• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
After years of exposure, they've finally contracted Vince's muscle fetish. And apparently the mark of champion is well defined muscle-tone and performance-enhanced pecs. And, really, there's only one name anyone needs to mention when it comes to the preposterous notion that you need to be built like a brick shithouse to get over as a champion; Dusty.
That's simply unfair, and sounds like you weren't following the debate accurately. I'm not saying that I dislike his physique. I'm not saying he should be kept down because of it. I'm saying would he have? Would his physique been a detriment to him in the Attitude Era? Would it have kept him out of the MAIN EVENT of the Attitude Era? Considering how everyone else in the main event of the attitude era looked like (with the exception of Foley, who wasn't a perennial main eventer), yes!

NawidA

Banned
Everyone's ratings are too damn high.

In regards to Punk, Heyman would've grabbed him, he would've been a ECW star then a WWE star (unless he made a terrible decision to go WCW but that shouldn't be part of the argument).

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That CM Punk argument hurt my head. SoulPlaya, joo crazy, yo. With the right push, CM Punk would've thrived in the Attitude Era simply because they would've booked him to be 10x as over the top and brash which would've meant his Straight Edge/dictator/cult gimmicks would've gone over even more. Austin/Punk would've been right up there with Austin/Rock.

I feel like you're underrating CM Punk's character as a result of him being in this sterile current era. No, he isn't a loud, "sing-a-long" type of promo, but that's exactly what would've made him stand out. You're telling me all his stuff with Raven, or the SES wouldn't have been huge in the Attitude Era? C'mon, son. Don't let your personal feelings toward his real life attitude take away from what he does on screen. Those are the same kind of blinders that HBK haters subconsciously wear. As for in ring skill, the Attitude Era isn't recognized for its technical prowess. Punk would been fine in that regard, especially since he has excellent psychology and works the crowd like a natural.

And if you're getting into whether or not Vince would've actually pushed him due to body type, that's a different discussion completely. Obviously, NOBODY will thrive if you don't get the full support of Creative™, so that's a pointless argument. Would CM Punk of 2009-2012 be a successful main event performer in the Attitude Era if given a chance? Absolutely. To dispute that is crazy. Half the reason he got over with "The Promo" last year was due to him coming off like a man trapped in the wrong era.
Punk isn't good enough to be a perennial main eventer in the Attitude Era. His promos aren't on the level of Rock or Austin, and I would argue that Austin was a better wrestler in 97 and 98. Punk would have done just fine as a top mid carder, but no, he wouldn't have main evented. The other side of my argument is that Vince wouldn't have even given him the chance to, anyway.

Kyoufu

Good god I thought we would have moved on from this.

SoulPlaya, you don't rate Punk, we get it. :p

I'd like to add though that you say Punk's mic work isn't good enough yet Austin's favourite promo of all time is Punk's pipebomb from last year. What now, son?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Good god I thought we would have moved on from this.

SoulPlaya, you don't rate Punk, we get it. :p

I'd like to add though that you say Punk's mic work isn't good enough yet Austin's favourite promo of all time is Punk's pipebomb from last year. What now, son?
Lol, I highly doubt Austin really believes that, and if he is, he's just trying to build up hype for an Austin/Punk program.

BTW, I was only responding to people who responded to me. Really, Kyoufu, I've told you before. If you've got a problem with me, then say so. Otherwise, stop trying to derail an actual discussion on wrestling that we're having. Aren't you one of the ones that's constantly complaining about the state of this thread? Yet never adds anything to any discussion, or even tries to start one?

I already know this is going to end with Kyoufu and Soul forming a tag team. #TeamTeamwork

I get the feeling someone in charge of WWE 13 is a Daniel Bryan fan.

Love it!

I think there was some heavy fanboy involvement in some of the decisions. Having Ambrose + Aries entrances, expanded call list with a ton of indy names. Should be good times.

That's simply unfair, and sounds like you weren't following the debate accurately.

I wasn't. I was just being a smart-ass :p

His promos aren't on the level of Rock or Austin

You're right. He's better than either of those guys - but no matter how good a guy is at promos, all he has to work with is the material creative gives him, and even then he has to work within the limitations of the era, which I think we can all agree were far less limiting in the Attitude Era.

SoulPlaya said:
Would his physique been a detriment to him in the Attitude Era? Would it have kept him out of the MAIN EVENT of the Attitude Era?

Was it a detriment to Foley? To a degree, but he was still a main eventer, and remains one of the most beloved characters of that era. But there's a huge difference between Punk and Foley.

And Punk wouldn't have been a perennial main eventer? Good! There's a phrase right there that sums up a lot of what's wrong with today's WWE. No one should be a perennial main eventer.

Clegg

The Rock isn't that good a promo man tbh.

I lot of his work boils down to catchphrases.

He was very charismatic though.

Punk isn't good enough to be a perennial main eventer in the Attitude Era. His promos aren't on the level of Rock or Austin, and I would argue that Austin was a better wrestler in 97 and 98. Punk would have done just fine as a top mid carder, but no, he wouldn't have main evented. The other side of my argument is that Vince wouldn't have even given him the chance to, anyway.

I don't understand how you say his promo work isn't on their level. You take THIS, change names to fit the WWF circa 98-2000, and it would be an all time classic promo. The SES induction ceremonies? The CM Jesus gimmick? Hell, what he did with Festus --> Luke Gallows and Serena would've happened to like 5+ wrestlers and divas back then. He's the ultimate foil to Stone Cold, and the perfect gimmick to tether the entire roster to the ground and provide some semblance of reality which is exactly what got Austin over initially.

Kyoufu

I don't understand how you say his promo work isn't on their level. You take THIS, change names to fit the WWF circa 98-2000, and it would be an all time classic promo. The SES induction ceremonies? The CM Jesus gimmick? Hell, what he did with Festus --> Luke Gallows and Serena would've happened to like 5+ wrestlers and divas back then. He's the ultimate foil to Stone Cold, and the perfect gimmick to tether the entire roster to the ground and provide some semblance of reality which is exactly what got Austin over initially.

I wish July 17 was my birthday.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I wasn't. I was just being a smart-ass :p

You're right. He's better than either of those guys - but no matter how good a guy is at promos, all he has to work with is the material creative gives him, and even then he has to work within the limitations of the era, which I think we can all agree were far less limiting in the Attitude Era.

Was it a detriment to Foley? To a degree, but he was still a main eventer, and remains one of the most beloved characters of that era. But there's a huge difference between Punk and Foley.

And Punk wouldn't have been a perennial main eventer? Good! There's a phrase right there that sums up a lot of what's wrong with today's WWE. No one should be a perennial main eventer.
Well, now we're mixing opinions with reality. Whether you believe there should be perennial main eventers or not, the fact is that the Attitude Era had only a small group of main eventers, and it was practically impossible to break into it.

We've now had people say that Punk is better than HBK at wrestling, someone say that Punk is better than Rock and Austin at promos, and someone say that Rock wasn't that good at promos in the attitude era? Yet, I'm the one who's crazy? Please.

Well, now we're mixing opinions with reality. Whether you believe there should be perennial main eventers or not, the fact is that the Attitude Era had only a small group of main eventers, and it was practically impossible to break into it.

We've now had people say that Punk is better than HBK at wrestling, someone say that Punk is better than Rock and Austin at promos, and someone say that Rock wasn't that good at promos in the attitude era? Yet, I'm the one who's crazy? Please.

Counterpoint: You think Kane is good.

Those opinions being as crazy doesn't excuse your crazy.

1. CM Punk is not a better wrassler than HBK. WrissleGOF pls
2. CM Punk is not necessarily better than Rock/Austin at promos, just different, which is what would've made him stand out.
3. The Rock had insane promo skills at his peak (which wasn't even the Attitude Era, but Hollywood Rock, IMO)

Paracelsus

I beg pardon if someone already delt with this theory but could it be that

-Cena finds his way back in HIAC
-Bork helps Punk pinning Cena so that Ryback isn't defeated and carries on with the streak
-Cena vs Punk at Survivor Series and whatever feud bringing Bork vs Ryback at WMania

EDIT: And Punk is not even as good as Savage, his mic skills are several light years ahead of the best Michaels though.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Those opinions being as crazy doesn't excuse your crazy.

1. CM Punk is not a better wrassler than HBK. WrissleGOF pls
2. CM Punk is not necessarily better than Rock/Austin at promos, just different, which is what would've made him stand out.
3. The Rock had insane promo skills at his peak (which wasn't even the Attitude Era, but Hollywood Rock, IMO)
Punk wouldn't have stood out in the Attitude Era. He would have fit right into Right to Censor. Hell, he may have been Steven Richards, lol.

Punk wouldn't have stood out in the Attitude Era. He would have fit right into Right to Censor. Hell, he may have been Steven Richards, lol.

#ThingsKaneMarksSay

I'm done. There's no hope here

EDIT: And Punk is not even as good as Savage, his mic skills are several light years ahead of the best Michaels though.

Stop it. Michaels has way better comedic timing than Punk. Again, totally different styles and goals.

He's better at telling a story with a promo than either guy, that's for sure - for me, I remember Rocky's promos because of his charisma and comic timing, while with Stone Cold I remember his attitude and character far more than anything he actually said (that wasn't an overused catchphrase). With Punk, as with all the great promo men, I remember the promos themselves.

SoulPlaya said:
He wouldn't have stood out as well as you guys think.

He would've stood out more than you are giving him credit for.

Hypothetical arguments are dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVVjYsn9sGc

Sounds a lot like something SES Punk would say. "Cult" stables were pretty common back then. And no, I'm not saying Richards is as good as Punk. He's nowhere close. I'm just saying. He wouldn't have stood out as well as you guys think.

Content, conviction, and the ability to engage are huge fucking deals. It's like you're showing us one of those Christian rock bands from the 90s that were supposed to sound "exactly like the popular artists of today", and not understanding why it's nothing fucking like listening to the real Rage Against the Machine or whoever.

But I'm talking to a guy who's favourite promos are *Lights fire - Looks around menacingly* so I wouldn't expect you to understand

I think people forget how amazing HBK was in his prime and only remember him recently.

His last feud was some of his all around best work.

Aiii

So not worth it
Do we really have to look any further then Punk vs Mick Foley's promo from a few weeks ago. I dare state Foley was on attitude era and Punk did just perfect against him.

Punk would've been a main event star in the attitude era, probably wouldn't have taken him 5 years in that era either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVVjYsn9sGc

Sounds a lot like something SES Punk would say. "Cult" stables were pretty common back then. And no, I'm not saying Richards is as good as Punk. He's nowhere close. I'm just saying. He wouldn't have stood out as well as you guys think.

Richards was so uncharismatic and cardboard dry in his WWF run. There's no comparison. Punk's more versatile, more natural, more commanding, wittier, etc. etc.

Stop talking crazy.

He's better at telling a story with a promo than either guy, that's for sure - for me, I remember Rocky's promos because of his charisma and comic timing, while with Stone Cold I remember his attitude and character far more than anything he actually said (that wasn't an overused catchphrase). With Punk, as with all the great promo men, I remember the promos themselves.

IDK man, storytime with Stone Cold was pretty damn good.

I SAID A BEER BELLY

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Content, conviction, and the ability to engage are huge fucking deals. It's like you're showing us one of those Christian rock bands from the 90s that were supposed to sound "exactly like the popular artists of today", and not understanding why it's nothing fucking like listening to the real Rage Against the Machine or whoever.

But I'm talking to a guy who's favourite promos are *Lights fire - Looks around menacingly* so I wouldn't expect you to understand
I know you're just trying to bait a response out of me with your usual "LOL KANE!" BS, but you really wouldn't expect me to understand? 90% of your posts in this thread are about me. Get off my balls already.

So guys how about we just hug it out or i'll make us have a thrilling conversation about the pros and cons of Vito wearing a dress gimmick.

Aiii

So not worth it
Also I'm gonna predict that January is gonna be awesome and Punk vs. Rock is gonna dwarf any promo Rock vs Cena gave us this year.

jmdajr

Main problem with Punk succeeding in the Attitude era is that Physique. Rock, Austin, Triple H all looked pretty damn good. Sure they were all probably juicing, but Punk being straight edge wouldn't be able to compete. Not exactly the tallest wrestler either.

Seems silly but I just think attitude era Vince wouldn't buy into it.

Kaladin

Aces & Eights are opening Impact tonight:

After winning at Bound For Glory, The Aces and 8s have a message to deliver at the start of tonight's broadcast - and this time, no one can keep them out! Will Devon speak out for the first time since BFG about his role with the group? What do they have planned next? How will Hulk Hogan, Sting and Bully Ray react?

I know you're just trying to bait a response out of me with your usual "LOL KANE!" BS, but you really wouldn't expect me to understand? 90% of your posts in this thread are about me. Get off my balls already.

Uh no, I'm trying to discuss it with you. You are actively denying the talents of one of the best stars in the business, it isn't unfair in the slightest to call into question your taste and credibility.

You don't understand. You think that RTC promo was similar to CM Punk because "cultlike" which is tantamount to me saying that Kane would never stand out as a dangerous guy in a weird mask because Shockmaster was such a colossal failure.

So guys how about we just hug it out or i'll make us have a thrilling conversation about the pros and cons of Vito wearing a dress gimmick.
I think it could have gone somewhere as long as they kept him face and didn't turn him into an all out drag queen.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, distraction ahoy, look at the pretty girl everyone:
imagetxh.jpg

I think it could have gone somewhere as long as they kept him face and didn't turn him into an all out drag queen.

He turned heel in the end while still under the gimmick? damn I barely remember, all I remember is the generic as hell theme music and the incredible JBL and Cole commentary to his matches.

Top Bottom