• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Jitters

I just saw that they are previewing a classic 5 on 5 for SS! Can't wait. I love those matches.

KK went darker!
iplyAWA2Azmwm.jpg

I just do not get the point of WWE Main Event existing. It's not even a show like Superstars that show the guys you don't get to see on the big shows. It's just two average matches that could be on Raw or SD. What is the point? It's boring as hell. I do, however, think it was smart to spoil the title match for ME, like they usually do when title matches take place on taped events. I think it helps build interest for the show.

Aiii

So not worth it
They also spoiled it when kurt jumped to SD win the title

It's getting out via dirt sheets and social media anyways. This way people tune in to see a title change. Once again, this all started when Foley won the title on Raw and Bischoff had it spoiled on Nitro and everyone flipped the channel.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I just saw that they are previewing a classic 5 on 5 for SS! Can't wait. I love those matches.

KK went darker!
iplyAWA2Azmwm.jpg

I just do not get the point of WWE Main Event existing. It's not even a show like Superstars that show the guys you don't get to see on the big shows. It's just two average matches that could be on Raw or SD. What is the point? It's boring as hell. I do, however, think it was smart to spoil the title match for ME, like they usually do when title matches take place on taped events. I think it helps build interest for the show.
The point of the show is to make the WWE money, which it does through TV fees. That's it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I always find the stories of Randy Orton being an asshole kind of weird. I read Punk interviews or his twitter, and I think he's some kind of insecure person with a stick up his ass who thinks that he's always being doubted by the internet despite him being their golden child. I do the same with Jericho.

I read Orton's twitter/interviews, and he always comes off as a guy who's chill about everything. Maybe it's because he's so secure in his position, but he's probably the nicest wrestler on Twitter. Still a mediocre wrestler who never tried to reach his potential though, and his only good gimmick was Evolution era Orton.

somedevil

Well Main Event does long matches that are not on Raw and Smackdown. Kofi and Miz went 20 minutes.

Also, the show makes them money and it gets Impact Ratings.

Enfinit

I read Orton's twitter/interviews, and he always comes off as a guy who's chill about everything. Maybe it's because he's so secure in his position, but he's probably the nicest wrestler on Twitter. Still a mediocre wrestler who never tried to reach his potential though, and his only good gimmick was Evolution era Orton.

I feel the same way. I feel like he's stereotyped as a douche bag ass hole, but in reality I think he's a probably a pretty nice family man. He might be a little voice-y on his opinions backstage, but I don't think he's as big of an ass hole as he majority of the IWC makes him out to be.

Aiii

So not worth it
AJ Lee first sees cyber self in 'WWE 13'

A few weeks ago, ESPN Playbook spoke with WWE Raw general manager AJ Lee about her love for video games.

But at the time, Lee was still waiting on word whether she would be featured in “WWE 13,” marking the first time she’d appear in a game without having to resort to the create-a-wrestler mode like the rest of us.

We caught up with Lee in New York City at the official “WWE 13” preview event, and not only was Lee ecstatic to reveal that she was indeed in the game as a downloadable character, but she even got her hands on an early copy to test out her virtual moves.

“Oh my gosh, it’s so surreal, I can’t even wrap my brain around this,” she said minutes after playing as herself for the first time. “This is over 10 years in the making for me and just a dream come true. I’m the luckiest person in the world.”

For her first match, Lee went all out, choosing to wrestle her boss, Stephanie McMahon.

“They asked me who I wanted to fight, and I’m so obsessed with Stephanie I knew I wanted to face her,” Lee said with a huge grin. “I love her, but for some reason I also want to fight her, so it was so amazing to see what it would look like if we were in the ring together.”

And while Lee’s trademark skip around the ring wasn’t in the game, the hottest female personality to hit the sport in years still says she couldn’t be happier about the way her character turned out.

“They chose my favorite gear, the shorts with the green... green is my favorite color, and they just have everything down perfect,” Lee said. “She looks just like me. I don’t know how they did it, but it’s insane. Every time I do a move in the game, I’m screaming at the screen, ‘I do that!’ I did a spinning back kick, sliced bread, and a shining wizard. Then I was looking at my taunts and I was really happy to see she has the ‘Yes!’ chant. I love that. And then there was another taunt that was a little too feminine for my liking, so when I’m kicking people in the game, I think I’ll skip that one and stick to the ‘Yes! Yes! Yes!’

“I can already see what I’m doing for the next few months. I’m going to be sitting at home on the couch, beating people up as the virtual me. It seems a little sad, but I don’t care. I’ve been waiting 13 years for my own video game character, and now that it’s here, I’m playing every chance I can get.”

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I always find the stories of Randy Orton being an asshole kind of weird. I read Punk interviews or his twitter, and I think he's some kind of insecure person with a stick up his ass who thinks that he's always being doubted by the internet despite him being their golden child. I do the same with Jericho.

Orton has changed drastically over the past five years or so (whenever he had his daughter). He was an immature asshole before that. I do agree with you on Punk, though. Punk seems like someone who's a bit too arrogant. I mean, the guy honestly thinks he would have been on Austin or Rock's level during the Attitude Era (or close to it). Back then, he would have been IC champion, and that's it. Especially considering that the main event scene was MUCH harder to crack into back then.

Ithil

I think Orton has some "frat boy" tendencies, but overall is a fairly cool guy outside of the ring. He'd definitely make you laugh, anyway. He also seems to be a good family man, which is always a plus. He was a legit brat when he was young though, quite entitled, callous and temperamental (he still has moments of temper loss, but they're rare). He mellowed out as he got older.

I get the sense Punk is a great guy and loyal as can be, if you're his friend, but tense and ratty if you're not. Unfortunately this means he has only a few very close friends that he thinks the world of, and a lot of people he's unfriendly towards.

Orton has changed drastically over the past five years or so (whenever he had his daughter). He was an immature asshole before that. I do agree with you on Punk, though. Punk seems like someone who's a bit too arrogant. I mean, the guy honestly thinks he would have been on Austin or Rock's level during the Attitude Era (or close to it). Back then, he would have been IC champion, and that's it. Especially considering that the main event scene was MUCH harder to crack into back then.

lol u

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The thing I really dislike with Punk is that he's constantly complaining in interviews about how often he's on the road and all the media appearances he has to do. It's like, dude, this is what you wanted! You wanted the attention and the money, and this is what comes with it.

Lol what?

jmdajr

The thing I really dislike with Punk is that he's constantly complaining in interviews about how often he's on the road and all the media appearances he has to do. It's like, dude, this is what you wanted! You wanted the attention and the money, and this is what comes with it.

EDIT: Well, not everyone can be GGG I guess.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Whose GGG?
Good Guy Glenn. Glenn Jacobs (Kane) is known for being one of the nicest guys in the business (Stone Cold's nickname for him is "sweetheart"). He's been described as a loyal and committed family man. Thus, NocturnOwl came up with the nickname of Good Guy Glenn for him, and we've since shortened it down to GGG.

BlazinAm

Good Guy Glenn. Glenn Jacobs (Kane) is known for being one of the nicest guys in the business (Stone Cold's nickname for him is "sweetheart"). He's been described as a loyal and committed family man. Thus, NocturnOwl came up with the nickname of Good Guy Glenn for him, and we've since shortened it down to GGG.

Is Stone Cold's nickname for him real?

Lol what?

If he came out and said "Gee I'm really good, but I bet if I was around in the attitude era I'd be a well respected IC champion" he wouldn't have a job and he certainly wouldn't be the star. Their business is 95% ego, you're being fucking dense if you fault the guy for having one.

XenoRaven

If he came out and said "Gee I'm really good, but I bet if I was around in the attitude era I'd be a well respected IC champion" he wouldn't have a job and he certainly wouldn't be the star. Their business is 95% ego, you're being fucking dense if you fault the guy for having one.
I'm the WWE champion now, but 10 years ago I would have been Hardcore Holly!

RESPECT

jmdajr

So I went to physical therapy today hoping I'd run into John Cena. Instead I get Alex Riley...

lol!

This reminds me of when I went to the Wrestlemnia 17 access in Houston. Someone cool like Kurt Angel was signing autographs and then he left to be replaced with..... Steve Blackman.
Everyone was like "boooooooooooooo!", and left the line in droves. Steve Black man was all, "Hey Fuck You all!"

I know people here probably appreciate someone like Steve Blackman but... It was pretty damn funny

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm faulting the guy for being an asshole to people. I still remember when he went off on some radio host, because the guy simply said, "you know, me and you both deal with people on some level.", trying to make a point about how great Punk is (he was an obvious Punk mark), and Punk went off saying, "you think me and you do the same stuff? Are you kidding."

Punk was admittantly mad about having to do an early morning interview, but it's like, dude, you wanted Cena's money and fame, but this is what comes with it.

Kyoufu

You can't be serious?

It'd be much easier for Punk to appeal to the wrestling fans of the Attitude Era than the PG Cena fans of today.

I'm faulting the guy for being an asshole to people. I still remember when he went off on some radio host, because the guy simply said, "you know, me and you both deal with people on some level.", trying to make a point about how great Punk is (he was an obvious Punk mark), and Punk went off saying, "you think me and you do the same stuff? Are you kidding."

Punk was admittantly mad about having to do an early morning interview, but it's like, dude, you wanted Cena's money and fame, but this is what comes with it.

This isn't even remotely close to what you were dissing him for... If I'm thinking of the same interview, the hosts were being well... early morning Radio DJs. Everything I've heard is that Punk is perfectly cool to people who are respectful and a dick to anyone who deserves it. Which is almost as dumb of a reason to hate a wrestler as "lol he thinks he'd be a big star in a different era".

Well, of course, but he wouldn't have been in the main event.

I'd say the same about Jericho if Jericho wasn't ever Jericho and did the things that Jericho did.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
This isn't even remotely close to what you were dissing him for... If I'm thinking of the same interview, the hosts were being well... early morning Radio DJs. Everything I've heard is that Punk is perfectly cool to people who are respectful and a dick to anyone who deserves it. Which is almost as dumb of a reason to hate a wrestler as "lol he thinks he'd be a big star in a different era".
It is much of the same. He's overly arrogant of what he does. And those guys seemed to be very respectful of him. Like I said, the radio host was clearly a Punk mark.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Mine doesn't say anything?

I didn't say he'd be in the main event.

I'm calling you out for saying that he wouldn't be based on the hairs on your arse.
Yeah, it's a wrestling message board, and we have these types of discussions. Hell, we were having the same discussion when the Punk/Austin WWE 13 interview was posted (they were discussing the same topic in the video), so I don't know why you're having a problem with me now.

EDIT: BTW, your assumption that fans would be more into him back then than now is an assumption too.

It is much of the same. He's overly arrogant of what he does. And those guys seemed to be very respectful of him. Like I said, the radio host was clearly a Punk mark.

I'm not gonna go digging it up, but I swear we had this same conversation when that interview came out and we disagreed then. No real point in having the argument once more based on speculative memory.

Kyoufu

Yeah, it's a wrestling message board, and we have these types of discussions. Hell, we were having the same discussion when the Punk/Austin WWE 13 interview was posted (they were discussing the same topic in the video), so I don't know why you're having a problem with me now.

I don't have a problem with you. I'm discussing your Magical Time Ship comment.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't have a problem with you. I'm discussing your Magical Time Ship comment.
Did you have the same problem when they discussed it in the video? Did you have the same problem when people in this thread were discussing this same topic? Did you have a problem when you said fans back then would be more into him than now (isn't that a glass ball assumption?). I really don't get this thread, sometimes. Constant complaints about not having any real discussions, then you try to have one, and instead of trying to actually have one, you just dismiss it. Of course it's just speculation, that's the point of threads like this!

Alucard

Banned
Does anyone else totally love how easy it is to get alternative wrestling options due to the Internet? Growing up, all I knew was the WWF, and I'd heard a little bit about the WCW, but I avoided it because the production values just didn't match the WWE's. As a kid, image was everything, and I didn't know alternatives existed.

Now, I can keep up to date on Dragon Gate, Ring of Honor, Chikara, Evolve, PWG, New Japan, etc. and watch PPV matches on youtube the day after sometimes! It's pretty amazing, and it offers a welcome breath of fresh air after watching a shitty Raw.

jmdajr

Does anyone else totally love how easy it is to get alternative wrestling options due to the Internet

Pretty amazing, and I don't take advantage of any of it. Well maybe my DVR, but that's still for crappy WWE programming, and not amazing independent stuff. Just not interested in making the leap.

Kyoufu

Did you have the same problem when they discussed it in the video? Did you have the same problem when people in this thread were discussing this same topic? Did you have a problem when you said fans back then would be more into him than now (isn't that a glass ball assumption?). I really don't get this thread, sometimes. Constant complaints about not having any real discussions, then you try to have one, and instead of trying to actually have one, you just dismiss it. Of course it's just speculation, that's the point of threads like this!

I'm sorry for challenging your Crystal Ball comment.

Does anyone else totally love how easy it is to get alternative wrestling options due to the Internet? Growing up, all I knew was the WWF, and I'd heard a little bit about the WCW, but I avoided it because the production values just didn't match the WWE's. As a kid, image was everything, and I didn't know alternatives existed.

Now, I can keep up to date on Dragon Gate, Ring of Honor, Chikara, Evolve, PWG, New Japan, etc. and watch PPV matches on youtube the day after sometimes! It's pretty amazing, and it offers a welcome breath of fresh air after watching a shitty Raw.

PWG is like... prohibitively difficult to keep up with. But the product is so far and away better than most everything else that it's totally worth it.

I basically didn't know a single thing about independent wrestling (outside of ECW) until someone in a WrassleGAF thread mentioned "CM Punk just signed his WWE contract on the Ring of Honor title", I didn't know what a CM Punk was and I could only make vague assumptions about what Ring of Honor was, but I was intrigued. Been a fan ever since.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm sorry for challenging your Crystal Ball comment.
You didn't challenge it. I would have loved for you to actually talk about it, and challenge my assumption that Punk would not have been main event level back in the Attitude Era, maybe with some examples, or what not. You know, a real discussion. Instead, you just went, "Lol, how can we possibly know", all while making your own assumption.

Dude, if you don't like me (due to the Kane stuff, or whatever), just come out and say it. There's no reason to be passive aggressive about it. There's no reason to try to ruin a viable discussion that I was trying to start (like I said, especially since it's been brought up in this thread in the past, and was one of the main topics of the Punk/Austin interview). You don't like that someone was trying to create a speculation discussion in a wrestling thread? Even while making your own assumption? Are you kidding?

Alucard

Banned
Pretty amazing, and I don't take advantage of any of it. Well maybe my DVR, but that's still for crappy WWE programming, and not amazing independent stuff. Just not interested in making the leap.

Have you tried watching any of the independent stuff? It can be pretty amazing, and the in-ring action is generally vastly superior to the stuff the wwe peddles.

jmdajr

Have you tried watching any of the independent stuff? It can be pretty amazing, and the in-ring action is generally vastly superior to the stuff the wwe peddles.

I've thought about it. I just feel that I spend already too much time with WWE stuff. And if I cut back on that, I'd rather catch up on games, tv shows, movies, books, etc and not more wrestling. If anything I would try Chikara because I'm a lot more into storylines. I appreciate a 5 star match, but I need my goofy characters and plot.

Alucard

Banned
PWG is like... prohibitively difficult to keep up with. But the product is so far and away better than most everything else that it's totally worth it.

I basically didn't know a single thing about independent wrestling (outside of ECW) until someone in a WrassleGAF thread mentioned "CM Punk just signed his WWE contract on the Ring of Honor title", I didn't know what a CM Punk was and I could only make vague assumptions about what Ring of Honor was, but I was intrigued. Been a fan ever since.

DVDs and youtube are the ways to go.

I became a fan when a buddy of mine invited me to a Ring of Honor show...then he leant me a "Best of Dragon Gate" DVD. After a decade of not giving a single shit about wrestling (stopped during Batista/Orton/Cena early era) I was back. "Where the hell did this stuff come from?!" Was an apt response to the incredible action I witnessed. I went to a Dragon Gate show in Toronto shortly afterwards, and have been hooked since.

I still didn't care about the WWE, though. Tried watching it...stopped for 3 months. Tried watching again...stopped for 5 months. And I only care now because of Punk and Bryan. That's honestly about it.

To treat this 'Punk in the Attitude Era" discussion as real:
I genuinely feel that Punk is one of the best of all time. He knows how to tell a story, can talk as well as Foley, and has a ton of personal charisma. I think he could have made it big in the Attitude Era, he has all of the qualifications and a real life gimmick that puts him at odds with the fans of the time.
I think he had about as good of a shot at making it as Chris Jericho did. The fact that we live in a world where Chris Jericho beat the 2 top guys of the attitude era on the same night means I can accept that Punk could have made it back then. Mind you, I think Punk is better than Jericho but Punk is a little smaller, doesn't juice, and would clash a lot more backstage than even Jericho did.

Top Bottom