• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

It is time that Stephanie McMahon saves the latino ratings by starting the MEXICAN REVOLUTION, amirite?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
god, Eddie Guerrero's arms are fucking disgusting in 1997

hkwBJMK.gif

I can praise WCW all day even though I recognize its faults just as easy as I do WWF/WWE's, but they did a little mini documentary segment with Mike Tenay about luchadore masks and it's part of why I loved WCW so much and think it ages so well outside of the main event stuff. It treats pro wrestling as pro wrestling which has its roots in the international territories stuff. They talk about wrestling in Japan and mention Japanese wrestlers accolades, they acknowledge family history feuds in lucha libre and aren't afraid to let it be known that pro wrestling isn't just a bubble that only exists in their promotion.
uEUTew4.jpg

DIwPfO0.jpg

oe30ADk.jpg

2rjquC8.jpg

A lot of it is Tenay's doing, I"m sure. But the fact is that they let Tenay do it, and I love that.

Zach

Word, Data. Word.

But! Leading up to Page/Savage II, they had this little documentary thing about DDP being a hardworkin' 'merican and making it when no one thought he could, etc. etc. and the production values were terrible and the whole thing was embarrassing when compared to what WWF was doing at the same time: the Mick Foley/Jim Ross sit-down interviews.

Just saying.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - B-
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2: The Lumberjacks - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3: Triple Header - C+
In Your House 4: Great White North - D+
Halloween Havoc '95 - F
Survivor Series '95 - C+
World War 3 '95 - C
In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings - C-
Starrcade '95 - B-

Royal Rumble '96 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXXII - C
SuperBrawl VI - D+
In Your House 6: Rage in the Cage - C-
Uncensored '96 - D
WrestleMania XII - B-
In Your House 7: Good Friends, Better Enemies - C-
Slamboree '96 - C
In Your House 8: Beware of Dog - B-
The Great American Bash '96 - B
King of the Ring '96 - B-
Bash at the Beach '96 - B
In Your House 9: International Incident - C-
Hog Wild - C
Clash of the Champions XXXIII - C+
SummerSlam '96 - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - B
In Your House 10: Mind Games - C
In Your House 11: Buried Alive - C+
Halloween Havoc '96 - C+
Survivor Series '96 - B-
World War 3 '96 - B-
In Your House 12: It's Time - C
Starrcade '96 - B-

Royal Rumble '97 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXXIV - C
Souled Out '97 - F
In Your House 13: Final Four - C+
SuperBrawl VII - C-
Uncensored '97 - B-
WrestleMania 13 - C
Spring Stampede '97 - C+
Barely Legal '97 - C-
In Your House 14: Revenge of the Taker - C-
In Your House 15: A Cold Day in Hell - C
Slamboree '97 - B-
King of the Ring '97 - D+
The Great American Bash '97 - C
In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede - B-
SummerSlam '97 - B
Hardcore Heaven '97 - C
Ground Zero: In Your House - D+
One Night Only - C
Badd Blood: In Your House - D+
Survivor Series '97 - C+
November to Remember '97 - C
D-Generation X: In Your House - C
Hugh Morrus/Konnan was one of the worst matches I've ever seen. They were both gassed seemingly from the get-go.

Anway, uneven event, but good times were had with the bad. (GAB '97)

Savitar

Finished watching Halloween Havoc on the Network for kicks, it was the one with the monster trucks and Hogans match vs the Giant. Watching it all I could think of was how WCW use to say they were about wrestling and not "hollywood" as the WWF was with it's theatrics. Boy how Hogan showing up changed things. The Yetay himself arrived at the end to molest Hogan with that....hold.

Forgot the whole storyline was part of the look that Hogan would later add onto for his nWo role.

Zach

Finished watching Halloween Havoc on the Network for kicks, it was the one with the monster trucks and Hogans match vs the Giant. Watching it all I could think of was how WCW use to say they were about wrestling and not "hollywood" as the WWF was with it's theatrics. Boy how Hogan showing up changed things. The Yetay himself arrived at the end to molest Hogan with that....hold.

Forgot the whole storyline was part of the look that Hogan would later add onto for his nWo role.

Magical in its badness.

WAIT A MINUTE
WAIT A MINUTE

WHY IS CHRIS JERICHO COMING OUT TO HIS WWE THEME ON THIS EPISODE OF NITRO

Because WWE is the worst. A single tear streams down my face every time I see DDP and he has his weird phony baloney theme.

Zach

Agreed. Along with Bash at the Beach in the summer (with a pool around the ring).

I think we've talked about this before -- ha! -- but yes!! 100% on board with both.

And since I'm clearly not going to make it to Halloween Havoc '97 in my chronological viewings, I should really re-watch a pre-Hogan Halloween Havoc... hmmm...

JavyOO7

WAIT A MINUTE
WAIT A MINUTE

WHY IS CHRIS JERICHO COMING OUT TO HIS WWE THEME ON THIS EPISODE OF NITRO

Its really funny. Sometimes he comes out to 'Walls of Jericho'. Other time he comes off to the knockoff 'Evenflow'. And in his baby face run he does come out to this but sometimes it switches to Evenflow or Wall of Jericho for some reason...

Hogan in Starrcade 97 doesn't come out to Voodoo Child unfortunately...

Man I wish Hell In A Cell was tonight. I'm in the mood for some live wrestling spectacle. Watching some old PPV on the Network just ain't gonna cut it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Its really funny. Sometimes he comes out to 'Walls of Jericho'. Other time he comes off to the knockoff 'Evenflow'. And in his baby face run he does come out to this but sometimes it switches to Evenflow or Wall of Jericho for some reason...

Hogan in Starrcade 97 doesn't come out to Voodoo Child unfortunately...

Hogan not coming out to Voodoo Child makese sense though it's extra funny at WW3 97 because the swerve is that it's Hogan coming out for the title shot even though he's a champion but it goes from playing NWO music too NWO music because they don't have Hogan's theme so it's more confusing than a surprise if you've only ever seen it on the Network

I think we've talked about this before -- ha! -- but yes!! 100% on board with both.

And since I'm clearly not going to make it to Halloween Havoc '97 in my chronological viewings, I should really re-watch a pre-Hogan Halloween Havoc... hmmm...

oh definitely "bring back ringside pools" has probably been my biggest talking point in this community

Not feeling great about work at the moment, office politics and all that. Micro management of devs, stuck in big corp regulations making day to day difficult... Unfortunately all the jobs are in London ¬_¬

Anyway, make this whining wrasslin' related:
CFFkqGPUkAAzUV3.png

Vylash

question for the thread, do you think nxt being pushed as a brand is unsustainable for them? back when developmental was hidden from the public eye, not calling people up or having a constant new stream of talent didn't matter much, but them pushing themselves as a brand puts a ton of pressure on them to have a constant flood of new talent to compensate for people being called up (like all of these women being brought in because of sasha/charlotte/becky) isn't that eventually going to cause a lot of problems? there's no brand split so the main roster will inevitably fill up very quickly, you'd ideally want everyone to succeed on the main roster due to the time and money you invest in them, and you certainly can't keep people down there forever. it also leads to people being kept down there because nxt can't afford to lose them (i firmly believe this is the case with sami)

i don't know if i really got my point across but whatever

oo7

Hogan not coming out to Voodoo Child makese sense though it's extra funny at WW3 97 because the swerve is that it's Hogan coming out for the title shot even though he's a champion but it goes from playing NWO music too NWO music because they don't have Hogan's theme so it's more confusing than a surprise if you've only ever seen it on the Network

That shit was badass btw.

I think NXT can be sustainable as a 3rd brand just because it usually takes a decent amount of time for most call ups. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule like Kevin Owens but still. I see Evolve becoming a legitimate feeder promotion for NXT and I see HHH poaching the best available talent from TNA/ROH/AAA/CMLL/NJPW whenever he needs to bolster the NXT roster.

question for the thread, do you think nxt being pushed as a brand is unsustainable for them? back when developmental was hidden from the public eye, not calling people up or having a constant new stream of talent didn't matter much, but them pushing themselves as a brand puts a ton of pressure on them to have a constant flood of new talent to compensate for people being called up (like all of these women being brought in because of sasha/charlotte/becky) isn't that eventually going to cause a lot of problems? there's no brand split so the main roster will inevitably fill up very quickly, you'd ideally want everyone to succeed on the main roster due to the time and money you invest in them, and you certainly can't keep people down there forever. it also leads to people being kept down there because nxt can't afford to lose them (i firmly believe this is the case with sami)

i don't know if i really got my point across but whatever

The NXT brand keeps the ISEC happy and invested in the WWE brand overall. I'm not super down on WWE, but even I agree it seems like they'll never realize the potential of their roster, so NXT is a nice little safe haven for now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Listen Scott, I love you and your coolness and charisma can carry a LOT of shit and a lot of people and I know he's your dealer I mean friend
pXO5e8k.jpg

but having this dude out here with you just makes you look lame for having your lame ass little kung fu brother in the ring with you

Top Bottom