• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

strobogo

Banned
Ryback got his own PPV poster.....

woah

I wouldn't look into it. I think guys get picked at random for PPV posters. Remember Survivor Series 2001 with the finally ultimate battle to the death between WCW/ECW and WWF? Torrie Wilson and Lita were on the poster. Last year Punk wasn't on a poster until TLC, despite being the main focus of storylines since July. MITB was Big Show and Hornswoggle in PJs with a story book, Summerslam didn't have him at all (but did have Alicia Fox and Sin Cara).

I'm pretty sure one PPV this year had Kofi as the only guy on the poster and Miz is the only guy on the Survivor Series poster. It rarely means anything.

If its not about Kane, it's about Ryback here.... Disgraceful. On both accounts.

To my knowledge, Ryback is only discussed when he's involved in something new. He's getting pushed, so naturally he'd be mentioned more often than he would have been a month ago. It's not like people cram Ryback into discussions about, say, Gabe Sapolsky or Justin Roberts.

But fine. WrassleGAF trends never really go away, as evidenced by the near-revival of the Snowglobe Kliq, so just ignoring Ryback and Kane is not an option. So we clearly need another obsession to drown out noise from the other two. A 'third man', if you will. It'll probably be Dean Ambrose, when he finally debuts.

Heh. Ambrose, debuting. I made a funny!

jmdajr

cross post

Booker T named Homefield Advantage Team Captain for Ravens game!

http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday/pregame-activities.html

Booker_T.jpg

Now can you dig that sucka!!??

hahaha, get the fuck outta here!

"RAVENS, WE COMIN FOR YOOOOU NIGGA!"

Ithil

Ryback's only getting this main event push because Cena is injured, I expect they would have waited until sometime next year otherwise (which would have been the right thing to do). I'm not sure how they couldn't find ANY other opponent for Punk, though.

jmdajr

Ryback's only getting this main event push because Cena is injured, I expect they would have waited until sometime next year otherwise (which would have been the right thing to do). I'm not sure how they couldn't find ANY other opponent for Punk, though.

Should have cancelled Randy Ortons movie. Yeah I know it's not a new feud, but they could have a great match.

Forkball

I'm mixed on The Ryback.

Pros:
Has three cool moves
Catchphrase is somewhat amusing
Can be called "The Ryback"

Cons:
Hasn't beaten anyone worth a damn
Can be sloppy in the ring with the simplest things
Could easily fade into oblivion like Brodus after he lost his undefeated streak

The original members of Nexus have had some strange career paths.

Wade Barrett: Pushed pretty hard, featured midcarder after de-Nexusing, has the talent but still may not go anywhere
David Otunga: Awful in the ring, but still managed to be entertaining with Johnny Ace, now a semi-jobber
Michael Tarver: Had an intimidating look, but nothing else and released
The Ryback: Started as just dumb muscle, came back as possibly even dumber muscle and now has a WWE title shot
Daniel Bryan: Easily the most successful and over member, even though he was only in Nexus for one day
Darren Young: Surprisingly still employed. I think he's improved, but still has a long way to go.
Heath Slater: Started off as extremely bland with a nonsensical gimmick, managed to rise to King of the Jobbers
Justin Gabriel: I think he's completely wasted. I like his matches, he has a cool finisher and a good look, but I guess he can't talk worth a damn. He should be at least Sin Cara level in terms of relevance.

VerTiGo

Banned
The Ryback, lol. I expect to see Ryback out of he scene a year from now. Well I haven't seen him do much that's noteworthy. Comparing him to Goldberg and even the Warrior is just wrong. At least the warrior ran around like a maniac to give us some levelof intensity. Ryback is like Hogan but with zero charisma and canned chants that need to be forced upon the crowd to drown the Goldberg chants. As the great Randy Savage would put it. Grandstanding' and hotdoggin!

Man I love TNA's non WWE reject roster list. Aries and Roode are the future of the company. It's a shame too many in here are obsessed with WWE's variety hour programming.

Despite a great PPV from TNA, it seems like both companies dropped the ball big time this week.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm mixed on The Ryback.

Pros:
Has three cool moves
Catchphrase is somewhat amusing
Can be called "The Ryback"

Cons:
Hasn't beaten anyone worth a damn
Can be sloppy in the ring with the simplest things
Could easily fade into oblivion like Brodus after he lost his undefeated streak

The original members of Nexus have had some strange career paths.

Wade Barrett: Pushed pretty hard, featured midcarder after de-Nexusing, has the talent but still may not go anywhere
David Otunga: Awful in the ring, but still managed to be entertaining with Johnny Ace, now a semi-jobber
Michael Tarver: Had an intimidating look, but nothing else and released
The Ryback: Started as just dumb muscle, came back as possibly even dumber muscle and now has a WWE title shot
Daniel Bryan: Easily the most successful and over member, even though he was only in Nexus for one day
Darren Young: Surprisingly still employed. I think he's improved, but still has a long way to go.
Heath Slater: Started off as extremely bland with a nonsensical gimmick, managed to rise to King of the Jobbers
Justin Gabriel: I think he's completely wasted. I like his matches, he has a cool finisher and a good look, but I guess he can't talk worth a damn. He should be at least Sin Cara level in terms of relevance.

John Cena: Face of the WWE

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
100% positive with Ryback, I'm a Ryback Banana Rider.

Kaladin

The only positive that can come out of Ryback's title shot, is the potential for anyone on the roster to be able to get a title shot at any given time.....that is something that WWE could improve on but I'm not sure Ryback is the right person to do it with, and with how it has happened I'm not sure that it will change the big picture.

Aiii

So not worth it
I wouldn't look into it. I think guys get picked at random for PPV posters. Remember Survivor Series 2001 with the finally ultimate battle to the death between WCW/ECW and WWF? Torrie Wilson and Lita were on the poster. Last year Punk wasn't on a poster until TLC, despite being the main focus of storylines since July. MITB was Big Show and Hornswoggle in PJs with a story book, Summerslam didn't have him at all (but did have Alicia Fox and Sin Cara).

I'm pretty sure one PPV this year had Kofi as the only guy on the poster and Miz is the only guy on the Survivor Series poster. It rarely means anything.

Yeah, don't know if they get paid for being on the poster at all, probably not. But it seems they just like to showcase as many of their stars as possible.

Speaking of, still the best poster of the year by far:
No_Way_Out_2012_poster_medium_medium.jpg

I guess Punk's HiaC poster is a good second and Lesnar's SummerSlam poster would make the 3th position.

I noticed that the we edited out punk's tattoo for that poster.

The Pepsi logo? It's not in the game or on any of the other merchandise either. Pepsi can't sue WWE for showing the actual person on TV with a logo on his shoulder, but once they start selling any merchandise with the Pepsi-logo on it they're liable for lawsuit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The only positive that can come out of Ryback's title shot, is the potential for anyone on the roster to be able to get a title shot at any given time.....that is something that WWE could improve on but I'm not sure Ryback is the right person to do it with, and with how it has happened I'm not sure that it will change the big picture.

At least it's something new. We should all wait to see how well it plays out. Could be a huge mistake, might not be, but I'll take Ryback over Cena just from an entertainment perspective.

VerTiGo

Banned
Problem is that they may give Ryback the title just to cement his character and thats not right. You don't jus pass around your top championship to build a star. You have to be a star player to deserve such an accolade. No respect.

Second issue is there is no rising star in the position to take the title away from punk. There needs to be a roster shake up at WWE. They desperately need new top talent in the main event picture and Ryback is not that guy.

Kaladin

They've really booked themselves into a corner here. They have a gimmick PPV with a hell in a cell match where there is no DQ and no countout to protect a guy like Ryback. They have to find a way to beat Ryback and not damage any credibility he's built going undefeated. It's kind of a tough situation.

Aiii

So not worth it
I love how the wwe goes to Egypt and punk is stuck in New Jersey . No respect

Actually, it's the Smackdown World Tour that's headed for Egypt right? None of the Raw guys are going?

They've really booked themselves into a corner here. They have a gimmick PPV with a hell in a cell match where there is no DQ and no countout to protect a guy like Ryback. They have to find a way to beat Ryback and not damage any credibility he's built going undefeated. It's kind of a tough situation.

Brock Lesnar.

Kyoufu

Ryback will rip apart the cell and Punk will escape with Heyman. Crowd will go home pissed.

jmdajr

Like others have said, there has to be some kind of escape. WWE isn't that crazy to let RYBACK win...

right?

After a gruelling 20 minutes Punk is on the ropes, if this weren't the current era he'd be battered and bloody but in this case I guess he'll just be very sweaty and exhausted, Ryback on the other hand is still raring to go (despite in reality actually being like 20 times more knackered than Punk).
Punk is terrified because now it's feeding time and he's going to become Ryback's lunch, he retreats out of the ring and starts desperately kicking away at the cell, Ryback starts menacingly walking around the ring after him while Punk throws various tools at him from under the ring.
During this commotion Heyman has got to work on unlocking the front door, he opens it and Punk flees up the ramp to a chorus of boos, AJ comes out but before she can get a word in a frustrated Punk simply kicks her head off for shock value and high drama.
Then hero Cena comes out with his lead pipe and wallops Punk who flees like a little girl while Ryback is still fuming back by the Cell.
Show ends with Cena's music, Punk flees with the belt, Ryback still undefeated and looking like a monster, crowd pissed by a lame finish.

edit: oh I guess Ryback can beat up Heyman afterwards as well.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm starting to hate this Jean Ambulance guy you keep yapping about. You keep sayin he's great but haven't seen him perform on a 3 hour Raw. Creative has nothing for him and neither do I.

McNei1y

I think Ryback is okay. My only problem with him is that he is sloppy in the ring and hasn't faced anyone important. And when he does get close to facing someone important, the opponent somehow gets out of a match (Ziggler walking away, Punk running away, Miz getting squashed). Other than that I think he's pretty amusing. I just hope he puts on a decent show in HIAC. If he does then he'll probably gain my support.

Wade Barrett should be the Heavyweight Champion.

Are you a Hardy fan or something? It was a good promo. I don't see how it was horrible in any way. Poking fun at Hardy, sayin how he pulls strings in the back and those cookies. Yes must be a Hardy fan.

Aries in that promo alone, in addition to Hardy's lack of charisma killed Hardy's momentum, which there was none anyway. Where we're the impact zone fans in Arizona. That crowd was behind Aries but the BFG highlights edited the audio to make it sound like people there were actually for Hardy.

The delivery was poor. I hate Hardy as much as any rational person.

Ryback represents everything I don't like about wrestling. Get your throats ready Vince is about to shove some new shit down your throat

Kaladin

FYI, expect an even lower Raw rating for the go home show next week. It's going against Monday Night Football and the final 2012 Presidential Debate.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
FYI, expect an even lower Raw rating for the go home show next week. It's going against Monday Night Football and the final 2012 Presidential Debate.

I ain't gonna lie. I'll be watching the debate.

strobogo

Banned
IMPACT Thoughts:

Devon was doing his best Vince impression. I like how Kurt was the 3rd person on the ramp, but one of the last guys to actually make it to the ring. He walks like a 70 year old mall walker. The camera angles for the A8 guy in red flannel were so weird. They made him look TINY, like referee tiny. But once in the ring, he was one of the bigger guys. So weird. What does full access really mean? Full access to the financial books? Full access to catering? Full access to the rides of Universal? Sting vs Devon is for sure one of the last dream matches pro wrestling can deliver. Seriously? Who wants to see that? Who wants to see Devon vs anyone?

Great Hardy vs Aries package. Made it look like such a big deal.

James STORMS. Joseph PARKS. STINGMON. I think Hulk might be a secret Mid Westerner and has to add an S to every name. Like Meijers. It's fucking MEIJER, assholes. Look at the giant logo when you come in the building. Look at your card. Look at the logos all over the building. MEIJER. No S.

Glad the Robbies are back. Big (Little) Robbie is such a good stooge. Straight up squash. At least Joe is starting to look motivated and like a bad ass again. Maybe there is hope for his career.

Why is that young jacked up guy making out with his mom? I thought Russo wasn't in charge anymore? Tara and Jesse from Big Brother 9, 10, 11, 12 are going to be the first mother and son Knock Outs Tag Team Champions. Just watch Taryn the whole match. I think she was on coke. And she isn't in control of her arms very much.

Chavo's only been around like 2 months and he's already hurt? I'd much rather have Kid Kash and Bully Ray be a tag team of big and little bullies than anything with Gunner.

I kind of dig Jeff's Use Your Illusion face paint this week.

Sting shouldn't have to fix Bully's attitude. Hogan is the one pissing him off over and over. Sting believed him and is on his side. So why does Sting have to fix it?

Jeff's paint might be cool this week, but that music is even worse than his last two songs. Mexican flag colors are a strange choice for confetti. Maybe it was left over from a Mexican America promo. Jeff should just stand around looking weird and never, ever talk. Or yell as he normally does. A Double has a pretty good singing voice. Austin says "figure" really oddly. It sounds like he's saying "figger". It sounds to me like he's going to wait until Jeff relapses and then invoke his rematch Santa Claus.

Daniels is a REBEL, Dottie. A loner. Stupid AJ. He could have won the match over Kurt and instead decides to do an Asai Moonsault for no reason. And he has the nerve to have an attitude with Kurt over that? All he had to do was jump forward instead of backward and he would have won the match. But he's mad at Kurt for that? Come on, son.

Joey Ryan is SO short. Jesus. He might be shorter than Aries. Oh shit, Matt Morgan and TERRY are SHOOTING. That was awfully...rapey. Did they resign Matt Morgan? Because two weeks ago Brother Love was all up in Al Snow and D'Lo's asses for letting the uncontracted Matt Morgan attack wrestlers and refs. So why would they resign him after attacking Al Snow at the biggest show of the year?

Without ROOOOOOoooo, James Storms would never have BEAN a champion. Lol NOPE. Chuck Testa.

Well, Sting vs Devon sure lived up to the hour and a half of hype. Why don't the other A8 guys take off their masks if they have full access with impunity? Any momentum that angle had going for it completely stalled out on this episode. Zero heat, zero interest at all.

jobber

IMPACT Thoughts:

Devon was doing his best Vince impression. I like how Kurt was the 3rd person on the ramp, but one of the last guys to actually make it to the ring. He walks like a 70 year old mall walker. The camera angles for the A8 guy in red flannel were so weird. They made him look TINY, like referee tiny. But once in the ring, he was one of the bigger guys. So weird. What does full access really mean? Full access to the financial books? Full access to catering? Full access to the rides of Universal? Sting vs Devon is for sure one of the last dream matches pro wrestling can deliver. Seriously? Who wants to see that? Who wants to see Devon vs anyone?

Great Hardy vs Aries package. Made it look like such a big deal.

James STORMS. Joseph PARKS. STINGMON. I think Hulk might be a secret Mid Westerner and has to add an S to every name. Like Meijers. It's fucking MEIJER, assholes. Look at the giant logo when you come in the building. Look at your card. Look at the logos all over the building. MEIJER. No S.

Glad the Robbies are back. Big (Little) Robbie is such a good stooge. Straight up squash. At least Joe is starting to look motivated and like a bad ass again. Maybe there is hope for his career.

Why is that young jacked up guy making out with his mom? I thought Russo wasn't in charge anymore? Tara and Jesse from Big Brother 9, 10, 11, 12 are going to be the first mother and son Knock Outs Tag Team Champions. Just watch Taryn the whole match. I think she was on coke. And she isn't in control of her arms very much.

Chavo's only been around like 2 months and he's already hurt? I'd much rather have Kid Kash and Bully Ray be a tag team of big and little bullies than anything with Gunner.

I kind of dig Jeff's Use Your Illusion face paint this week.

Sting shouldn't have to fix Bully's attitude. Hogan is the one pissing him off over and over. Sting believed him and is on his side. So why does Sting have to fix it?

Jeff's paint might be cool this week, but that music is even worse than his last two songs. Mexican flag colors are a strange choice for confetti. Maybe it was left over from a Mexican America promo. Jeff should just stand around looking weird and never, ever talk. Or yell as he normally does. A Double has a pretty good singing voice. Austin says "figure" really oddly. It sounds like he's saying "figger". It sounds to me like he's going to wait until Jeff relapses and then invoke his rematch Santa Claus.

Daniels is a REBEL, Dottie. A loner. Stupid AJ. He could have won the match over Kurt and instead decides to do an Asai Moonsault for no reason. And he has the nerve to have an attitude with Kurt over that? All he had to do was jump forward instead of backward and he would have won the match. But he's mad at Kurt for that? Come on, son.

Joey Ryan is SO short. Jesus. He might be shorter than Aries. Oh shit, Matt Morgan and TERRY are SHOOTING. That was awfully...rapey. Did they resign Matt Morgan? Because two weeks ago Brother Love was all up in Al Snow and D'Lo's asses for letting the uncontracted Matt Morgan attack wrestlers and refs. So why would they resign him after attacking Al Snow at the biggest show of the year?

Without ROOOOOOoooo, James Storms would never have BEAN a champion. Lol NOPE. Chuck Testa.

Well, Sting vs Devon sure lived up to the hour and a half of hype. Why don't the other A8 guys take off their masks if they have full access with impunity? Any momentum that angle had going for it completely stalled out on this episode. Zero heat, zero interest at all.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

strobogo

Banned
Stone Cold Steve Christian looks creepy as fuck. Christian Edge is stunningly handsome

Roddy Flair looks like Michael J. Fox.

Andre the Brain Heenan looks like a thumb.

Rocky Cena looks like Johnny Curtis.

Jerry Ross looks like a stern Asian father.

tm24

The NJPW officials say they’d like to reward the CMLL fans for the supporting the NJPW wrestlers so well, and they have plans to send “one of the best rudos we have.” They don’t say the name, but Kazuchika Okada is a rudo and the biggest name from NJPW who hasn’t made an appearance in CMLL (though he has worked in Arena Mexico for Toryumon way back in the day.)

Okada in Mexico? Please, pleae, please let this happen

jobber

Mike Graham was so sadden over the cookies that he took his own life.

I know how he feels :(

#savethecookies

Jeff Harvey will pay for these crimes against humanity

Top Bottom