• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Alucard

Banned
To treat this 'Punk in the Attitude Era" discussion as real:
I genuinely feel that Punk is one of the best of all time. He knows how to tell a story, can talk as well as Foley, and has a ton of personal charisma. I think he could have made it big in the Attitude Era, he has all of the qualifications and a real life gimmick that puts him at odds with the fans of the time.
I think he had about as good of a shot at making it as Chris Jericho did. The fact that we live in a world where Chris Jericho beat the 2 top guys of the attitude era on the same night means I can accept that Punk could have made it back then. Mind you, I think Punk is better than Jericho but Punk is a little smaller, doesn't juice, and would clash a lot more backstage than even Jericho did.

I love Jericho. Easily in my top 3 favourites of all time. Guys like Bret Hart and Chris Jericho are why I loved wrestling in the first place.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
To treat this 'Punk in the Attitude Era" discussion as real:
I genuinely feel that Punk is one of the best of all time. He knows how to tell a story, can talk as well as Foley, and has a ton of personal charisma. I think he could have made it big in the Attitude Era, he has all of the qualifications and a real life gimmick that puts him at odds with the fans of the time.
I think he had about as good of a shot at making it as Chris Jericho did. The fact that we live in a world where Chris Jericho beat the 2 top guys of the attitude era on the same night means I can accept that Punk could have made it back then. Mind you, I think Punk is better than Jericho but Punk is a little smaller, doesn't juice, and would clash a lot more backstage than even Jericho did.
Jericho didn't beat both those guys or enter the main event until after the Attitude Era. I think Punk is great, but I don't think he would have been able to be a perennial main eventer with guys like Rock, Austin, Angle or prime HHH.

BTW, thanks for actually trying to contribute to this thread, Persp.

Alucard

Banned
Jericho didn't beat both those guys or enter the main event until after the Attitude Era. I think Punk is great, but I don't think he would have been able to be a perennial main eventer with guys like Rock, Austin, Angle or prime HHH.

BTW, thanks for actually trying to contribute to this thread, Persp.

Why not? You need to support an opinion after giving it, man. :)

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Why not? You need to support an opinion after giving it, man. :)
He's not a good enough wrestler to be in the main event (certainly not as good as Angle), and he's not a good enough talker (as Rock or Austin were). He would have been good enough to be in the upper mid card and maybe once or twice be in the main event, but that's it.

Enfinit

He's not a good enough wrestler to be in the main event (certainly not as good as Angle), and he's not a good enough talker (as Rock or Austin were). He would have been good enough to be in the upper mid card and maybe once or twice be in the main event, but that's it.

Not sure how I feel about this.

Ithil

I can't agree with this, when he's on point he's one of the best talkers there is, he can hang with Austin. What's more the Attitude Era had a low emphasis on great wrestling, Angle was the minority. Punk would be in the top 5% of wrestlers, ability wise.

Although you're not a fan, I still think its worth a watch of CM Punk DVD. Yea he def. has an attitude problem but seeing what he had to go through to get where he is today, i can't really fault him. I am very biased though so it isn't exactly the best opinion but your thoughts on punk remind me of comments that various guys made on punk in the Documentary itself.

Long and short of it is that although he has a big attitude problem and isn't the most enthusiastic person in the public eye, his overall skill level in the ring and on the mic is so much higher against a lot of wrestlers past and present who've only had highs in one or the other that he can hang with the best of them. He's not crazy technical, but he's a great storyteller. But most of all, he's just really passionate about the business.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Although you're not a fan, I still think its worth a watch of CM Punk DVD. Yea he def. has an attitude problem but seeing what he had to go through to get where he is today, i can't really fault him. I am very biased though so it isn't exactly the best opinion but your thoughts on punk remind me of comments that various guys made on punk in the Documentary itself.

Long and short of it is that although he has a big attitude problem and isn't the most enthusiastic person in the public eye, his overall skill level in the ring and on the mic is so much higher against a lot of wrestlers past and present who've only had highs in one or the other that he can hang with the best of them. He's not crazy technical, but he's a great storyteller. But most of all, he's just really passionate about the business.
WTF? I am a fan. I already said that I think he's great, and I've already seen the ROH tape. I've already seen most of his matches outside of WWE, anyway.

Kaladin

- Thursday's IMPACT will feature the aftermath of the "Bound For Glory" Pay-Per-View event! Come see the fallout and updates from the biggest TNA Pay-Per-View event of the year!

- Appearing will be NEW World Heavyweight Champion "The Charismatic Enigma" Jeff Hardy, who regained the title on Sunday night in the "Bound For Glory" main event! Plus, how will Austin Aries react to the defeat?

- Also at "Bound For Glory", to the total shock of Brother Ray and the entire wrestling world, DEVON was revealed with The Aces & 8s! Now that he has been exposed, what will be the fallout? What does the gang have planned next? Don't miss Thursday's LIVE show!

- New champions were crowned at "Bound For Glory" as Rob Van Dam captured the X Division Championship, Hernandez and Chavo Guerrero became the new World Tag Team Champions and Tara won the Knockouts gold! The new titleholders are all scheduled to be at IMPACT this Thursday!

Plus, news on the upcoming "Turning Point" Pay-Per-View event on Sunday, November 11 from Universal Studios in Orlando!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So what? Not many (if any) were.
I view it was two things. You either had to be an amazing wrestler OR deliver great promos. I don't think Punk's promo work was as good as Rock or Austin's, and he wasn't as good as Angle. Throughout the entire Attitude Era, the only guys who consistently main evented were Rock, Austin, Angle, and HHH. Occasionally, Taker, Big Show, or Kane (and that month where Benoit was in it).

Punk would have had a good month or two, but I don't think he would have consistently main evented.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I can't agree with this, when he's on point he's one of the best talkers there is, he can hang with Austin. What's more the Attitude Era had a low emphasis on great wrestling, Angle was the minority. Punk would be in the top 5% of wrestlers, ability wise.
I disagree with the hang with Austin comment. Maybe on a really good day, but Austin, imo, was the best there ever was when it came to promos. Punk isn't on the "best there ever was" pedestal. He's not Flair, Dusty, HBK, Rock. Just not in my opinion. Certainly good, but like I said, Jericho couldn't crack the main event during the attitude era, and Jericho is better than Punk, imo.

Saying Jericho wasn't main event in the attitude era seems like a rather arbitrary distinction. He was active in the WWF and Main Eventing at the same time as: Rock, Austin, HHH, Angle, BikerTaker. I think the only person who is definitive "Attitude Era" who wasn't full time as Jericho was champ would be Foley.

CM Punk is a top tier talker no matter how you look at it. It's just that he's in a class shared by people like Foley and Dusty, not Rock and Austin. CM Punk can speak in a realistic manner to convey real emotions while Rock and Austin's strengths are in hyping a crowd/building a catchphrase. Both are important, but no one could ever do both perfectly.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Saying Jericho wasn't main event in the attitude era seems like a rather arbitrary distinction. He was active in the WWF and Main Eventing at the same time as: Rock, Austin, HHH, Angle, BikerTaker. I think the only person who is definitive "Attitude Era" who wasn't full time as Jericho was champ would be Foley.
No, he was not. Jericho was getting buried in pointless IC feuds (with Chyna and Road Dogg) for much of the attitude era. Jericho himself wrote in his book how Vince told him that he regretted signing him. That's low opinion was of him in that time period. Jericho didn't become champion until after the attitude era ended (which was WM 17). Jericho most certainly was not main eventing during the attitude era.

Kyoufu

That doesn't mean Jericho was not good enough.

I really fail to see your side of this discussion to be honest. I think you're in the minority on this one :p

SoulPlaya

more money than God
On another note, the attitude era was a time period where Vince was obsessed with big guys. I don't see how a flabby straight edge Punk could make it, honestly. Yeah, Angle was small too, but Angle had huge muscles, and Foley was huge in his own way. HBK was pretty muscular too (and he main evented during the early attitude era). I don't see how Punk could make it in that atmosphere.

Who gives a shit if CM Punk could make it in the Attitude Era. The real question is could he have made it where the big boys play.

The answer is no.

somedevil

Jericho could have main evented in the attitude era easily. He was super over at that time in the WWE. The problem was backstage politics and heat he got from coming in from the WCW. Vince told him that because all the crap got to him and his matches were horrible at the time. If didn't come and get all the heat he got he easily could of been in the main event.

He was supposed to be in the main event of Wrestlemania 2000 at one point as well.

Angle did main event but man he was booked like a goof throughout his early career.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That doesn't mean Jericho was not good enough.
That's fine, if you think so. However, it's only Vince's opinion that matters on this. Now, if he didn't feel that Jericho was good enough at the time (and I think Jericho agreed with him in his book), then what makes you think he would have thought a guy with less muscles than Jericho, and worse in ring ability (Jericho is a better wrestler), and arguably weaker mic skills could main event?

Striker

Guys like Angle didn't get a chance initially because of Triple H. I reckon that's the same reason Jericho wasn't catapulted up as he should have been.

You can he say deserved to be there, because it's absolutely true, but you can make arguments for multiple guys now with this dead, tiresome, and boring "main event" scene of 2012.

No, he was not. Jericho was getting buried in pointless IC feuds (with Chyna and Road Dogg) for much of the attitude era. Jericho himself wrote in his book how Vince told him that he regretted signing him. That's low opinion was of him in that time period. Jericho didn't become champion until after the attitude era ended (which was WM 17). Jericho most certainly was not main eventing during the attitude era.

They didn't pack up and say "Well, that's the end of the attitude era" at any specific time, but if you'd really need to draw a line in the sand I would say it would be when Brock Lesnar showed up and kicked off the "Ruthless Aggression" era after 18, as there was a pretty dramatic shift to athleticism at that point.

Who gives a shit if CM Punk could make it in the Attitude Era. The real question is could he have made it where the big boys play.

The answer is no.

Of course not, WCW was big for two kinds of coke and Punk doesn't touch either of them

They didn't pack up and say "Well, that's the end of the attitude era" at any specific time, but if you'd really need to draw a line in the sand I would say it would be when Brock Lesnar showed up and kicked off the "Ruthless Aggression" era after 18, as there was a pretty dramatic shift to athleticism at that point.
I think WWE themselves consider WrestleMania X-Seven the end of the Attitude Era.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That's not how it's historically seen by most people, I believe. The attitude era started at WM 13 and ended at WM 17. If you notice, WM 13 was when Austin pretty much became a face, and ended when Austin became a heel. It's also when WWE bought WCW.

Even if I were to agree with you, though, Lesnar showed up right after WM 18. Jericho became champion (and he really wasn't included in the main event until then) in December of 2001, then lost the title at WM 18, and was immediately dropped from the main event (to make room for Hogan and Rock, and Taker). That would mean that he was a main eventer for a total of about four months of the attitude era. So, by your own criteria, no, he was not on the level of those other guys you mentioned.

Bound For Glory was really good!

Such a refreshing change of pace to the other place where I get to see the best guy in wrestling lose randomly to fuel other people's feuds no one gives a shit about twice in a row.

Sokantish

I don't care about the A's, I'm not from Oakland or anything. The only reason I like the Raiders is because I was brainwashed as a young child and now I'm stuck with them

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't care about the A's, I'm not from Oakland or anything. The only reason I like the Raiders is because I was brainwashed as a young child and now I'm stuck with them
What a sick and twisted childhood. No wonder you're a Kane fan. You identify with his pain.

BlazinAm

Bound For Glory was really good!

Such a refreshing change of pace to the other place where I get to see the best guy in wrestling lose randomly to fuel other people's feuds no one gives a shit about twice in a row.

Who are you calling the best guy in wrestling who lost randomly?

Bound for Glory was really but it was another good PPV and the big spectacle like a Mania although Wrestlemania is another story. Given that they pissed away No Surrender I guess this makes up for it? Sure?

Top Bottom