• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is pretty fucking fascinating. I want to track it down now. Conceptually it's brilliant. Want to see the execution.

You already own a Vita now you want 'amateur minors wrestling' attached to your search history?
¡HarlequinPanic!;181664727 said:
lol, yeah sorry Sunny. Albert squeezed into those bright red vinyl fetish trunks was a bad look.

T&A Albert is probably my favorite, some physiques benefit from a skin tight t-shirt.

Leather pants is never a good look. A-Train was the best look. Hairiness gave him character but he still had the confidence to not wear a shirt nor pants.

I can now only hear it being said in his voice in my mind.

Its like back to early 90's shit. Isaac Yankim

Vince: So pal what names have you come up with?

Adam: Well If I am going to be in the Wyatt family I was think I would stick with Adam Wyatt, It has a nice ring to it.

Vince: I see. You are a monster, a 7 foot strong man with Bruan yeah yeah thats it Braun Stowman.

Everyone in the room standing to the side of Vince rolls eye, HHH is heard muttering how much longer am I going to have to put up with he carny shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I never watched back then. I started watching in late 1998. I have a lot to catch up to from like 1990 until then.

I don't think it was called out - I also didn't know that until well after the Godwinns were gone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Its like back to early 90's shit. Isaac Yankim

Vince: So pal what names have you come up with?

Adam: Well If I am going to be in the Wyatt family I was think I would stick with Adam Wyatt, It has a nice ring to it.

Vince: I see. You are a monster, a 7 foot strong man with Bruan yeah yeah thats it Braun Stowman.

Everyone in the room standing to the side of Vince rolls eye, HHH is heard muttering how much longer am I going to have to put up with he carny shit.

I hate to break it to you since this is a boner-rific fantasy, but the only thing Vince added was the R in what was "Stowman"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;181666065 said:
what's wrong with the name Braun Stroman, anyway? Its no better or worse sounding than a good 90% of the names they've come up with in the past decade.

Nothing, it's a good name. No, a great name.

1995 KOTR is hilarious to watch. Mabel and Savio Vega in the finals. Mabel pinning Undertaker. Vega winning over Yoko

Weird and dark period.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
what's wrong with the name Braun Stroman, anyway? Its no better or worse sounding than a good 90% of the names they've come up with in the past decade.
I would like to hear the dissenters of the Brawn Strongman moniker come up with an alternative name.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I always thought those people weren't being serious for some reason. Because I'm pretty sure Kevin Owens could probably outdo most if not everyone here in endurance and athleticism.

I tell ya, Kevin Owens looks pretty fat from behind the safety of my computer monitor.

It's a fine name

I would like to hear the dissenters of the Brawn Strongman moniker come up with an alternative name.

Man he would've been a smash hit in the 80s with that name.

Without a focal point for our hate, we turn on each other. Kaladin will be back, though.

Oq8Z3mT.gif

OK, that got me. Also, stro: no crossing the streams. I called you an asshole, sure, but it wasn't without affection :p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
did Molly Holly not have a single bite to eat on the Madusa/Tori/Holly Table for 3? She had so little to say, it was disappointing. Tori was terrible.

Oq8Z3mT.gif

OK, that got me. Also, stro: no crossing the streams. I called you an asshole, sure, but it wasn't without affection :p

I could talk a lot about how nobody could have possibly hated Stro, but that's just a "hey everyone, talk about why you hated this banned member!" signal and nobody wants that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a good activity to WrassleGAF to sink their teeth into.

Come up with a catchphrase that isn't "so edgy" and "ironic" for these wrestlers, the catch is that they have to say it - not just something for a shirt, it has to be a phrase that they say.

Rusev
Ambrose
Becky Lynch

"Mr Fuji what do they do to dogs in your country?"
"We oil them, broil them, fry them..."

Fuck this company

Tuesday Night Titans was seriously fucking insane.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
RIP Perspicacity, we wish you the best of luck through Halloween Havoc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think part of why the Austin gimmick as a face was so successful was due to(and WWF was ESPECIALLY bad about this) faces cheating or going for the easy route and Jesse saying, 'what the fuck' and Vince either ignoring it or saying 'well fair's fair!'

And with Austin it was just, 'I'm gonna do bad shit because I want to'. Early on there was no JR defending it and trying to justify it.

Come up with a catchphrase that isn't "so edgy" and "ironic" for these wrestlers, the catch is that they have to say it - not just something for a shirt, it has to be a phrase that they say.

Rusev
Ambrose
Becky Lynch

Rusev - Nothing wrong with "Rusev Crush"
Dean Ambrose - "Walk away, while you can."
Becky Lynch - "Move or tap out."

Rusev
Ambrose
Becky Lynch

catchphrases are tough, the best ones don't rely on some surface-level things about the person saying them. "best there is, was, will be" works better than "smell what the rock is cooking" or "Rest In Peace" because Bret's phrase speaks about who he is, an arrogant and tough competitor while the other two are tailor-made to push t-shirts.

I know it was dumb, but I really liked Becky's tirade on ghosts, robots, dinosaurs, et al. on Miz TV, they could totally expand on that~

How many male wrestlers on the WWE roster escape the typical naming conventions? Ryback's the only one I think off, Cesaro & Neville don't count as they had their first names dropped. Also, excluding divas, as they apparently aren't allowed last names unless they're Bellas or the daughter of a legend.

I've got no problem with Braun Strowman, but there's too many normal sounding dudes and not enough names that make you wonder "what's that guy all about?".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think part of why the Austin gimmick as a face was so successful was due to(and WWF was ESPECIALLY bad about this) faces cheating or going for the easy route and Jesse saying, 'what the fuck' and Vince either ignoring it or saying 'well fair's fair!'

And with Austin it was just, 'I'm gonna do bad shit because I want to'. Early on there was no JR defending it and trying to justify it.

When Austin had no apologies, that's when people really wanted it. Embodied a lot of peoples' frustrations.

Rusev - Nothing wrong with "Rusev Crush"
Dean Ambrose - "Walk away, while you can."
Becky Lynch - "Move or tap out."

You gotta find a new one for RuRu though. Not sure how I feel about your submissions though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Becky is a goober and I can never buy her with any kind of 'cool catchphrase'

Her character needs a complete rework from what I've seen of it. She's got even less of one than Charlotte. Who's character is 'my dad is famous?'

You know what are two great wrestler names?
Scott Hall and Kevin Nash

When Austin had no apologies, that's when people really wanted it. Embodied a lot of peoples' frustrations.

You gotta find a new one for RuRu though. Not sure how I feel about your submissions though.

I dashed mine off after about three minutes of thought, which is the exact amount pro wrestling deserves!

Becky is a goober and I can never buy her with any kind of 'cool catchphrase'

Her character needs a complete rework from what I've seen of it. She's got even less of one than Charlotte. Who's character is 'my dad is famous?'

For a while, Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase, Jr.

I'm pretty sure that Kevin Nash could not only kick all our asses, but walk away with our moms too.
¡HarlequinPanic!;181667865 said:
catchphrases are tough, the best ones don't rely on some surface-level things about the person saying them. "best there is, was, will be" works better than "smell what the rock is cooking" or "Rest In Peace" because Bret's phrase speaks about who he is, an arrogant and tough competitor while the other two are tailor-made to push t-shirts.

I know it was dumb, but I really liked Becky's tirade on ghosts, robots, dinosaurs, et al. on Miz TV, they could totally expand on that~

Bret's catchphrase was just him being a mark for himself. It never worked better than any of The Rock's stuff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How many male wrestlers on the WWE roster escape the typical naming conventions? Ryback's the only one I think off, Cesaro & Neville don't count as they had their first names dropped. Also, excluding divas, as they apparently aren't allowed last names unless they're Bellas or the daughter of a legend.

I've got no problem with Braun Strowman, but there's too many normal sounding dudes and not enough names that make you wonder "what's that guy all about?".

I'm assuming by typical naming conventions you mean not a real-name sounding name, or a dropped first? But a created, different thing-name? I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean since I was thinking of this earlier and abandoned it, assuming things have changed.

Big E, Becky Lynch, uh...Hell I dunno.

And you're forgetting Ryback was Eustace Ryback.

Not true

Toki767

I like Big Show in theory.

I feel like Braun Strowman will be the realization of all the lost potential of Big Show.

The Giant was the realization of all the lost potential of Big Show.

Strowman may have lost by countout, but Reigns was basically beating him up outside the ring for the majority of that 10 count.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Catchphrases are lame anyways.

Yokozuna didn't need no catchphrases or nicknames. He didn't need 'The Devil's Favorite Daemon', He didn't need 'Big Evil' he was just Yokozuna and that was scary enough. Andre was just 'The Giant.' Shit, it would have been even more badass if he just went by Andre. Like that's enough mother fucker it's obvious I'm a giant

Toki767

Catchphrases are lame anyways.

Yokozuna didn't need no catchphrases or nicknames. He didn't need 'The Devil's Favorite Daemon', He didn't need 'Big Evil' he was just Yokozuna and that was scary enough. Andre was just 'The Giant.' Shit, it would have been even more badass if he just went by Andre. Like that's enough mother fucker it's obvious I'm a giant

Wasn't Yokozuna's catchphrase "Banzai"?

Ratings are in the toilet. They need to spice up Hell in a Cell. That means someone's getting chucked off the top and the only two candidates I see are Roman and Taker.

Roman would finally get his Edge/Foley moment to legitimize him and shut the smarks up.

Taker would do it just to shut up everyone who says he's too old.
But then he'd incidentally prove them right

Who do you got?

Top Bottom