• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin |OT| Are you a Kane guy? Hell NO! I'm the tag team champions!

Kaladin

I have to credit New Japan on this iPPV stream. It's coming from Japan and I can't tell the difference from this or watching it on broadcast television. Their quality puts most US indies to shame (I'm looking at you Ring of Honor and CZW).

Yeah, the quality is excellent, but I wouldn't expect any less from the top company in Japan.

Goto/Nakamura was cool, although Nakamura took a ton of damage - that top rope neck breaker over the knee should be a match ender.

Bit of info on the story of the main event;

"The term they keep using in this video is "Puroresu Gottou," which is basically a term Suzuki threw at Tanahashi to essentially call him a pretty boy, fake champion. Suzuki says Tanahashi makes pro-wrestling look weak, etc, etc."

Looking forward to this - their match at Wrestle Kingdom in January was great.

Kaladin

Bit of info on the story of the main event;

"The term they keep using in this video is "Puroresu Gottou," which is basically a term Suzuki threw at Tanahashi to essentially call him a pretty boy, fake champion. Suzuki says Tanahashi makes pro-wrestling look weak, etc, etc."

Looking forward to this - their match at Wrestle Kingdom in January was great.

So Tanahashi is the Japanese Cena.....got it.

Awesome counter of the dragon screw into a sleeper! This match is great. Perfect example of how to make a big main event without having to do a ton of moves.

Kaladin

Great main event there, I'm going to have to start watching more New Japan.

Definitely watch this show for Ibushi vs Low Ki, Okada vs Anderson and Tanahashi vs Suzuki......the rest of the card is good too.

Odds overcome, I expected nothing less (but they made me think that perhaps there might be an upset on more than one occasion). Excellent match and a great way to close New Japan's first international iPPV.

Tanahashi/Suzuki, Nakamura/Goto & Okada/Anderson were well worth the price of admission, but I really enjoyed Ibushi/Ki, Forever Hooligans/Time Splitters & TenKoji/Killer Elite too. Also, the Sakuraba & Shibata tag match was really fun, because it had that old unpredictable New Japan feel reminiscent of the 90's era.

*edit, looks like Yujiro is the next challenger!

Also, awesome wrestling in-bound;

Kota Ibushi (c) vs El Generico - (DDT 09/30/12)

Kaladin

Odds overcome, I expected nothing less (but they made me think that perhaps there might be an upset on more than one occasion). Excellent match and a great way to close New Japan's first international iPPV.

Tanahashi/Suzuki, Nakamura/Goto & Okada/Anderson were well worth the price of admission, but I really enjoyed Ibushi/Ki, Forever Hooligans/Time Splitters & TenKoji/Killer Elite too. Also, the Sakuraba & Shibata tag match was really fun, because it had that old unpredictable New Japan feel reminiscent of the 90's era.

*edit, looks like Yujiro is the next challenger!

Also, awesome wrestling in-bound;

Kota Ibushi (c) vs El Generico - (DDT 09/30/12)

Tanahasi vs Okada still seems like the big money match for Wrestle Kingdom though.

Edit: I still remember Ibushi vs Generico in Ring Of Honor.

Apparently the iPPV did 51,720 buys - the previous record was set by the G1 finals, and was the most watched online wrestling broadcast ever, until today!

Awesome stuff, and hopefully this success means New Japan will be putting on more iPPVs in the future. Next potential iPPV is 'Power Struggle' on 11/11, with these matches looking likely;

Low Ki (c) vs Prince Devitt
- IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship Match
Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima
- IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match
Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Yujiro Takahashi
- IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match

Kaladin

Apparently the iPPV did 51,720 buys - the previous record was set by the G1 finals, and was the most watched online wrestling broadcast ever, until today!

Awesome stuff, and hopefully this success means New Japan will be putting on more iPPVs in the future. Next potential iPPV is 'Power Struggle' on 11/11, with these matches looking likely;

Low Ki (c) vs Prince Devitt
- IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship Match
Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima
- IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match
Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Yujiro Takahashi
- IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match

Hopefully they'll get enough success to at least hire an English announce team for the US stream.

Hopefully they'll get enough success to at least hire an English announce team for the US stream.

I guess it would depend on how many of those buys were international and how many were domestic. Still, it would be nice to have English commentary - they have more than enough gaijin wrestlers on the roster who could perhaps provide commentary, and I'm sure a few of the Japanese wrestlers must speak some English (TAKA for instance, who was there tonight despite not wrestling).

*edit, apparently the 51,779 buys were domestic only - no word on how the international version sold.

Gathering some 2001 Indie Shows to watch (and hopefully Japanese/Lucha ones if I can).

Currently have:

01.31.01 - OVW - Christmas Chaos 2001
02.24.01 - ECWA - Super 8
02.28.01 - CZW - Destruction in Dover
03.10.01 - CZW - War at Station 44
03.17.01 - CZW - Enter The Zone
09.01.01 - IWA - Barbed Wire, Bombs & Blood (seemingly has a really horrible lawnmower match?!)
10.27.01 - APW - King of the Indies Tournament 2001
11.24.01 - IWA - MS Eyes Wide Open danger
12.15.01 - CZW - Cage of Death III

Probably missing some notable ones. This is me basically putting the Bootaaay Beacon up into the clouds!

Not really a huge fan of Death Match wrestling, but it appears that these are the only shows still available. Also, they have a lot of good indie talent that actual wrestle!

Kaladin

Gathering some 2001 Indie Shows to watch (and hopefully Japanese/Lucha ones if I can).

Currently have:

01.31.01 - OVW - Christmas Chaos 2001
02.24.01 - ECWA - Super 8
02.28.01 - CZW - Destruction in Dover
03.10.01 - CZW - War at Station 44
03.17.01 - CZW - Enter The Zone
09.01.01 - IWA - Barbed Wire, Bombs & Blood (seemingly has a really horrible lawnmower match?!)
10.27.01 - APW - King of the Indies Tournament 2001
11.24.01 - IWA - MS Eyes Wide Open danger
12.15.01 - CZW - Cage of Death III

Probably missing some notable ones. This is me basically putting the Bootaaay Beacon up into the clouds!

Not really a huge fan of Death Match wrestling, but it appears that these are the only shows still available. Also, they have a lot of good indie talent that actual wrestle!

You have most of the bases covered from my knowledge of the indies that far back. This was before Ring of Honor or Chikara were even founded, and it looks to me like you're hitting the major ones that were around then.

Kaladin

According to pwinsider, having Eric Bischoff play the Aces & Eights mouthpiece on Impact was more of a red herring than a clue to who the leader will be.

I think it makes perfect sense to unperm frank, maybe not unban him since he still broke the rules at the time, but to be permed for a defunct rule would really suck. Also the news of loosing up OT gaf is great.

hgkWZh.jpg

Ringside seats at Raw World Tour in Spokane were great last night, with my son being picked to dance with the Funkadactyls, triple-threat Eve-Kaitlyn-Layla match, and Kane/D-Bry vs. Kofi/R-Truth being the absolute highlight.

Sure, we're in Bryan's home state, but you really get a sense of how much people love him (Yes! No!) in person, and he's clearly having a lot of fun with it. That doesn't carry over quite as much on TV. Also, Punk plays the heel that everyone actually loves quite well.

And AJ in her black Chucks opened up the show, and set up the Punk/Big Show steel-cage match at the end. Still lots of dumb skipping, though.

Photoset: http://imgur.com/a/8QNgD#0

Video of the boy (in the Punk shirt) with the Funkadactyls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCpky8hz034

pants

Why was the old steel cage phased out anyway? I liked having both the steel cage and the wcw style cell.

strobogo

Banned
Because the old one was more dangerous and has zero give to it, so guys would always be getting hurt when they got thrown into it. It was also much heavier and took longer to set up.

jmdajr

Ringside seats at Raw World Tour in Spokane were great last night, with my son being picked to dance with the Funkadactyls, triple-threat Eve-Kaitlyn-Layla match, and Kane/D-Bry vs. Kofi/R-Truth being the absolute highlight.

pretty sweet dude! Thanks for sharing.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Sure, we're in Bryan's home state, but you really get a sense of how much people love him (Yes! No!) in person, and he's clearly having a lot of fun with it. That doesn't carry over quite as much on TV. Also, Punk plays the heel that everyone actually loves quite well.

And AJ in her black Chucks opened up the show, and set up the Punk/Big Show steel-cage match at the end. Still lots of dumb skipping, though.

Photoset: http://imgur.com/a/8QNgD#0

Video of the boy (in the Punk shirt) with the Funkadactyls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCpky8hz034

How many peeps were there? Decent turn out?

tm24

*edit, apparently the 51,779 buys were domestic only - no word on how the international version sold.
Damn, even if its jsut domestic, thats still double their past best. Gonna watch the ppv later today inbetween classes. Should be great

Sokantish

I can't believe you guys stayed up so late to watch it! Couldn't you have watched it on demand?

Kaladin

The fan-favorite mode is back, with brand-new features that make it bigger and better than ever.

For months we've been telling you about one of WWE '13's biggest and most impressive features, the all-new "Attitude Era" Mode. But for much of our community, they've been waiting to hear about a beloved returning feature. Well, the wait is finally over, and we're ready to reveal details about WWE '13's Universe Mode 3.0!

Universe Mode is back and better than ever, with a slew of options, features and brand new content that gives you more freedom than ever before - along with the expert guidance of none other than the Voice of the Voice of the Voiceless himself, Paul Heyman. Check out the video below or on the official WWE Games YouTube page, then make sure to scroll down for more in-depth details and screengrabs of Universe Mode 3.0 in action!

Create a Show

Players now have the freedom to create their own shows while scheduling which day they appear on, from Monday through Saturday. In their show creation process, players will be able to choose the presentation graphics, the arena, which rosters appear on the show, and assign up to four Championships to be contested over.

Create a Pay-Per-View

In addition to custom shows, players can also create a Pay-Per-View that can be held on any Sunday. Along with choosing the presentation graphics and arena, players can choose which shows participate in the Pay-Per-View, as well as the match-type theme.

Statistics

Players can now view various championship and show statistics within their WWE Universe. Containing both historical statistics and statistics that update as your WWE Universe progresses, players can try to further one Superstar’s championship reign or try to beat it.

Storylines

Superstars will enter into feuds against each other as part of a rivalry, while competing for #1 contender rights for a championship title, and more. Take part in 200 new storyline feuds and choose which Superstars stand out in your Universe.

More Content, More Freedom

Many improvements and other additions have been made to Universe, such as more matches per show and the freedom to edit whole match cards, customizable championship rankings, and the ability to restart your Universe from the beginning.

Yes.....they greatly improved Universe mode and I think I can now do the Ring of Honor show that I wanted to do last year with it. Awesome. They also make it easier to book an e-fed inside Universe mode too.

Branching%202.jpg

Branching%201.jpg

McNei1y

Oh cool. I guess She-Kane will betray me again at some point.

I wonder if I'll be able to get my SoulPlaya title match?

In ROH news, PWInsider is reporting that Jim Cornette is gone as booker of the company, but will stay on to work behind the scenes and on-screen - the reins have now been handed solely to Delirious, who was booker for a short while between the Pearce & Cornette eras.

Also, in regards to poor Frankman, from the cunt thread;

"His ban was reduced to one month before this decision was made."

Sokantish said:
I think it started 2 my time, but going back and reading your guys reactions kind of makes me want to watch it. KIND OF

DO IT. I don't want to oversell the show, but I'd say it's probably the best PPV I've seen all year, and the main event is a definite top 5 match of the year contender.

Top Bottom