• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

I1FbE.png

fex turned his back on this business

Like the Rock? Only comes back when he feels like it

For someone that hates The WrassleGAF Universe™, you guys sure mention G-KOG a lot.

We talk about wrestling without him, people still snitch without him, we ignore Smackdown without him, we derail the thread without him, TO HELL WITH HIM!!!

howcome he don't want us, man? *tears*

wXy5s.gif

Forkball

Ryback botched the ratings.

Hawkins should also be in Slater's jobber stable. He tries so hard to get over, but nothing works. It's pretty amazing to see how popular Ryder got when Hawkins always seems on the verge of being released.

strobogo

Banned
I think Hawkins has kept his job because no one known he's employed to begin with. Much like JTG. Until Da ROCK wanted to work with him to train for Cena. Now he's probably going to stick around until Rock no longer wants him.

The sad thing is that Hawkins is better than Ryder in every way and is actually really good.

Kyoufu

Because the NFL drew a huge ass rating? Doubtful. 3 hour RAW hasn't impacted ratings all that much.

Because USA Network is unhappy. They are panicking when viewers decline from hour 1 to hour 3. It should be the other way round.

It's not like Raw, as a lead in, really matters for the network. By the time it goes offair anything that comes after it is going to be way down.

I don't think USA are neccessarily happy, but if you look at it in terms of cold business they replaced NCIS with Raw, Raw probably gets higher ratings, and the extra hour of ad revenue probably makes up for the fall in other hours.

I don't think the 3 hours itself is the problem, although keeping the same people watching for all 3 hours clearly is.

Smackdown opener:

Big Show did an interview. Sheamus came out and went to shake Show's hand and wished him luck when Show refused the handshake. Sheamus then showed footage of Daniel Bryan beating Show to win the title when he cashed in the Money in the Bank briefcase last year. Show came back to shake Sheamus' hand, and this time Sheamus refused to shake his hand.

-1000000 buys

Because USA Network is unhappy. They are panicking when viewers decline from hour 1 to hour 3. It should be the other way round.

I don't see viewers growing from 8-11 EVER being a consistent trend with a 3 hour show. It's just too long. Every time something good happens, it's immediately followed up with a filler match/promo/segment NOBODY cares about, momentum comes to a screeching halt, and even a casual fan can sense that. It gets boring by the 3rd hour.

Hell, Raw doesn't even feel like a show, it's just a bunch of random segments held together by John Cena Brand® Never Give Up Glue™. It's rarely exciting or surprising, they don't have fun with the format or promo + match dynamics, barely anything happens in the midcard feuds, EVERY promo goes at least 5 minutes too long, etc. etc.

Is the show being 3 hours the cause for all of this? No, but it damn sure isn't helping. There's been exactly zero events in eleven 3 hour shows since July 23rd that justify adding that 3rd hour.

Kyoufu

3 hours isn't the overall problem, but it's part of the problem.

They just don't have the roster to last 3 hours. They have 1 main event guy on the show.

ONE

It should be Punk vs Orton right now. Too bad he's doing a movie.

I don't see how they improve the roster without putting more people on TV, and 3 hours makes that easier. It's too early to say for sure now, but would Bryan and Kane be in their current position if Raw was 2 hours? Would Daniel Sandow? The tag team division in general? I'm not saying it's 3 hours of constant entertainment, but Raw being longer at least offers the opportunity to elevate people more than a 2 hour show that had to have the big stars at the top of hours 1 and 2 did.

strobogo

Banned
3 hours is too much. 2 hours is usually too much. But 3 is terrible for a weekly format. It didn't work for WCW when they had 300 some wrestlers at every show. It really isn't going to work when WWE barely has 40 guys even when combining shows again.

I don't see how they improve the roster without putting more people on TV, and 3 hours makes that easier. It's too early to say for sure now, but would Bryan and Kane be in their current position if Raw was 2 hours? Would Daniel Sandow? The tag team division in general? I'm not saying it's 3 hours of constant entertainment, but Raw being longer at least offers the opportunity to elevate people more than a 2 hour show that had to have the big stars at the top of hours 1 and 2 did.

They were doing NOTHING.....NOTHING with the mid, tag, or lower card wrestlers before this tag division push. There is NO way they needed an extra hour every week to do what they've done with Kane, Bryan, or Sandow when NOTHING else was happening aside from main event angles. Even now with this tag resurgence, the US and IC champions are used in filler matches every week with any storyline advancements coming at a snail's pace.

That Cena gif :lol. Stupid smug face

I think a good rule to follow in wrestling is that the longer a segment goes, the more chance it has of failing to achieve what it was intended to do in the first place. Which is why I'm continually perplexed at the need to devote 15 minutes at the opening of almost every show to redundant in-ring promos that only serve as a set-up for matches later in the evening, or hair-brained ideas which seem to fly completely in the face of common sense, like having Big Show & Sheamus bore everyone to death with an in-ring debate when everyone knows that both those guys are utterly aimless on the mic. If they trim the fat from their segments, and show a willingness to fill more gaps with actual wrestling, there's no reason why they couldn't do the current show in 2 hours.

They were doing NOTHING.....NOTHING with the mid, tag, or lower card wrestlers before this tag division push. There is NO way they needed an extra hour every week to do what they've done with Kane, Bryan, or Sandow when NOTHING else was happening aside from main event angles. Even now with this tag resurgence, the US and IC champions are used in filler matches every week with any storyline advancements coming at a snail's pace.

That Cena gif :lol. Stupid smug face

Ryback counts as mid card :)

I just think it's hard to say for sure the extra hour of television can't help get more exposure for people who wouldn't otherwise get it. Logic would dictate it can only help.

I think a good rule to follow in wrestling is that the longer a segment goes, the more chance it has of failing to achieve what it was intended to do in the first place. Which is why I'm continually perplexed at the need to devote 15 minutes at the opening of almost every show to redundant in-ring promos that only serve as a set-up for matches later in the evening, or hair-brained ideas which seem to fly completely in the face of common sense, like having Big Show & Sheamus bore everyone to death with an in-ring debate when everyone knows that both those guys are utterly aimless on the mic. If they trim the fat from their segments, and show a willingness to fill more gaps with actual wrestling, there's no reason why they couldn't do the current show in 2 hours.

CM Punk's promo last year was 5 minutes long.

5 minutes.

Ryback counts as mid card :)

I just think it's hard to say for sure the extra hour of television can't help get more exposure for people who wouldn't otherwise get it. Logic would dictate it can only help.

They're getting exposure out of necessity to fill time. Yes that means there's a chance a few workers will be elevated, but the show, as a whole, suffers. It's not like they were so packed with content on 2 hour Raws that they needed a 3rd hour. Raw was, and still is, starved for good segments.

Also, Ryback counts for nothing. He's a bum getting the "unbeatable" push. There's been one of those every 6 months for the last 30 years. That should be a low tier angle on the show until he's moved into the actual midcard and challenges for the IC or US title. But pffffffffft, forget that, Rybotch/CM Punk feud NOW NOW NOW

CM Punk's promo last year was 5 minutes long.

5 minutes.

They're getting exposure out of necessity to fill time. Yes that means there's a chance a few workers will be elevated, but the show, as a whole, suffers. It's not like they were so packed with content on 2 hour Raws that they needed a 3rd hour. Raw was, and still is, starved for good segments.

Also, Ryback counts for nothing. He's a bum getting the "unbeatable" push. There's been one of those every 6 months for the last 30 years. That should be a low tier angle on the show until he's moved into the actual midcard and challenges for the IC or US title. But pffffffffft, forget that, Rybotch/CM Punk feud NOW NOW NOW
I'm not saying 3 hours makes it a better TV show. I'm saying that if the argument is 3 hours is too long because there's only one main event guy, the one bright side is presumably the extra time will allow more people a chance to be elevated. Personally, I am fine with three hours because I don't pay that close attention to the show and I find it usually provides enough stuff over the 3 hours for me to be entertained.

Top Bottom