight As and scoring high on my SATs...working a part time job to support myself, taking extra AP classes and staying overtime at school. And I ended getting accepted to a lot of good schools, and I earned it. And I am glad that I received some federal aid to help me attend the school I wanted and deserved. Now I graduated and have a great-paying job, and doing better than what my parents ever dreamed.

Good schools shouldn't just be exclusive to the currently affluent. Otherwise, the class inequality that exists in this country will just continue to widen if people's potential is neutered.

Enron

Banned
Alpha-Bromega said:
you're putting up horrible ill thought false equivalencies here, Harvard? dude i'm talking about my damn State University. We all are. Going to some Ivy League school is NOT AT ALL what we are talking about, you are bringing this up in some shitty attempt to portray those wanting affordable education as those wanting to go to Harvard? and drive Lambos? anything else you'd like to disingenously associate?

Im talking about the guy that said "people on GAF are paying $250k for an education! How is that fair???"

If you had bothered to read the last few posts, you'd have known that's what that was about.

A 250k dollar education (again, that the other poster brought up) is most certainly an Ivy League-level education, and would be akin to someone driving a Lambo when they couldn't afford one. You don't need a Lambo to get around in, just like you don't need a 250k education to get a good job.

"This BMW M5 put me 100k dollars into debt!!! How is that fair!!!!"

Alpha-Bromega said:
Seriously, NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT PRESTIGIOUS BULLSHIT, we're talking about our State Universities.

Since you seem to have missed it

travisbickle said:

Are you saying that a STATE UNIVERSITY is costing you upwards of 60k dollars a year? Because if so, you are full of fucking bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom