• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrr gnr

Alpha-Bromega said:
this is the movement ive been waiting for; but now what? does it just hit a critical mass that if we just really, really want it, the embedded corruption just weeds itself out, or what?

will these issues be fixed so that the generation upcoming can afford to go to college without selling their souls?

we are already a lost generation, we're fucked as it is, but i hope what happens here can at least help for the future.
We are still the generation of apathy. It'll take a shift in mass consciousness and a slew of educated voters who give a shit.

I just don't think that it will happen as a consequence of this movement.

The general population of our country feels satisfied with ignorance and with even more inimicable results -- satiated with misinformation. They don't feel the pressure of imminent collapse in their day-to-day lives. They don't see themselves as the exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires, if you will.

Had you asked me 5 years ago, what it would have taken for people to become aware of the corporatocracy they live in, I would have answered, "a massive economic collapse" -- that happened -- and nothings changed.

This whole thing reminds me of the hippy episode of south park.

Most of them seem to be yelling just to yell, without any idea what they are yelling about, or how to accomplish anything.

Kevtones

Ether_Snake said:
I suggest you do some reading.

This is condescending and pointless.

You've got a movement named for an international economic institution, focused on social justice, populating cities to combat local issues. Either it needs clarity or it'll continue to flounder in the eyes of those judging it on a superficial level.

SlipperySlope said:

Most of them seem to be yelling just to yell, without any idea what they are yelling about, or how to accomplish anything.

congratulations because you have just contributed nothing while perfectly showing that your grasp of the movement is literally 0

markot

Banned
So the people who should be protesting cant cause they have to work.

So ergo, no one should be protesting.

Great logic there.

Loki

Count of Concision
effzee said:
Was out to a dinner last night with friends. One of my wife's friends husband works in finance for some hedge fund company on Wall St.

I wasn't part of the conversation (I was on the otherside of the table) but I was shocked to hear some of the comments :

"If they didn't want to make 30-50k they should have worked harder and went into finance!"

"If they wanted to make more money why did they become teachers?"

Because a nation can survive with everyone working in finance! LMAO @ idiots who think like this. The entire financial services sector and the spoiled, entitled, arrogant fuckwits who constitute it can eat a dick.

akira28

SlipperySlope said:

What do you know about the protest? Have you seen the information sites? Or are you going off of youtube videos and news media? What's the story?

They're trying to sharpen their edge. You have any ideas to help? I'd like to discuss them.

akira28 said:
What do you know about the protest? Have you seen the information sites? Or are you going off of youtube videos and news media? What's the story?

The people interviewed seem incoherent about what they're arguing about.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I can't wait until so many pictures of protests from around the world are posted that the notion of ridiculing the legitimacy of the protests by talking only about the protesters in New York city will be seen as just that: ridiculous.

edit: Like Slipperyslope just did.

SlipperySlope said:
The people interviewed seem incoherent about what they're arguing about.

welcome to our amazingly literate and educated societ- oh wait.

you don't need to have an indepth understanding of socio-economic conditions (do you? can you do this on the spot without 'editting' irl statements? ) to realize you just lost your home, your wages have stagnated for 20 years, and your brother just died in some desert so he can make a CEO very happy

SlipperySlope said:
Some have been interviewed. And I spoke to a few in Irvine yesterday (I was biking home from work), and they're just as incoherent as the others that have been asked.

does this delegitimate the entire movement and concept of social justice and accountability to you or does it just postively affirm your own perceived grasp of whatever topic at hand?

ronito

SlipperySlope said:
Some have been interviewed. And I spoke to a few in Irvine yesterday (I was biking home from work), and they're just as incoherent as the others that have been asked.
Slippery, even if you did find some of the best spoken protestors out there you would still right them off. They want social justice and separation of corporation and state. You know, crazy hippy ideas.

Alpha-Bromega said:
does this delegitimate the entire movement and concept of social justice and accountability to you or does it just postively affirm your own perceived grasp of whatever topic at hand?

I'm going to need you to elaborate on a statement you just made.

Alpha-Bromega said:
and your brother just died in some desert so he can make a CEO very happy

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Can we stop with the stupidity of trying to apply the views of a few to a representation of everyone protesting? This must be what people resort to when there isn't a leader for them to go after.

Also, Slippery, where in Irvine were they protesting? Just curious.

ronito said:
Slippery, even if you did find some of the best spoken protestors out there you would still right them off. They want social justice and separation of corporation and state. You know, crazy hippy ideas.

Social justice is such a broad term. What exactly do they want changed?

And no amount of protesting would ever separate corporation and state. You'd need a revolution for that.

sp3000

alpha, do you realize those idiots who couldn't pay for their homes and lost them are part of why this financial collapse started.

Just came back from Occupy Philadelphia. The highlight of the day was marching from City Hall to Independence Hall. We had probably 800-1000 people there. It was an incredible time. It was actually quite fitting: where the country was born, we were protesting right out front of.

Tent city, outside City Hall, is so organized and is growing daily. There are many different groups assigned for different operations, and everything flows. It's great.

TBH, a highlight of my day would have to be getting a quick bite to eat, and sitting down next to 4-5 police officers taking a break. They were talking about how much the occupation is costing the city (like 40k a day or something, they said it will total cost over 1mil by the end of the month), and that "these hippies need to get out of our city and find a job". It was then I quickly muttered, "hey buddy I think there's a Dunkin Donuts that needs occupying"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sp3000 said:
alpha, do you realize those idiots who couldn't pay for their homes and lost them are part of why this financial collapse started.

Oh boy.

Do you own a house?

SlipperySlope said:
I'm going to need you to elaborate on a statement you just made.

Halliburton and various other corporations, or private armies such as Blackwater/ Xe invested in the rebuilding of Iraq, most of which won no bid contracts and btw are related to members of government (that's not fishy!) profit from the occupation and the lives of Americans, and of Iraqi's, on a daily basis through their initial invasion and constant vigil. Members of my family and i'm positive others here were the unwitting security guards of contractors.

rdrr gnr

SlipperySlope said:
Social justice is such a broad term. What exactly do they want changed?

And no amount of protesting would ever separate corporation and state. You'd need a revolution for that.
Go back a few pages and you'll see a reading of their first collective statement from a few days back.

And by revolution, what are you implying? Mass publics like OWS are the foundations of sociohistorical change, no? What, for you, would concretize OWS as a legitimate movement with capability of facilitating change?

sp3000 said:
aw yeah, gonna just absolve the financial sector of any culpability in granting those loans

sp3000 said:

no, they are just the butt end of a series of decisions funded on hopes and dreams (trademark pending) of Investment houses riding on the fact that they've been getting away with shit for so long that it's never ever gonna come to actually presenting the money! and if we are made to, we can just see how those toxic loans are doing ya kno

don't fucking call people idiots who were told their loans were good as gravy, don't worry, OH SHIT NVM LEMME TAKE YOUR HOUSE? OH YOUR MORTGAGE HAHA WELL...

So the only people who ended up having to pay for the whole entire scheme were the 'idiots' you denegrate. Awesome.

rdrr gnr

Alpha-Bromega said:
Halliburton and various other corporations, or private armies such as Blackwater/ Xe invested in the rebuilding of Iraq, most of which won no bid contracts and btw are related to members of government (that's not fishy!) profit from the occupation and the lives of Americans, and of Iraqi's, on a daily basis through their initial invasion and constant vigil. Members of my family and i'm positive others here were the unwitting security guards of contractors.
"I spent thirty-three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism."— Smedley D. Butler

The extension of corporate imperialism by means of government involvement is not something new to history.

ronito

sp3000 said:
Yeah, but it seems you don't.
hey sp3000 if rich get rich because they work harder, and you say people in china and india work far harder than anyone in America why aren't the Chinese and Indians filthy rich?

akira28

SlipperySlope said:

Try them out again in a while. The people I know down there are educated and have a list, a long list of issues. Some of which have made it to the Occupy movement proposed lists and websites. They've even condensed it down to slogans. But really, like I keep saying, we want to root this out. We want to strike at the root. (A good website by the way.) So they aren't being hasty with messages or slogans or the like. They have put up lists of issues, they aren't finalized. This thing is still growing, but it's born. That is for sure. You find out where you stand, when you stand. You don't ask someone on your way home about it. Go see for yourself.

PS3GamerKyle said:
Just came back from Occupy Philadelphia. The highlight of the day was marching from City Hall to Independence Hall. We had probably 800-1000 people there. It was an incredible time. It was actually quite fitting: where the country was born, we were protesting right out front of.

Tent city, outside City Hall, is so organized and is growing daily. There are many different groups assigned for different operations, and everything flows. It's great.

TBH, a highlight of my day would have to be getting a quick bite to eat, and sitting down next to 4-5 police officers taking a break. They were talking about how much the occupation is costing the city (like 40k a day or something, they said it will total cost over 1mil by the end of the month), and that "these hippies need to get out of our city and find a job". It was then I quickly muttered, "hey buddy I think there's a Dunkin Donuts that needs occupying"

it's post like these i love, thanks for joining. solidarity and peace be with you

Ether_Snake said:
Please let us known when you foreclose. So we can laugh.
not only is that sentiment unclassy as hell, but clearly no one would ever foreclose on him because he's Not an Idiot (idiots meaning anyone making less than $60,000 a year)

Kevtones

PS3GamerKyle said:

You do realize you basically told the same joke as the cop?

Gregorn

I've only just heard about this and most news sites aren't helping me understand what exactly is going on. Are people just protesting against people being greedy or something?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
elrechazao said:
Did you mean to say "when you are foreclosed on"? Or do you think he's a bank?

Yes, English isn't my first language. My statement still stands:p

YO this type of really petty squabbling i think distracts from authentic discourse and ultimately kind of makes every really dum' lookin'

I've only just heard about this and most news sites aren't helping me understand what exactly is going on. Are people just protesting against people being greedy or something?

simply put, government, financial and corporate interests have essentially become one, and enact policies and make decisions that they benefit from at the detriment of the people of X nation state. These institutions are not held accountable in any way, and in many cases they are rewarded with bailouts and the victims are forced to suffer even more through 'austerity' measures

ronito said:
well if he doesn't own a bank it's his own lazy ass fault!
I own three banks, and agree. As one of the 1% I like to travel back to the 19th century, create dickensian orphans, then throw them out into the street in winter.

on that note i am going to check out Occupy Columbus for most of the next week (esp. after Tuesday), see what turnout's like, see what the discussions there are like

if it's anything like how Occupy Cleveland's been doing it should be a hell of a time

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
ronito said:
hey sp3000 if rich get rich because they work harder, and you say people in china and india work far harder than anyone in America why aren't the Chinese and Indians filthy rich?

I wonder if anyone has done any measurements on this but my guess is that every year, there are more new Chinese and Indian millionaires than new American millionaires.

It would be an interesting thing to measure.

ronito

elrechazao said:
I own three banks, and agree. As one of the 1% I like to travel back to the 19th century, create dickensian orphans, then throw them out into the street in winter.
IS098R5ST.jpg

You and me both old bean!

XMonkey said:
Can we stop with the stupidity of trying to apply the views of a few to a representation of everyone protesting? This must be what people resort to when there isn't a leader for them to go after.

Also, Slippery, where in Irvine were they protesting? Just curious.

It was a small street corner protest. Like 10 people. As for where... let me think real quick. Sorry, it's a 10 mile ride and I navigate like 25 intersections.

It was on Main St. I was on the left side of the road, and had to have turned left at the intersection since I didn't pass through the people on the other side of the road. It had to have been Main and Von Karman. Seems like an odd corner for them to protest.

Main and Macarthur would have been a more logical place to protest, but I would have been on the right side of the road then.

They had signs that said "Occupy Irvine".

Edit - Yeah, it was Main and Von Karman. They were on the little island thing where the right turn breaks off and leaves a little island in the intersection.

rdrr gnr

elrechazao said:
Deadline is coming up quickly, sign up while you can.

Enron

Banned
Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
Were you here defending the tea partiers?

Of course not. It's only legitimate if it agrees with you.

I don't care about their right to protest. Protest is fine. I care that they are trampling on other people's shit to do it. Want to protest? Go fucking do it at the bank. Or on the steps of the House and Senate. Tea Party jerks didn't pull shit like this. They just show up someplace, "protest"/rally/scream, and leave.

akira28

Slip, do you think that some of the larger movements might actually have plans and aims and goals? Or that they might be in development and that they will seriously pursue them? Or will you base your idea of the entire movement on whatever kid decided to actually speak to news reporters, or some dude you spoke to at a 10 person rally in Irvine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom