• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bad feeling that this entire OWS will end in chaos. I fear we have not even scratched the surface on what will happen in the coming weeks. Its scary that this Occupy group has branched off into other states. When they start disrupting the workers commute there will be big issues. I have always had some strange thought in the past year or so that there would be some crazy revolution in the US that separates the rich from the poor. Kinda like the French Revolution but not nearly as barbaric or savage.

Angry Fork

Host Samurai said:
I have a bad feeling that this entire OWS will end in chaos. I fear we have not even scratched the surface on what will happen in the coming weeks. Its scary that this Occupy group has branched off into other states. When they start disrupting the workers commute there will be big issues. I have always had some strange thought in the past year or so that there would be some crazy revolution in the US that separates the rich from the poor. Kinda like the French Revolution but not nearly as barbaric or savage.
That's the point, then more people will be asking what's going on, why are they here, how do we stop this etc. And more will become educated on the reasons rather than simply wanting the police to exterminate them all. The rich and poor are already heavily separated and growing at an exponential rate, a revolution is needed to make things fair.

Now this is odd
1:07 PMAnjali MullanySeveral of our reporters have provided details on a situation involving a Budget Truck and the NYPD a short while ago.

Rocco Parascandola reports that a cop jumped on the driver's side step of a Budget Truck on Broadway off Pine.

As other cops ran behind the truck, the driver was forced to pull over.

The driver said he was Joshua Fellows of Youngstown, Ohio and that he was "transporting supplies."

When asked if he was part of the protests, Fellows responded, "I plead the Fifth."

A high-ranking source at the scene said there appeared to be locks, chains, and locking devices in the back of the Budget u-haul, which had Oklahoma plates.

Protesters and the National Lawyers Guild claimed to John Doyle that the truck was filled with tents.

At least one arrest was made at the scene. Jennifer Cunningham reports she witnessed a protester get maced and arrested after confronting a police officer who opened the truck.
Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/S..._raid_on_Occupy_Wall_Street_NYC#ixzz1dzHP9oHq

Yeah, tents. lol

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
That's the point, then more people will be asking what's going on, why are they here, how do we stop this etc. And more will become educated on the reasons rather than simply wanting the police to exterminate them all. The rich and poor are already heavily separated and growing at an exponential rate, a revolution is needed to make things fair.

The problem is that you'll have a LOT of people who say, instead, "Fuck off, get out of my way." and the first impression they'll give off is that they're making your day worse.

Alucrid

Banned
You clearly missed my point. Telling people yo deal with it is stupid when all you're doing by holding up traffic is alienating the rest of the 99%.

.GqueB.

Banned
reilo said:
The Occupy Portland people just took over Steel Bridge, which caused a bunch of buses to shut down and traffic to come to a crawl in a high traffic area.

They have successfully prevented the 99% from getting into work on time.

I work near the Steel Bridge and I have several co-workers that are being prevented from getting into work right now. Several bus routes also take that bridge to get into downtown Portland and those have been shut off at the moment. Good job, idiots.
Attack the 1% by inconveniencing the 99%. I get it. Because if the 99% cant get to work then... the 1% cant make money and then... when the 1% loses all their monies, the 99% can *HEAD EXPLODES*

.GqueB. said:
Attack the 1% by inconveniencing the 99%. I get it. Because if the 99% cant get to work then... the 1% cant make money and then... when the 1% loses all their monies, the 99% can *HEAD EXPLODES*
The goal could be to simply provoke mass violence and civil disturbance.

Amazingly, this protest is minor/not inconvenient, and so inconvenient that it will disrupt the 99% within the last 25 posts. :jnc

I absolutely love this protest - nobody can agree with what it "is", but it continues to exist and grow.

Angry Fork said:

I'm begining to disagree with this. I though the movement was fine. I didn't think the movement should stop camping. I didn't think a leader was needed. I didn't think a simplified and clear set of goals was needed. I don't think that anymore.

That isn't to say the movement hasn't been a success on some level. I just want the movement to take it to another level and don't see that happening without more leadership/organization.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
The goal could be to simply provoke mass violence and civil disturbance.

Ooo shut the fuck up. The movement is criticized for lacking direction. You yourself has critcized them for it. Other than a few retards, I see nothing that would even come remotely close to suggesting what you just posted.

The NYCGA's (New York City General Assembly, which helped plan the Occupy Wall Street movement this summer) Technology Operations group has created an interactive map for updates on OWS actions. From their Facebook post:

"#OccupyMap is an incident and event-reporting system based on the open source Ushahidi disaster relief and response support application... We're seeding it with events and occupations, but feel free to contribute."

One of the last things added to the map was a march on City Hall, "to demand Bloomberg's resignation."
http://maps.occupy.net/main

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/S..._raid_on_Occupy_Wall_Street_NYC#ixzz1dzKotPg2

Man the NYPD is going to love this thing, and man could someone cause a lot of hilarity with this...and no I'm not going to goof around with it.

Hex

Banned
Sunflower said:
The problem is that you'll have a LOT of people who say, instead, "Fuck off, get out of my way." and the first impression they'll give off is that they're making your day worse.

It does not help that for every two "protesters" who are out there with good intentions and are educated you have five stoned out idiots or just straight out idiots who are out there because they have nothing better to do or it is something to piss off their parents or something to facebook to their friends about or just because it looks like fun or something to be a part of.
That is why this will continue to be a clusterfuck.

sangreal

captmcblack said:
Amazingly, this protest is minor/not inconvenient, and so inconvenient that it will disrupt the 99% within the last 25 posts. :jnc

I absolutely love this protest - nobody can agree with what it "is", but it continues to exist and grow.

Not really the contradiction you're trying to paint. There are several actions being undertaken by the protesters. The occupations are generally not inconvenient except to those who live/work nearby. The current 'disruption' activities are inconvenient to many more.

A situation like this is eventually going to lead to violence by one party. Lord knows if one of them pushed my wife (who is 8 months pregnant) I would be very upset.

111117051001-occupy-day-of-action-buisnessman-story-top.jpg

A businessman tries to pass Occupy Wall Street protesters blocking access to the New York Stock Exchange area Thursday.

sangreal said:
Not really the contradiction you're trying to paint. There are several actions being undertaken by the protesters. The occupations are generally not inconvenient except to those who live/work nearby. The current 'disruption' activities are inconvenient to many more.

All of those actions are in reality not all that inconvenient, and additionally aren't being caused by the protesters but instead by the city/NYPD's reaction to them.

Why do you need to shut down the subway stations for above-ground protests? Why do you need to shut down stations that aren't even Wall St station/s? Why do you need to prevent a peaceful protest from marching to/through a public space? Why do you need 1,000 cops to do it?

If it's taking you longer to get to work, why not leave earlier? Why not find another route to get to work? If your favorite food truck isn't located where it usually would be, why not get something else for lunch? Again, it's not really all that inconvenient.

This movement can't be both inconvenient and immaterial. That's not going to be the angle by which it can be attacked, just like public hygiene wasn't really it. People are going to have to eventually face the issues it is addressing - and eventually, they're going to have to do research to learn what those issues are (if they don't already know).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
captmcblack said:
If it's taking you longer to get to work, why not leave earlier? Why not find another route to get to work? If your favorite food truck isn't located where it usually would be, why not get something else for lunch? Again, it's not really all that inconvenient.

People like routine and only can stand it being broken if they themselves do it. If someone forces them to break their routine, it's hated.

Alucrid

Banned
captmcblack said:
All of those actions are in reality not all that inconvenient, and additionally aren't being caused by the protesters but instead by the city/NYPD's reaction to them.

Why do you need to shut down the subway stations for above-ground protests? Why do you need to shut down stations that aren't even Wall St station/s? Why do you need to prevent a peaceful protest from marching to/through a public space? Why do you need 1,000 cops to do it?

This movement can't be both inconvenient and immaterial. That's not going to be the angle by which it can be attacked, just like public hygiene wasn't really it. People are going to have to eventually face the issues it is addressing - and eventually, they're going to have to do research to learn what those issues are (if they don't already know).
Why shut down a bridge?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
richiek said:
You mean like when Bloomberg was an asshole when he shut down a bridge for some superhero movie?

Both assholes.

.GqueB.

Banned
captmcblack said:

Not sure if you live in NY but sometimes it isnt that easy. The lunch thing yea but "find another route to work"? Finding another route to work usually means walking an entire city block or two. People simply dont like this especially if it isnt their fault that they have to walk that city block.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things it isnt THAT big of a deal but Im a generally calm person that just rolls with the punches. But there are people out there that will HAAATTTTEEEE this I assure you. And with dwindling support in the polls, what sense does it make to take actions that turn people even more against you?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Sunflower said:
Both assholes.

Protesters walking on the pedestrian ramp of a bridge has less of an effect on traffic than shutting down actual car lanes for shooting some silly action film.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
richiek said:
Protesters walking on the pedestrian ramp of a bridge has less of an effect on traffic than shutting down actual car lanes for shooting some action film.

It's not mutually exclusive. They can both be assholes. Seriously.

Fuck, not good.

@Breaking911
Breaking911
UPDATE: Protesters running, jumping barricades amid Zuccotti Park mayhem at this moment #BREAKING #OWS #n17
1 minute ago via Twitter for iPhone
Retweeted by rosegoggles and 3 others

#BREAKING #NYPD OFFICER STABBED Liberty & Broadway; stabbed to the hand. #EMS forthwith. Extent of inj unwn. #OWS #N17 #OccupyWallStreet
4 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Fuck, not good.

Jeezus. This is hopefully incorrect information, as there could be a huge backlash.

EDIT: Sheeit.

minus_273

Banned
reilo said:
The Occupy Portland people just took over Steel Bridge, which caused a bunch of buses to shut down and traffic to come to a crawl in a high traffic area.

They have successfully prevented the 99% from getting into work on time.

I work near the Steel Bridge and I have several co-workers that are being prevented from getting into work right now. Several bus routes also take that bridge to get into downtown Portland and those have been shut off at the moment. Good job, idiots.

you have to understand that even though they are being hurt they are being helped. these people will benefit from the elimination of the capitalist state. you are welcome.

Chris R

Why does it seem the worst elements of this movement are getting the most press coverage? I honestly think OWS became too big for it's own good. Not saying I disagree with several of the points the protestors are making, but if people who say they are affiliated with OWS are attacking police officers... Man that wouldn't be good at all.

Shit's getting real.

1:53 PMMatthew Lysiak
Zuccotti is in full blown lock down right now. No one is allowed in or out. Two ambulances have pulled up.

1:58 PMMatthew Lysiak
Now NYPD have extended the lock down outside of Zuccotti to the sidewalk. No one is allowed on the sidewalk. Hundreds of officers now in riot gear.
1:56 PMchristinaboyleCops leaving park en mass to calls of "leave our park". Very hostile crowd #ows #n17
1:56 PMchristinaboyleCops stormed into the middle of the park and occupied the middle. Protesters on the outside surrounding them. "Shame shame" being chanted
1:56 PMchristinaboyleCops are trying to clear Zuccotti Park. Very tense. Saw one man in the middle badly bleeding from the head #ows #n17
1:55 PMMatthew LysiakI could hear over a cop radio at Zuccotti - "Looking for 25-year old" "in regard to assault of an officer at Zuccotti."

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/S..._raid_on_Occupy_Wall_Street_NYC#ixzz1dzU6wofa

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
rhfb said:
Why does it seem the worst elements of this movement are getting the most press coverage? I honestly think OWS became too big for it's own good. Not saying I disagree with several of the points the protestors are making, but if people who say they are affiliated with OWS are attacking police officers... Man that wouldn't be good at all.

People want to look. It's a bad society thing - people don't want to see a drum circle, they want to see mayhem and shenanigans.

Zabka

They really need a solid leader. The leaderless, everyone's equal love-in hooha is just going to lead to radicalized elements of the movement taking over their message, whatever that currently is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
Police want to defend the 1% then moan when they get what's coming. I have no sympathy if anything happens to them.

So, being stabbed is 'what's coming'? I don't like that kind of thinking at all. :( Why do you want violence?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Sunflower said:
So, being stabbed is 'what's coming'? I don't like that kind of thinking at all. :( Why do you want violence?

It's the protesters, not the cops, that are taking the brunt of the violence right now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
richiek said:
It's the protesters, not the cops, that are taking the brunt of the violence right now.

Again...why is it mutually exclusive? I don't want anyone hurt, and I don't want people put in positions where they can be hurt. This isn't some eye for an eye shit.

minus_273

Banned
Sunflower said:
Jeezus. This is hopefully incorrect information, as there could be a huge backlash.

EDIT: Sheeit.

the police officer is part of the 99% they are helping him in the long run. he should have taken off his uniform and joined the protesters.

Barrett2

rhfb said:

I think thats just the way TV media operates. Same with the Tea Party protests. A camera crew truck pulls up, first thing they'll point they're camera at is the Tea Party fat guy with the "Obama = Hitler Communist" sign, just like they'll focus on the obnoxious hippies talking nonsense when they show up at Zucotti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom