• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

miserable

rick1zhbq5.gif

klonere

Banned
Is wrestling watchable again or nah?

If you mean Raw, then no it's never been as bad since I started watching. Maybe pre-WM with Roman's beanstalk promo run but otherwise, the worst.

Just look up all the New Day segments and your done,

NJPW just put on a good show and NXT is solid if unspectacular and should be getting real good soon I think.

Menome

Is wrestling watchable again or nah?

As a newcomer, it's been patchy. I still watch each week's RAW, but sometimes it's an in-the-background quality as opposed to being good enough to do nothing else but watch it.

There are somegenuinely good bits though, John Cena's U.S. Championship Open Challenges, anything with The New Day and the first few Kevin Owens matches have been highlights over the past several months.

imBask

Banned
Are you insane? We have Big Show, Kane and Mark Henry, bro

Also don't forget about the new Diva's champ, Rick Flair's daughter, and that, thanks to her, we're often seeing Rick Flair's daughter's father, Rick Flair on RAW.

Ric*

well at least we get to play "how drunk is Ric Flair" every week now

NoRéN

Yo, Senor Bootaaay,

you got a list of wrestlers to watch? People you got money on being the next big thing? Or people who's work you just can't help but enjoy way too much?

Guessing Zack Saber Jr. is in there?

klonere

Banned
Seriously, someone watch that Barbaro Cavernario vs Triton match I posted a couple of pages back - real fun match. Probably close to my top five lucha matches of the year.

7rf0aIW.gif

I took a look at it. I like the hairy guy. He looks like the Briscoe's estranged Mexican cousin. Which would be an incredibly awkward family reunion. I liked the match a lot, even if I don't really "get" lucha quite yet. The CMLL mic'ing of the ring is super weird. I'd probably have to give it another full watch it was lot of new stuff to take in.

How that isn't the counter to every sunset flip ever I will never know.

DMczaf

Man, these Lapsed Fan podcasts from the 96-97 era are rough for Bret Hart. It's crazy how close he was to Vince and WWE, to the point of turning down a WCW 3 year $9M contract because he was so loyal to the company and Vince, and then getting stabbed in the back with Vince's Masamune

Fox318

Man, these Lapsed Fan podcasts from the 96-97 era are rough for Bret Hart. It's crazy how close he was to Vince and WWE, to the point of turning down a WCW 3 year $9M contract because he was so loyal to the company and Vince, and then getting stabbed in the back with Vince's Masamune

It was all part of Vince's plan to screw Bret after 1992.

"Patterson get in here!!! Tell Bret we will pay him $500,000 over 20 years"

DMczaf

When they got to the part where Bret got his 20 year contract and it was drastically different from the one Bret and Vince agreed upon, I wasn't surprised at all.

Especially wasn't surprised by the excuse, "Oops, we sent the wrong version by accident!"

Liquidsnake, you're up.

Thank you. *clears throat*

Was Flair a good wrestler back in the day or just a good show?

He was and always will be the best wrestler of the last 30 years. He was responsible for entire territories, he carried the NWA on his back. Dragging classic matches out of jabronies, while make good talent legends.

Maybe the best salesman on the mic ever in the business.

has probably had more 5 star matches than any other wrestler in history. He was a ring tactician, whose psychology was second to none, timing was second to none, and treated every match as if it was the most important in the world.

Listen to Ricky Steamboat on Flairs podcast, he talks about a match that was non televised, and went close to an hour with Ric. He thinks it was the best match they had that no one saw. And how Flair was really gods gift to wrestling with his mind, timing, and body, and that match was an example of why.

When you talk about all phases of the game, the complete and total package, there will never be another Ric Flair, he was as close to perfect as you can get.

Wrestling 1 hour broadways every night was nothing for him, it was like breathing.

Fox318

When they got to the part where Bret got his 20 year contract and it was drastically different from the one Bret and Vince agreed upon, I wasn't surprised at all.

Especially wasn't surprised by the excuse, "Oops, we sent the wrong version by accident!"

Crazy part is Vince said the same thing after Punk was let go.

Looks like Vince took Warren Sapp's advise and always had a fall guy.

klonere

Banned

There's gonna be this guy called Austin in 97...

Was Flair a good wrestler back in the day or just a good show?

You know if stro was around and not in one of his moods he could probably give the best answer to this.

From what I've seen (Rumble 92, 96 Nitros, some random NWA stuff) he's a pretty fantastic wrestler who perfected a few spots that never really seemed to wear thin and surrounded it with explosive charisma and sound fundamentals. I mean Austin considers him the best ever so?

Does anyone have a rebuttal to Liquidsnake's hypothesis or have all those that disagree been banned?

How can it be argued? Spend an afternoon on the E, and watch Chi town rumble.

The guy was so good, that the only person I have seen who came close was probably Shawn.

But I think Austin was more important than Shawn, but Im talking A-Z.

Shawn pulled 5 stars when his opponent had no business having one with him.
I have a lot of repect for him, even though hes not one of my favs.

Top Bottom