• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

NoRéN;180368216 said:
Yo, Senor Bootaaay,

you got a list of wrestlers to watch? People you got money on being the next big thing? Or people who's work you just can't help but enjoy way too much?

Guessing Zack Saber Jr. is in there?

Yep, Zack's one of my favourites to watch;

Zack Sabre Jr.
Will Ospreay
Jimmy Havoc
Marty Scurll
Tommy End
Sasa Keel
Mark Haskins
Axel Dieter Jr.
Rampage Brown
Big Damo O'Connor
Dave Mastiff
Ilja Dragunov

These guys are either at the top of their game or just now getting to show their full talents and that's just the tip of the iceberg, there's so many talented wrestlers in Europe these days. Another one to watch out for is Pastor William Eaver, he's only a year or so into his career but he's already showing a lot of potential, has a good look, gets it character and promo-wise, etc.

I haven't been watching as much US indie stuff this year, but I've been impressed with Speedball Mike Bailey, he's not all there yet but is a ton of fun to watch. Also, Dalton Castle in ROH is the man, just some amazing character work, some surprising mat-skills and one of the most deceptively strong guys on the indies. If ROH don't fuck it up, he can be big for them.

Tracy Williams is another name worth keeping an eye on, he's doing some good stuff with Tyson Dux (a veteran Canadian indie wrestler who's criminally overlooked) and is a fantastic grappler - I'd expect him to have a more prominent role in 2016, as he's part of Drew Gulak's 'Catch Point' submission wrestling stable in EVOLVE.

Japan-wise, I'd say Kento Miyahara's the stand-out emerging talent at present, he's a potential company ace but is only going to be held back by the sorry state of AJPW these days. I've also been pretty impressed with T-Hawk in Dragon Gate - he's not all there yet, they tried to set him up as a new ace and the audience didn't fully buy it, but he's got a ton of potential. Kazuki Hashimoto is awesome every time I see him, I'd expect big things from him in BJW and hopefully beyond.

Lastly, there's a few Mexican flippy dudes I really like - La Sombra is just a phenomenal talent, Rush is a goddamn star in every way, Barbaro Cavernario is probably the luchadore I enjoy watching the most at present and Dragon Lee is crazy impressive as well. Flamita will hopefully be a big name once he starts with AAA as well, he's done real good in his Dragon Gate tours.

Does anyone have a rebuttal to Liquidsnake's hypothesis or have all those that disagree been banned?

Flair was the last and the least of the great touring NWA Champions - that's not to say he wasn't a great wrestler or a great champion, because he was. He just wasn't as good as Harley, Brisco, Thesz or even Dory Funk Jr. A better character perhaps, for a more modern era of NWA wrestling, but he wasn't the technician those guys were and a lot of the stuff that gets attributed to Flair (making towns, making names, going broadway) was part and parcel of being the NWA Champion. If you couldn't do that on a weekly basis, you didn't hold the belt for long.

Does anyone have a rebuttal to Liquidsnake's hypothesis or have all those that disagree been banned?

ricflairmug1.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Flair and his friends booked him to win the titles as much as possible. He was never the best wrestler when he was active. Harley was better, Terry Funk was better and had a massive international fanbase, Nick Bockwinkel was better AND Bockwinkel actually helped other guys get over and get better.

Flair helped Flair.

Flair was the last and the least of the great touring NWA Champions - that's not to say he wasn't a great wrestler or a great champion, because he was. He just wasn't as good as Harley, Brisco, Thesz or even Dory Funk Jr. A better character perhaps, for a more modern era of NWA wrestling, but he wasn't the technician those guys were and a lot of the stuff that gets attributed to Flair (making towns, making names, going broadway) was part and parcel of being the NWA Champion. If you couldn't do that on a weekly basis, you didn't hold the belt for long.

They couldn't even hold a candle to Flair on the mic or in the ring Bootaaay.

And probably didn't draw like he did.

Flair and his friends booked him to win the titles as much as possible. He was never the best wrestler when he was active. Harley was better, Terry Funk was better and had a massive international fanbase, Nick Bockwinkel was better AND Bockwinkel actually helped other guys get over and get better.

Flair helped Flair.

When you say stuff like this, you lose a little credibility.

Flair was chosen to lead for a reason,l because he was the most important champion in the history of wrestling. The entire country depended on him.

Think about that, the entire country, the entire business of wrestling depended on him for a decade.

klonere

Banned
Found RealHero's non Dailymotion account, godbless.

Holy shit AJPW just go from one horribly depressing venue to the next. They really must be struggling.

They couldn't even hold a candle to Flair on the mic or in the ring Bootaaay.

Harley's better than Flair all-round. He, Jack Brisco, Lou Thesz & Dory Funk Jr. were all superior wrestlers and could've wrestled rings around a guy like Flair. Thesz, especially.

And probably didn't draw like he did.

C'mon, now. There's a reason they call the 50's ~ 60's the "golden era" of wrestling.

imBask

Banned
everything you're saying about Ric Flair (except the regional stuff) is also applicable to HHH, how about that

HHH was a great wrestler
a great champ
part of some of the biggest teams, including DX which helped win the monday night war

on your knees dawg

Sephzilla

everything you're saying about Ric Flair (except the regional stuff) is also applicable to HHH, how about that

HHH was a great wrestler
a great champ
part of some of the biggest teams, including DX which helped win the monday night war

on your knees dawg

ehhhhhhh

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

HHH was a great wrestler
a great champ

on your knees dawg

was close with the bookers so made sure he won the title a lot

jmdajr

HHH was a great wrestler
a great champ

on your knees dawg

absolutely

Fox318

HHH was a great wrestler
a great champ

on your knees dawg

Nyj9cWz.jpg

imBask

Banned
don't gimme that look, HHH was the biggest heel of all time and you hated him so much when you were young that you're now all convinced he was a "bad guy"

your favorite babyface would've never existed without him

don't gimme that look, HHH was the biggest heel of all time and you hated him so much when you were young that you're now all convinced he was a "bad guy"

Shelton Benjamin is my favorite babyface?!

Fox318

many many people hated him so much they changed the channel.

Plus you know some Babyfaces never got the chance to get over.

Its like HHH wanted to be Ric but never understood that at the end of the day Ric would put guys over.

HHH didn't understand that until 2005 and even after that he seems to have forgotten it.

Thanks.

At first I was too young to actually judge quality, and, later on, when I actually got into wrestling, he wasn't at his prime anymore. I've always thought he was doing a good job for a man of his age, but didn't (still don't) know enough to formulate an opinion other than "He can talk"

I'll try to catch up

Do you have WWE network?
if not youtube does have some fantastic stuff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, someone watch that Barbaro Cavernario vs Triton match I posted a couple of pages back - real fun match. Probably close to my top five lucha matches of the year.

It's very good. Cavernario has such a good unique look, every time someone takes a chance on watching a match (which the matches both you and Data consistently post are never gambles to me) they are easy fans of him - no disrespect intended for Triton, but Cavernario has such a fun and wild look.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New Table for 3 tonight with little Danny Bryan, Ryback, and shitty Dolph Ziggler. Talk about the IC title. Should be interesting. I like their format a ton for this show.

Fox318

New Table for 3 tonight with little Danny Bryan, Ryback, and shitty Dolph Ziggler. Talk about the IC title. Should be interesting. I like their format a ton for this show.

I know they want to use Bryan but he was a 1 time champ who got the belt so a hometown crowd didn't riot.

Wouldn't Curtis Axel, Y2J, or Wade Barrett be better in that seat?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;180374186 said:
I expect dolph to overpower everyone else in conversation :\

It'll be the first time in a long time he's overpowered anything

klonere

Banned
What would their reaction be when watching the Booker T program?

I've seen the promo.

It's a good promo but, it's not good. It is a very bad thing. I recognize heels gotta be heels but that whole approach is just too much. I want to believe that they are just playing characters but man, it just cuts too deep. Too deep.

imBask

Banned
I know they want to use Bryan but he was a 1 time champ who got the belt so a hometown crowd didn't riot.

Wouldn't Curtis Axel, Y2J, or Wade Barrett be better in that seat?

Jericho would talk about Fozzy and how great Fozzy is and the belt is actually an homage to Fozzy

Curtis Axel would confuse the viewers, googling the name of one of the guy at the table is not good for ratings

King* Barrett would've been an ok choice

Fox318

I've seen the promo.

It's not good. It is a very bad thing. I recognize heels gotta be heels but that whole approach is just too much. And as much as I want to believe that they are characters on a TV show, I want to believe that they are just playing characters but man, it just cuts too deep. Too deep.

Except I think he could have said that if you know.... Booker T went over.

But HHH needed that belt for the memorable Kevin Nash feud that would follow.

Top Bottom