• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

strobogo

Banned
How many tickets did WWE sell when they ran Raw in the Georgia Dome? I know they did like 70K for WM, but just for Raw it couldn't have been even close to that. That Nitro had 40k at least, which is probably more than WWE ever had for Raw. But then again, by the last Nitro at the Georgia Dome had under 5k I believe.

Cagey

Banned
One comment re: Ryback vis-a-vis Goldberg.

They need to turn his big clothesline into the new Spear. It's his realest, rawest, highest impact, "HOLY SHIT THAT GUY IS DEAD" move. Given that's the gimmick they're going for, a lack of impact moves hurts. Let him wait and set the opponent up and then brutalize said opponent with the clothesline. After that, the comedy finisher won't look so horrible because then it's turned into a two-part finisher of sorts, and it's simply part two.

krae_man

How many tickets did WWE sell when they ran Raw in the Georgia Dome? I know they did like 70K for WM, but just for Raw it couldn't have been even close to that. That Nitro had 40k at least, which is probably more than WWE ever had for Raw. But then again, by the last Nitro at the Georgia Dome had under 5k I believe.

WWE did a Raw at Skydome. Not sure what the attendance number was however.

Edit: Found it:

2/08/99 WWE RAW is WAR Toronto, Canada SkyDome 41,432

Kyoufu

How did WCW fall so badly?

Did Austin and Tyson do that much damage?

krae_man

I wonder if I can piss Kofi off with this:

ImI82.png

Only ones who would be worthwhile off the top of my head would be Christian and Tyson Kidd. But I can't see them properly pushing Kidd, unfortunately.

That match last week with Kidd was phenomenal, really hoping "Tyson Kidd does a match on Raw" just becomes a thing if they're still refusing to give him any real push towards a title.

Missed all of Raw except for the signing, anything worth seeking out?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How did WCW fall so badly?

Did Austin and Tyson do that much damage?

WCW was set to be taken over (fo reals) by Bischoff, but AOL fucked him on the deal. It was a shame - WCW was working on restructuring their talent and putting on a reasonable show, as well as lining up new wrestlers to inherit main event matches, and more.

2001 era WCW is a neat thing to watch, although admittedly a bad product at the time - but it was struggling to find its legs, until they were lost in the war.

Cagey

Banned
How?

They gave Nash booking powers, then this happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs2b9YwPXjA

Then this happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqztYLe7eM

Then Russo and Jeff Jarrett and Bishoff shenanigans ensued.

Nash's commentary on the fingerpoke of doom made the move sound much better than it's been remembered for. It set up the original nWo, again, as the heels with white-hot heat, and Goldberg, still over as fuck, had to go destroy them all to overcome this travesty to WCW's integrity.

Then Goldberg slices open his hand punching a limo window and has to sit out for almost a year.

Jamie OD

WCW was set to be taken over (fo reals) by Bischoff, but AOL fucked him on the deal. It was a shame - WCW was working on restructuring their talent and putting on a reasonable show, as well as lining up new wrestlers to inherit main event matches, and more.

2001 era WCW is a neat thing to watch, although admittedly a bad product at the time - but it was struggling to find its legs, until they were lost in the war.

With the way things went, I'm pretty sure WCW would have become almost exactly like TNA when it was launched. There is only around 14 months between WCW going defunct and TNA being created so would it really have been that different if WCW survived? I mean, if you switch all of the TNA brand names with the WCW brand names (Impact becomes Nitro for example) would it make much of a difference?

I didn't put the Invasion into account when I thought of this and anything more would just be fantasy booking.

RBH

WWE held a Raw in the Georgia Dome in 2000 or 2001 where the main event was Rock and Lita vs. HHH and Trish. Crowd looked pretty big, maybe around 35,000 or so.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
With the way things went, I'm pretty sure WCW would have become almost exactly like TNA when it was launched. There is only around 14 months between WCW going defunct and TNA being created so would it really have been that different if WCW survived? I mean, if you switch all of the TNA brand names with the WCW brand names (Impact becomes Nitro for example) would it make much of a difference?

I didn't put the Invasion into account when I thought of this and anything more would just be fantasy booking.

I agree completely though. TNA pretty much is where WCW was headed. It would have been a bit different but the premise was largely the same (imho)

Kaladin

577184_10151115330016443_1761693660_n.jpg

Is it just me or does Ryback look weird? I think he's trying to do The Rock's raised eyebrow but it looks like he's got a lazy eye.

strobogo

Banned
I can't remember if it was 1999 or 2000 when they had their last Georgia Dome show. 2000 would make more sense attendance wise, considering they were still drawing pretty big houses before Russo took over in Octoberish of 1999.

Apparently it was July of 1999 with 25k in attendance (though 19k paid), but that can't be right. I distinctly remember watching a show in a huge arena that looked like a Smackdown house show. Did WCW run any other giant arenas? WWF running shows there in 1999 and 2000 (and out drawing the prior two WCW shows there big a significant margin) was ballsy. Imagine WCW trying to run shows at MSG or various other New York/New Jersey buildings that were WWF strongholds for decades.

Penguin

Probably bought up and discussed already

And I know why they went with Ryback...

But they could have handled it better

For weeks, Foley, JR, Bret Hart and others have come out time and time again to tell Punk that he needs to face Cena in the Hell in The Cell to cement his legacy. That is the only true way he could be considered an all-time great...

So they book it.. that Cena is the one who opts out of the match... How does that make any sense?

Kyoufu

Probably bought up and discussed already

And I know why they went with Ryback...

But they could have handled it better

For weeks, Foley, JR, Bret Hart and others have come out time and time again to tell Punk that he needs to face Cena in the Hell in The Cell to cement his legacy. That is the only true way he could be considered an all-time great...

So they book it.. that Cena is the one who opts out of the match... How does that make any sense?

Vince is not a CM Punk guy but in all seriousness, he's not medically approved for the PPV. They have to delay that legacy cementing match.

Penguin

Vince is not a CM Punk guy but in all seriousness, he's not medically approved for the PPV. They have to delay that legacy cementing match.

Again, which I GET
And they could have done it dozens of different ways
But they went with Cena OPTing out of the match. Not Vince picking Ryback. Not Punk picking Ryback.. but Cena saying.. naw I'm good... let's give it to Ryback

Kyoufu

Again, which I GET
And they could have done it dozens of different ways
But they went with Cena OPTing out of the match. Not Vince picking Ryback. Not Punk picking Ryback.. but Cena saying.. naw I'm good... let's give it to Ryback

Yeah I feel you there.

Did you notice that Cena also said "Ryback, he doesn't look like he cares about the title... he just wants to kick some ass".

Wonder if they'll use that...

krae_man

I can't remember if it was 1999 or 2000 when they had their last Georgia Dome show. 2000 would make more sense attendance wise, considering they were still drawing pretty big houses before Russo took over in Octoberish of 1999.

Apparently it was July of 1999 with 25k in attendance (though 19k paid), but that can't be right. I distinctly remember watching a show in a huge arena that looked like a Smackdown house show. Did WCW run any other giant arenas? WWF running shows there in 1999 and 2000 (and out drawing the prior two WCW shows there big a significant margin) was ballsy. Imagine WCW trying to run shows at MSG or various other New York/New Jersey buildings that were WWF strongholds for decades.

WCW did Nitros in some very small venues. They did a Nitro in the Kitchener Auditorium which at the time was a 6000 seat hockey arena and they put the stage along the side of the arena instead of the end blocking off 1/2 the seats and they still couldn't fill the place even after papering it.

Yeah I feel you there.

Did you notice that Cena also said "Ryback, he doesn't look like he cares about the title... he just wants to kick some ass".

Wonder if they'll use that...

DQ on a Hell in a Cell? That's a terrible way to end your undefeated streak. So yeah it will probably happen.

strobogo

Banned
Holy shit, WCW ran a show at the Skydome in 1993. 3850 paid. The last wrestling show there was WM6, with 64-67k in attendance. And WCW drew under 4 thousand. I can only imagine how that looked and sounded.

For some reason WWE ran 3 or 4 house shows a year there in 1997, 1998, and 1999. I don't know why you'd run house shows in arenas that big. They all drew around 14k for each show, except for the Raw tapings which drew significantly more.

Or how about this:

WWF @ Pontiac, MI - Silverdome - May 29, 1988 (1,800) 90 thousand to 1800 in a year? Holy shit.

Also, there is this:

WCW @ Greensboro, NC - Coliseum - October 13, 1991 (430) It makes me lolz at the idea of that small of a crowd.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ryback looks weird in general. Look at the guy.

That's why Goldberg worked. He might not have been the best wrestler, but he had THE LOOK. He probably had the best 'wrestler body' to ever exist from a marketing standpoint. He looked like a badass. He looked like the guy at the bar who had his drink knocked over in the middle of the fight. He was tall but not too tall. He was buff, but he wasn't shredded. He looked like his workouts consisted of kicking cars and throwing people through windows.

Ryback just looks like a goober who eats a lot of meat and kind of looks like a hillbilly.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Mick Foley recently had an interview with ESPN.com about WWE 13, and he had something cool to say about Kane & DB.

Who would’ve thought Kane and Daniel Bryan would be the most entertaining part of every show?

Man, I know, and I’m so happy for them. Kane had been talking to me about how he’s been there since 1996 and he’s had a 16-year run and how he’s a bit banged up from years of his big, physical style. He told me that he needed to find a way to tweak the character a little bit, and when I saw him a few weeks ago I told him, “You are my hero.” He laughed and said, “No, I’ve become you!” Here’s a guy who realized he could no longer do the stuff he was known for back in the Attitude Era, so he brought some levity and laughs to the character. The anger management skit where he broke down his entire career was brilliant. I sent out a tweet right after I saw it saying, “This is why I love this stuff.” It brought me right back to some of the humor we loved to do back in the Attitude Era.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/2679/mick-foley-stars-in-virtual-attitude-era

Toki767

Ryback looks weird in general. Look at the guy.

That's why Goldberg worked. He might not have been the best wrestler, but he had THE LOOK. He probably had the best 'wrestler body' to ever exist from a marketing standpoint. He looked like a badass. He looked like the guy at the bar who had his drink knocked over in the middle of the fight. He was tall but not too tall. He was buff, but he wasn't shredded. He looked like his workouts consisted of kicking cars and throwing people through windows.

Ryback just looks like a goober who eats a lot of meat and kind of looks like a hillbilly.

That's probably why his NXT name, Skip Sheffield, fits him so much better.

Also, I just realized that all the season 1 NXT guys except for Michael Tarver are on the main roster with somewhat decent pushes, except for Justin Gabriel.

krae_man

Holy shit, WCW ran a show at the Skydome in 1993. 3850 paid. The last wrestling show there was WM6, with 64-67k in attendance. And WCW drew under 4 thousand. I can only imagine how that looked and sounded.

For some reason WWE ran 3 or 4 house shows a year there in 1997, 1998, and 1999. I don't know why you'd run house shows in arenas that big. They all drew around 14k for each show, except for the Raw tapings which drew significantly more.

Or how about this:

WWF @ Pontiac, MI - Silverdome - May 29, 1988 (1,800) 90 thousand to 1800 in a year? Holy shit.

Also, there is this:

WCW @ Greensboro, NC - Coliseum - October 13, 1991 (430) It makes me lolz at the idea of that small of a crowd.

That was before the Air Canada Center was built. Maple Leaf Gardens was a lot smaller then The ACC.

Punk finally dropping the title to some flavour of the month muscle bound roid monkey like Ryback kind of feels like it had been the plan all along.

Its like the circle of life in the WWE.

Sokantish

You know what feels like a bizzaro plan? Making Punk actually seem like he is at the top by beating some muscle bound freak that's undefeated. I'm sure they wouldn't let him win convincingly or maybe not even at all, so it doesn't really matter!

Kaladin

If CM Punk wins and holds onto the title into November the thread title will be:

November Wrasslin |OT| The Countdown to December 4th is ON

The Informer will focus on the title reigns CM Punk will pass in the month of November, on his way to December 4th when he ties Cena for the longest running modern day WWE Championship run.

If CM Punk loses his belt before November 1st, it will be a War Games themed thread.

Top Bottom