• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Aiii

So not worth it
I would say that is the state of the whole wrestling business overall, TNA is drawing a fraction of what they did last year and for smackdown tour WWE might as well give those away.

That's why I'm expecting McMahon to end the brand split for good on Monday. That way they can have regular house shows again with each one having top talent instead of all their best guys being on Raw house shows. Even those on Smackdown that break through immediatly get transferred to Raw.dthis way they can use Smackdown to continue the Raw storylines and give at least a shred of interest back to that show.

But since Vince appearing is just about increasing ratings for that one night only, it will be a dud announcement of no importance, probably about AJ and Booker

BlazinAm

That's why I'm expecting McMahon to end the brand split for good on Monday. That way they can have regular house shows again with each one having top talent instead of all their best guys being on Raw house shows. Even those on Smackdown that break through immediatly get transferred to Raw.dthis way they can use Smackdown to continue the Raw storylines and give at least a shred of interest back to that show.

But since Vince appearing is just about increasing ratings for that one night only, it will be a dud announcement of no importance, probably about AJ and Booker

While I think that ending the brand split would be good for appearances I kinda question the toll it take on the guys that get added dates to their workload.

OK, folks - less than 24 hours until the best WRESTLING promotion in the world puts on their first ever international iPPV. You can either watch live, or On Demand until October 11th;

New Japan Pro-Wrestling, "NJPW 40TH ANNIVERSARY ~ KING OF PRO-WRESTLING", 08.10.2012
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

ibpHBTT4c2TRJE.jpg

Running Time - 4 hours

Start Time - 5PM JST | 10AM CET | 9AM GMT | 4AM EST | 1AM PDT

On Demand - available until October 11th at the times listed above.

Purchase - $25 live or On Demand; http://www.ustream.tv/channel/njpw1972

Card;

MANABU NAKANISHI RETURN MATCH;

01. Yuji Nagata, Strong Man & Manabu Nakanishi vs Toru Yano, Tomohiro Ishii & Takashi Iizuka

IWGP Jr. HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH;

02. Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) (c) vs Time Splitters (KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley)

IWGP Jr. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH;

03. Kota Ibushi (c) vs Low Ki

IWGP TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH;

04. TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) (c) vs Killer Elite Squad (Harry Smith & Lance Archer)

SPECIAL CHALLENGE MATCH;

05. Tetsuya Naito vs Yujiro Takahashi

TAG TEAM CONFRONTATION;

06. Togi Makabe & Wataru Inoue vs Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata

TOKYO DOME IWGP No. 1 CONTENDER MATCH;

07. Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Karl Anderson

IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH;

08. Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Hirooki Goto

IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH;

09. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki

WHAT A LINE-UP! Hot-damn, I can't wait for this and can't believe I'm finally going to get to watch a New Japan show live! Awesome. Really looking forward to Ibushi vs Low Ki re-match (here's the previous match, for those who missed it; Low Ki (c) vs Kota Ibushi - 07/29/12) and Okada vs Anderson. Hell, I'm looking forward to every match except the opener. Excited to see what Shibata & Sakuraba do, also - this is a great storyline New Japan have running at the moment, lots of history and hype. Can't wait for it to really kick into gear.

The Kevin Steen stuff sounds like ROH is desperate for some viral coverage of their product, but it could be very much real.

I think ROH are desperate to make Steen the bad guy, but it just isn't working. Also, the sheer stupidity of doing a no-contest in the main event of a market you're just returning to (and presumably one in which you want to generate interest and good will in the product for future shows) speaks more about Cornette's stubbornness than anything else. This is the story he's been pushing all year, but it isn't working - Steen's a heel more over than any face on the roster, while Cornette is playing the face executive who has the best interests of ROH at heart, when pretty much no one believes that (and many believe the exact opposite, that Cornette is running ROH into the ground). It's a cluster fuck, and they've wasted so much time trying to get the fans to hate Steen that they've damaged the build of the guys who should be the faces of the company going forward; Elgin & Cole.

Okada better win.

I think that's pretty much guaranteed - Tanahashi vs Okada III is just about the biggest match that could occur in Japan right now, so I'm certain it will main event the Tokyo Dome, come January 4th 2013.

However, as much as I love Okada and know it would make little sense for him to lose, I would really like to see Anderson rewarded with a title run at some point.

Kaladin

I must be crazy, because I'm considering going to bed early to wake up in time to see that New Japan show.....even crazier that I could probably go to bed for another two hours after it ends.

Forkball

I don't get it.

Surely the more the better?

Yeah, the contract signing promo was great (and then Cena showed up). Punk was on a roll after his first pipe bomb when it came to promos. Each one was amazing and the crowd ate it up. I have to say today's heel Punk has nailed promo after promo as well recently, a huge 180 after his bland face promos (BUT YOU WERE JUST STOOD UP AT THE ALTER).

Also it's sad to see the state ROH is in. They never really had a good deal though. I used to watch it on HDNet but then it moved around, and even HDNet was hard to find (it was like channel 9000 something). Doesn't help that a lot of their talent is getting sniped as well.

Also:

006_PUNK_08062012jg_00014.jpg

002_PUNK_08062012jg_00045.jpg

007_PUNK_08062012jg_00018.jpg

001_PUNK_08062012jg_00006.jpg

tm24

I would say that is the state of the whole wrestling business overall, TNA is drawing a fraction of what they did last year and for smackdown tour WWE might as well give those away.

The Kevin Steen stuff sounds like ROH is desperate for some viral coverage of their product, but it could be very much real.

Chikara drew 2100 over 3 nights for King of Trios. PWG fills up their building every show. It just seems that ROH has no idea what they're doing anymore.

Also, i actually dont like that Generico DVD at all. Missing his 2 best single matches against Richards and Strong and his tag stuff and singles stuff with Steen. HOnestly, just pick up the Steen DVD since you get better Generico stuff on that one

Kaladin

Kevin James is in better shape than that. My word, that was absolutely pathetic.

One a less soul-destroying topic, what does WrassleGAF reckon to these?

wnmsT.jpg

t3ZHT.jpg

http://www.amerchandise.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=3951
http://www.amerchandise.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=4533

To give context, I've not ever seen a Kevin Steen or El Generico match. The most recent Ring of Honor show I've seen is - I think - Good Times, Great Memories.

Buy them, buy them now.

Edit: Because you probably missed the most epic tag team run of the last decade, instead of the El Generico DVD I recommend:

Disc 1
1. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Tony Mamaluke & Sal Rinauro vs. Jason Blade & Kid Makaze...Fourth Anniversary Show 2/25/06
2. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Roderick Strong & Jack Evans...Best in the World 3/25/06
3. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. KENTA & Davey Richards... Time To Man Up 8/4/06
4. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Austin Aries & Roderick Strong...Unified 8/12/06
5. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Homicide & Samoa Joe...Motor City Madness 10/7/06
6. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico...FYF: Philly 2/17/07
7. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Christopher Daniels & Matt Sydal...FYF: Chicago 2/24/07
8. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. The Motor City Machine Guns...Good Times, Great Memories 4/28/07

Disc 2
1. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Matt Sydal & Claudio Castagnoli...Respect Is Earned 5/12/07
2. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico...Driven 6/23/07
3. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. SHINGO & Susumu Yokosuka...Live In Osaka 7/17/07
4. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico...Death Before Dishonor V Night 1 8/10/07
5. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico...Man Up 9/15/07
6. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black...Final Battle 2007 12/30/07
7. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Dragon Kid & Ryo Saito...Dragon Gate Challenge 3/28/08
8. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Davey Richards & Rocky Romero...Injustice 4/12/08
9. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. The Motor City Machine Guns...Return Engagement 4/19/08

Yes, you probably saw the first disc, but 2007 was the year of The Briscoe Brothers.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Tonight is random GAF 90s PPV night

Somebody stream Bad Blood 1997 tonight

Kaladin

Yep, I bought the New Japan show and plan to watch it live in the morning. Why would I do this to myself you ask? I have to go to work at 10am, which is 4 hours earlier than usual.....might as well watch some wrasslin when I'm going to be waking up early anyway.

At the All Japan show last night there was another nWo Japan reunion (after Mutoh teamed with Kevin Nash last month) - this time, Mutoh teamed with former IWGP Heavyweight Champion Scott Norton, while Masahiro Chono was at ringside;

ibqT5HNj9xrA9S.jpg

Also, Hiroshi Yamato successfully defended the Jr. Heavyweight Title against Kenny Omega, but got a tooth knocked out in the process.

Oh hey Naito's back and continues to get snubbed on title shots

Naito's not getting snubbed, and he wasn't out for very long anyway - he decided to work through his torn ACL injury, rather than getting surgery, so I'd imagine that they don't want him in any high profile matches or angles until he is 100% again.

Also, they announced a new Openweight Title for the NEVER promotion, which is like the New Japan version of NXT (although why you'd call your student promotion 'NEVER' is beyond me) and there will be a title tournament to decide the first champion next month;

iblG9VaIy34kYx.jpg

Yep, I bought the New Japan show and plan to watch it live in the morning. Why would I do this to myself you ask? I have to go to work at 10am, which is 4 hours earlier than usual.....might as well watch some wrasslin when I'm going to be waking up early anyway.

Awesome! If there's one iPPV worth waking up early for, it's probably this one.

Incidentally, in the Observer this week they noted that the NJPW iPPV for the G1 Final was the most purchased online wrestling broadcast ever (despite being just for Japanese customers) with 21,000 buys, more even than WWE's live stream of Mania.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, they announced a new Openweight Title for the NEVER promotion, which is like the New Japan version of NXT (although why you'd call your student promotion 'NEVER' is beyond me) and there will be a title tournament to decide the first champion next month;
You're telling me that he's not being snubbed then you say NJPW then tell me he's competing for the equivalent of a NXT title while Okada gets title shot after title shot ever since returning. Despite the fact that Mutoh put over Naito, and he's been there for much longer, and he's had great matches/feuds with just about everyone.

I can see them wanting him back to 100% before giving him the title, but him getting the NEVER title is about as bad as Shinsuke getting the IC championship. It's the equivalent of, 'here, you're over, but we don't want you to win the main title'

You're telling me that he's not being snubbed then you say NJPW then tell me he's competing for the equivalent of a NXT title while Okada gets title shot after title shot ever since returning. Despite the fact that Mutoh put over Naito, and he's been there for much longer, and he's had great matches/feuds with just about everyone.

I can see them wanting him back to 100% before giving him the title, but him getting the NEVER title is about as bad as Shinsuke getting the IC championship. It's the equivalent of, 'here, you're over, but we don't want you to win the main title'

Naito's probably competing in the NEVER title tournament because he wrestled for the promotion a lot over the years, but he says that while his sights are set on the IWGP Heavyweight Title, he wants the NEVER title too because he's "greedy", lol. If Naito's getting the NEVER belt, it will be entirely for the purpose of elevating one of the young lions, which is a worthwhile use of him while he's healing, imo.

Also, to be fair, Okada has only got two shots at the IWGP title - one, because he returned at a time when Tanahashi had already faced everyone else, and two (next January) because he won this year's G1. As for the Intercontinental belt, they seem to be setting that up as the gateway belt to the heavyweight championship. So the priority for title shots goes; G1 winner (which is now a briefcase with a guaranteed contract for the January 4th Tokyo Dome show, but has to also be defended by the holder) > IC champ > whoever.

BlazinAm

Just finished watching the CM Punk documentary. They cover a lot of the early days stuff and his run in ECW really well. As for CM Punk's pipebomb moment; they do a lot of talking around the situation but there is a a build up to it where they cover his loses of the WHC title really well, also the break-up of S.E.S.

BlazinAm

And absolutely no mention of New Nexus.

I found it interesting that one of issues he had with the wwe was Miz being in the main event at wrestlemania. I kinda think that the reason why he got New Nexus was because he had such a good run with S.E.S, which was all him.

never post in here as it to much talk about WWE/TNA.

But I am excited to be watching the New Japan iPPV tomorrow. Stacked card no doubt!

Shame I gonna have to watch the VOD as working tomorrow. Gonna stay away from puro sites though so I dont know any of the results.

strobogo

Banned
But after teaming for a while. Batista can keep needling Brock about how he's undefeated until Brock can't handle it anymore. And then the MMA Powers EXPLODE!

never post in here as it to much talk about WWE/TNA.

But I am excited to be watching the New Japan iPPV tomorrow. Stacked card no doubt!

Shame I gonna have to watch the VOD as working tomorrow. Gonna stay away from puro sites though so I dont know any of the results.

Hey, WWE has Japanese wrestlers wrestler.

Top Bottom