• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Heel

For instance, this weekend's Evolve show, though whatever Sami Zayn does will not appear on the iPPV:

Evolve 49, Saturday, 10/17/15, 7 pm (iPPV)

I Quit match, if Gargano loses, he leaves town: Johnny Gargano vs. Ethan page
Timothy Thatcher & TJ Perkins vs. Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero
#1 contender's match: Drew Gulak vs. Trevor Lee
Anthony Nese w/So Cal Val vs. Andrew Everett vs. Matt Cage vs. Peter Kassa
Tracy Williams vs. Willie Mack
Matt Riddle vs. Jonathan Gresham

Evolve 50, Sunday, 10/18/15, 8 pm (iPPV)

Evolve Championship match: Timothy Thatcher (c) vs. Drew Gulak vs. Trevor Lee winner
Roppongi Vice (Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero) vs. The Premiere Athlete Brand (Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley) w/So Cal Val
Willie Mack vs. Gulak vs. Lee loser
TJ Perkins vs. Tracy Williams
Matt Riddle vs. Chris Dickinson
Andrew Everett vs. Peter Kassa
Ethan Page vs. Matt Cage

Or this past weekend's Chikara show, Colony Collapse:
Chuck Taylor, Drew Gulak, and Swamp Monster vs. Kimber Lee and Los Ice Creams
Kevin Condron vs. Argus
Blaster McMassive and Flex Rumblecrunch vs. Dasher Hatfield and Icarus
Mandrews vs. Juan Francisco De Coranado
Jakob Hammermeier and Soldier Ant vs. Fire Ant and Worker Ant
Shynron vs. Mr. Touchdown
Frightmare, Hallowicked, and Blind Rage vs. Oleg the Usurper and The Batiri
Ophidian vs. Mr. Azerbaijan

Or CZW's show this past weekend, Tangled Web 8.

Neiko Sozio vs. Pepper Parks
AR Fox vs. Joe Gacy
CZW World Tag Team Championship match: Team Tremendous (Dan Barry & Bill Carry) vs. The Beaver Boys (John Silver & Alex Reynolds)
CZW Wired Championship: Tim Donst (c) vs. Joey Janela
Greg Excellent vs. Dick Justice
Rory Gulak vs. Masada
J.T. Dunn vs. David Starr
CZW World Championship match: Matt Tremont (c) vs. BLK JEEZ
Tangle Web match: The Nation of Intoxication (Danny Havoc, Devon Moore, Lucky tHURTeen & Conor Claxton) vs. Ohio Is 4 Killers (Jake Crist, Dave Crist, Alex Colon, Eric Ryan)

what about not wrestling

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vince McMahon is in full Vince McMahon defense force lately :p

He simply does not deserve the cherry-picking of issues brought up and levied against him. It's fun to pretend he's out of touch while you're loving everything he brought you before.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He simply does not deserve the cherry-picking of issues brought up and levied against him. It's fun to pretend he's out of touch while you're loving everything he brought you before.

I guess I just give them at least a little credit for how hard it is to script basically anything in this Reality Era where they have to balance between fans who just watch the product normally and fans who watch the product in order to draw conclusions about whatever they perceive as "reality behind the scenes." I can imagine its actually really hard to do in a way that pleases the fans.

Kornflayx

What I also think hinders long term booking is the TV ratings. Let's say they would air Raw mainly on the Network (just hypothetically, I know advertisers are hugley important). They wouldn't have to immediately react to a bad rating, because their subscribers are locked in for a month anyway. So, they would have time for a story to unfold slowly.

But there are so many factors that go into the current predicament, it's super hard to fix this in the short term. But I agree with most that something has to be done in the long term about their shows

imBask

Banned
The problem I'm trying to point out is that fans being so intensely interested in whatever they perceive as a shoot means that pretty much every thing that happens gets attributed to made-up backstage politics (which could or could not be true, the point is that there's very little basis to say in connection with individual events, e.g. Rusev loses to Ryback on Monday Night Raw). Wrestling is fake, just assume everything is a work unless there's a specific reason to believe otherwise.

Rusev losing to Ryback, a face wrestler who is basically the face analogue of Rusev himself down to their positions on the overall card doesn't mean Vince/Stephanie/HHH/Dunn had a secret Cabal meeting where they decided to bury him in retribution for proposing to a girlfriend he already was living together with.

it's still a valid point to bring up, it's a weird business and we spend more time talking about backstage stuff than the actual show and that's fine.

I disagree that there's very little basis, kayfabe is dead and we know a whole lot more than we used to from shoot interviews and such. It's not all wild speculation, we're speculating based on what we've heard from people who were in the business and talked about it later on

now did Rusev get burried because he got married? maybe, maybe not, there's no way of knowing but based on what we know it doesn't sound like that much of a stretch

it's all speculation, it always is, but it's not that wild

Sephzilla

I'm just messing with you.

Real talk - I think Vince and Dunn are a problem, but they obviously aren't the entire problem. The weekly amount of time they have to fill is crazy, that's a problem. Bad writing is a problem (going from 3 hour raws to 2 hour raws will not fix how shitty some of the angles are). There are simply too many writers, and Vince needs to pony up for better ones.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I just give them at least a little credit for how hard it is to script basically anything in this Reality Era where they have to balance between fans who just watch the product normally and fans who watch the product in order to draw conclusions about whatever they perceive as "reality behind the scenes." I can imagine its actually really hard to do in a way that pleases the fans.

On top of that, you have to deal with the talent themselves. Not all of them accept the direction and go with it like you want, and not all of them knock it out of the park as you would expect.

Long story short, it's hard to manage all these wrestlers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Idea for a game:

Luchador Musou

My big issue is no weapons. Hokuto no Ken Musou didn't play so well because a lot of it was hand to hand.

I could go for WWE Immortals Musou, with weapons.

Sephzilla

I legit wish WWE Immortals was a real console fighter and not a simple mobile game. I'd play the fuck out of that.

Everyone eventually loses talent over time, though.

what about not wrestling

Sundays: NFL football (Fox, CBS, NBC), 60 Minutes (CBS), Bob's Burgers (Fox), The Good Wife (CBS), The Leftovers (HBO), Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO), The Walking Dead (AMC)

Mondays: NFL football (ESPN), Jane The Virgin (The CW), Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (The CW), Gotham (Fox), Love It Or List It (HGTV), Antiques Roadshow (PBS)

Tuesdays: Fresh Off the Boat (ABC), The Flash (The CW), iZombie (The CW), CNN Democratic Debate (CNN, tonight only), Frontline (PBS), Chopped (Food Network)

Wednesdays: The Middle (ABC), The Goldbergs (ABC), Modern Family (ABC), Blackish (ABC), Empire (Fox), Arrow (The CW), Supernatural (The CW), You're The Worst (FXX), The League (FXX)

Thursdays: NFL Football (CBS, NFL Network), The Blacklist (NBC), How to Get Away with Murder (ABC), The Player (NBC), Classic Wrestling (ESPN Classic)

Fridays and Saturdays: Go out and do shit. Or, Netflix and chill.

Or, go make Boots happy and watch that free Progress show already.

Aiii

So not worth it

Realistically there are maybe three years of Vince stuff I loved.

I never liked WWF pre-1998.

Everything past 2001 to 2003 was okay, I suppose.

I only mildly enjoyed 2004-2008.

2009-2010 was the worst.

2011 - 2013 was decent enough, but had plenty bad shit in between the Bryan's and Punk's of the WWE Universe.

2014-2015 damn near killed my love for wrestling. If NXT, New Japan and Lucha Underground were not around, I would have stopped watching.

And no, NXT is not a Vince thing, he does not get any credit for that.

Vince is not the genius we sometimes pretend he is. He is a decent businessman (not great, look at how much shit he produced, like the XFL), I will give him that.

Dion314

Neo Member
I played the shit outta HNK Musou. Platinum trophy and everything.

In turn, I'd play the shit out of a WWE Musou too if it was all over the top and crazy. Or better yet, WWE All Stars 2. Might be in the minority but that game was awesome to me and the closest we're gonna get to the Def Jam games

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My big issue is no weapons. Hokuto no Ken Musou didn't play so well because a lot of it was hand to hand.

I could go for WWE Immortals Musou, with weapons.

Well, it would be the concentrated characters of the luchadors. Abismo Negro would have a flamethrower, La Park would have a scythe, Perro would use summonable dogs, Dr Wagner could use concentrated charisma, Super Porky could use food as a weapon

Sephzilla

Realistically there are maybe three years of Vince stuff I loved.

I never liked WWF pre-1998.

Everything past 2001 to 2003 was okay, I suppose.

I only mildly enjoyed 2004-2008.

2009-2010 was the worst.

2011 - 2013 was decent enough, but had plenty bad shit in between the Bryan's and Punk's of the WWE Universe.

2014-2015 damn near killed my love for wrestling. If NXT, New Japan and Lucha Underground were not around, I would have stopped watching.

And no, NXT is not a Vince thing, he does not get any credit for that.

Vince is not the genius we sometimes pretend he is. He is a decent businessman (not great, look at how much shit he produced, like the XFL), I will give him that.

brisk tacos is screaming at you from ban-land for saying that i bet

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What would you say to an OneeChanbara game featuring WWE's hottest Divas, Maggle?

I actually played my first Onechanbara game the other day, Z2. It's serviceable, but not good. I'd prefer it. The stuff you get to customize the characters is a dangerous hook...

Well, it would be the concentrated characters of the luchadors. Abismo Negro would have a flamethrower, La Park would have a scythe, Perro would use summonable dogs, Dr Wagner could use concentrated charisma, Super Porky could use food as a weapon

That would be great.

bjork

Anyone does. Everyone starts out rough, hits a sweet spot, then gets stale or outdated. Use any band as an example.

Also, Dragon Gate had a show on 10/8/15: Gate of Victory 2015. (However, I haven't seen the matches pop up anywhere yet.)

El Lindaman & Yosuke Santa Maria vs. Super Shisa & Shachihoko BOY
Masato Yoshino, Akira Tozawa & T-Hawk vs. Dragon Kid, Flamita & Kzy
Draztik Boy & Eita vs. Jimmy Kanda & Genki Horiguchi
Ryo Saito & Takehiro Yamamura vs. Jimmy Susumu & Kaito Ishida
Big R Shimizu, Masaaki Mochizuki & BxB Hulk vs. YAMATO, Naruki Doi & Mondai Ryu
Jimmy Kness J.K.S. vs. Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin
Open the Triangle Gate Championship match: CIMA, Gamma & Don Fuji (c) vs. Shingo Takagi, Cyber Kong & Kotoka

With the Glory By Honor shows coming up in 10 days, I'm surprised ROH hasn't announced more of the card for night 1 than The Briscoes vs. The All Night Express, AJ Styles vs. Donovan Dijak, and The Kingdom vs. The Addiction and Jay Lethal & The Kingdom vs. ROH All Stars for night 2.

Ithil

Why does everyone think that things will magically get better when HHH gets the book? From everything I've heard so far, he will not run WWE like he runs NXT. He has said multiple times, that what works on NXT is not necessarily how he would run the main shows, because they have to appeal to a broader audience.

So, maybe a little bit more focus on wrestling, but the soapy storylines will always be there.

The soapy storylines are not a problem.
The shitty soapy storylines are.

imBask

Banned
"you can't absolve Vince, because Vince is the final editor in this"

-Meltzer about Reigns promo last night

he did nuffin wrong

That's why we have to stick together: so I know where Bronson is when I decide to stab him in the back.

I'm about 5 foot 7, dunno if that makes me a 'mini' exactly. Light heavyweight, perhaps :p

When I put you down, Boots, it'll be face to face!

I'm the true Light Heavyweight here. Welcome to my Altitude Era!

JavyOO7

Ah, wanted to see Masato Yoshino & Shachihoko BOY (c) vs Jimmy Susumu & Jimmy Kagetora (Dragon Gate) that you guys linked earlier this year. I watched it one and wanted to watch it again since you guys mentioned DG earlier. But can't watch it since Dailymotion took it down...

Aiii

So not worth it
The delivery was just as bad as the content though.

Barely any wrestlers are good, or even moderately decent, actors. No wonder that all of the best wrestlers are just more extreme versions of themselves.

Stop scripting line by line. Stop letting soap opera writers write lines, period. Have you eve watched a soap opera? It is barely above WWE fanfic in terms of writing quality.

But we all know this. Everyone knows this besides WWE.

Lucha Underground is scripting done well, helped by pre-recording and post-editing you can fix errors. Live acting is a skill even real actors have trouble mastering. An amateur like Reigns? Come on now, he doesn't even have a chance.

I can spoil all Joshi for you for the last like 75 years though

Kana wins
Makoto loses
Cherry wears something silly
Lots of dropkicks

lefthangin.0.gif

Top Bottom