• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Kaladin

Big news for Wrestlemania weekend, probably even bigger than Brock Lesnar:

Combat Zone Wrestling will be bringing their biggest match attraction, The Cage of Death, to their live event at Wrestlecon over Wrestlemania weekend. It will be the first time that the COD, held annually by the promotion, is held outside that event.

CZW is also working on bringing in a lot of international names from promotions they work with - Big Japan, WXW in Germany and Fight Club Pro in the UK - in for Wrestlecon in order to have some unique attractions for the event as well as showcase the CZW product to fans who are usually not exposed to it.

Cage of Death at Mania? Can this weekend get any bigger?

tm24

Man, 2 CoD in 5 months. Kind of crazy. Whatever, it will be better than nexts month CoD. Seriously, Matt Tremont vs DJ Hyde will be gif worthy based on how bad it will be

Kaladin

Man, 2 CoD in 5 months. Kind of crazy. Whatever, it will be better than nexts month CoD. Seriously, Matt Tremont vs DJ Hyde will be gif worthy based on how bad it will be

That match will be horribad....but we'll watch it because it is Cage of Death.

I suspect the one at Mania will be one of the big multi-man matches.

"CZW is also working on bringing in a lot of international names from promotions they work with - Big Japan, WXW in Germany and Fight Club Pro in the UK - in for Wrestlecon in order to have some unique attractions for the event as well as showcase the CZW product to fans who are usually not exposed to it."

Cage of Death, plus BJW & wXw guys? Sold.

I'm interested to see how the schedule shapes up for Mania weekend. So many damn indie shows, hopefully things won't clash too badly.

tm24

That match will be horribad....but we'll watch it because it is Cage of Death.

I suspect the one at Mania will be one of the big multi-man matches.

Bootaaay, you and I need to start a blog where we review and gif awful wrestling like CoD and all that deathmatch wrestling

Also, i would love Team CZW vs BjW

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Working on a Jericho vs Chavo w/pepe video and I want to ask you all the question:

Who made the most out of a shit gimmick?

Kaladin

...I know what kind of answer that is. :p Kane had a really good one!

Kane has got the most mileage out of a gimmick that should have died years and years ago when Undertaker was still full time and a major star. I don't think anyone expected the Kane gimmick to go 15 years without being altered.

Bootaaay, you and I need to start a blog where we review and gif awful wrestling like CoD and all that deathmatch wrestling

Also, i would love Team CZW vs BjW

They'll probably have the Triangle of Ultraviolence 3-way match. I'd like to see Axel 'Axeman' Tischer vs Drake Younger vs Kankuro Hoshino. Also, hopefully BJW bring along the Strong Style title - a Yoshihito Sasaki vs Sami Callihan rematch would be awesome.

And I agree, there needs to be a blog to pay tribute to all the dumb, crazy and downright idiotic things that happen in deathmatch wrestling! I was watching Japanese Abby vs Drake Younger a few days ago, and after Drake stuck a syringe through Abby's cheek I didn't think it could get any worse; until Abby sticks Drake right in the fucking neck with the syringe. Ugh.

tm24

I don't know whether i hate or love Drake Younger. He really is the most conflicting wrestler I have ever seen because he can clearly wrestle, but he's up there in terms of stupid deathmatch spots

Kaladin

Speaking of Drake Younger. I watched the first two matches of 2012 BOLA last night and Drake Younger vs Roderick Strong was one of them. Simply amazing, stiff match with a mix of hard hitting strong style and the most rule bending they could allow in BOLA to get some hardcore w/ chairs in the mix. I'll be watching the rest of night 1 tonight I think.

I don't know whether i hate or love Drake Younger. He really is the most conflicting wrestler I have ever seen because he can clearly wrestle, but he's up there in terms of stupid deathmatch spots

IMO, Drake Younger is the best pure wrestler of the regular death match guys.

tm24

Speaking of Drake Younger. I watched the first two matches of 2012 BOLA last night and Drake Younger vs Roderick Strong was one of them. Simply amazing, stiff match with a mix of hard hitting strong style and the most rule bending they could allow in BOLA to get some hardcore w/ chairs in the mix. I'll be watching the rest of night 1 tonight I think.

Oh man, if you loved that, you need to track down Super Dragon vs Necro Butcher from BOLA 2008 i think? It became a no dq match and shit gets crazy

Man, I wish my copy of BOLA would hurry up and get here :(

Oh well, got a new AAW show from SmartMark to watch while I wait; ACH vs Shane Hollister, Sami Callihan & BJ Whimter vs Davey Richards & Kyle O'Reilly and Silas Young vs Michael Elgin in an I Quit match!

tm24

AAW is slowly creeping up as the next big indy. The death of IWA:MS did produce one good thing, and that was let AAW become the main midwest promotion. I think they have a Elgin/Callihan match coming up soon

I read that first statement and thought you were talking about there being two Call of Duty games being released within 5 months. I was like, WTF? When did that happen lol.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Kane has got the most mileage out of a gimmick that should have died years and years ago when Undertaker was still full time and a major star. I don't think anyone expected the Kane gimmick to go 15 years without being altered.
The Kane gimmick was supposed to end at the first Inferno match. At the time, they were just creating characters for the Undertaker to face (remember Executioner?), and Kane was supposed to be the same thing. Due to the success of the character, however, they kept it going.

I've been neglecting WrassleGAF for various reasons that are mostly noble, but I bring a review of WWE Main Event, if you didn't catch it Wednesday night:

It was like 40 minutes of Big Slow and Randy Boreton with filler montages and Kofi vs. McGillicutty (whose Saturday Night Slam match with Mysterio put the CUT in his name)

And then Kofi got to show off his lack of a personality before he jobs to Miz next week.

The End

AAW is slowly creeping up as the next big indy. The death of IWA:MS did produce one good thing, and that was let AAW become the main midwest promotion. I think they have a Elgin/Callihan match coming up soon

I agree - they've got a lot of guys on the roster like Silas Young, Shane Hollister, the Irish Airborne, Zero Gravity, etc, who are really underrated on the whole, and I personally think they've been putting on great shows for the past few years or so. I first checked out AAW when Tyler Black joined ROH, as I heard they were his home promotion, and I was really quite impressed - he was having some great matches with Silas, Jacobs & Jerry Lynn at the time.

Also, Elgin vs Callihan has awesome written all over it.

tm24

I read that first statement and thought you were talking about there being two Call of Duty games being released within 5 months. I was like, WTF? When did that happen lol.

WEll, i think 2 Call of Duty games are being released in the same month this year. I mean, one is Declassified for the Vita, so it really doesn't count, but still

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've been neglecting WrassleGAF for various reasons that are mostly noble, but I bring a review of WWE Main Event, if you didn't catch it Wednesday night:

It was like 40 minutes of Big Slow and Randy Boreton with filler montages and Kofi vs. McGillicutty (whose Saturday Night Slam match with Mysterio put the CUT in his name)

And then Kofi got to show off his lack of a personality before he jobs to Miz next week.

The End

:(

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah but it has NY NJ on the bottom.

And some building that's totally not the Empire State building.

GET YOUR OWN STATE JERSIANS

AND FOLEY IS OURS TOO

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I still fail to understand why anyone thought it would be a good idea to make a new Jersey. The first one wasn't something to be impressed by.

I love this botch so much

Yeah, it really is an amazing botch - he goes absolutely nowhere at all, zero forward momentum.

I must have seen Tyler in IWA:MS around that time, but I guess I never really paid attention until he was in ROH - I probably ignored him for all that stupid moshing he did before his matches, lol.

Kaladin

First place I saw Tyler Black was down in Florida with FIP. I saw him on a weekend where he was wrestling The Briscoes with Merek Brave as his tag team partner. This was back in the summer of 2007.

I think that weekend was his tryout for Ring of Honor actually since that was when ROH was using FIP as a developmental promotion.

tm24

Yeah, it really is an amazing botch - he goes absolutely nowhere at all, zero forward momentum.

I must have seen Tyler in IWA:MS around that time, but I guess I never really paid attention until he was in ROH - I probably ignored him for all that stupid moshing he did before his matches, lol.

I remember the match so vididly for the botch and for having one hell of a card. One of the few IWA:MS shows still in my collection

IWA-MS: We're no Joke (The most ironic title ever)

1. Brain Damage & Deranged vs. Team Underground
2. Vanessa Kraven & Daizee Haze vs. Mickie Knuckles & MsChif
3. 9 Man TLC Match: Marek Brave vs. Tyler Black vs. Trik Davis vs. Billy Roc vs. Dave Crist (Lotus) vs. Chuck Taylor vs. Ricochet vs. Jake Crist (Crazy J) vs. Darin Corbin
4. Sal, Vito & Brandon Thomaselli vs. Eddie Kingston, Larry Sweeney & Matt "formerly Spike Dudley" Hyson
5. Ruckus vs. Josh Abercrombie
6. Kevin Steen vs. Ian Rotten
7. Delirious vs. El Generico
8. Tank vs. Toby Klein
9. Low Ki vs. Necro Butcher
10. Milano Collection AT vs. Chris Hero

Also, DJ, was that the match where Marek kills himself again?

Kaladin

I remember the match so vididly for the botch and for having one hell of a card. One of the few IWA:MS shows still in my collection

IWA-MS: We're no Joke (The most ironic title ever)

1. Brain Damage & Deranged vs. Team Underground
2. Vanessa Kraven & Daizee Haze vs. Mickie Knuckles & MsChif
3. 9 Man TLC Match: Marek Brave vs. Tyler Black vs. Trik Davis vs. Billy Roc vs. Dave Crist (Lotus) vs. Chuck Taylor vs. Ricochet vs. Jake Crist (Crazy J) vs. Darin Corbin
4. Sal, Vito & Brandon Thomaselli vs. Eddie Kingston, Larry Sweeney & Matt "formerly Spike Dudley" Hyson
5. Ruckus vs. Josh Abercrombie
6. Kevin Steen vs. Ian Rotten
7. Delirious vs. El Generico
8. Tank vs. Toby Klein
9. Low Ki vs. Necro Butcher
10. Milano Collection AT vs. Chris Hero

Now that you bring it up, I think it was. Something about a rana spot that went bad or something like that.

I believe so - didn't he land super badly off the Doomsday Device?

And yeah, that IWA card was awesome - I'm always torn between Ki vs Necro and Joe vs Necro as my favourite Necro Butcher match ever.

Low Ki vs Necro Butcher; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9FyJk23CWs

Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsrcwCkkE-s

Oh, hell, special mention for this old favourite;

Lufisto vs Necro Butcher; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJh8oPHJLHw

Kaladin

The only thing I really remember about Merek Brave is that botch cost him his spot in FIP, and Tyler Black went on to become the star he became after that weekend.

Ah man, looks like Kensuke Sasaki is out of wrestling indefinitely :(

"As Kensuke Sasaki told the press today, the 46-year-old heavyweight and owner of Diamond Ring will undergo neck surgery in November.

Sasaki stated for the record that in 2008 he had to have surgery due to an acute herniated disc between the cervical vertebrae and sixth vertebrae. He had severe neck pain and increasingly felt a numbness in both arms. Sasaki discontinued treatment before four years, however, because he was busy at the time with the training of his students Katsuhiko Nakajima and Kento Miyahara. Looking back Sasaki called this a major error.

The winner of all three major heavyweight titles in Japan promised his fans a full recovery, but Sasaki said there is no time-frame for his return."

Hope he can return for at least one more match sometime in the future.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cheer up guys, welcome to what I've grabbed for WCW Thunder 8-13-98:

Disco Inferno and Alex Wright vs those shitbags Public Enemy, and a cool Faces of Fear runin:
http://youtu.be/Q4y5pJUPvDE

A Bret Hart promo:
http://youtu.be/P8w8b__iKp8

Scott Hall vs Konnan. Ugh.
http://youtu.be/o1ctageUYLk

A Scott Hall promo beforehand:
http://youtu.be/tjzYFgo31fY

Raven vs.....Horace :|
http://youtu.be/dPDZNL1iqrE

Jericho vs Chavo w/Pepe:
http://youtu.be/-69ANiR063M

There's more coming as soon as I finish them.

Kaladin

http://youtu.be/XxqRtogohLg

Kevin Steen makes his demands of Ring of Honor.

Edit: Yeah, they're definitely going off the Punk angle....Steen's demands are probably not going to happen and Glory By Honor will be interesting.

I wonder if someone at Ring of Honor saw that they were blowing their load too soon and wanted to push Elgin vs Steen back to Final Battle, and make it Champion vs Champion or something like that.

somedevil

http://youtu.be/XxqRtogohLg

Kevin Steen makes his demands of Ring of Honor.

Edit: Yeah, they're definitely going off the Punk angle....Steen's demands are probably not going to happen and Glory By Honor will be interesting.

I wonder if someone at Ring of Honor saw that they were blowing their load too soon and wanted to push Elgin vs Steen back to Final Battle, and make it Champion vs Champion or something like that.

Man everyone is ripping off Punk these days. Aries and Hardy are doing the no respect angle now too.

How long have Indy promotions been taking advantage of Wrestlemania weekend?

It started back when WWE started making WrestleMania a week-long thing in the host city. They knew wrestling fans would be there all weekend so they started doing it. I'd probably say 2005 or 2006. Hell, I remember TNA doing it a few times.

Kaladin

How long have Indy promotions been taking advantage of Wrestlemania weekend?

I want to say since Ring of Honor did the first Supercard of Honor in 2006 where they had the first Dragon Gate Six Man that gained a five star rating, but I may be wrong.

Bowser

NRoFP.jpg

My first exposure to Black was in IWA:MS, specifically the 9 way ladder match that is infamous for Marek Brave's botched SSP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lJeEqC-7sY

I love this botch so much

Why don't wrestlers practice more? It seems like once they turn "pro" they basically stop learning the techniques and refining them until it's second nature. If you're going to be doing a SSP you should be hitting it properly 99/100 times before thinking about doing it live. I mean, you look at something like Cirque Du Soleil, those gymnasts basically go over their routines hundreds of times before a show goes live and then once it does they still use the days to practice.

I know it's not exactly the same business, but Jesus fuck at some botches.

Top Bottom