• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

strobogo

Banned
they had a 'deal' with TNA before, and it lead to them doing ... nothing with Okada. Japanese wrestlers don't get a push in the states. Europeans barely do. Mexican wrestlers get more than Japanese but less than European.

I would argue since the mid 90s that Mexican wrestlers have been pushed more than European guys in America. Eddie, Rey, Chavo, ADR, multiple Mexican/Hispanic stables in TNA. How many European world champions, or title holders in general have there been in WWE/WCW/ECW/TNA in the past 10-15 years?

Sheamus is the only world champion I can think of and the way the relationship between the UK and Europe proper makes that kind of borderline case. In fact, nearly all European wrestlers in the big leagues are from the UK exclusively. Besides Claudio, I really don't know of any non-UK Euros that have made it to the bigger companies in the US. If you go back farther you get...Ludvig Borga, Andre, and Bruno, I guess. But even then, of all the big UK wrestlers that have been over here, Sheamus is the only world champion. I would say Regal is the most known and successful guy of the whole group, but after that the success rate really drops off to meaningless midcard titles and under.

Where as Rey has been one of the faces of the biggest company of the decade, had a (shitty, but still) title run with the big belt, made the the cruiser and tag belts mean something, and is always a major star and focal point when he's not hurt. That goes without mentioning what he did in WCW. ADR debuted straight at the top and has been in the main event since his very first night, headlined many PPVs both as champion and challenger, won a Royal Rumble, is on as much or more promotional materials than Punk. Eddie was arguably the most over guy in the world from the end of 2003 until his final heel turn and death. And even then he was still one of the most popular guy in the company. And now he's been outright deified since his death. This also doesn't take into account his ECW and WCW work.

Then you have lesser guys like Chavo, Juvi, Psychosis, Super Crazy, Sin Cara (ish) who, while they weren't pushed as top guys, had long successful careers in the US where they were featured players and had time to have long matches on TV and PPV.

TNA has been pushing Hernadez hard for 6 years, Chavo is now there being treated as a bigger deal than he ever was in WWE (clean win over Kurt!), had a working relationship with AAA for about half the duration of company history. The only UK/Euro guys TNA has/had are Bigger Robbie, Doug Williams, and Brutus. Doug Williams gets submission injured by Zema Ion and Bigger Robbie wears tiny cardigans (which is actually awesome).

Mexican wrestlers have been given way more in America for close to 20 years now.

Ithil

Rewatching some 1998 RAW, and by god Jeff Jarrett's silver attire might be the stupidest attire I've ever seen in the WWE. Nice to see him jobbing in the mid card, though, his rightful place.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I would argue since the mid 90s that Mexican wrestlers have been pushed more than European guys in America. Eddie, Rey, Chavo, ADR, multiple Mexican/Hispanic stables in TNA. How many European world champions, or title holders in general have there been in WWE/WCW/ECW/TNA in the past 10-15 years?

Sheamus is the only world champion I can think of and the way the relationship between the UK and Europe proper makes that kind of borderline case. In fact, nearly all European wrestlers in the big leagues are from the UK exclusively. Besides Claudio, I really don't know of any non-UK Euros that have made it to the bigger companies in the US. If you go back farther you get...Ludvig Borga, Andre, and Bruno, I guess. But even then, of all the big UK wrestlers that have been over here, Sheamus is the only world champion. I would say Regal is the most known and successful guy of the whole group, but after that the success rate really drops off to meaningless midcard titles and under.

Where as Rey has been one of the faces of the biggest company of the decade, had a (shitty, but still) title run with the big belt, made the the cruiser and tag belts mean something, and is always a major star and focal point when he's not hurt. That goes without mentioning what he did in WCW. ADR debuted straight at the top and has been in the main event since his very first night, headlined many PPVs both as champion and challenger, won a Royal Rumble, is on as much or more promotional materials than Punk. Eddie was arguably the most over guy in the world from the end of 2003 until his final heel turn and death. And even then he was still one of the most popular guy in the company. And now he's been outright deified since his death. This also doesn't take into account his ECW and WCW work.

Then you have lesser guys like Chavo, Juvi, Psychosis, Super Crazy, Sin Cara (ish) who, while they weren't pushed as top guys, had long successful careers in the US where they were featured players and had time to have long matches on TV and PPV.

TNA has been pushing Hernadez hard for 6 years, Chavo is now there being treated as a bigger deal than he ever was in WWE (clean win over Kurt!), had a working relationship with AAA for about half the duration of company history. The only UK/Euro guys TNA has/had are Bigger Robbie, Doug Williams, and Brutus. Doug Williams gets submission injured by Zema Ion and Bigger Robbie wears tiny cardigans (which is actually awesome).

Mexican wrestlers have been given way more in America for close to 20 years now.
WWE has guys like Wade who, while misused, continues to stay around the upper mid card/upper card. William Regal had his big push that he screwed up. Drew got his insanely undeserved IC title push.

Chavo hardly got a 'push'. He got a pity push for 'hey, you've been here forever, and we might be partially responsible for your uncle's death so take this.' I wouldn't put him up with ADR, Rey, or Eddie in terms of a big push.

TNA also pushed the hell out of Desmond Wolfe before he was diagnosed. He even beat Kurt when Kurt was the top dog of the company. Doug had the biggest X Division title push since Samoa Joe's reign. You say Hernandez has always been pushed unlike Rob or Doug, but Hernandez has done plenty of mindless feuds just to keep him on the card, but I would struggle to call that a push.
So what console are people getting on 13 anyway.

gurudyne

They are probably trying to figure a way out of the hole Ryback but them in. They aren't going to have Ryback lose yet even to Punk. So they have to have some screwy finish If Ryback doesn't injure Punk

Does this mean we're building to a strange finish where Hell No tears into the cell, pins the champ together and proclaim "WE'RE the WWE Champion!"

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Does this mean we're building to a strange finish where Hell No tears into the cell, pins the champ together and proclaim "WE'RE the WWE Champion!"
Holy shit.

DO THIS!!!!!!

tumblr_mc69jtnTxX1r6v2bdo2_250.gif

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
WWE has guys like Wade who, while misused, continues to stay around the upper mid card/upper card. William Regal had his big push that he screwed up. Drew got his insanely undeserved IC title push.

Chavo hardly got a 'push'. He got a pity push for 'hey, you've been here forever, and we might be partially responsible for your uncle's death so take this.' I wouldn't put him up with ADR, Rey, or Eddie in terms of a big push.

TNA also pushed the hell out of Desmond Wolfe before he was diagnosed. He even beat Kurt when Kurt was the top dog of the company. Doug had the biggest X Division title push since Samoa Joe's reign. You say Hernandez has always been pushed unlike Rob or Doug, but Hernandez has done plenty of mindless feuds just to keep him on the card, but I would struggle to call that a push.

Chavo spent... I think over a year jobbing to hornswaggle.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Insanity. Brown suit Mankind was the best because he was seen as a credible threat rather than the constant underdog. He had great matches with Taker back then.
He debuted by having a match early in RAW and then wrecking Taker in the overrun.

The Ryback will charge at Punk but miss, busting himself open on the cage in the process, and then the ref will stop the match due to excessive blood loss. The end.

strobogo

Banned

I didn't say Chavo was at the same level or in the same league as ADR/Eddie/Rey. But he was a mid card to upper midcard fixture in WCW and WWE for about 12 years. At various times (usually when with Eddie, but not always) he was presented as a world class wrestler from a legendary family who could hang with top guys. When he was with Eddie in 2002-2003, he was booked as being able to go toe to toe with Rey and Angle at a time when it still meant something. He was still booked fairly well until Kerwin White nonsense and Eddie dying. But then he was a pretty featured member of ECW and Smackdown with La Familia (which also sucked, mind you) before Hornswoggle ruined his career. He had pretty much the best mid card career one can have. Even if it had some really low points.

Wade had 6 months as a top guy and was completely ruined and deposited in mid card hell. He's getting a push now, but he was an absolute non-factor from the Cena feud until a few weeks ago. Drew won the IC belt, had pretty significant screen time for a while, then disappeared and is now a lacky in HEATH SLATER's stable. I doubt Regal has had a match on Raw or Smackdown in at least a year and a half. Has he even been on the shows backstage besides as a talking head on the Taker/HHH or Cena/Punk matches?

VerTiGo

Banned
I'm rewatching BFG and someone NEEDS to GIF when Storm hits Roode with the crutch he took from a crowd member and then the crutch guy's face as he receives it back from Storm. So amazingly funny.

Some really cool Smart Mark Video/CHIKARA/Wrestling Is Fun news.

Do you like watching professional wrestling? How does watching it for FREE sound?

Smart Mark Video is excited to announce that we’re almost ready to begin airing live internet pay-per-views on our SMV on Demand site! First though we’d like to run some vigorous testing to ensure that we work out any kinks that may arise before we ask you to dish out your hard earned money! So this coming Friday and Saturday we’re asking that you head on over to www.SMVod.com and check out the FREE offerings we’ve got going on, including a LIVE FREE-PER-VIEW of the Wrestling is Fun! event in Allentown, PA!

On Friday, October 26 at 8PM Eastern Standard Time we’ll be serving up 30 minutes of never before seen CHIKARA action from the Road 2 Ruin Fest this past June! We’ll be showing:

1) Mr. Touchdown vs. Dragonfly

2) Chuck Taylor vs. Saturyne

3) Fire Ant, Soldier Ant & Green Ant vs. Ophidian & Los Ice Creams

You’ll not only get those three matches for free but you’ll be helping us work out any last minute kinks we might have before going LIVE thenext night for the FREE-PER-VIEW! It all goes down this Friday, October 26 at 8PM Eastern Standard Time on www.SMVod.com!

Then on Saturday, October 27 at 7PM Eastern Standard Time we’ll be going LIVE from the Wrestling is Fun! event in Allentown, PA! Can’t make it to Allentown? No problem! Enjoy the entire event from the comfort of your home for FREE! Announced so far:

1) Fire Ant & Green Ant vs. Obariyon & Kodama

2) UltraMantis Black vs. STIGMA

3) Saturyne vs. An opponent to be named

4) Jaka vs. Gran Akuma

5) Dasher Hatfield vs. assailANT

6) Grizzly Redwood vs. Oleg the Usurper

7) Mike Quackenbush vs. "Mr. Touchdown" Mark Angelosetti

Seven big matches, all LIVE and for FREE! All you’ve got to do is point your browser to www.SMVod.com at 7:00PM Eastern Standard Time this Saturday, October 27 and enjoy the FREE-PER-VIEW! Free wrestling and you’ll be helping out your pals at Smart Mark Video? Sounds like a win/win to us!

If you experience any issues during either night please let us know! Tweet us at @smartmarkvideo or email us at smartmark5@gmail.com! That’s all we ask of you for these two evenings of free pro wrestling! We want to get this whole internet pay-per-view thing right and we can’t do it without your help and patience!

For more information on Wrestling is Fun! check out their website at www.wrestlingisfun.org!

For more information on Smart Mark Video and SMV on Demand check out our websites at www.SmartMarkVideo.com and www.SMVod.com!

This is pretty awesome, definitely going to try and watch - I've only checked out one wrestling is fun event before, but it was definitely a solid show and Quack vs Touchdown should be an awesome main event. I also kinda like that Jaka guy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the main CHIKARA roster at some point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Too bad Yukes is cheap.

If they weren't, they'd do like the 2k games do and offer 'vintage' cameras and graphics for the Attitude Era stuff. I want everything in Attitude Era to look like there's constantly smoke.

rvd2kewl

They are probably trying to figure a way out of the hole Ryback but them in. They aren't going to have Ryback lose yet even to Punk. So they have to have some screwy finish If Ryback doesn't injure Punk

Wouldn't be shocked if Mark Henry returns and lays out Ryback. Not saying it's going to happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. We're a few weeks past the original estimate for his return so he's gotta be close to coming back. This would give them something to do with Ryback then for a bit to keep him out of the title picture.

Kaladin

You can't DQ your way out of a hell in a cell!

(unless they pull some contractual sorcery and make it a regular title match which Punk can DQ himself out of)

pants

You can't DQ your way out of a hell in a cell!

(unless they pull some contractual sorcery and make it a regular title match which Punk can DQ himself out of)

What if Lesnar comes out and interferes, this enrages Ryback and he runs after the retreating cowardly heel leaving Punk in the ring with the belt? Do escapes count as a win?

Kaladin

What if Lesnar comes out and interferes, this enrages Ryback and he runs after the retreating cowardly heel leaving Punk in the ring with the belt? Do escapes count as a win?

Hell In A Cell is only pinfall and submission. If they do a fucked up finish with no finish, that would be about as bad for the live crowd as changing it to a real match and ending with a DQ.

Ithil

Hell In A Cell is only pinfall and submission. If they do a fucked up finish with no finish, that would be about as bad for the live crowd as changing it to a real match and ending with a DQ.

Nice job writing yourself into a spectacular corner, WWE.

Kaladin

Nice job writing yourself into a spectacular corner, WWE.

Yep, either they end Punk's reign prematurely, or they end Ryback's win streak prematurely or they piss off a live crowd in one of their best cities who in some cases bought tickets as early as March.

so Cena does not have a match. im guessing he is the special ref

Cena throws out the match because Cena? Would still piss off the live crowd.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Great news:

WWE has finally completed its deal to get ahold of the Mid-South tape library. WWE negotiated a deal with Ene Watts--Bill Watts' ex-wife--and the Watts Family for around 1,200 hours of Mid-South footage from the late 1970s to the 1980s. Ene got the footage in her divorce settlement with Watts.

Jim Ross commented on the deal, saying, "If fans are able to somewhere down the road buy volumes where they can see X number of weeks of television or by the year where there's X number of episodes on a multi-disc set, they're going to see how it was like reading an action adventure book. One chapter led to the next chapter led to the next with a crescendo and then a payoff, and then the book continues."

He continued, "I think the episodic nature of it will be very entertaining, and then the other thing is there are a lot of guys who really established their body of work in that company that went on to do some really great things later in their careers on a higher level [nationally and internationally]. Seeing a young Ted DiBiase [in Mid-South], Ric Flair as the traveling NWA champion, guys like the Junkyard Dog and Butch Reed who was a great antagonist and a great protagonist — probably under-rated, by and large — and there were so many guys who came through there like the Steiner brothers and Magnum T.A. Guys like that, people will get to see their formative years, and to me it's always fun as a fan because you can see glimpses of greatness, but you can also see a little bit of green, varying levels. So there's inexperience, too, and it's unique to see how they evolved."

Via ewrestlingnews.com

pants

Well with the way Heyman and co have been mentioning Lesnar I'm about 90% confident he will be involved in such a way where punk doesnt lose and lesnar doesnt lose either.

Ithil

Yep, either they end Punk's reign prematurely, or they end Ryback's win streak prematurely or they piss off a live crowd in one of their best cities who in some cases bought tickets as early as March.

Cena throws out the match because Cena?

The only way to get out of it with all of those intact is to give the crowd one spectacular draw. I mean like Brock Lesnar destroying the Cell with a wrecking ball kind of draw.

Alucard

Banned
If there is no DQ in Hell in a Cell then I really think WWE might put the title on Ryback, or have Punk beat him with a foreign object again and again so that Punk looks strong, but Ryback does too by taking a severe beating.

This PPV is actually exciting because no one knows how it's going to end. It's streak versus streak when you think about it.

Kaladin

The best way I can figure to do it, is Brock Lesnar destroys the cell in a spectacular moment, allowing Punk to escape Ryback leaving the ref with no choice but to throw the match out.

IMO, the best thing they can do with this angle is to have Brock Lesnar going after Punk instead of helping him, and somehow the way he destroys the cell helps Punk escape....and Brock is going after Punk because of Heyman for some reason. Would be a lot better than the two working together.

Ithil

If there is no DQ in Hell in a Cell then I really think WWE might put the title on Ryback, or have Punk beat him with a foreign object again and again so that Punk looks strong, but Ryback does too by taking a severe beating.

This PPV is actually exciting because no one knows how it's going to end. It's streak versus streak when you think about it.

I will wager that they will ultimately view Punk's reign lasting til the Rumble to face Rock as more important than Ryback's streak, IF it comes down to one or the other.

Top Bottom