• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If a younger Scott Hall had returned to the WWE part time a la Sting they would have called him like 'The Chico Man' Scott Hall, maggle
Wasn't Yokozuna's catchphrase "Banzai"?

I don't know if you can count that when it was the only thing he said

How many male wrestlers on the WWE roster escape the typical naming conventions? Ryback's the only one I think off, Cesaro & Neville don't count as they had their first names dropped. Also, excluding divas, as they apparently aren't allowed last names unless they're Bellas or the daughter of a legend.

I've got no problem with Braun Strowman, but there's too many normal sounding dudes and not enough names that make you wonder "what's that guy all about?".

Not to draw the equivalency between MMA and pro wrestling again, but Jon Jones, Conor McGregor, T.J. Dillashaw, Chris Weidman, and Daniel Cormier are not bizarre names, but they're memorable. Fabricio Werdum only sounds exotic because he's Brazilian.

If we go back to UFC's biggest stars historically, Georges St. Pierre looks cool in print, but he's also French Canadian. Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, Ken Shamrock, B.J. Penn, Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell and Anderson Silva all have fairly normal names.

I'll give that Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey have alliteration going for them, while Conor McGregor has the hard "c" sound in both his first and last names. But none of those names is exactly "Hulk Hogan" or "Randy Savage."

The idea of giving a guy like Braun Stroman a weird name works if you actually have plans for the guy. But Braun Stroman is going to be lucky to be Erick Rowan in 9 months, so what's the difference between naming him Braun Stroman or Miles Henderson?

Toki767

Ratings are in the toilet. They need to spice up Hell in a Cell. That means someone's getting chucked off the top and the only two candidates I see are Roman and Taker.

Roman would finally get his Edge/Foley moment to legitimize him and shut the smarks up.

Taker would do it just to shut up everyone who says he's too old.
But then he'd incidentally prove them right

Who do you got?

I think Bray is more likely to take a crazy bump than Roman.

That said, WWE aren't going to let anyone take a Foley type bump.

Coming up with a good wrestling name that doubles as a possible "real name" is tough. Something to do with syllables and how it hits the ear. No wonder it takes guys so long to come up with a good one.

Fox318

Ratings are in the toilet. They need to spice up Hell in a Cell. That means someone's getting chucked off the top and the only two candidates I see are Roman and Taker.

Roman would finally get his Edge/Foley moment to legitimize him and shut the smarks up.

Taker would do it just to shut up everyone who says he's too old.
But then he'd incidentally prove them right

Who do you got?

Hell in a Cell is almost impossible to top after 1998 and even more impossible without blood.

I mean they get to a point where its just a hardcore match with limited viability or they wind up working a head lock in a match that should scream: "OH SHIT ITS FINALLY GETTING SETTLED TONIGHT".

You want to make Roman look like a bad ass? Have him beat down on Bray and not give a crap about the Belt or a win.

This should be what the Bray-Roman feud is like

pksab05.jpg

Coming up with a good wrestling name that doubles as a possible "real name" is tough. Something to do with syllables and how it hits the ear. No wonder it takes guys so long to come up with a good one.

I'm pretty sure it involves more work than picking an athlete you liked and altering the name slightly or smashing names of two black pop culture figures together.

See: Ken Dykstra (baseball player Lenny Dykstra), Apollo Crews (Apollo Creed and Terry Crews).

And The Ryback would actually work if they explained why that was his name. Even Cesaro and Neville losing their first names or Big E losing his last name would work with a big of character explanation. But no, they just lose parts of their names one day with no reason or explanation.

Mizerman

I think with getting both a good wrestling name and catchphrase is for them not to try so hard in doing. Make them develop naturally instead of simply fulfilling some sort of quota.

dream

I'm pretty sure that Kevin Nash could not only kick all our asses, but walk away with our moms too.

Disagree, friend. Kevin Nash got his ass beat by his teenage son. Is there anything more emasculating and gimmick-killing than getting pummeled by your own seed?

Disagree, friend. Kevin Nash got his ass beat by his teenage son. Is there anything more emasculating and gimmick-killing than getting pummeled by your own seed?

I forgot about that. But I would also argue that a caring father would not want to destroy his son in a fight.

EDIT: Wait, I'm remembering wrong apparently?

Hex

Banned
As far as Stroman goes..

qytKNg6.jpg
"Hey Vince! I've got it, we will call him STRONGMAN!"

Ls3QvNi.png
"I LOVE IT"

dLh9crG.png

DVVOYpw.jpg
"I've got it! If we take away the NG, we will call him STROMAN!"

FQ9dwSa.jpg

Ls3QvNi.png
"I LOVE IT"

HuDo37l.gif

Not to draw the equivalency between MMA and pro wrestling again, but Jon Jones, Conor McGregor, T.J. Dillashaw, Chris Weidman, and Daniel Cormier are not bizarre names, but they're memorable. Fabricio Werdum only sounds exotic because he's Brazilian.

If we go back to UFC's biggest stars historically, Georges St. Pierre looks cool in print, but he's also French Canadian. Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, Ken Shamrock, B.J. Penn, Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell and Anderson Silva all have fairly normal names.

The idea of giving a guy like Braun Stroman a weird name works if you actually have plans for the guy. But Braun Stroman is going to be lucky to be Erick Rowan in 9 months, so what's the difference between naming him Braun Stroman or Miles Henderson?

And well hear about him on the INDY scene for the next 10 years under the name Bran Strongman when the WWE releases him.

And well hear about him on the INDY scene for the next 10 years under the name Bran Strongman when the WWE releases him.

Don't forget World Famous TV Wrestling Clown? Oh no, that's definitely not Doink. Disregard the make-up and costume. Just look at the name: it says "World Famous TV Wrestling Clown," not this "Doink" you speak of.

And damn it, our game is named "U-Gene," and he is in no way supposed to remind you of "Eugene."

I still can't believe that according to wiki we'd ideas for Daniel Bryan's ring name were Buddy Peacock and Lloyd Bonaire. Imagine WM30 ending with Lilian Garcia proclaiming "And NEW wwe champion... BUDDY PEACOCK!"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I still can't believe that according to wiki we'd ideas for Daniel Bryan's ring name were Buddy Peacock and Lloyd Bonaire. Imagine WM30 ending with Lilian Garcia proclaiming "And NEW wwe champion... BUDDY PEACOCK!"

Dude called himself 'The Dazzler' so none of that's a surprise

Fox318

Part of the problem with WWE is they obsess over gimmick and name ownership.

Its no coincidence that the people with real sounding names get spots on TV.

Randy Savage didn't go by just Macho.

Toki767

I still remember when they officially announced his name was Daniel Bryan. Everyone thought it was the most unimaginative name ever. It was probably for the best though.

They sure picked well with Roman Reigns though. Like...how much more manly a name could you get than that?

I still remember when they officially announced his name was Daniel Bryan. Everyone thought it was the most unimaginative name ever. It was probably for the best though.

They sure picked well with Roman Reigns though. Like...how much more manly a name could you get than that?

Daniel Bryan is genius because it fits in perfectly with the rhythm of the typical chant.

The Dazzler was awesome.

Second only to dick head Bryan

Barrage

I'm a firm believer that the best wrestling name of all time is Lex Luger . Exciting enough to stand out against regular names (Lex Luger Vs Tully Blanchard, im goin with Lex) but fantastical enough to not stand out against the otherworldly names (Lex Luger Vs the Undertaker works. Shelton Benjamin Vs The Undertaker doesn't). The name is literally too good for him to ever be a jobber.

Going by these rules, Razor Ramon and Hulk Hogan are also Top 5 Names.

Mizerman

I still remember that before "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, the potential names were Ice Dagger, Chilly McFreeze, Fang McFrost and Otto von Ruthless.

I mean, Ice Dagger is kinda decent if done right, but stuff like Chilly McFreeze and Fang McFrost is asking for a lifetime subscription to the low mid card.

Top Bottom