• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

DMczaf

tumblr_nvvo034TYk1usiemao1_400.gif

Anth0ny

MbcGCgq.png

First of all, I wanna apologize. I'd like to apologize to all my fans over in Germany. I'd like to apologize to all my fans over in Great Britain. Actually, I like to apologize to all my fans all over Europe. All over Japan and the far east. I like to apologize to my fans in the middle east. All the way as far down as South Africa. And I especially like to apologize for all my great fans in Canada. And to you, my great fans across the United States of America, to you I apologize for nothing! You know, it seems real strange to me that no matter how much I try that when I beat Professor Beef to a bloody pulp, I thought to myself, no matter how much I win, when I walked back to the dressing room. The way you American fans treat me across the United States of America, I feel like I lost. I mean I took a gutless creep like Professor Beef and beat him to a bloody pulp even though he knows and you all know that he lost, you cheer him on the way back to the dressing room like he won!

shoutouts to the greatest angle in wrasslin history <3

Heel

BATISTA: It was weird. It wasn't like a normal response. It was almost like a personal attack. It had to do with factors that were not in my control, factors and things that were going on in the company with other people, stuff that really had nothing to do with me. To me, it was a little frustrating, a little confusing, and, you know, I don't want to say I completely took it personal, but I did somewhat.

What I heard over and over was, "Batista doesn't deserve this," and that's what I took personally, because it's like they forgot about my 10 years of pain and suffering and sacrifice. When I left the company, I gave plenty of notice, I left the right way, I did everything right. And also, my very last match, I broke my back. So I literally broke my back for the fans. And for me to come back and for them to say that I didn't deserve the spot that I was being put in? For one thing, I didn't ask for that spot. And here's my thing with wrestling, and I tell this to everybody: If you get an opportunity, take the opportunity, and if you pass it up, you're a fool. And if you hate on a guy just because he's taking advantage of an opportunity that's given to him, then you're an idiot.

WWE.COM: Apart from the WrestleMania match, you had some great battles with Superstars like Dolph Ziggler. Looking back, is your return up to par with what you had set out to accomplish?

BATISTA: Somewhat, it is. It is within myself. But I still feel like, with the fans and the audience being really wrapped up in internet rumors and whatnot, they really missed out on a lot of good entertainment. And that’s a shame, because I had some good matches, man. Like you said, I had some really good matches with Dolph. There were a few people that were paying attention, but I think a lot of people missed out on it, man. Maybe because there wasn’t that built-in story behind it, but we made the best we could out of it. Even going back to when I started with Alberto Del Rio. We had some good matches. We had a good pay-per-view, we put our hearts into it, but the fans were so intent on booing for no reason, they weren’t even paying attention to the match. That’s a shame, because we were out there killing ourselves to entertain people. So that’s the only thing that I feel like is a downside, you know?

WWE.COM: Some WWE fans did get pretty creative in finding ways to bash you. They got things like “Bootista” and “Bluetista” to trend on Twitter during your matches, and you actually heckled them back a bit.

BATISTA: I did, especially with the Bluetista thing, because, you know, we had six guys beating the crap out of each other … but people were focused on me wearing blue! I don’t get that, man. I just don’t get it!

Batista seems to really love the audience. Perhaps my opinion had some merit.

I'm ready for that apology, Sephzilla.

Sephzilla

When you post something that actually confirms what you're trying to say, then maybe you'll get one.

Until then enjoy the warm embrace of Pepsi and dream since the three of you only post around here when one of you starts trolling

Heel

When you post something that actually confirms what you're trying to say, then maybe you'll get one.

Until then enjoy the warm embrace of Pepsi and dream since the three of you only post around here when one of you gets called out for your general trolling

It's several sources showing that Batista has contempt for the audience, Sephzilla. You call that trolling? He was literally mocking their chants in the middle of the ring.

Shouting "gimmick posting" when someone's opinion doesn't line up with your own is the most hostile and insular part of this thread. Perhaps everyone's opinion isn't going to be perfectly in line with your own.

I didn't expect an apology, but maybe next time you'll have a little respect when addressing a fellow member of the WWE Universe, you a**.

Gimmick?

S2vrQ.gif

Crowd(male demo 18-34) turned on Roman no matter what he did after that shoot.

That's horseshit and you know it. Punk never said anything bad about Roman on Colt's podcast, only mentioning that 1) Roman was chosen over Chris Hero for The Shield (which Punk didn't have a problem with) and 2) that they wanted Punk to make Roman "look really, really strong," (which Punk was willing to, and was only bitching about how nonsensical it was to try and do that when Punk was going to go over the whole Shield in a 3-on-1 match, and unsuccessfully tried to get it changed so that The Shield would go over them instead). The reason people turned on Roman was because of the DISASTROUS booking between the beginning of 2015 and Wrestlemania, especially them bringing Bryan before the Rumble just to get eliminated before Roman even entered the match, since most fans felt Bryan still deserved to be champ.

Heel

Sorry, Bluekaveli. I find it equally dumb that I have to defend a perfectly reasonable position with numerous sources, especially about professional wrestling.

That said, I'm not going to let this dude continue to talk down to me because he disagrees and wants to form his perfect little world. I may disagree, and often do, but I'm never belittling my fellow WrassleGAF members because of it. My criticism is directed at the entertainment.

That's the last of this you'll hear from me. It's going to be fun and playful from here on out.

Sorry, Bluekaveli. I find it equally dumb that I have to defend a perfectly reasonable position with numerous sources, especially about professional wrestling.

That said, I'm not going to let this dude continue to talk down to me because he disagrees and wants to form his perfect little world. I may disagree, and often do, but I'm never belittling my fellow WrassleGAF members because of it. My criticism is directed at the entertainment.

That's the last of this you'll hear from me. It's going to be fun and playful from here on out.
That's when you just ignore posts, like I do &#128522;
How long ago was that Batista interview?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That's horseshit and you know it. Punk never said anything bad about Roman on Colt's podcast, only mentioning that 1) Roman was chosen over Chris Hero for The Shield (which Punk didn't have a problem with) and 2) that they wanted Punk to make Roman "look really, really strong," (which Punk was willing to, and was only bitching about how nonsensical it was to try and do that when Punk was going to go over the whole Shield in a 3-on-1 match, and unsuccessfully tried to get it changed so that The Shield would go over them instead). The reason people turned on Roman was because of the DISASTROUS booking between the beginning of 2015 and Wrestlemania, especially them bringing Bryan before the Rumble just to get eliminated before Roman even entered the match, since most fans felt Bryan still deserved to be champ.
Did I say Punk said anything bad about Roman? No I did not, go back to the original post.

I said after that shoot they turned on him and no matter what he did it was seen as "oh they're trying to make Roman look strong." You don't need to look far to see how that phrase took off. Even larger communities latched on to the phrase and used it to demean and lessen his booking.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Are we really pretending that Roman feuding with Bray Wyatt in 2015 with Seth holding the strap as ratings plummet was at all any part of the plan?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wrestling fans are so angry with each other

D4uGRYz.gif

Did I say Punk said anything bad about Roman? No I did not, go back to the original post.

I said after that shoot they turned on him and no matter what he did it was seen as "oh they're trying to make Roman look strong." You don't need to look far to see how that phrase took off. Even larger communities latched on to the phrase and used it to demean and lessen his booking.

Let's not forget that as soon as the words "i'm dumb as fuck" left Punk's words re: Ryback, people would jump at the chance to say it.

Wrasslin' fans should be happy tonight.

except about Gable/JJ & Breezus losing

Also, yeah, Punk knew what he was doing with that shoot. But Ryback and Roman have survived and thrived despite all that.

Almost anyone could see that they were building up Roman as the next top guy with his booking throughout 2014:

• Roman broke Kane's Rumble elimination record
  • Roman was one of the final 2 in Rumble with Batista
  • The Shield was collectively given main event level status via a feud with one of the most legendary WWE stables ever, Evolution.
  • One promo during the Shield/Evolution feud featured Triple H verbally fellating Roman while almost ignoring Seth and Dean
  • Roman was given the honor of the winning pins at both Extreme Rules and Payback
  • Roman WasImmediately inserted into title picture following Shield split
  • Roman feuded with Orton, then the centerpiece of top heel faction The Authority,and won clean.
  • Roman briefly feuded with Seth Rollins after Seth defeated Roman's little buddy Marty Janetty Dean Ambrose, with it seemingly building to Roman finally putting Seth in his place.
  • After an injury keeps the Seth/Roman feud from properly culminating, Roman was given multiple segments on Raw when most other injured wrestlers are never given any time between their injury and return

All Punk's little podcast did was give a handy little phrase that quickly summed up what people had figured out long before that podcast.

people very much so minded roman's push the very moment Rey Mysterio showed up in place of Daniel Bryan, I'd even say the weeks leading up to the rumble when he was set up for it as well and bryan got randomly side tracked by the Wyatt's.

basically Roman was being forced on everyone and took what a lot of people wanted to be Bryan's place. We got told we wanted Roman, basically. People shit on it.

Everyone was fine with Roman in the shield, he's a fantastic hot tag and worked his best off of Dean and Rollins promos. He's a fantastic HBK's muscle Diesel. But stand alone? he's lame and corny and doesn't have even a bit of Big Sexy's charisma. Roman is like Kelly Kelly. Super attractive, but wildly untalented.

I honestly wish I could say Roman has improved, but he hasn't. I dont see it. I'd rather they wheel Bryan out and use his hairy skeleton in place of roman,

That being said, I like Roman where he is. He's enjoyable when he's not fighting the Wyatt family or Big show. He just needs a few decent feuds with guys that are capable of helping Roman's character grow. That's his weakness. He's got his typical WWE moveset that everyone eventually gets, but he needs some defining feuds. I dont care about Roman Reigns as a performer, nor as a character. I can usually rally behind someone if they just have one of those things in an overwhelming way, because once you get over with one, the other will come in time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Bull. I remember a good deal of bitching about Roman's booking in the months prior to that podcast.
That maybe, yet don't you think Punk's statement did more harm towards someone still in the business than good? All it did was intensify scrutiny towards Roman as well as give validation towards those who can't see what WWE might see in Roman. It's like Beef said:
Let's not forget that as soon as the words "i'm dumb as fuck" left Punk's words re: Ryback, people would jump at the chance to say it.
It's clear to see Punk's shoot affected people still at the company.

Vylash

people very much so minded roman's push the very moment Rey Mysterio showed up in place of Daniel Bryan, I'd even say the weeks leading up to the rumble when he was set up for it as well and bryan got randomly side tracked by the Wyatt's.

basically Roman was being forced on everyone and took what a lot of people wanted to be Bryan's place. We got told we wanted Roman, basically. People shit on it.

Everyone was fine with Roman in the shield, he's a fantastic hot tag and worked his best off of Dean and Rollins promos. He's a fantastic HBK's muscle Diesel. But stand alone? he's lame and corny and doesn't have even a bit of Big Sexy's charisma. Roman is like Kelly Kelly. Super attractive, but wildly untalented.

I honestly wish I could say Roman has improved, but he hasn't. I dont see it. I'd rather they wheel Bryan out and use his hairy skeleton in place of roman,

That being said, I like Roman where he is. He's enjoyable when he's not fighting the Wyatt family or Big show. He just needs a few decent feuds with guys that are capable of helping Roman's character grow. That's his weakness. He's got his typical WWE moveset that everyone eventually gets, but he needs some defining feuds. I dont care about Roman Reigns as a performer, nor as a character. I can usually rally behind someone if they just have one of those things in an overwhelming way, because once you get over with one, the other will come in time.
idk man, i've been digging reigns lately, though he's still way better as a cocky heel

TL21xx

Banned
So I finally pried myself away long enough from the Battlefront beta to watch tonight's takeover. Solid show, but some tiny things I didn't care for started to add up and dragged the whole thing down for me.

- Slapped together tag teams beating legit teams in the Dusty Rhodes classic really rubbed me the wrong way. Call me old-school, but I've never cared for the WWE way of having the big singles stars go over.

- Corbin's finisher on Gable was a buzzkill and wasn't particularly impactful IMO. Don't get me wrong, the match was fantastic, but the end really felt lacking. They really need to be careful on how they go about pushing this guy, because he needs a lot more time in the cooker to not end up as Reigns 2.0. He is getting better though.

- The crowd got to be insufferable during the Iron Man match. They basically burned out before the match even started. I prefer a rowdy crowd myself, but man... It's like a group of people trying so hard to be the new ECW gremlins, but missing the whole reason they were one of the best crowds. The ECW crowd made you want to be at the show because they loved the show. They were part of it, but never tried to take away from it. Opinionated, but always tuned into the in-ring action. They weren't being smarky, they really wanted to buy into the story being told, and weren't afraid of asking for their favorites. It's the reason I love PWG and Chikara's crowds, the people just want to have a good time and enjoy the in-ring action, not start a popularity contest. That really is what bugged me about the crowd tonight. They peaked early and blew off a good chunk of a really solid match.

That being said, I thought the wrestling was awesome tonight. Solid heel work by Sasha, Dana is clearly getting better, Asuka is going to be fantastic and hasn't missed a beat transitioning to the WWE style, and good lord is Gable awesome. The one thing I will give Full Sail tonight is that chanting Gable to Angle's theme was hilarious. More crap like that, and less bragging over how cool you are to be there.

Sorry for not posting as much lately WrassleGAF, I'll try to check in more often and not lurk so much. I really do enjoy this community. Let's not mess it up.

TL21xx

Banned

Couldn't have said it better myself, thank you Freck.

Top Bottom