• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
richiek said:
It's the protesters, not the cops, that are taking the brunt of the violence right now.
Any of them been stabbed yet?

lawblob said:
I think thats just the way TV media operates. Same with the Tea Party protests. A camera crew truck pulls up, first thing they'll point they're camera at is the Tea Party fat guy with the "Obama = Hitler Communist" sign, just like they'll focus on the obnoxious hippies talking nonsense when they show up at Zucotti.
I think that makes sense. I mean, rational is never as Good as Jews and Fluoride Stealing My Sperm.

Jenga

Banned
minus_273 said:
the police officer is part of the 99% they are helping him in the long run. he should have taken off his uniform and joined the protesters.
maybe we should stab everyone who isn't a part of the 99%!

Angry Fork said:
Police want to defend the 1% then moan when they get what's coming. I have no sympathy if anything happens to them.

Ylijf.gif

Angry Fork

Sunflower said:
So, being stabbed is 'what's coming'? I don't like that kind of thinking at all. :( Why do you want violence?

Do I need to keep listing the amount of robbery done to people of this country? If you're directly opposing the protestors you're defending the 1% as far as I'm concerned.

Revenant said:
About as classy as NYPD getting away with countless acts of police brutality. They're a piece of shit state sanctioned gang.

Sunflower said:
Again...why is it mutually exclusive? I don't want anyone hurt, and I don't want people put in positions where they can be hurt. This isn't some eye for an eye shit.
I disagree, I'm not the turn the other cheek type and I don't think anyone should be. It's antithetical to human survival and freedom if everyone bowed before those in power. Police should be protecting it's citizens and the douchebag former high school jock cowards in the NYPD are not fit to handle that job. edit - Police are actually defending it's citizens I take that back, it's just the only citizens they're protecting are in the sparkly tall high rise buildings.

alstein

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:

I think that makes sense. I mean, rational is never as Good as Jews and Fluoride Stealing My Sperm.

Pepper sprayed, maced, cops have caused serious injuries to protestors, more serious then a cut-up hand.

Not saying one justifies the other. I don't want martyrs, martyrs (especially if it happens on both sides) is going to make things worse.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:

No, but plenty are getting beat by batons.

Live Updates

1:56 pm: at least one medic reports someone bleeding from the head inside the Square. NYPD is preventing medics from helping.
1:53 pm: for no apparent reason, police have invaded Liberty Square and began indiscriminately shoving people and hitting people with batons
1:49 pm: paddy wagons approaching; more and more police surrounding the square; no way in or out; imminent mass arrests anticipated
1:43 pm: police using metal barricades to seal off Liberty Square; peaceful protestors are being told they are not allowed to leave; widespread reports of violence inside
1:38 pm: helmeted police are raiding Liberty Square, batons drawn; they have closed off the entrances and are not letting people in or out

One cop get stabbed > scores of protesters beat by cops, amirite?

alstein said:
Not saying one justifies the other. I don't want martyrs, martyrs (especially if it happens on both sides) is going to make things worse.

Agreed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
Do I need to keep listing the amount of robbery done to people of this country? If you're directly opposing the protestors you're defending the 1% as far as I'm concerned.

I disagree, I'm not the turn the other cheek type and I don't think anyone should be. It's antithetical to human survival and freedom if everyone bowed before those in power. Police should be protecting it's citizens and the douchebag former high school jock cowards in the NYPD are not fit to handle that job.

I don't want to be the type that asks a smarmy question when someone goes bananas, but were you bullied in high school? You've really got a chip on your shoulder.

Jenga

Banned
richiek said:
No, but plenty are getting beat by batons.

One cop get stabbed > scores of protesters beat by cops, amirite?
what kind of idiot do you have to be to play this game of escalation?

eznark

Banned
Angry Fork said:
I disagree, I'm not the turn the other cheek type and I don't think anyone should be. It's antithetical to human survival and freedom if everyone bowed before those in power. Police should be protecting it's citizens and the douchebag former high school jock cowards in the NYPD are not fit to handle that job. edit - Police are actually defending it's citizens I take that back, it's just the only citizens they're protecting are in the sparkly tall high rise buildings.

So...just out of curiosity what are you up to right now? Kind of hanging out, watching this on TV, letting other people do all the stabbin'? If you're so punk, why aren't you out there trying to butcher as many pigs as possible?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
richiek said:
Protesters walking on the pedestrian ramp of a bridge has less of an effect on traffic than shutting down actual car lanes for shooting some silly action film.
They're not walking. They're blockading.

Revenant

eznark said:
So...just out of curiosity what are you up to right now? Kind of hanging out, watching this on TV, letting other people do all the stabbin'? If you're so punk, why aren't you out there trying to butcher as many pigs as possible?
I think he said a page back once it started escalating into violence he'd join to "defend" OWS or something.

stabbed with what? a pencil, a knife sign stick. Im on the side that the best way for cops to keep the peace is to leave them alone.

Oh Glass that'll get ya. In all seriousness cops should stay the fuck out of this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Krauser Kat said:
stabbed with what? a pencil, a knife sign stick. Im on the side that the best way for cops to keep the peace is to leave them alone.

If peace was what people were interested in, we wouldn't have a cop stabbed in the hand by a glass object.

Barrett2

As a general rule, I would be skeptical of a "police officer hand laceration" accusation. Hey, when I forcefully threw this hippy to the ground and twisted his hands behind his back his unkempt fingernails broke the skin of my hand. Assaulting a Police Officer!

Angry Fork

Sunflower said:
I don't want to be the type that asks a smarmy question when someone goes bananas, but were you bullied in high school? You've really got a chip on your shoulder.

I've had my share/viewing of enough police brutality to know NYPD are corrupt cunts.

eznark said:
Because I'd probably be killed/go to jail in the process?

I already gave my opinion on the movement earlier, I think it's largely a mess that needs a real leader and better formation, but I still 100% what's going on now.

If there came a time where there was an actual civil war things would be different, then my job wouldn't matter and I'd be willing to fight with comrades, but right now it's not that big. I'm not going to risk my life if nothing will come of it. I have no sympathy for people who are directly opposing this movement though.
Sunflower said:
If peace was what people were interested in, we wouldn't have a cop stabbed in the hand by a glass object.
How do you know it wasn't self defense? Are people supposed to take baton beatings because police are infallible superior beings or something?

eznark

Banned
Revenant said:
I think he said a page back once it started escalating into violence he'd join to "defend" OWS or something.

Dick Cheney 2.0 said:

I already gave my opinion on the movement earlier, I think it's largely a mess that needs a real leader and better formation, but I still 100% what's going on now.

If there came a time where there was an actual civil war things would be different, then my job wouldn't matter and I'd be willing to fight with comrades, but right now it's not that big. I'm not going to risk my life if nothing will come of it. I have no sympathy for people who are directly opposing this movement though.

Total chickenhawk.

Jenga

Banned
a real supporter of the OWS movement should be hoping all the protesters should stay strong and refuse to play the game of violence with anyone

anyone who's actually hoping for violence or encouraging it is just another piece of shit extremist who's playing the game of people who want to dismantle the movement

BAM

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
I've had my share/viewing of enough police brutality to know NYPD are corrupt cunts.

Just hope in the future you don't paint everyone with so broad a brush. Someone's occupation does not make them anything less, as a human being. Wishing this on the police workforce is saddening. Judging people based on their occupation is bad. :(

Angry Fork

eznark said:
Total chickenhawk.
Not at all. I just know that 'keeping it real' doesn't work. You have to wait until a movement reaches beyond critical mass and becomes a nationwide thing.

Sunflower said:
Just hope in the future you don't paint everyone with so broad a brush. Someone's occupation does not make them anything, as a human being. Wishing this on the police workforce is saddening. Judging people based on their occupation is bad. :(
Fair enough. I was overzealous. I would be willing to admit there may be decent people in the NYPD, but I'm not going to excuse brutality because they're 'just doing their job'.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Jenga said:
a real supporter of the OWS movement should be hoping all the protesters should stay strong and refuse to play the game of violence with anyone

anyone who's actually hoping for violence is just another piece of shit extremist

BAM

Umm....

03QUh.jpg

akira28

Not worthy of a reply, just let it fall.

It could have been a protester or it could be a troublemaker or even a plant.

Until we have facts, if we ever get those facts, its best to not even speculate because literally anything could have gone down out there.

marrec

Banned
akira28 said:

Until we have facts, if we ever get those facts, its best to not even speculate because literally anything could have gone down out there.

It very well could have been an accident, the person who cut the cop is not in custody so we may not know until he/she is arrested.

Angry Fork

Jenga said:

anyone who's actually hoping for violence or encouraging it is just another piece of shit extremist who's playing the game of people who want to dismantle the movement

BAM
I'm more of a Malcolm X type than MLK (in terms of ideology). When Malcolm X said he wanted the march on washington to show the anger and power black people had, that's something I get goosebumps reading and completely agree with. MLK and co. succeeded in the end without violence but I don't think the same is possible in today's world.

I want this movement to be peacefully but getting hit by a baton for marching and causing a slight inconvenience to some people. Is begging for retaliation.

So yeah I guess some of these people are going to get their wish. Like that fool speaking at one of the protests saying that "We need our Kent State moment". *sigh*

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
powersurge said:
So yeah I guess some of these people are going to get their wish. Like that fool speaking at one of the protests saying that "We need our Kent State moment". *sigh*

Christ, why would anyone WANT that moment :mad:

akira28

marrec said:
It very well could have been an accident, the person who cut the cop is not in custody so we may not know until he/she is arrested.

Exactly, but I know the gang in blue will retaliate if they think someone has struck out at them, and they will use guilt by association and they will take it out on others. Attacking the police is a way to lose this. And I know 99% of the people out there know that.

Angry Fork

I don't understand how people can have sympathy towards the 1% AT ALL. It's shocking really. But I'm not a fan of capitalism in general so I don't know, maybe people think all of the 1% worked hard and made billions out of pulling their own bootstraps. They all deserve their money and deserve to continue taking it from people they deem to be worth less.

And the police are okay with this too. Clearly sleeping in tents in a park is much worse than all of that. It's inexcusable. They should take off their uniforms and join.

minus_273

Banned
eznark said:

hey man, we're hardcore alright. I just got my first butterfly tattoo yesterday.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
I don't understand how people can have sympathy towards the 1% AT ALL. It's shocking really. But I'm not a fan of capitalism in general so I don't know, maybe people think all of the 1% worked hard and made billions out of pulling their own bootstraps. They all deserve their money and deserve to continue taking it from people they deem to be worth less.

And the police are okay with this too. Clearly sleeping in tents in a park is much worse than all of that.

This isn't about sympathy for the 1%. This is about following the law.

I love that report of "stabbing" when the cop was probably scratched on the hand, and probably couldn't tell what or who scratched him. I love that an ambulance somehow managed to get in to take that one cop away with said scratch.

I also love how there'll either never be footage of the event (but there'll be a symbolic arrest), or that there'll be preposterously precise footage (like CSI "enhance" stuff) and some impossible item that was used in a frothing crowd of hundreds to thousands of people to do that.

That said, I hope the attack is either false or was not severe/was accidental. It's wrong to attack cops. People - protestors, officers, workers, etc - need to be safe.

Finally, absolutely not re: a leader for OWS. A leader is not just a leader - it's a target. The second someone becomes a figurehead for this thing, they can attack and discredit the movement based on that person, and not based on the topics. I'd hate to see this peter out because the guy who is the face of the movement is some guy who didn't pay some tax, or had some conviction, or some other thing that is unrelated to the points being made.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Krauser Kat said:
I want this movement to be peacefully but getting hit by a baton for marching and causing a slight inconvenience to some people. Is begging for retaliation.

Actually, it's not. Getting beat in the face with violence while demonstrating non violence is the power behind civil disobedience.

The moment you retaliate with violence your cause loses support and power.

Alucrid

Banned
akira28 said:

It was the lizardmen.

Hex

Banned
Angry Fork said:

And the police are okay with this too. Clearly sleeping in tents in a park is much worse than all of that. It's inexcusable. They should take off their uniforms and join.

You are trying way too damned hard.

Dude Abides

Banned
In yesterday's thread about the old lady and the pregnant woman I learned that if you put yourself in a situation where violence may break out you deserve what you get.

Angry Fork

Sunflower said:
This isn't about sympathy for the 1%. This is about following the law.
Nobody on Wall Street has been tried or convicted of any crime.

At all.

But sleeping in tents is against the law, arrest them all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
Nobody on Wall Street has been tried or convicted of any crime.

At all.

But sleeping in tents is against the law, arrest them all.

What is with "you people" and having no concept of both sides being wrong? Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom