• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Power of Positivity continues:

NXT Takeover Review by He Who Shall Not Be Named Except This One Time: Strobogo

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/strobogos-wrasslin-potpourri-reviews/nxttakeoverrespect

Good insight and some good jiffs. Let's watch em.

germancapture.gif

armbar.gif

fuckyourmoonsault.gif

tapout.gif

Houston, TX so that's out for WM. I dont' believe WWE has hosted an event at Lucas Oil Field in Indy so maybe that's in play.
Fuck Indy!!! Game is gonna be so ass tonight. I was shocked Houston got the Super Bowl. NRG is nice, but those new stadiums are a lot nicer...and then there's the field issue.

klonere

Banned
The Power of Positivity continues:

NXT Takeover Review by He Who Shall Not Be Named Except This One Time: Strobogo

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/strobogos-wrasslin-potpourri-reviews/nxttakeoverrespect

Good insight and some good jiffs. Let's watch em.

Stro said:
tree of Keanu

ahahahaha

Agree with nearly everything here. I think if Balor even got rid of the dreads for the Demon gimmick it would do so much for it. Breezey being too good to be a jobber. The lavish praise for the main event.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Stro's words about Gable/Jordan and Corbin/Rhyno:

Corbin and Jordan start the match, and it shows you how deceptively huge JJ is. And strong. He's throwing Corbin and Rhyno around like they ain't shit. The fans start chanting for Gable to the tune of Kurt Angle's theme, which is obnoxious as shit. I'm sure they thought that was super clever. Considering Gable is about as big as Tyson Kidd, they should lower their expectations of Gable being the new Angle. The wrestlers focus on the arm of Rhyno. Gable has a really interesting mix of amateur style moves and more fast paced junior stuff. But he's also super out matched here and gets splattered on the LED board. Corbin is going to be big. He's good. After what seemed like a year of doing nothing but 30 second squashes, he finally showed that he could actually wrestle at the Brooklyn show. Dude is legit. I see big things in his future. I also see big things for Gable and Jordan. They've shown so much in the past few weeks. Rhyno randomly tries a Superfly splash that he hasn't attempted in about 15 years. He misses and Gable is able to tag in JJ, who dominates. This mother fucker is having his star making moment. But Corbin lays him out and hits Gable with a black hole slam. Oh shit, that little fucker just hit Chaos Theory on a dude a foot taller than him. That's pretty impressive. Rhyno hits the Gore on JJ. Gable tries his spinning something only to get smashed with the End of Days. Corbin and Rhyno advance. Another super fun tag match. I would have liked to see JJ/Gable vs Joe/Balor, but this was definitely a star making night for them.

Pavaloo

i wonder how you kill "This is awesome" chants

just get WWE to make a shirt out of it?

for the record, i'd just prefer the audience cheers like a normal audience would

stro regarding finn's demon attire
"It will be good for merch, but it makes him look like a tool and is hard to take him seriously when he's got dreadlocks made out of Goodwill belts and is crawling on the floor like an asshole." lmao

Finally finished Takeover, great show as usual. Shame to see the OT go from people loving the Full Sail crowd to the usual suspects being cunty about the crowd. How very dare they be excited for a match!

Finally finished Takeover, great show as usual. Shame to see the OT go from people loving the Full Sail crowd to the usual suspects being cunty about the crowd. How very dare they be excited for a match!

The main event would have been way better and way more dramatic if that crowd had been less into chants and getting themselves over, and more into naturally reacting to the action.

I normally dismiss people complaining about Full Sail, and think the complaints are overboard and comedic. But I have to admit, I watched it three times, and came to that conclusion halfway through the second viewing.

The main event would have been way better and way more dramatic if that crowd had been less into chants and getting themselves over, and more into naturally reacting to the action.

I normally dismiss people complaining about Full Sail, and think the complaints are overboard and comedic. But I have to admit, I watched it three times, and came to that conclusion halfway through the second viewing.

Having just watched it, I disagree. They were into the match the entire time.

Zach

You guys crack me up with your hatred for the NXT crowd. I'm an out-of-touch old man and they don't bother me. They even get a "heh" out of me sometimes.

After you using a caricature version of vince to be racist? What's going on here
No I was making a commentary on the way people make terrible assumptions about Vince in order to justify racist words and actions, literally the opposite of what you're accusing me of.

The fact that you're making awful judgements about my character is pretty G-D offensive bud.

JavyOO7

Wrote a bit about piracy and stuff;

On GIFs, piracy & puroresu

I'd run out of bad BritWres posters last week, there isn't enough turnover!

That's beautiful, big fan of the 1980's neon fever-dream style that's been in vogue more recently.

I liked your rant in regards to piracy.

With WWE and their network I had not watched any wrestling prior since Misawa's death. So just as I got interested into the product again the WWE network came out. So here I am a year and a half later and still am subscribed to their service and probably will be for a very long time. I don't watch RAW but I do watch Main Event/Superstars/sometimes Smackdown/the PPVs new and old/and NXT stuff. And any of the neat network specials they got.

Same with NJPW. So glad they have NJPW World in there. Been subscribed since the beginning.

Progress has their own network kind of thing too. But the difference between them and someone like PWG is that Progress also sales their shows digital as well... is the problem with PWG is that they don't want to invest in the infrastructure to to have digital stuff?

Either way, if you are a wrestling company and ahead of the tech curve... people will pirate your stuff less...

And there are some PWG shows I want, and I will buy the DVD's for them eventually, but... the first thing I'm going to do is rip them because I don't want physical media all that much anymore.

Just gotta be ahead or in sync of the tech curve...

Heel

Sometimes I wish the Full Sail crowd reached a new level of snobbery in which they emulated the Puroresu (Japanese term for "professional wrestling") audience, sitting silently and enjoying the match as it unfolds.

Fingers crossed, friends.

Having just watched it, I disagree. They were into the match the entire time.

It's so much better when they are reacting naturally, and not just singing chants though. That's what I'm saying. Look at the Asuka/Dana Brooke match. The most awesome wrestling moment of that match was when Asuka snatched the crossface chickenwing, the crowd stopped chanting "Asuka City!" and Asuka sunk the back hooks in. The crowd just popped normally, and you could hear Dana emit a final "Unnnghhhh!" as she tapped out from the choke. It was pure pro wrestling drama, letting the PERFORMER get the move over, and it was PERFECT. That moment would NOT have been better with the crowd continuing to sing their chant.

There's something to be said about a Japanese style "respectful" crowd. Not that I'm saying I want that exactly, I don't. I just don't want the complete opposite of that, which is sometimes where the Full Sail crowd was last night. At least they didn't do a "We are awesome" chant. I'll give them that.

Sure, but no one's fooled by the carny game of posting GIFs literally within moments of them happening to social media in a desperate search for internet kudos. It's actually kind of weird, and a legitimate gripe for anyone producing content.

One of the main reasons I began live GIFing shows was because sites I contributed to or sites I was a reader of found use of my gifs in their reviews, but I wasn't the only one doing so - this shit is easy and I genuinely don't know how I stumbled upon such a silly amount of followers, but believe what you want. I only brought the GIF thing up because it's been a sore point with indie promoters recently, as there are a lot of GIF accounts these days and some of them have gone overboard with the amount they capture from newly released shows. In summation;

alJmPHV.gif

BLEEEEEEEEEUGGH!

Progress has their own network kind of thing too. But the difference between them and someone like PWG is that Progress also sales their shows digital as well... is the problem with PWG is that they don't want to invest in the infrastructure to to have digital stuff?

Highspots do offer PWG shows as MP4 downloads, but they're only released a month or two after the DVDs - I'm not a fan of the system, I'd love day-1 MP4 downloads or VOD access or a PWG subscription service, but it's working for them well enough I guess.

Sometimes I wish the Full Sail crowd reached a new level of snobbery in which they emulated the Puroresu (Japanese term for "professional wrestling") audience, sitting silently and enjoying the match as it unfolds.

Fingers crossed, friends.

I don't want the full sail crowd to learn about throwing streamers like the ROH crowd.

One of the main reasons I began live GIFing shows was because sites I contributed to or sites I was a reader of found use of my gifs in their reviews, but I wasn't the only one doing so - this shit is easy and I genuinely don't know how I stumbled upon such a silly amount of followers, but believe what you want. I only brought the GIF thing up because it's been a sore point with indie promoters recently, as there are a lot of GIF accounts these days and some of them have gone overboard with the amount they capture from newly released shows.

I'm not trying to put you over, Boots. But you do a great job, and you expose a lot of people to alternative shows. I know indy promoters/writers/performers who are real fans of your .gifs and love seeing them, especially when it's their product. You rarely "spoil" anything. And even when you do post a finish, I've never gone back afterwards and thought, "that match would've been so much better had I not seen that .gif."

Plus, if I don't want something spoiled at all, I just don't look at your feed.

My problem with Boots is he watches so, so much terrible wrestling

I must save you, Boots!

LOL! This is because I watched that PWU show, isn't it? C'mon, man - don't tell me Jack Evans & Homicide vs BxB Hulk & CIMA doesn't sound interesting as fuck on paper? Also, Trent Acid matches are such a guilty pleasure for me, loved the dude, he was so much better than shitty Kashmere.

I'll be posting my King of Pro Wrestling OT tonight. Sorry for the wait, but I had to go to sleep early yesterday and imgur is being a jerk with uploading tonight.

He even PM'd me to warn about the camera work....

YOU'RE GOIN DOWN, BOOTS

LOL! This is because I watched that PWU show, isn't it? C'mon, man - don't tell me Jack Evans & Homicide vs BxB Hulk & CIMA doesn't sound interesting as fuck on paper? Also, Trent Acid matches are such a guilty pleasure for me, loved the dude, he was so much better than shitty Kashmere.

Oh it does, but I know better! :p

Actually going to watch TNA for the first time this year, entirely because of Grado vs Spud. A true gladiatorial contest for the ages.

Incidentally, you should all watch Grado vs Mad Man Manson; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OF19OLm3q0 - instant classic.

*edit, actually, I should provide a trigger warning for those of a sensitive disposition; ironic chanting and comedy wrestling is contained within.

somedevil

The new number 1 contender for the NXT title:

Apollo Crews. Surprising and will the match happen before the next special in December? Plus this screams Balor heel turn.

Top Bottom