• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

bangai-o

Banned
tumblr_ltwtc5XSEs1qeqe13o1_500.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Is ACW where Crimson came from?

Romero Joker Sting.

I always thought he came from SAW. He was their champ but then had it stripped from him in the storyline because he signed an exclusive TNA contract but then showed back up 3 months later to beat the shit out of the new champ.

I miss SAW. I have no idea when Comcast Network shows it now. Not that it was good or anything because the shows were a month behind on tv. Like they would be promoting a "BIG" card at some racetrack that happened 2 months after it was shown on tv.

strobogo

Banned
Well, it's no wonder why everyone in the back hated him. Dressing like that put the whole business in a bad light. A business built on zubaz and fanny packs. Fedoras with sleeveless shirts, overly long shorts with lots of chains and pockets, and gloves. Fuck Miz. Terrible human. And he considers himself Mr. Fashion now? You can't escape your past, Miz. No amount of tailored suits and Maryses can change that.

jobber

Why did WCW set off fireworks for a motorcycle contest winner who may have not been watching this show. Mind you it was still daylight outside so you can't see the fireworks.

ugh.

the fuck Goldberg came out to a different theme song

I can't keep watching this shit

So shitty. They put literally all of their top (read: only) stars in one big match and the best they could do was have their champion stand on the outside and not do anything the entire match, Vince Russo take out Goldberg, and literally hand Nash the win. It was such a non event. None of the wrestlers cared, none of the crowd cared. You'd think a triple cage match with all of the top stars the company had left would be a big deal. But you'd be wrong.

I remember watching that match and wondering why Kronik and the Harris Brothers suddenly left the match. In my head I'm thinking, "The fucking WCW World Title is on the line, why are you leaving?"

It's also easy to forget Bret Hart showed up on a few WCW shows in August-September 2000 before they let his contract expire in October.

Forkball

Sandow and Bryan on commentary was fantastic. I wonder if they will do what they did in the attitude era and just swap tag titles every month with different teams.

SHarris78

Sandow is such a throwback to the late 80's early 90's, and SO always into his character and very comfortable with it. Hope WWE don't drop the ball with him.

Off to Birmingham on 5th November for the televised RAW event, can't wait!

Alucard

Banned
The Miz has come a long way, and he deserves credit for that. He is currently the best-dressed superstar on the WWE's roster, and he's carrying himself like he's a big deal. If you want people to treat you like you mean something then you need to play the part; I believe that the Miz is doing that.

strobogo

Banned
I wish I could find a pack of all the Nitros and Thunders from 2000. I watched all of 1997, 1998, and 1999 some time ago. 1999 went to shit well before Russo took charge. By March or April, they went on a massive downward slide of quality that just got worse once Russo showed up. But I want to continue the torture because I hate myself. Only been able to find random episodes or months, though.

Kyoufu

The Miz has come a long way, and he deserves credit for that. He is currently the best-dressed superstar on the WWE's roster, and he's carrying himself like he's a big deal. If you want people to treat you like you mean something then you need to play the part; I believe that the Miz is doing that.

He sucks. He is handed everything.

jobber

sms time

HYPE

Derrick Bateman is in the main event!

omg G rated brodus clay intro

radcliff

So with Ziggler getting squashed by Rybak and WWE constantly teasing us with Ziggler cashing in against either Shamus or Big Show at HITC, does anyone else think it is a swerve and Ziggler will cash in after the Punk/Rybak match? Maybe Punk loses, Rybak to attack Heyman after the match when Lesnar comes in and beats down Rybak, enter Ziggles, new champ?

jobber

oh shit Miz must have said something dumb because that was a bad edit

America vs. Cesaro! :eek:

who called this?!?

USA
USA
USA
USA

ahahah we got a "HE'S GONNA PUKE" shoutout

So with Ziggler getting squashed by Rybak and WWE constantly teasing us with Ziggler cashing in against either Shamus or Big Show at HITC, does anyone else think it is a swerve and Ziggler will cash in after the Punk/Rybak match? Maybe Punk loses, Rybak to attack Heyman after the match when Lesnar comes in and beats down Rybak, enter Ziggles, new champ?

His briefcase I only works on the whc

strobogo

Banned
You ever watch Sting/Warrior vs Bret/Hogan? Sounds like a pretty huge match, all things considered? Right? No hype given, it was made on the Nitro it happened, Warrior for some reason wrestled in jeans and never took his jacket off, was a solid 6-7 minutes of actual ring time, and pissed the fans off royally because when Warrior finally got tagged in, he it ONE clothesline on Bret and the nWo came out for DQ. Now, that would have been perfectly fine and made sense in the 80s. But by the late 90s, both companies had been running huge matches on TV for free and actually going through with them that the crowd felt totally ripped off when something like that happened.

Warrior was still blown up when he got tagged in, even though his entrance was much shorter than WWF style. He ran down to the ring, slid in, and stood on the ropes. Didn't even shake the ropes! And wasn't in wrestling gear, probably because they didn't decide to run the match until that night for real (although I have a hard time believing Hogan or Warrior would agree to a match the night of a show). It was just a fluff match to hype Halloween Havoc, which would have Hogan vs Warrior and Sting vs Bret. But it got me to thinking about Sting.

I don't think there was anyone besides Flair that was so routinely disrespected by WCW management. Until DDP and Goldberg, he was really the only true home made star WCW had. Yet they were always willing to push him aside at the drop of a hat. Hogan especially, but really any ex-WWF guy. Sting basically became a willing lackey to Hulk in 1994, despite being the only guy to keep the company afloat for the prior 4 years. Then the nWo came in, and after the crow thing ended, he was JOINING the nWo and doing tag stuff. Then the Warrior comes in and he's relegated to feuding with Bret over the US Championship and being the young, inexperienced one in a tag match with him. Plus Goldberg, but he pushed everyone to the side and it made sense. But then you had pretty much everything in 1999 and 2000 where he had stupid heel turns (and pushed aside for Hogan AGAIN), mid card feuds, pushed aside for Sid (again), and general nothingness. It kind of started with bringing in the Bulldog in 1992 and continued until WCW died. Everyone talks about how shitty they were to Flair, but they were just about as bad to Sting.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could find a pack of all the Nitros and Thunders from 2000. I watched all of 1997, 1998, and 1999 some time ago. 1999 went to shit well before Russo took charge. By March or April, they went on a massive downward slide of quality that just got worse once Russo showed up. But I want to continue the torture because I hate myself. Only been able to find random episodes or months, though.

My collection is spotty but has the majority of 2000 Nitros and some Thunders. Let me know if there's something in particular you're after.

jobber

1999 was the year of Sullivan and Nash

here's a DID YOU KNOW fact:

the lowest rated main event ever in the history of Monday Night Raw was a match between Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. HBK back in 1996 (during HBK's first prime)
Vince Russo was hired as a full time booker a week later.

Alucard

Banned
You ever watch Sting/Warrior vs Bret/Hogan? Sounds like a pretty huge match, all things considered? Right? No hype given, it was made on the Nitro it happened, Warrior for some reason wrestled in jeans and never took his jacket off, was a solid 6-7 minutes of actual ring time, and pissed the fans off royally because when Warrior finally got tagged in, he it ONE clothesline on Bret and the nWo came out for DQ. Now, that would have been perfectly fine and made sense in the 80s. But by the late 90s, both companies had been running huge matches on TV for free and actually going through with them that the crowd felt totally ripped off when something like that happened.

Warrior was still blown up when he got tagged in, even though his entrance was much shorter than WWF style. He ran down to the ring, slid in, and stood on the ropes. Didn't even shake the ropes! And wasn't in wrestling gear, probably because they didn't decide to run the match until that night for real (although I have a hard time believing Hogan or Warrior would agree to a match the night of a show). It was just a fluff match to hype Halloween Havoc, which would have Hogan vs Warrior and Sting vs Bret. But it got me to thinking about Sting.

I don't think there was anyone besides Flair that was so routinely disrespected by WCW management. Until DDP and Goldberg, he was really the only true home made star WCW had. Yet they were always willing to push him aside at the drop of a hat. Hogan especially, but really any ex-WWF guy. Sting basically became a willing lackey to Hulk in 1994, despite being the only guy to keep the company afloat for the prior 4 years. Then the nWo came in, and after the crow thing ended, he was JOINING the nWo and doing tag stuff. Then the Warrior comes in and he's relegated to feuding with Bret over the US Championship and being the young, inexperienced one in a tag match with him. Plus Goldberg, but he pushed everyone to the side and it made sense. But then you had pretty much everything in 1999 and 2000 where he had stupid heel turns (and pushed aside for Hogan AGAIN), mid card feuds, pushed aside for Sid (again), and general nothingness. It kind of started with bringing in the Bulldog in 1992 and continued until WCW died. Everyone talks about how shitty they were to Flair, but they were just about as bad to Sting.

That main event between Warrior, Hogan, Sting, and Bret sounds absolutely terrible. I can't believe that a company which had so much momentum just sputtered into irrelevancy as quickly and spectacularly as they did.

I really hope TNA doesn't tread down the same path as WCW. Right now, they're still focusing on quality wrestling, which is a comforting thought. Unfortunately, their booking decisions are still questionable at times, and their storyline development is also frequently uninteresting. For example, the Aces and Eights story right now is still quite bland. Outside of the Devon reveal, there has been almost nothing of substance to grab onto. The whole thing feels very on-the-fly and directionless. It feels like a half-baked idea that was taken out of the oven before being given the proper time to simmer. It's as if someone said, "How about we do a faction that attacks our guys randomly!" "Sounds great! Let's run with it!" "But we have to think about their motivations, how long we're going to play it out, what..." "We'll figure that out later! Let's do this!"

Oh, and poor Sting in WCW. :(

Kyoufu

1999 was the year of Sullivan and Nash

here's a DID YOU KNOW fact:

the lowest rated main event ever in the history of Monday Night Raw was a match between Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. HBK back in 1996 (during HBK's first prime)
Vince Russo was hired as a full time booker a week later.

What was the rating?

Alucard

Banned
Speaking of ratings, did we ever actually get a number for this past week's Raw? I know it was the lowest rated in 15 years or something like that, but I never saw the number.

jobber

What was the rating?

October 14, 1996: 1.8
-- Go home show for the In Your House: Buried Alive PPV, with a main event of The Undertaker vs. Mankind in a first-ever Buried Alive match
-- Vader defeated Phineas Godwinn
-- Jim Ross does an in-ring interview with Mr. Perfect, who is making his in-ring return next week on Raw after almost three years to take on Hunter Hearst Helmsley
-- Jake "The Snake" Roberts defeated Jerry "The King" Lawler
-- Promo with "The Real Double J" Jesse Jammes, who is continuing to speak out about Jeff Jarrett and how he really sang Jarrett's songs
-- Freddie Joe Floyd defeated Hunter Hearst Helmsley by countout
-- "Stone Cold" Steve Austin cuts a promo, saying that since Bret Hart won't show up to accept his challenge, he's going to beat the ass of the guy who did
-- Faarooq defeated Alex "The Pug" Porteau
-- WWF Champion Shawn Michaels defeated "Stone Cold" Steve Austin by disqualification after interference from Vader...Sid, Savio Vega, Razor Ramon (fake), and Diesel (fake) later jumped in the fight

Kaladin

This is a public service announcement from your General Manager, Mr. Sandman:

If this thread reaches critical mass (20,000 posts) before the November Wrasslin |OT| is created, please revert back to the September thread. There is plenty of room left in that to carry us through a Raw if needed. I have plans for the November thread and Informer, I just have to wait on the results of the PPV Sunday.

Your friendly General Manager,

Mr. Sandman

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
7/23 Raw: 6.02 million viewers (average)
7/30 Raw: 4.50 million viewers (average)
8/6 Raw: 4.37 million viewers (average)
8/13 Raw: 4.13 million viewers (average)
8/20 Raw: 4.48 million viewers (average)
8/27 Raw: 4.48 million viewers (average)
9/3 Raw: 4.20 million viewers (average)
9/10 Raw: 4.14 million viewers (average)
9/17 Raw: 4.1 million viewers (average)
9/24 Raw: 3.79 million viewers (average)
10/1 Raw: 3.50 million viewers (average)
10/8 Raw: 4.12 million viewers (average)
10/15 Raw: 3.98 million viewers (average)
10/22 Raw: 3.55 million viewers (average)

Top Bottom