• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Ithil

The football OT ("soccer") covers a whole host of leagues from all over the world! How on earth do they manage? What a mess it must be, oh my stars.

Think of all those poor overworked middle fingers spinning the dreaded wheel of torture. What kind of man would condemn others to scroll down a webpage?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
9BFtEPL.gif

klonere

Banned
NoRéN;180989132 said:
True.

Did that dude who made the Rosa Mendes anchor baby "joke" get as much shit?
Did anyone care when someone said that Charlotte was ugly and was lucky to have a famous father?

I'm pretty sure the former got banned.

NoRéN;180989132 said:
True.

Did anyone care when someone said that Charlotte was ugly and was lucky to have a famous father?

Kaladin? Yeah everyone gave him shit and he was banned for it. As for Charlotte the "ugly" criticisms have gone down but her gimmick makes it hard to not make Ric Flair mentions.

Nekofrog

Banned
Nekofrog, which era of wrestling is your favorite and why?

I don't have a favorite era. There's lots of stuff that I enjoy throughout the various eras, including the pre attitude, ruthless aggression, and pg era. I don't think that blood and swearing is necessary to be good (though blood in insanely hot grudge feuds can add to the dramatics). I appreciate hard work in the ring and on the mic equally. I can suspend my disbelief for miles as long as the entertainment is there.

Kornflayx

NoRéN;180989132 said:
True.

It's still baffling to me that Gonzalez was around for so long despite making abortion jokes about Kharma and wanting Darren Wilson to show up to shoot the New Day. Yeah, that was fun, wasn't it?

bjork

Kaladin? Yeah everyone gave him shit and he was banned for it. As for Charlotte the "ugly" criticisms have gone down but her gimmick makes it hard to not make Ric Flair mentions.

Just by being his daughter, his name would come up. It happened with David too, and would've with Reid. Props to them for not giving her some dumbass name to try and distance her from it like they did with Davey and Perfect's kids.

What's the opinion on Don Muraco/Magnificent Muraco?

Slightly before my era, seems like a meathead. I like Fuji Vice.

NoRéN

I'm pretty sure the former got banned.

Damn, I think there was more than one person making anchor baby comments.

Charlotte criticisms regarding the rick flair gimmick are valid. But, her being attractive or not have nothing to do with that.

It's still baffling to me that Gonzalez was around for so long despite making abortion jokes about Kharma and wanting Darren Wilson to show up to shoot the New Day. Yeah, that was fun, wasn't it?
Jesus fuck!

Zach

I don't have a favorite era. There's lots of stuff that I enjoy throughout the various eras, including the pre attitude, ruthless aggression, and pg era. I don't think that blood and swearing is necessary to be good (though blood in insanely hot grudge feuds can add to the dramatics). I appreciate hard work in the ring and on the mic equally. I can suspend my disbelief for miles as long as the entertainment is there.

I read "hot grudge feuds" as "hot fudge feuds".

But our mutual appreciation of good wrestling is what binds us, sir. I like what you like. My hand is touching your hand.

Anyway, did you watch the Monday Night Wars? Did you main WWF or WCW? Sounds like you're a WWF guy. Ever flip back and forth? Any one angle that caught your attention from the competition? Earlier in the thread I touched on being a WCW guy but loving the hostile Austin/Michaels tag team run. Anything like that with you?

Now hold on a second playa, Gonzalez was no quality poster but that Darren Wilson comment was made by simplythebest (worst), and he was banned immediately

Mean Gene is never legit shook. He kept straight faces during Macho Man and Warrior interviews.

Mean Gene is the real Stone Cold.

That's why he's the greatest wrestling interviewer who ever lived

Still, at the end there he looked like he needed a second after Jake was done spitting hot fire.

Darren Wilson guy was simplythebest, who is still gone

JavyOO7

If Nash wasn't the one to had defeated Goldberg then who else could have done it...

It was my perception that Booker T, Chris Benoit, and Raven were really over the fans during 97-98. I don't remember how over they were in Starrcade '98 though, to be honest. But if they were booked right... I would have had one of them beat Goldberg. Or maybe he didn't have to lose at all ever? But if he did had to, I would choose one of those three. Or maybe even Chris Jericho because he had all those funny/silly rants that ultimately lead to nowhere.

klonere

Banned

You need to give us your fav 5 wrestlers of ALL TIME babay.

Tis' tradition.

Nekofrog

Banned
I read "hot grudge feuds" as "hot fudge feuds".

But our mutual appreciation of good wrestling is what binds us, sir. I like what you like. My hand is touching your hand.

Anyway, did you watch the Monday Night Wars? Did you main WWF or WCW? Sounds like you're a WWF guy. Ever flip back and forth? Any one angle that caught your attention from the competition? Earlier in the thread I touched on being a WCW guy but loving the hostile Austin/Michaels tag team run. Anything like that with you?

I didn't main much, I was a remote switching fence sitter. Nitro for the first hour, raw for the second. Or if Tony was giving away results that sounded fun, that would also be an instant switch. First hour of nitro almost always got the in ring itch, second hour of raw was for the main event players on the mic.

Unless ralphus was on screen, then the tv was always on ralphus.

bjork

He was probably thinking "if he ever wants to do my job, I'm probably in deep trouble." This promo is so great.

If Nash wasn't the one to had defeated Goldberg then who else could have done it...

It was my perception that Booker T, Chris Benoit, and Raven were really over the fans during 97-98. I don't remember how over they were in Starrcade '98 though, to be honest. But if they were booked right... I would have had one of them beat Goldberg. Or maybe he didn't have to lose at all ever? But if he did had to, I would choose one of those three. Or maybe even Chris Jericho because he had all those funny/silly rants that ultimately lead to nowhere.

No one was in a position to beat him clean, I think that's why they did it the way they did. Everyone's got these ego theories and whatever, but they wrote him into a corner just like Vince did with Warrior. At some point, no one will believe a guy beating a dude who's shredded the entire roster with very little trouble. So really, you could've done the whole stun gun thing with anyone.

But then, Goldberg's gonna get his revenge, so do you want to see him clobber a big guy or someone on par with a slew of guys he already destroyed?

Zach

Booker T would've made sense as he was projected as a top face.

Benoit would've been cool. It would've needed to be a feud where Benoit tries and fails a couple of times throughout a few months and then through sheer determination overcomes Goldberg and ends the streak. Goldberg shows him big upz, the two hug, both stay over as big time faces.

Raven, who I really liked, I don't think would've been a good choice.

Jake's leg movement during his DDT is underrated

iXG2M9HZGaxdM_medium.gif

jF5fFo.gif

mfn8Y4L.gif

The kick is what makes it

NoRéN;180991406 said:
Shit, am I the only person that didn't get to watch much WCW in its heyday?

WCW died about 2 years before I got into wrasslin.

Zach

I didn't main much, I was a remote switching fence sitter. Nitro for the first hour, raw for the second. Or if Tony was giving away results that sounded fun, that would also be an instant switch. First hour of nitro almost always got the in ring itch, second hour of raw was for the main event players on the mic.

Unless ralphus was on screen, then the tv was always on ralphus.

This honestly was probably the best way to watch the Monday Night Wars. Even the Ralphus bit because '98 Jericho was the best.

klonere

Banned
Jake's leg movement during his DDT is underrated

iXG2M9HZGaxdM_medium.gif

jF5fFo.gif

mfn8Y4L.gif

The kick is what makes it

WCW died about 2 years before I got into wrasslin.

I wonder what the most over move (In its day) of all time is

Ones I can think of

1) DDT
2) Stunner
3) RKO
4) Spear
5) People's Elbow
6) Style Clash

It's not WWE's fault the other feds can't hack it. We have separate threads for everything else like the different football leagues. Don't feel like retyping my post above. Nobody responded to the points made in it (last paragraph).
Well good news: I'm about to. Also a pre-emptive fuck you for making me have to waste my "serious post" quota this month.
I'm shootin'

* I've felt this way for weeks now and eventualyl you all will too but New Day legit sucks. They're corny, lame, and try way too hard. New Day would be ok if they were on once every 2-3 weeks doing this schtick but they're on multiple times per week. It's cringe inducing, sorry it is. You'll all come to the same conclusion eventually but you're marks that think you're smarks so itll take a while longer.

The pot calling the kettle black here. You're the biggest mark on this entire goddamned forum, and you have the nerve to say what we are/aren't going to like? Fuck outta here.

* The wrasslin thread is a pain in the butt to read when half of the posts are about some horrible low budget Boootay fed or NJPWDRAGONGATEALLJAPANPRO junk. I have to scroll by half the page.

Oh boo-hoo, poor Heavy doesn't want to read about the great stuff Bootaaay posts. You know, stuff he willingly posts during his free time about something he's passionate about. The thread isn't made to cater to your tastes, we're not monkeys here for your enjoyment, and not everything is about YOU, motherfucker. Others happen to like the other feds that get posted, so you can deal with it or stop reading. Nobody misses your dumbass posts anyways except Sunflower, but only because he's a glutton for punishment.

If yall weren't so weirdly stubborn and possessive over this thread and didn't tattle to mods over every little thing (this actually happens for any newcomers in the thread) you would make a separate WWE OT instead of combining all these different feds into one. Do we do that with other sports and media things? No. We separate MLS and the European soccer leagues, Marvel and DC OTs, College football and NFL, you name it, so why do i have to wade through all this crap just to read discussion on WWE? It doesn't make any sense. If College football, NFL, CFL, Lingerie FL, and all the others were together in one thread it would be disastrous. So why is all the wrestling into one? Have a WWE thread and then a Bootay thread. Simple as that. Maybe I'll make one myself. Mods inbox would get full tho
This suggestion is so close-minded I don't even know where to begin. Wrestling right now is pretty much WWE, and then everybody else. Not very many feds aside from them are popular, so the thread idea you're proposing just wouldn't work. Those other threads don't even relate to the shoddy point you tried to make, particularly the Marvel/DC comparison. Sit down before you hurt yourself.
I'd be fine with a non-WWE thread if I actually thought it could sustain itself - there's just not enough people here who watch stuff outside of WWE and too many that refuse to, for whatever reason. Also, while it happens pretty rarely, once in a blue moon a self-hating WWE fan will take stock and come to the realisation that the WWE isn't the be-all and end-all of professional wrestling. For those posters, seeing fans of other products actively ENJOYING the wrestling they've chosen to spend their valuable time watching can be all the encouragement needed to give an alternative a chance. Of course, there's the stubborn few who have such distaste for anything non-WWE that they can't bear to see it mentioned, they can't bear to hit 'page down' a few times and just scroll on past, the mere presence of non-WWE wrestling is a grave offence and one that can only be repaid with BANISHMENT to an undoubtedly less-active (yet assuredly more positive and less self-loathing) thread so WWE-only fans can be left undisturbed to wallow in filth and disappointment.
Exactly. I admittedly don't watch much wrestling anymore, let alone WWE programming, but I don't bitch and complain when people talk about other feds. It's awesome that people have other feds to talk about in the first place. Let them talk about the stuff they want, Heavy, you selfish bitch. God forbid that WWE becomes literally the only wrestling in the world.

Now my morning/afternoon is actually ruined. I'm going to play Sonic Heroes now because I apparently hate myself.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder what the most over move (In its day) of all time is

Ones I can think of

1) DDT
2) Stunner
3) RKO
4) Spear
5) People's Elbow
6) Style Clash

Stan Hansen's lariat in Japan and Lawler's Piledriver in Memphis would be top threes. Brian Adias' Oriental Spike made people think it could kill someone in Texas.

Watching RR 2000 it's sad how Jacqueline didn't get a pop at all fot her swimsuit until she was bouncing up and down. The racial undertones from that crowd was poor as hell. She was fit, beautiful, and could wrestle.

Hell Ivory was a very underrated Woman as well.

I'd have a good time with them both.

And while Luna was manly, she was fit.

bjork

NoRéN;180992052 said:
ok, I'm not alone. Everytime WCW talk comes up I feel like the dude at a party and some song I don't know comes on and everyone is like "Aww yeah! This is my jam!" "It's so good!"

I'm just like, "Just smile and nod, NoReN. Smile and nod."

Really, pre-Nitro WCW was where it was at. Being around for the whole monday night era was more of a thing where you had to be there. I feel like more WCW stuff from MNW era holds up than WWF for sure, but a lot of what came from both was just so bad. Storywise and in-ring wise.

Watching RR 2000 it's sad how Jacqueline didn't get a pop at all fot her swimsuit until she was bouncing up and down. The racial undertones from that crowd was poor as hell. She was fit, beautiful, and could wrestle.

Hell Ivory was a very underrated Woman as well.

I'd have a good time with them both.

And while Luna was manly, she was fit.

Ivory at least got the RTC gimmick to roll with for a bit. I remember reading about Jacqueline when she was Miss Texas and was expecting to see really good matches when she came in, but I feel like they never went that way with her and idk why. Luna deserved a title run for always having played second fiddle to Alundra for that little bit that Alundra was around.

Most unsung lady wrassler in WWF history is still Jazz though. They never ever mention her and always gush about Trish/Lita and throw Molly the occasional shoutout, but Jazz was the best.

Compare and contrast:

Jake Roberts slaps Elizabeth

Orton DDTs Stephanie

Two segments, meant to elicit the same response. I feel Jake is more effective because he feels like he really is a despicable human being, but Randy feels like he's playing a psycho from the movies. Randy goes on way too long, and the silence from the announcers actually achieves the opposite effect that they want, because it feels like a play instead of a real event.

Zach

NoRéN;180992052 said:
ok, I'm not alone. Everytime WCW talk comes up I feel like the dude at a party and some song I don't know comes on and everyone is like "Aww yeah! This is my jam!" "It's so good!"

I'm just like, "Just smile and nod, NoReN. Smile and nod."

nggf1mobz.gif

Haha... watch that stuff, man, and get back to us.

Mahonay

Banned
NoRéN;180991406 said:
Shit, am I the only person that didn't get to watch much WCW in its heyday?
Nah. I started watching wrestling in 96'. It was 10 and WWF was what all of my friends were into. One of my best friend's dad had an illegal cable box and watched every WWF PPV/In Your House on it, that was my official introduction. The Mankind/Undertaker feud is the first thing that hooked me. I was barely aware of WCW's existence until around 98'. By that point I was all in and absolutely enthralled with the beginning of the Attitude Era. Even thinking about watching WCW felt sacrilegious to my young stupid mind. Only ever saw WCW matches in passing. I've been catching everything I missed over the past few years.

Only other fed I got into huge at the same time as the Attitude era was ECW.

Top Bottom