• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Kyoufu

Vince can't keep popping up every time there's reason for concern. He's still relying on fans' association with the Attitude era instead of building up current talent.

They are building up current talent.

Dolph holds the briefcase. Ryback is already sniffing the main event. Miz is intercontinental champion. Cesaro is US champion, Daniel Bryan is the tag team champions and even Heath Slater's job squad get TV time.

Aiii

So not worth it
Vince can't keep popping up every time there's reason for concern. He's still relying on fans' association with the Attitude era instead of building up current talent.

Once again, I disagree, they are building up Cesaro, Sandow, Ryback, their tag division and giving the divas more exposure (3-5min matches and a storyline). They are really trying to build new guys now and they deserve their credit for that.

Thing is it won't happen overnight, but give them till WM29.

Will give it a watch tomorrow. Had no idea he had been in a deathmatch. Not sure how I feel about that.

He was a huge fan of the Japanese hardcore feds in the 90's so it was a dream of his to do a couple death matches. There are a couple of light tubes but nothing super horrible. It's as safe of a death match as I've ever seen.

edit.

Show of hands who else has a man crush on UMB?

754864149_YDr6v-M-1.jpg

He was a huge fan of the Japanese hardcore feds in the 90's so it was a dream of his to do a couple death matches. There are a couple of light tubes but nothing super horrible. It's as safe of a death match as I've ever seen.

edit.

Show of hands who else has a man crush on UMB?

754864149_YDr6v-M-1.jpg

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

Kota Ibushi is the real man crush of WrestleGAF.

rvd2kewl

Booker T is going to be at Comic-Con. What should I say to him if I meet him?

I met him at the Chicago Comic Con in August. At the time you could get his book, he'd sign it, and you could take a photo with him for one $30 price. That's what I chose to do and let my sister get the picture with him because he's one of the few guys in the company that she hasn't met at a signing the last few years.

Was super cool. He took time out to talk to everyone and was telling them to tweet him your thoughts on the book after you read it.

Just make sure you shake his hand.

LOL, I did but I do with everyone I meet at the shows. Didn't even think about the Young Bucks incident until just now.

Aiii

So not worth it
WWE Champion CM Punk continued to play up his ongoing feud with “Stone Cold” Steve Austin on Raw Monday by once again slamming the legendary wrestler. The Straight Edge Superstar proclaimed that unlike Austin, he didn’t get to the top by doing things the easy way and beating up an old man in Vince McMahon. The WWE Hall of Famer issued a one-minute video stating that he’s not going to let Punk’s comments slide and that he will respond in greater detail soon.

“Hey, it’s Stone Cold Steve Austin, I’m coming to you from Mexico where I’m out here working on Redneck Island and I heard through word on the street that CM Punk has been running down Stone Cold Steve Austin on Monday Night Raw for the past two weeks. I heard that you’ve been running me down. I didn’t see the show, so I haven’t heard or seen the promos. But I’ll get on YouTube, I’ll watch ‘em, I’ll respond accordingly on my website, BrokenSkullRanch.com. Or hell, if anybody up there in that organization, including you, got any guts or class you’ll send me the damn promos so I can respond accordingly. But you ain’t going to talk trash about me and I’m just going to let it slide,” said Austin.

“You call yourself the best in the world, you’re a damn joke and I ain’t going to get carried away here because I haven’t seen the promos, I just know that the words you had to say weren’t flattering. This is Stone Cold Steve Austin. You are looking, you are listening, to the best in the world and that’s all I got to say about that.”

I think Austin vs. punk may happen at WM29 after all with the way they've been hyping it lately. Maybe the recent knee surgery was so he could have the match in April.

Kaladin

I think Austin vs. punk may happen at WM29 after all with the way they've been hyping it lately. Maybe the recent knee surgery was so he could have the match in April.

If they do it this year, I think it pretty much seals the deal for me that Undertaker won't be at WM29. They do three main event matches. This year it was Punk vs Jericho, Taker vs Triple H & Cena vs Rock. Next year it would be Austin vs Punk, Rock vs Cena II, Lesnar vs Triple H? and Taker will be off the show.

rvd2kewl

Can't decide if I should get a L or XL for the new Punk shirt.

I always go with XL even though a large would work. I don't mind it being loose and it's not as big of a deal then if it shrinks a bit when it's washed.

Don't know why I thought this, but I wonder what size Punk wears?

Probably a medium or a large. My sister caught Cena's shirt and it's a 2XL. Punk's significantly smaller.

Izick

Punk wears a medium? No way in hell....I mean I believe you, but that's absolutely crazy. Maybe he's smaller in person than I thought.

Punk wears a medium? No way in hell....I mean I believe you, but that's absolutely crazy. Maybe he's smaller in person than I thought.

Hmm... I'm 6'5 and 200ish pounds and I wear a large, but I can put a medium on, it'd just be really snug. Punk is a little shorter and much more muscular than I am so if he wants to show his physique better I can see him wearing a medium.

Izick

I don't either, it just caught me by surprise. I guess if you want to do that then the trick is keeping the shirt's length intact I suppose more than anything. I guess that doesn't matter much since he wears a new one every week.

Izick

I wear large because I like the snug fit and it makes me feel like a boss.

Go large.

slim, snug fit > *

6'2, 227 lbs

I look damn good in a large, but judging from the real-pic thread you probably look like a baller in a large. Only thing I'd worry about, especially in you're case as you're an inch or so taller, is the shirt's length.

Go with the large. I stopped buying XLs one day and haven't looked back.

Yeah, you guys convinced me.

I wonder if I order it now, when I'll get it? By Friday?

Austin/Punk would be glorious. There's a small chance WM30 won't be at MSG, so i hope they put all their eggs in the basket for this year. 80k+ NY crowd, shitty cold weather...Getting pumped just thinking about it!

Feud of the Week for October 1-7th: The Freebirds vs the Von Erich Clan, by Sunflower

Feud of the Week for October 9th - 15th: Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada

If there's one feud that defined Japanese puroresu throughout the 90's, it was the Misawa vs Kawada feud. Both guys were on their way to the top in the late 80's, and they soon found themselves teaming together against some of the top names in All Japan. The feud of the day was between Genichiro Tenryu and Jumbo Tsuruta, but after Tenryu finally overcame Jumbo to win the Triple Crown, he quit AJPW to form the short-lived SWS promotion (which had inter-promotional ties to WWF). Jumbo was the top guy in the company and needed someone to feud with. Up stepped his student Tiger Mask II, who unmasked, revealed himself to be Mitsuharu Misawa and formed a faction named 'The Over Generation Army'. Picking his tag partner Toshiaki Kawada and rising star Kenta Kobashi to be his stable-mates, Misawa's faction waged war against Jumbo throughout 1990 and Misawa scored a huge singles victory over Jumbo, firmly cementing him as one of the top talents in All Japan. Meanwhile, he continued to team with Kawada and the two found tag success in the annual Real World Tag League, winning the titles in 1991.

However, in 1992 a certain animosity began to grow between the tag partners when Misawa achieved the top goal in All Japan by winning the Triple Crown, defeating the legendary Stan Hansen for the championship. The stage was set for another Jumbo vs Misawa confrontation, albeit now with the student on top. But Jumbo's health problems and subsequent retirement in 1993 changed all that. All Japan again needed someone for the top guy to feud with, and they found the perfect opponent in Toshiaki Kawada. Smaller in stature than Misawa, Kawada had to claw and fight his way to success, while Misawa had seemed destined for success from day 1. While Misawa was rightly loved by the fans, Kawada was the natural face of the feud, a perennial underdog who tried so desperately to defeat his former partner and friend on so many occasions, only to fall short time and time again. After their first singles match in 1992, it became apparent that this feud was something special, and indeed, almost every time they encountered one another over the next 13 years, it was very special indeed.

But despite all the changes made to All Japan's well laid plans somewhat forcing their hand, Misawa vs Kawada is often cited as a perfect example of long-term booking, when in reality all the pieces just fell perfectly into place. The result was an amazing, career-spanning feud that would define both men's careers and provide the fans with one top tier match after another. Below, are a few of my favourite Misawa vs Kawada encounters;

Mistsuharu Misawa (c) vs Toshiaki Kawada - (AJPW 10/21/92)

Their first singles encounter. They were still teaming together at this point, and although battered and beaten, Kawada's pride prevents him from staying down.

Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada - (AJPW 03/27/93)

Early in 1993 Misawa & Kawada lost the tag titles to Terry Gordy & Steve Williams. It would be the last time they held tag team gold, and one of the last times they teamed. This is their first singles match since then, and while things aren't entirely acrimonious as of yet, the tension is starting to build.

Mitsuharu Misawa (c) vs Toshiaki Kawada - (AJPW 07/29/93)

Since their last meeting, Kawada has again become a tag champion, this time with Akira Taue and Misawa and his partner Kenta Kobashi failed to dethrone the new champions. But Misawa is still Triple Crown champion, and it isn't long before Kawada steps up to challenge him. For the first time, the hate between the former tag partners is palpable.

Mitsuharu Misawa (c) vs Toshiaki Kawada - (AJPW 06/03/94)

This is THE match. Simply, one of the greatest matches of all time. Storytelling, psychology, hard-hitting, edge of your seat action. I can't overstate how MUCH I love this match.

Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi (c) vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue - (AJPW 06/09/95)

Much like the previous match is one of my favourite singles matches of all time, this epic match right here just might be my favourite tag match of all time. It's seriously amazing. One note; Kawada broke Misawa's orbital bone just two months before during the Champion Carnival. Here, I cringe everytime Kawada kicks him in the face.

Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue - (AJPW 12/06/96)

Another fantastic tag match here, as Misawa teams with young Jun Akiyama to take on the Holy Demon Army in the Real World Tag League.

Mitsuharu Misawa (c) vs Toshiaki Kawada - (AJPW 06/06/97)

Kawada pinned both Misawa & Kobashi in the Champion Carnival finals, earning him a shot at Misawa's Triple Crown championship. But with his first singles victory against Misawa under his belt, can Kawada pull out all the stops when it counts?

Mitsuharu Misawa (c) vs Toshiaki Kawada - (AJPW 05/01/98)

Six years after their first singles encounter, we come full circle as Kawada has his best chance yet to realise his dream and defeat Misawa for the grandest prize in All Japan.

Izick

Guys, convince me not to buy the CM Punk "Best in the World" Blu-Ray/Best in the World shirt combo in addition to the new GTS shirt as well so I can save 16$ from a coupon.

Kyoufu

Guys, convince me not to buy the CM Punk "Best in the World" Blu-Ray/Best in the World shirt combo in addition to the new GTS shirt as well so I can save 16$ from a coupon.

I have the Blu Ray and it's awesome. Wish the shirt came with it :(

Top Bottom