• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
jkoIWMu57tBwP.jpg

Ted DiBiase was nowhere to be seen but I was lucky enough to see this guy!

Yes someone was talking to him.

Bryan isn't a vegan anymore?

And hopefully TNA can deliver a good show, they've been declining lately thanks to Claire Lynch, Aces and 8, marginalizing Aries and not properly building up Roode/Storm.

Alucard

Banned
steen.png

Oh, snap! ROH! ROH! ROH! And Elgin needs to stay for as long as possible. For Delirious' first time booking, sounds like he got things off to a good start. Hope he keeps it up.

Bound for Glory looks like a good card. Hope TNA has an awesome PPV so that people have another good option to go for wrestling.

Alucard

Banned
Ryback ripped Goldberg in the latest WWE Magazine.

"I just think people are misinformed," said Ryback in an interview addressing comparisons between their wrestling personas. "People see a big guy with a shaved head who's intense, and they draw those comparisons. I will say this: Goldberg did this for the money. He was never a fan of wrestling. I do this because I have a passion for it, and that's the biggest difference between Goldberg and me. I'm not here to make five million dollars and then walk away. I'm here for life. And, I firmly believe that I'm much better than he was in the ring. He was great, and I was a fan of his when I was younger. But, I feel I'm a better athlete and wrestler than Goldberg ever was, and people are going to see that over time."

Considering whenever Punk name drops Austin we like to believe that it's all part of a WM match buildup then it's only fair that we now prepare ourselves for Goldberg/Ryback at Wrestlemania!

ecurbj

"I just think people are misinformed," said Ryback in an interview addressing comparisons between their wrestling personas. "People see a big guy with a shaved head who's intense, and they draw those comparisons. I will say this: Goldberg did this for the money. He was never a fan of wrestling. I do this because I have a passion for it, and that's the biggest difference between Goldberg and me. I'm not here to make five million dollars and then walk away. I'm here for life. And, I firmly believe that I'm much better than he was in the ring. He was great, and I was a fan of his when I was younger. But, I feel I'm a better athlete and wrestler than Goldberg ever was, and people are going to see that over time."

Well doesn't he have some big cojones. This might be a Wrestlemania match in the making if you ask me. Goldberg get your self together buddy.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

GOLDBERG X RYBACK

WM XXX

THE MOON

TICKETS ON SALE NOW

Alucard

Banned
Just watched Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect at Summerslam 1991 when Bret won the Intercontinental title. A few things...

-they made a huge deal about Bret kicking out of the perfect plex..."NO ONE HAS EVER KICKED OUT!" And then Perfect selling disbelief was just amazing.
-after Bret won, they had a guy with a mic run to Bret's parents for an in-the-moment interview. "AN EMOTIONAL SCENE! HERE COMES BRET!"
-the announcing was fantastic; they focused on the match, sold both guys, and sounded emotionally invested. Bobby the Brain was so good.
-the moves! Crucifixes, small packages, suplexes, atomic drops...where have some of these moves gone?

Man, the WWE used to be so much better. :( Sad going back and realizing how far they've fallen from the glory days.

Alucard

Banned
So we all know Bully is going to turn on Sting and be revealed as the guy behind A&8, right?

Bigger swerve...STING IS PART OF THE GROUP. Wonder if he likes this storyline at all, or TNA's creative direction.

Asked specifically about being "kidnapped" with Hulk Hogan a few episodes ago, Sting said, "Yeah...I do have a lot to say about that but, you know, I just need to play it safe for right now. I can say that we were real close to needing S.A.G. cards, you know? (laughs) We need to be with the guild here if we keep going like this."

Sting also sounded unsold on the pay-off to the Aces & Eights angle, but noted he's not involved in the Creative process, so he's not sure what to expect.

Asked if TNA fans will be satisfied with the conclusion, Sting said, "That is always a concern and I've been on both sides of the fence when there's been a big build-up happening and there was not a payoff and there's nothing worse, believe me. But, man, when the payoff is there and delivery is made, it's awesome. Only time will tell. My hands have not really been around this one like in the past because it's not about me. I just want to try to make it as good as I possibly can."

Sting also sounded mixed on TNA's overall Creative direction. "I'm glad that the storylines are what they are now...eh, I don't agree with everything happening, but, again, whatever is put before me, I will always just try to enhance or tweak or make changes that I think will make it better for everybody," Sting said. "And I'm not just talking about for myself, I'm talking about for everybody."

One of those "everybodies" is Magnus, who Sting says he would like to work with. "Magnus is somebody who I'm watching and going, 'Man, there's definitely that could be done with him.' He just needs to find his niche. There are few others that I'm interested in working with and I want to do that," Sting said.

How much time Sting has left to work with a guy like Magnus remained To Be Determined every year. Sting addressed how much longer he'll wrestle, saying, "That question comes (up) about once a year and its a legitimate question. Every year I think, 'How long am I going to do this?' And it's one of those play it by ear and see what happens kind of things."

from pwtorch.com.

Alucard

Banned
I hope not

I want it to be Jarrett that is the leader of the group.

You know what would be awesome? Both Aces and Eights guys come into the ring wearing their black attire and wear it for the entire match. One of the guys is MASSIVE. "WHO COULD IT BE?" Then...the massive guy grabs Sting and picks him up into a suplex position...he holds him up...and up...the announcers start figuring it out..."wait a minute...I've seen this move before...I'VE SEEN THIS MOVE BEFORE!" And then the massive guy drops Sting in jackhammer style for the pin and the win. "IT CAN ONLY BE ONE MAN!" And then he gets up, takes his mask off..."GOLDBERG! BILL GOLDBERG IS BACK!"

How fucking amazing would that be?

/fantasy booking

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
It's not Bully
It's not Sting
It's not Jay Lethal
It's not Kenny King

It's D-VON

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I could totally see D-Von's not resigning as being a swerve.

D-Von's name is still being chanted at tv for some reason.

Hogan said this week that he was upset TNA couldn't hold on to D-Von and give him what he deserved. Pretty odd to say that.

D-Von hasn't been seen anywhere like ROH or ugh CZW

D-Von was trying to get back into WWE but without his partner, nobody would care.

Bully losing the BFG series and losing to a gimped Jeff twice in a week then not placing him in the title match left Bully free to get swerved.

D-Von didn't really have a gimmick anymore. Just floating in nothingness while being the TV champ.

Razorskin

----- ------

Ryback couln't lift Tensai, Goldberg lifted The Big Show.

Advantage Goldberg.

I really hope he doesn't wrestle at HIAC. I mean, I don't like the guy as a wrestler/personality, but I don't want to see him get hurt or burned later on.

His arm/elbow looked pretty bad during the session. And it looks like it's an accelerated deal, as the practice's owner, who I NEVER see work with the patients too much was out there the whole time working with him, massaging his arm, stretching it, giving advice, etc.

My sessions are usually 45-60 minutes. Cena had to have been there for 2 hours plus.

Interestingly, he and the physical therapist got into a discussion about the number of guys hurt and needing surgery/time off. These guys are definitely getting worked like mules (though they're being compensated well, without benefits).

I want to say I heard him say he was going to be there three times this week.

Just watched Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect at Summerslam 1991 when Bret won the Intercontinental title. A few things...

-they made a huge deal about Bret kicking out of the perfect plex..."NO ONE HAS EVER KICKED OUT!" And then Perfect selling disbelief was just amazing.
-after Bret won, they had a guy with a mic run to Bret's parents for an in-the-moment interview. "AN EMOTIONAL SCENE! HERE COMES BRET!"
-the announcing was fantastic; they focused on the match, sold both guys, and sounded emotionally invested. Bobby the Brain was so good.
-the moves! Crucifixes, small packages, suplexes, atomic drops...where have some of these moves gone?

Man, the WWE used to be so much better. :( Sad going back and realizing how far they've fallen from the glory days.

That was the first SummerSlam I ever watched on PPV. You look at that match and were the promos/program great leading into it? Probably not, but back then it was either about the spectacle or the wrestling. Now, it's just spectacle unless you're getting booked like the 80s with Jim Cornette.

Mr Perfect was a great intercontinental champion. That title meant something back then. They usually put it on their best worker (with the exception of Honky Tonk and Warrior).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6m036_football-with-mr-perfect-promo_sport

Alucard

Banned
That was the first SummerSlam I ever watched on PPV. You look at that match and were the promos/program great leading into it? Probably not, but back then it was either about the spectacle or the wrestling. Now, it's just spectacle unless you're getting booked like the 80s with Jim Cornette.

Mr Perfect was a great intercontinental champion. That title meant something back then. They usually put it on their best worker (with the exception of Honky Tonk and Warrior).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6m036_football-with-mr-perfect-promo_sport

If the wrestling is great and you sense that both guys really want to upstage and just plain beat the other guy, that creates the spectacle.

I'm sure the Internet has changed things. While it has been great for uniting intelligent wrestling fans, it has also exposed loads of jaded fans who aren't impressed by anything, fans who just wait for botches (which happened all the time back in the day too), and fans who just want to be in on the conversation. In many ways, the Internet has damaged pro wrestling.

If the wrestling is great and you sense that both guys really want to upstage and just plain beat the other guy, that creates the spectacle.

I think this is the case for ROH, New Japan Pro Wrestling and to a lesser extent TNA.

Matches just seem to fall by the wayside in the WWE, the story seems to be the priority. And with the number of hours, number of superstars, illogical booking, matches just don't have the "specialness" they once did.

Brett vs. Perfect was a big deal. Brett kicking out of the Perfect Plex was a big deal.

Brett vs. Shawn was a big deal. If it was today, Brett would've wrestled Shawn two dozen times and the conclusion to the matches would of had no consequence.

Anyways, changing gears. I thought the Punk Documentary was good. It didn't really focus on angles, more on his growing up and development in the wrestling industry.

I really do hate his Macho Man elbow drop. It just looks terrible and lazy. He doesn't jump high enough or drive the elbow into the person's chest.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think this is the case for ROH, New Japan Pro Wrestling and to a lesser extent TNA.

Matches just seem to fall by the wayside in the WWE, the story seems to be the priority. And with the number of hours, number of superstars, illogical booking, matches just don't have the "specialness" they once did.

Brett vs. Perfect was a big deal. Brett kicking out of the Perfect Plex was a big deal.

Brett vs. Shawn was a big deal. If it was today, Brett would've wrestled Shawn two dozen times and the conclusion to the matches would of had no consequence.

Anyways, changing gears. I thought the Punk Documentary was good. It didn't really focus on angles, more on his growing up and development in the wrestling industry.

I really do hate his Macho Man elbow drop. It just looks terrible and lazy. He doesn't jump high enough or drive the elbow into the person's chest.
It's not necessarily because of how the WWE presents the matches. The wrestlers just aren't as good as the guys you're describing. It's as simple as that, really. You can't talk about guys like Hart, Michaels, Hennig, and wonder why things aren't as good as they used to be. Those guys spent years perfecting their craft in the independent scene before they got to the WWE. These days, you mostly just spend some time in FCW, then get called up. Jericho mentioned recently how when he worked with Ziggler, Ziggler still didn't know how to properly call and do spots, but that's just due to inexperience. Of course, it would help tremendously if the WWE called matches like real wrestling encounters, instead of just entertainment matches, but they truthfully haven't really done that since 1998.

Jezbollah

Also, there were only three championships back then - so title matches and especially changes were a much bigger deal back then.

It also helped that the rest of Summerslam 91 was very well booked and that MSG crowd also added to the atmosphere.

It's not necessarily because of how the WWE presents the matches. The wrestlers just aren't as good as the guys you're describing. It's as simple as that, really. You can't talk about guys like Hart, Michaels, Hennig, and wonder why things aren't as good as they used to be. Those guys spent years perfecting their craft in the independent scene before they got to the WWE. These days, you mostly just spend some time in FCW, then get called up. Jericho mentioned recently how when he worked with Ziggler, Ziggler still didn't know how to properly call and do spots, but that's just due to inexperience. Of course, it would help tremendously if the WWE called matches like real wrestling encounters, instead of just entertainment matches, but they truthfully haven't really done that since 1998.

But are we talking about ALL wrestlers in general or the body builder/workers in the WWE?

Punk, Danielson, Jericho, , Joe, AJ Styles, Angle and a few others are great workers. And they obviously have a lot of independent experience. The ROH guys can't really get away with being poor workers, since there organization is based on quality ring work.

And you're right comparing superstars to Hart, Henning, Flair, Michaels, Rude, O. Hart, etc isn't fair.

And it probably isn't fair to compare superstars to Austin, Rock, Hogan, Sting (not counting TNA).

It's a weird time we live in, mainstream suffers probably because of the lack of competition and shrinking scene.

Edit: And Dan, you're right about the titles. Again, today, they're a meaningless prop for a storyline. Besides, Punk and Bobby Roode, no one really has sold the significance of the world title.

When Miz won it, it was like Gollum got his ring, but we didn't see the perks of it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
But are we talking about ALL wrestlers in general or the body builder/workers in the WWE?

Punk, Danielson, Jericho, , Joe, AJ Styles, Angle and a few others are great workers. And they obviously have a lot of independent experience. The ROH guys can't really get away with being poor workers, since there organization is based on quality ring work.

And you're right comparing superstars to Hart, Henning, Flair, Michaels, Rude, O. Hart, etc isn't fair.

And it probably isn't fair to compare superstars to Austin, Rock, Hogan, Sting (not counting TNA).

It's a weird time we live in, mainstream suffers probably because of the lack of competition and shrinking scene.

Edit: And Dan, you're right about the titles. Again, today, they're a meaningless prop for a storyline. Besides, Punk and Bobby Roode, no one really has sold the significance of the world title.

When Miz won it, it was like Gollum got his ring, but we didn't see the perks of it.
And only two of the guys you mentioned are on the WWE main roster. Out of the old guard, there's only Kane (yeah, there's Show & Henry, but they were never good wrestlers). Everyone else was trained in the WWE style, and that's it. It also doesn't help that guys never know what program they're in. In the same interview, Jericho mentioned how they told him at the last minute that he would be facing Ziggler, and when he asked what the storyline was, they just said, "don't worry, we'll figure it out next week." He had to insist on coming up with something. Even his last match with Ziggler, they came up with the MITB or leave WWE stipulation 10 minutes before the show. Back in the day, guys would know a while in advance who they would be facing, and they would spend weeks practicing spots. Macho & Steamboat (I mean, "Harley Race") spent a month rehearsing their match on their own before WM3. They don't give guys the opportunity to do that anymore. You can't rehearse stuff with a guy if you don't know who you're going to be facing until 10 minutes before the show.

Carnby

I watched Behind The Walls of Chris Jericho last night. There was a quick interview with Goldberg. I never realized until now, juat how much Goldberg's voice sounds like Brian Posehn. lol

WWE need to realise the fact that they're directly responsible for the state of the talent pool from which they draw their workers, and change their style to suit. It used to be that big, athletic, prototypical-WWE guys would see wrestling as a viable career choice if their dreams of pro-sports didn't pan out, because there was good money being made by a lot of people all across the country, and they'd travel and improve and become good workers who had the advantage of fitting the larger-than-life mold WWE seeks. Now, it's a one-in-a-million chance of getting to where the good money is, so that the people who get into wrestling today are the people that love it, the people that are willing to devote all their free time to training and travelling to wrestle for little pay, people of all shapes and sizes. And when WWE do manaage to find that big, athletic college football player who wants to try his hand at pro-wrestling, it's for a shot at stardom and a huge pay cheque, not for a love of wrestling, and there's nowhere for him to learn his craft but FCW. So you have to look at the guys who are the best workers in the world, the guys who are travelling to promotions all across the country, and all across the world, honing their craft and learning the skills necessary to tell a story in-ring and captivate a crowd when storyline and booking fail outside of the ring, and change your promotion to suit their needs, rather than hoping that the next muscle-bound chump you sign to developmental has even an ounce of talent in-ring.

steen.png

Oh, snap! ROH! ROH! ROH! And Elgin needs to stay for as long as possible. For Delirious' first time booking, sounds like he got things off to a good start. Hope he keeps it up.

Bound for Glory looks like a good card. Hope TNA has an awesome PPV so that people have another good option to go for wrestling.

That's a cool image. What exactly happened? I'm very excited to be going to Final Batlle in December.

VerTiGo

Banned
BFG has a great card for tonight.

I still can't decided if whether or not Aries did actually shoot on Impact on Thursday. My better judgement says no he didn't and that's just TNA being TNA and swerving us.

I do expect Aries to win tonight. Hardy is just garbage.

That's a cool image. What exactly happened? I'm very excited to be going to Final Batlle in December.

Steen beat Elgin, then Kevin Kelly handed Steen a package that had been left for him in the back, and that package contained Generico's mask.

Should be a crazy match, as Generico hasn't been seen in ROH since Steen package piledrivered him through a table a few months back.

somedevil

BFG has a great card for tonight.

I still can't decided if whether or not Aries did actually shoot on Impact on Thursday. My better judgement says no he didn't and that's just TNA being TNA and swerving us.

I do expect Aries to win tonight. Hardy is just garbage.

It wasn't a shoot. It was them trying to capitalize/rip off the Punk angle.

Kaladin

After Steen won his match, Nigel was given a package by Paul Turner and Turner told Nigel that he was told to personally deliver the package to Steen if he won. When the crowd saw the package, they immediately knew what it was because they started chanting Ole and you see what happened next.

Fuck the Ryback.

Top Bottom