• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude Abides said:
In yesterday's thread about the old lady and the pregnant woman I learned that if you put yourself in a situation where violence may break out you deserve what you get.
Aren't you a NLG member?

2:30-3:00 PM SUBWAY SPEAKOUTS
Manhattan: A/C/1 station at 168th and Broadway-- Carmen Perez, single mother living with her brother because lack of affordable housing
Manhattan: A/B/C/D station at 125th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue; 4/5/6 station at Union Square-- Monnie Callan, retired hospital worker caring for elderly sister
Brooklyn: A/C/L/J/Z station at Broadway Junction-- Edgar Andrade, small business owner struggling to support family through layoffs
Brooklyn: 4/5 station at Borough Hall-- Valerie Peterson, underemployed healthcare worker relying on children to make ends meet, struggles with diabetes
Bronx: 4 train station at Fordham Road-- Wanda Fuentes, underemployed home care worker caring for mother with Alzheimers
Bronx: 4/D station at 161st St - Yankee Stadium-- Minerva Morales, unemployed single mother and Christine DeLeon, evicted tenant
Bronx: 6 station at Hunts Point Avenue-- Rosa Balbuena, unemployed mother of 4
Queens: E station at Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Avenue-- William Berry, veteran and small business owner
Queens: E/J/Z station at Jamaica Center Parsons/Archer-- Juan Pelaez, lost job after workplace injury, facing eviction
Staten Island: St. George/State Island Ferry Terminal-- Zaida Moreno, fired due to budget cuts and hasn't found stable work for 2 years, now suffering medically due to stres
Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/S..._raid_on_Occupy_Wall_Street_NYC#ixzz1dzcdUkAF

This will be different how from the normal people you see on the subway...and that everyone ignores.

Angry Fork

captmcblack said:
Finally, absolutely not re: a leader for OWS. A leader is not just a leader - it's a target. The second someone becomes a figurehead for this thing, they can attack and discredit the movement based on that person, and not based on the topics. I'd hate to see this peter out because the guy who is the face of the movement is some guy who didn't pay some tax, or had some conviction, or some other thing that is unrelated to the points being made.
I know what you mean by this. It's a lose lose situation though. If you have a leader than what you said can happen, but if you don't then everyone keeps saying it's unorganized, they're just there to cause trouble etc. and so on.

Alienshogun said:
Actually, it's not. Getting beat in the face with violence while demonstrating non violence is the power behind civil disobedience.
So how many beatings is too much? When do people fight back? Honest question.

I swear I understand this side of the argument, I understand that getting something done through peace is much more meaningful and productive than through violence, but do you really think that's possible right now?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
captmcblack said:
What are the protesters wrong about?

The you people was directed towards Fork and another guy in the thread. For some reason it's always a "Well _____ didn't get this, so why should _____ get it?" instead of just accepting both sides can be in the wrong.

minus_273

Banned
Angry Fork said:
I don't understand how people can have sympathy towards the 1% AT ALL. It's shocking really. But I'm not a fan of capitalism in general so I don't know, maybe people think all of the 1% worked hard and made billions out of pulling their own bootstraps. They all deserve their money and deserve to continue taking it from people they deem to be worth less.

And the police are okay with this too. Clearly sleeping in tents in a park is much worse than all of that. It's inexcusable. They should take off their uniforms and join.

yeah the police are just scabs who didnt take off their uniforms and crossed the financial picket line against the proletariat and their union brothers.

Rocco Parascandola reports that there have been more than 100 Occupy Wall Street-related arrests so far today in New York City.

To update our earlier report about a copy with a hand injury: a cop was cut on the left hand by a thrown glass object.

A DCPI official told Jennifer Cunningham, "The officer who was injured was responding to a call for help inside the park. The cop responded inside. One of the protesters threw something. It was an object that had glass in it. I can't even describe it because I haven't seen it. It was something that was being held that was thrown at the officer. He's got a nasty cut on his left hand. Its probably going to take a about 20 stitches."

Cops are looking for the attacker.

Another cop was doused in the face with an unknown liquid earlier.

Four cops who were doused with a liquid earlier went to New York Downtown hospital.

Early this morning, police recovered - from doorways of Financial District buildings and from a truck stopped of the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel - about a dozen locking devices

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/S..._raid_on_Occupy_Wall_Street_NYC#ixzz1dzcdUkAF

Angry Fork

Sunflower said:
What is with "you people" and having no concept of both sides being wrong? Seriously.
Because one is harmless and one isn't?

Fucking hell why do people keep acting like these protestors are just as bad as the 1% for "breaking the law" as if all crime is the same? It's just crazy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
Because one is harmless and one isn't?

Fucking hell why do people keep acting like these protestors are just as bad as the 1% for "breaking the law" as if all crime is the same? It's just crazy.

Here's a wild idea - arrest all who break the law. All!

Angry Fork said:
I'm more of a Malcolm X type than MLK (in terms of ideology). When Malcolm X said he wanted the march on washington to show the anger and power black people had, that's something I get goosebumps reading and completely agree with. MLK and co. succeeded in the end without violence but I don't think the same is possible in today's world.

Really? Then how did the Egyptian revolution take place? How did the Tea Party accomplish what they did? Yes, they were bankrolled by big donors but they didn't use violence. Once the movement begins using violence the support they have from those outside of the movement will disappear.

Angry Fork

Sunflower said:
And first the ones who cause the most harm? Any police in the wall street building right now? Any investigations for fraud or anything of the like?

If Hitler (lol godwins law) was on the street, and a guy who drove drunk is on the street, yea you'd arrest both, but I think you should go for Hitler first don't you think? Instead hundreds of officers are dedicated to the drunk guy right now, for what?

minus_273

Banned
ClovingSteam said:
Really? Then how did the Egyptian revolution take place? How did the Tea Party accomplish what they did? Yes, they were bankrolled by big donors but they didn't use violence. Once the movement begins using violence the support they have from those outside of the movement will disappear.

how did the russian revolution take place? the long march? great leap forward? cultural revolution?

Alucrid

Banned
If the 1% want to squash this they should give angry fork an airing on cable news. That's sure to leave everyone with a bad taste in their mouth about ows.

Angry Fork said:
And first the ones who cause the most harm? Any police in the wall street building right now? Any investigations for fraud or anything of the like?

If Hitler (lol godwins law) was on the street, and a guy who drove drunk is on the street, yea you'd arrest both, but I think you should go for Hitler first don't you think? Instead hundreds of officers are dedicated to the drunk guy right now, for what?

Wouldn't we be more concerned with Hitler, previously dead, is now living and on the streets on NYC?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:

If you break the law, you should go to jail. This is how the world works.

Again, I hope you stop painting groups of people with such a broad brush on who 'deserves' to be stabbed and who doesn't. Sounds like someone you mentioned.

Angry Fork said:
I don't understand how people can have sympathy towards the 1% AT ALL. It's shocking really. But I'm not a fan of capitalism in general so I don't know, maybe people think all of the 1% worked hard and made billions out of pulling their own bootstraps. They all deserve their money and deserve to continue taking it from people they deem to be worth less.

And the police are okay with this too. Clearly sleeping in tents in a park is much worse than all of that. It's inexcusable. They should take off their uniforms and join.

Lets use Steve Jobs as an example. Do you think that the government has the right to take large amounts of his wealth simply because he has a lot of it? I do agree that some of the tax loop holes that have been used by the wealthy should be closed and that everyone should pay roughly the same % wise.

Sunflower said:
What is with "you people" and having no concept of both sides being wrong? Seriously.

This. Both "sides" have been wrong. Be it violence (and vandalism) by both sides during these protests or the events leading to them.

Sunflower said:

But they don't do that.
Nobody involved in any of the frauds on Wall St that caused much of this political, economic and social unrest have been arrested except for Bernie Madoff, and that's because his fraud was so overt and titanic that it would be impossible for him to be allowed to not be imprisoned (it'd make the justice system look irredeemably joke-y).

None of the law enforcement that arrested, beat, or otherwise inappropriately acted towards protesters across the country have even been reprimanded or reassigned.

None of the politicians that facilitated or profited from this stuff - like Gingrich via Freddie Mac for example, or those Congress people doing insider trading - are even being discussed.

This protest exists because your point literally doesn't happen.

Barrett2

Ouch

d6c79357-9f01-40d6-88d9-0d935f91b5b7_500.jpg

Alucrid

Banned
Angry Fork said:

Actually at that point in time id say the drunk driver has a better chance of killing someone than hitler.

Angry Fork

Alucrid said:
If the 1% want to squash this they should give angry fork an airing on cable news. That's sure to leave everyone with a bad taste in their mouth about ows.
This turning violent would be worse for both sides, 100% admitted.

I just personally don't think it's possible for billionaires to see some people holding arms on a street down below and say "hmm ...maybe we should change guys".

akira28

Hitler clone deserves a chance at real life because he hasn't hurt anyone. Just keep him away from OWS and any cameras because FOX News would elect him as the new leader of the movement.

Arbitrary city ordinances versus criminal law is the issue. People are getting beaten over fucking zoning.

Angry Fork said:
I just personally don't think it's possible for billionaires to see some people holding arms on a street down below and say "hmm ...maybe we should change guys".

You're right. You'd first have to assume they had souls and empathy, and they've already disqualified themselves on that point. This isn't about them. It's about us getting fired up enough to go at them. They're not used to being challenged by the people they push around.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
captmcblack said:
This protest exists because your point literally doesn't happen.

This is why it's such a wild idea. I wish it did happen. I wish all guilty people would do their assigned time. They don't, and it should be a goal of everyone that actual justice is truly upheld, as impossible a task as it may be.

minus_273 said:
how did the russian revolution take place? the long march? great leap forward? cultural revolution?

I didn't say that violence doesn't work sometimes, rather, Angry was stating that a non violent movement isn't possible in this world. The Egyptian revolution states otherwise. Also, we're not Russia. Our citizens are not use to violence for the most part. Sorry but you're not going to get anywhere in this country with violence. This is no longer the 1800's and we're not in a civil war environment.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I have no clue what occurred in this image stream that the Daily News just posted

Strange, he's not bleeding while on the ground.

Angry Fork

powersurge said:
Lets use Steve Jobs as an example. Do you think that the government has the right to take large amounts of his wealth simply because he has a lot of it?

I definitely do. If I was given 100 grand right now I would feel rich, but 25 billion? I wouldn't know what to do with it. Why not give it all away and help everyone else? who wasn't as lucky as I might've been, or didn't have the same resources for education and connections.

powersurge said:
Lets use Steve Jobs as an example. Do you think that the government has the right to take large amounts of his wealth simply because he has a lot of it? I do agree that some of the tax loop holes that have been used by the wealthy should be closed and that everyone should pay roughly the same % wise.

This. Both "sides" have been wrong. Be it violence (and vandalism) by both sides during these protests or the events leading to them.

Uggggghhhh ....

Sunflower said:
Strange, he's not bleeding while on the ground.
I know it's odd. Perhaps the wound was on the back of the head, considering it rainy outside it could be a small cut and well like Pro Wrestling lots of juice.

Actually I know it sounds odd, but I think something similar to that occurred.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fenderputty said:
Fine ... can we agree to start with the people that threw the country into a wild recession?

No start-withs - everyone. I'm not showing favoritism. All guilty, all do their time and accept their punishment. That's the way it should work, with no favoritism or prejudice. But yknow, it'll never happen.

But I wish it would.

Chris R

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I know it's odd. Perhaps the wound was on the back of the head, considering it rainy outside it could be a small cut and well like Pro Wrestling lots of juice.

Actually I know it sounds odd, but I think something similar to that occurred.
Does that make the NYPD the heel?

.GqueB.

Banned
Angry Fork said:

HITLER IS DEAD YOU IDOIT HOW WOULD HE BE ON THE STREETS OF NEW YORK?!?@!

GAWD@!@

Edit: Beaten by Manos. Goddamn you Manos... goddamn you...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thank god there's no likelihood of the brazzers watermark showing up in any of these pics.

akira28

No, kid just received a wooden shampoo from his newest hairstylist, the NYPD. His hair is full of blood, someone has scalp lacerations at very least.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Angry Fork said:
I swear I understand this side of the argument, I understand that getting something done through peace is much more meaningful and productive than through violence, but do you really think that's possible right now?

How long and how much is irrelevant, have movements like the civil rights movement taught you nothing?

The moment you move to retaliation, your cause loses all purpose, backing, and legitimacy.

If you wanna know how to do civil disobedience right look to the civil rights movement and Ghandhi

Just one quote from Ghandhi

GANDHI ON NON-VIOLENT ACTION AND CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE
Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the state has become lawless or corrupt. And a citizen who barters with such a state shares in its corruption and lawlessness...Every citizen is responsible for every act of his government...There is only one sovereign remedy, namely, non-violent non-cooperation. Whether we advertise the fact or not, the moment we cease to support the government it dies a nature death....My method is conversion, not coercion, it is self-suffering, not the suffering of the tyrant....I hope the real Swaraj (self-rule) will come not by the acquisition of authority by the few but by the acquisition by all of the courage to resist authority when abused. In other words, Swaraj is to be attained by education the masses to a sense of their capacity to regulate ad control authority.... Civil disobedience is the assertion of a right which law should give but which it denies...Civil disobedience presupposes willing obedience of our self-imposed rules, and without it civil disobedience would be cruel joke....Civil disobedience means capacity for unlimited suffering without the intoxicating excitement of killing....Disobedience to be civil has to be open and nonviolent....Disobedience to be civil implies discipline, thought, care, attention...Disobedience that is wholly civil should never provoke retaliation....Non-cooperation and civil disobedience are different but [are] branches of the same tree call Satyagraha (truth-force).... Coercion cannot but result in chaos in the end....One who uses coercion is guilty of deliberate violence. Coercion is inhuman....Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good... Nonviolent action without the cooperation of the heart and the head cannot produce the intended result....All through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall, always.

Angry Fork

Sunflower said:
Thank god there's no likelihood of the brazzers watermark showing up in any of these pics.
Okay this made me laugh, kind of surprised someone hasn't thought of it yet.

Although it could match the guy with his pants off on the floor.

Sunflower said:
No start-withs - everyone. I'm not showing favoritism. All guilty, all do their time and accept their punishment. That's the way it should work, with no favoritism or prejudice. But yknow, it'll never happen.

But I wish it would.

Hint hint ... it wont' ever happen because people with the money have the resources required to prevent it from happening when most of us don't.

I like how several of the posters who were shocked about a guy in favor of that cop getting stabbed were cheering on the fellow who ran a red light and ran over two protesters in Oakland about a week and a half ago.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fenderputty said:
Hint hint ... it wont' ever happen because people with the money have the resources required to prevent it from happening when most of us don't.

It goes beyond the money though. People are unjustly let off the hook -or- arrested when money ISN'T involved. We'd have to re-structure society.

Jak140

Sunflower said:
If you break the law, you should go to jail. This is how the world works.

Something being a law doesn't make it right. If all forms of protest were illegal, would you still support every protester being dragged off to jail? Illegally occuppying a park as a form of civil disobedience isn't even on the same scale as the fraud and corruption they are protesting, yet the number of protesters arrested has numbered in the thousands, while the number of people jailed for causing the financial meltdown is still zero. What good are laws if there is no justice?

powersurge said:

$1 million annual income - tax 20%
$800,000 left over

$40k annual income - tax 20%
$32,000 left over

Do you see a problem there?

Also, those who make millions have many more opportunities to find tax loopholes and write offs than those who make $35-40k.

A flat tax for all isn't fair, sorry.

.GqueB.

Banned
Uhoh theyre marching to Union Square. The battle for the stairs begins. SO many deadbeat highschool kids over there. AND its 3 'o' clock? Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttt

Angry Fork

badcrumble said:
I like how several of the posters who were shocked about a guy in favor of that cop getting stabbed were cheering on the fellow who ran a red light and ran over two protesters in Oakland about a week and a half ago.
To be fair I'd say it's too strong to be in favor of a cop getting stabbed, but I'll say I neither agree nor condemn it.

Still though good point. I just don't like that police get a higher stature (while not earning it in my opinion, at least not the NYPD) and if they get hurt it's like stop the world guys we must all pray and cry etc. but if protesters get hurt by cops it's lolol got what they deserve, little heathen dipshits...

.GqueB. said:
Uhoh theyre marching to Union Square. The battle for the stairs begins. SO many deadbeat highschool kids over there. AND its 3 'o' clock? Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttt
1071b4c5-0d4c-4755-8187-29c5df0c75f1_500.jpg

About three hundred protesters have matched on Broadway up to Chambers - on their way from Zuccotti to Union Square.

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/S..._raid_on_Occupy_Wall_Street_NYC#ixzz1dziTUsKB

Context on the earlier images
This Occupy Wall Steet protester suffered a head injury after he knocked off a police officer's hat - and set off a near riot in Zuccotti Park, according to our reporter John Doyle. Photos by Craig Warga/New York Daily News.

Read more: http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/S..._raid_on_Occupy_Wall_Street_NYC#ixzz1dziaNO9O

Looks like the dumbass decided to touch a cop, which of course is always a smart idea.

Barrett2

.GqueB. said:

Hopefully they stop by Tos Torros and pick up a delicious steak taco to fuel their anti-corporate greed rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom