• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Nekofrog

Banned
4lB0lz2.gif

high impact moves look so good when the guy taking it has long hair

Edit: can we talk about the framing of this shot for a second because it's masterful. You get a real idea for the agility and power behind the spear because you never see any cut or angle shift. Your eye is drawn to the action but if you pay attention to the shot you can still see a flock member getting ready to get destroyed. I guess my point is the camera let the moment breathe and it looks great

Compare and contrast:

Jake Roberts slaps Elizabeth

Orton DDTs Stephanie

Two segments, meant to elicit the same response. I feel Jake is more effective because he feels like he really is a despicable human being, but Randy feels like he's playing a psycho from the movies. Randy goes on way too long, and the silence from the announcers actually achieves the opposite effect that they want, because it feels like a play instead of a real event.

Jake is far better and it's not even close. He beats the tar out of Savage, sticks him with the snake, and Liz dives directly into the line of fire to save Savage, and basically gets laughed at for it. It's a far more tense situation, because Liz was best in class at selling the very high potential for disaster.

Really, pre-Nitro WCW was where it was at. Being around for the whole monday night era was more of a thing where you had to be there. I feel like more WCW stuff from MNW era holds up than WWF for sure, but a lot of what came from both was just so bad. Storywise and in-ring wise.

Ivory at least got the RTC gimmick to roll with for a bit. I remember reading about Jacqueline when she was Miss Texas and was expecting to see really good matches when she came in, but I feel like they never went that way with her and idk why. Luna deserved a title run for always having played second fiddle to Alundra for that little bit that Alundra was around.

Most unsung lady wrassler in WWF history is still Jazz though. They never ever mention her and always gush about Trish/Lita and throw Molly the occasional shoutout, but Jazz was the best.
Can obviously tell you why Jazz was never used right but I never got to see much of her(she was in ECW doing her thing and I never watched ECW before it went to TNN).

Molly was so underrated(she was my favourite so I named my dog after her lol) but I wish that she got more shine like Lita and Trish.

You do remember the politics between Luna right? How everyone wanted her to win the Women's title but Vince put it on Green Sable?

bjork

Compare and contrast:

Jake Roberts slaps Elizabeth

Orton DDTs Stephanie

Two segments, meant to elicit the same response. I feel Jake is more effective because he feels like he really is a despicable human being, but Randy feels like he's playing a psycho from the movies. Randy goes on way too long, and the silence from the announcers actually achieves the opposite effect that they want, because it feels like a play instead of a real event.

In all fairness, WWF in late 91/early 92 was really trying to push the envelope on some stuff. I think that had the steroid stuff not gone down, we'd have gotten attitude era far earlier than we did. Also keep in mind that this kind of stuff was new at the time.

So fast forward to Orton, and not only do they have to contend with the whole "all these dumbass Austin matches and RVD/Shane spots raised the bar so high for spots that we can't possible top it without killing someone" issue combined with "this is now a PG show because Linda" and I bet DDTing Steph was about as edgy as they were going to go. I bet you they wouldn't do this angle today.

I agree that the presentation in the first is way better, but my brain can't separate it from my 14yo self going "oh fuck dude", while I can see the Orton thing and see all the stuff surrounding it. It's not necessarily an excuse, but yeah.

Mahonay

Banned
Can obviously tell you why Jazz was never used right but I never got to see much of her(she was in ECW doing her thing and I never watched ECW before it went to TNN).

Molly was so underrated(she was my favourite so I named my dog after her lol) but I wish that she got more shine like Lita and Trish.

You do remember the politics between Luna right? How everyone wanted her to win the Women's title but Vince put it on Green Sable?
Whenever I think of Luna I get depressed. She lived a hard life.

bjork

Man it's so bizarre looking back at The Worm and reminding yourself just how insanely over that shit was. Arenas would come unglued with that move.

The People's Elbow is also shit. It's a fucking elbow. Bret Hart's elbow from the middle rope is riskier, FFS.

Everything from that era was over, though. That was right around the time when I tuned out. Long-ass Rock or HHH promos, 2 Cool dancing, this dipshit doing the worm, the stinkface, and so on. It was hard to watch then.

Yeah, but I'm talking even before Sable. Around 94, your women's division had no more than 2-3 women at any time, and Luna never even got a brief run. I wouldn't buy her beating Bull when Bull was there (nor Bertha or Aja Kong for that matter) but I would've been into a rollup on Alundra to set up a rematch.

MC Safety

The best finishing move in wrestling was, and I swear this is true, a WWF guy used to do like a super nougie. I wish I could remember who it was.

Also, the Berserker just tossed guys out of the ring for his finishing move.

Damn, I'd retweet that hot take Bronson, but I don't want Thorne bothering me, lol. I saw that whole "society moves so fast that some might be satisfied with just seeing a GIF" thing, but I'm more of the opinion that anyone who sees a GIF from your show and then decides they don't need to buy the full show, well, they probably weren't all that likely to buy it in the first place.

Damn, I'd retweet that hot take Bronson, but I don't want Thorne bothering me, lol. I saw that whole "society moves so fast that some might be satisfied with just seeing a GIF" thing, but I'm more of the opinion that anyone who sees a GIF from your show and then decides they don't need to buy the full show, well, they probably weren't all that likely to buy it in the first place.

It's ok, I retweeted it.

Thorne is worthless
He's perfect for the scummy Indy promoter

Everything from that era was over, though. That was right around the time when I tuned out. Long-ass Rock or HHH promos, 2 Cool dancing, this dipshit doing the worm, the stinkface, and so on. It was hard to watch then.

Yeah, but I'm talking even before Sable. Around 94, your women's division had no more than 2-3 women at any time, and Luna never even got a brief run. I wouldn't buy her beating Bull when Bull was there (nor Bertha or Aja Kong for that matter) but I would've been into a rollup on Alundra to set up a rematch.
You're right, I wad just mentioning how she eas supposed to get her big break. Even though it came during a even more depleted Women's roster lol.

Mahonay

Banned
As a 12-13 year old that kind of stuff was my jam.

Soon enough they added the likes of Angle, Jericho, Benoit, and Eddie. Mixing in some legit great wrestling helped it from getting too grating at the time.

bjork

Goldberg gets a lot of hate for having a limited move set, but I think he executed those moves crisply and knew how to work a crowd.

I don't mind a limited moveset at all. It worked for him like it worked for Warrior. Big splash, big success, get out and go home to count money.

Also:

Boots, this video is the goods

https://vid.me/C3AP

Bull knocking the piss out of a bunch of poor ladies

Bjork wtf that stuff wad awesome well, The Rock was. The rest annoyed me. As an 8 year old lol. The worst thing from the attitude era for me was either HHH being shoved down my throat(now that I'm an adult and see how overrated his reign was. It was always boring to me) and as a kid it was Austin. I hated Austin as a kid, I was a Rocky and HBK fan so it waa legit hate for Stone Cold, you can ask my cousins about that lol. Now that I'm an adult I see how cool Austin was.

bjork

Bjork wtf that stuff wad awesome well, The Rock was. The rest annoyed me. As an 8 year old lol. The worst thing from the attitude era for me was either HHH being shoved down my throat(now that I'm an adult and see how overrated his reign was. It was always boring to me) and as a kid it was Austin. I hated Austin as a kid, I was a Rocky and HBK fan so it waa legit hate for Stone Cold, you can ask my cousins about that lol. Now that I'm an adult I see how cool Austin was.

For me personally, there's a big shift in the product from the moment Raw went to 2 hours. Go watch some earlier episodes of Raw and aside from the occasional King's Court or whatever, you didn't have long talking segments. Then skip to 98 or 99 and see how every show opens with a long segment, and then every f-grade shit like Road Dogg has to have a long entrance and repeat their same dumbass catchphrases every week. So then you get Rocky with his promos that were less about "I'm going to beat you because x y z" and more like "I'm going to shit on you and kill your momentum" that also included the same dumbass catchphrases every week, but with the added pregnant pauses, and it was just the worst to me. HHH and his "Rock-uh... I-uh... will-uh" style promos were also bad. I didn't mind HBK so much because I could appreciate that he was on pills and that was cool.

But the notion of expanding the show because wrasslin' is hot, then padding it out with a ton of useless shit like that, is what initially turned me off. Watching a 3-hour Raw is even worse nowadays, or the last time I saw one, and I think the last time I did see Raw was the condensed Hulu version. Even that had too much rambling and shit in it for me.

I have a lot of reasons for not watching and mostly reading reports, but it all started with that. When I am watching the show and I feel like my time could be better spent going outside or something, you've failed.

I'm not a huge fan of the promotion, but there's something about the way he goes about promoting it that reeks of desperation.

That's because he is desperate, and the owners are both really dumb business wise. Thorne got invited to TNA one time and rewarded this kindness by getting drunk as fuck and acting a fool on Twitter

Mahonay

Banned
Man I feel bad for you. I was 11 when the full Stone Cold gimmick came to fruition. Bret Hart was my favorite wrestler at the time. I quickly dumped Bret once I saw Steve "fuck everyone and everything" Austin. I was so god damn happy when he won the belt from Shawn at WM14. Fucking hated the HBK gimmick at the time.

Besides Austin, Taker was definitely my other favorite.

But yeah, being 13 with both The Rock and Austin on top was god damn awesome.

Man I feel bad for you. I was 11 when the full Stone Cold gimmick came to fruition. Bret Hart was my favorite wrestler at the time. I quickly dumped Bret once I saw Steve "fuck everyone and everything" Austin. I was so god damn happy when he won the belt from Shawn at WM14. Fucking hated the HBK gimmick at the time.

Besides Austin, Taker was definitely my other favorite.

But yeah, being 13 with both The Rock and Austin on top was god damn awesome.
I didn't like Austin until he was friends(or should I say teamed with the rock during the corporate ministry.), everyone else loved him. I had a fucking Stone cold cake for my 9th birthday and was livid, I wanted a Rocky birthday cake. At least I got his action figures and a shirt.

Top Bottom