• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBishop

Banned
The Albatross said:
I dunno, I haven't seen the "#99%" Hashtag, or the "I am the 99%" movement type stuff from the Tea Party? The occupy movements seem to be very clearly identified as representing those other 99%, who should stand up, and demand that their voices are heard. I don't feel like the Tea Party represents me. But, beyond that, should I not be part of the 99% anymore because I believe in paying my student loans?

Are you just oblivious to the concept of reform? It's possible to simultaneously "believe" in paying student loans, and also recognize the myriad problems with higher education costs/financing.

Not that student loans are a major part of the Occupy movement...

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The Albatross said:
I haven't seen the "#99%" Hashtag, or the "I am the 99%" movement type stuff from the Tea Party?
From the beginning they advertised that they were the "majority"

silent-majority-no-more.jpg

I keep seeing people bring up "reinstate Glass-Steagall" as a serious solution to regulating the banking industry. In reality, reinstating it is a complete non-starter. It would a trigger a massive recession- far worse than when Lehman Brothers liquidated in '08. The Dow would easily lose at least 5,000 and unemployment would double within a month or so. You can't just rip these banks apart at this point, the cat is already out of bag and we must use other measures to mitigate risky investing behaviors.

In the previous thread, I said that limiting day to day, week to week, and month to month market volatility should be regulators/Congress primary focus. To do this, our capital gains tax code needs to be further stratified based on the period one holds onto investments. Limit day trading, and encourage long-term investing. Also, limit commodities trading/speculating by increasing taxes on specific commodities, primarily petroleum, (we already do so with gold) or limit the size of orders of such trades/futures. The rest of the world, or at least mostly commodity importing nations (EU, Japan, India, China), need to enact similar measures in their markets as well.

The Albatross said:
Sorry, I didn't think it was necessary to identify SallieMae as my lendor, that their rates may have been higher than the prime rate didn't change my opinion of whether I should pay them back or not. As an 18 year old waiter, I didn't think that I had a right to borrow at prime... I suppose, maybe I should have demanded that? I dunno, I think if I demanded to borrow at prime, as an 18 year old in 2002, then I would have had more trouble financing my education than if I accepted what I considered were pretty fair rates.

Regardless of whether it was straight from the Feds at prime or through the then quasae-governmental Sallie Mae at higher than prime, though, I am glad that my professors, food services, B&G, staff members, and so on, who helped me get to college could get paid.

No, I'm not even talking about Sallie Mae (which has been completely private since 2004). I am talking about the fact that student loans came with federal guarantees, meaning private corporations were never on the hook for them. The public was. So, you're welcome for that loan. All the corporation that lent you money did was make a risk-free profit. And, compared to what rate the government would have charged had the system not contained this unnecessary middleman, that corporation gouged you, so that risk-free profit came at your expense and to your detriment.

(Thankfully, this system that literally made people pay financial institutions money for nothing just in order to attend college has been eliminated with legislation signed by Obama, but plutocrats are certainly trying to reverse this gain.)

The Albatross said:
I dunno, I haven't seen the "#99%" Hashtag, or the "I am the 99%" movement type stuff from the Tea Party? The occupy movements seem to be very clearly identified as representing those other 99%, who should stand up, and demand that their voices are heard. I don't feel like the Tea Party represents me. But, beyond that, should I not be part of the 99% anymore because I believe in paying my student loans?

Up to you, really. I support higher education being publicly provided.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
gutter_trash said:
I don't mind this occupy movement.

at least it is a real grass roots movement

unlike the fabricated fake Tea Party
eh, Tea Party was a real grass roots movement. There has always been a large libertarian-leaning population that wasn't comfortable with modern politics. They just got morphed into something truly disgusting really quickly, and before the vast majority had heard of them.

But I think that's because the libertarianism is disgusting, it just isn't as obvious as it should be to the people in it because they feel like they're being rational and idealistic.

MIMIC

Banned
I actually like this. People....YOUNG PEOPLE giving a damn about something important. A social movement in 2011. I approve.

[Nintex]

Wazzim said:
I don't know if it has been discussed here but they are planning a protest on the 15th of Oktober in The Hague (Netherlands).
I kinda want to go but I'll probably wait to see how it plays out, don't want to stand there with 2 high school drop-outs in the rain. The media is already on it though, the state radio was already talking about it and it hasn't even started yet!
I think it could gain some traction but the problem is that parties like Groenlinks or the SP or PvdA(which is desperate right now) join in and call it their protest. But with the whole Greek/Euro thing going on I do believe we'll see a larger turnout than we usually do for these sort of events.

marrec

Banned
theBishop said:
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you only pay attention to the totally unbiased, wholesome, centrist, flag-waving, Jesus-loving, kitten-petting, apple pie-eating, American Job Creating press.

That post started out so sane... oh what could have been.

Divvy said:
I like how you don't mention the Forbes, Businessweek and Al Jazeera articles that are also on the first page.

I searched 'wall street crimes' 'matt taibbi' (or however you spell his name) and there were no Forbes, Businessweek or Al Jazeera articles.

Besides, Forbes is a terrible place for any kind of facts.

alstein

Something Wicked said:
I keep seeing people bring up "reinstate Glass-Steagall" as a serious solution to regulating the banking industry. In reality, reinstating it is a complete non-starter. It would a trigger a massive recession- far worse than when Lehman Brothers liquidated in '08. The Dow would easily lose at least 5,000 and unemployment would double within a month or so. You can't just rip these banks apart at this point, the cat is already out of bag and we must use other measures to mitigate risky investing behaviors.

In the previous thread, I said that limiting day to day, week to week, and month to month market volatility should be regulators/Congress primary focus. To do this, our capital gains tax code needs to be further stratified based on the period one holds onto investments. Limit day trading, and encourage long-term investing. Also, limit commodities trading/speculating by increasing taxes on specific commodities, primarily petroleum, (we already do so with gold) or limit the size of orders of such trades/futures. The rest of the world, or at least mostly commodity importing nations (EU, Japan, India, China), need to enact similar measures in their markets as well.

So be it. We'd be better off in the long-term. Personally I'd love to see some old fashioned trustbusting. Go after the monster megabanks and split them up. Then none of them would be too big to fail.

Puddles

Banned
Since this is largely about taking the money out of politics, the occupy movement should draft a public campaign finance bill and find a House member or Senator to sponsor it (Sanders? Franken?).

We could turn this into a nationwide, bipartisan movement. I think this is one of the issues people are angry about that absolutely cuts across party lines.

Encourage people to vote against ANY candidate who doesn't support Campaign Finance Reform. Make this a deal-breaker. Even if a candidate agrees with 99% of what you support, if he/she doesn't support Campaign Finance Reform, that candidate doesn't get your vote.

VALIS

NY Daily News Reporter's twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/anjalimullany

anjalimullany Anjali Mullany
The unions running this rally is a game changer. They know exactly what they are doing. The energy is thru the roof & the message is united.

For 1st time at an #occupwallstreet rally, entire crowd seems united in their demands: the rich need to pay, and these protesters want jobs
15 minutes ago

Foley is PACKED with union members and "99%" protesters - and they are still streaming in. Helicopters hover above nydn.us/nSpH8p
19 minutes ago

This crowd feels angrier/more demanding than the other #occupwallstreet rallies I've been to. No chants of "this is a peaceful protest" here
20 minutes ago

Wow. This feels like a professional, might union rally. Thousands in Foley already, as more & more protesters roll in nydn.us/nSpH8p

I very much like these developments.

gutter_trash said:
I don't mind this occupy movement.

at least it is a real grass roots movement

unlike the fabricated fake Tea Party

yeah, the Tea Party ideals were based on irrational paranoia. Tea Party activists are just a bunch of stooges being suckered by corporations and the Koch brothers to do the dirty work for them.

At least with Occupy Wall Street, the problem is more tangible and real.

magicstop

FUr1y.png

nKFL0.png

I love how face after face, person after person, speaker after speaker defies the stereotypes being shoveled on this movement. These aren't just hippies; these aren't just hipsters; these aren't just traditional leftists; these are regular people from all walks of life. People who you might see anywhere, or at any event. Conservative, liberal, religious, non-religious, left, right, woman, man, black, white.

marrec

Banned
Puddles said:
Since this is largely about taking the money out of politics, the occupy movement should draft a public campaign finance bill and find a House member or Senator to sponsor it (Sanders? Franken?).

We could turn this into a nationwide, bipartisan movement. I think this is one of the issues people are angry about that absolutely cuts across party lines.

Encourage people to vote against ANY candidate who doesn't support Campaign Finance Reform. Make this a deal-breaker. Even if a candidate agrees with 99% of what you support, if he/she doesn't support Campaign Finance Reform, that candidate doesn't get your vote.

Impossible, they're pretty much all corrupt.

Not that I disagree with what should be done, just that I don't agree that it's possible at this point with the kind of established politicians we have in America right now.

VALIS

Battersea Power Station said:
Why are they getting ignored by Stewart/Colbert? Are they gauging whether to make fun of them or support them?

Kind of. I assume it's more like, "we're a humor show foremost and poke fun at everything, and if we're not going to lampoon this, let's just leave it alone."

Although I assume they'll start talking about it at some point.

magicstop said:
FUr1y.png

nKFL0.png

I love how face after face, person after person, speaker after speaker defies the stereotypes being shoveled on this movement. These aren't just hippies; these aren't just hipsters; these aren't just traditional leftists; these are regular people from all walks of life. People who you might see anywhere, or at any event. Conservative, liberal, religious, non-religious, left, right, woman, man, black, white.
You don't think that is carefully managed in the least?

Marleyman

Banned
marrec said:
Impossible, they're pretty much all corrupt.

Not that I disagree with what should be done, just that I don't agree that it's possible at this point with the kind of established politicians we have in America right now.

Right on. I said it earlier that it isn't just the President but ALL politicians who are bought and paid for.

Enosh

not from the US, but still my take:
I like the idea behind this, tax the rich and corporations, more regulations etc, I can get behind this, hell I just now read the story of the fired HP or something CEO getting a 10 million severance package, he doesn't deserve shit, much less 10 million for being fired
but the problem is, well how to say this gently, the majority in these protest seems to be the kind of people I would line up against a wall along with the bankers and CEOs if I was a dictator ^^

The Dutch Slayer said:
WOW that is a lot of people.

2sbmyd3.jpg
See that's what you can do when unions take over something like this, that said they are about to coopt/marginalize a lot of the goofier elements. If only because they wont be able to maintain or draw numbers like they can with union assistance.

Enron

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
See that's what you can do when unions take over something like this, that said they are about to coopt/marginalize a lot of the goofier elements. If only because they wont be able to maintain or draw numbers like they can with union assistance.

Yep. This has basically become a union-deal now - if they are bringing the oomph they are going to want the majority of the stage. Movement = co-opted

Enron said:
Yep. This has basically become a union-deal now - if they are bringing the oomph they are going to want the majority of the stage. Movement = co-opted

Center of the stage of what exactly? Occupy Wall Street?

There are other Occupy protests going on this weekend around the country.

UltimaPooh said:

Is there a list of where this nonsense is going on? The girlfriend and I were planning on a trip to New Orleans this weekend but I don't want to go if the crazies are out.

Well okay, more crazies than usual, anyway.

AbsoluteZero said:
Is there a list of where this nonsense is going on? The girlfriend and I were planning on a trip to New Orleans this weekend but I don't want to go if the crazies are out.

Well okay, more crazies than usual, anyway.

Yes at Occupytogether.org

Although the crazies won't be taking over the entire cities.

UltimaPooh said:
Yes at Occupytogether.org

Although the crazies won't be taking over the entire cities.

Thankfully the meetup page for N.O. lists a measly three people. I figure that'll get up to ten by Saturday, so I should be okay.

Thanks for the list.

UltimaPooh said:

Most Unions have local and state branches. Its rebranding time on a large scale. Truthfully it increases the chance of something actually coming out of this affair, but the authorship is going to be quite different than originally intended.

VALIS

Again, NY Daily News reporter..

1000s marching up Broadway. Drums, chants, a lot of organized labor here. @Chanders just saved me from walking into a pole during this tweet
1 minute ago

These thousands (5? 6?) of people are about to march to Wall Street."we are the 99%!" they chant. Small marching band here.Party atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom