• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Table for 3 should be way longer than 21 minutes, especially if they're going to bring in three legends (Sting, DDP, Vader). those dudes could probably talk for 3 hours and put out something far more entertaining than Raw.

I do wonder what is on the cutting floor.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If they're going with Fantasma as the big bad of AAA and the leader of Sociedad, he needs to either go full King Cuerno getup or blend it into his current attire. The chocolate champion is great and all, but sexy bodybuilder luchador is a midcard gimmick. The Cuerno look looks like a super villain though. Way better look for a Big Bad.

DMczaf

Fuck those Ricans. I was a Tito Santana guy.

800px-Tito_Santana_2011b.jpg

Any insight why Ric Flair was only in the WWF for a year and a half in the early 90s?

Basically the Jim Herd-ran WCW at the time wanted Flair to cut his hair, change his gimmick and push him down the card as they felt he was too old to be a top star at that point. Flair was pissed at the very idea and bailed for WWF instead, briefly taking the NWA/WCW World Title with him due to them not paying back the deposit he had on the belt. From there they tried to build to a Hogan/Flair feud, but apparently the match didn't test well at house shows (possibly because said test shows were done on the west coast where Flair didn't have as great a presence), and instead moved on to Savage/Flair instead, with a follow up feud with Mr. Perfect when they had to emergency face-turn Perfect for the Survivor Series '92 tag match since Ultimate Warrior had bailed. After that, he returned to WCW because Herd had left and the company was kinda floundering without him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've watched Del Rio/Patron in AAA/Lucha Underground/WWE enough at this point to decide that dude is as bad as Sheamus. Like he can do a bunch of moves soundly but he's so fucking boring. His character is so flat and unlikable. He's real over in AAA, especially with women, but he comes out monthly and cuts these boring as fuck Mexican patriot promos that are worse than the most pandering John Cena trash then he proceeds to wrestle his opponent that was like specifically picked to make him look good. It's ALWAYS some American ex-WWE/WWE-ish wrestler who hates Mexico and twirls their mustache. He has these matches where moves happen but it's completely uninteresting because he can't tell any kind of story in the ring.

And he never feels like a big deal. He's the main champion and he doesn't feel like it at all. His main event spots just feel like charity. As opposed to Rey who has been really refreshing in AAA. Rey comes off as a legit living legend and that almost everyone likes him and even the people who don't, respect him and what he's done for lucha libre. He's putting in as much effort as he can at his age and it's really surprising just how much he does. Unlike a John Cena or whatever, he really does elevate anyone he wrestles against or wrestles with. I think it makes new fans look at someone like Psycho Clown or Fenix as his partners and go, 'woah this guy's the real deal if he's with Rey' which I imagine is great for fans who started watching due to Rey being there. And he really feels like he's doing it because he loves it and enjoys it.

Where as Del Rio just always strikes me as miserable outside of the ring.

RBH

I still believe that Alberto Del Rio was killed on the spot when he lost at WrestleMania 27.

From that point forward, he never regained that edge to his character that he previously had during his first few months in the WWE.

Well, I always took everyone's word when they said Del Rio was great outside of WWE...

Sheamus and him were two guys that just kept getting everything with seemingly no reason or just cause behind it. They were/are so boring.

shanafan

Basically the Jim Herd-ran WCW at the time wanted Flair to cut his hair, change his gimmick and push him down the card as they felt he was too old to be a top star at that point. Flair was pissed at the very idea and bailed for WWF instead, briefly taking the NWA/WCW World Title with him due to them not paying back the deposit he had on the belt. From there they tried to build to a Hogan/Flair feud, but apparently the match didn't test well at house shows (possibly because said test shows were done on the west coast where Flair didn't have as great a presence), and instead moved on to Savage/Flair instead, with a follow up feud with Mr. Perfect when they had to emergency face-turn Perfect for the Survivor Series '92 tag match since Ultimate Warrior had bailed. After that, he returned to WCW because Herd had left and the company was kinda floundering without him.

Nice, thanks! I read on Wikipedia that Flair said that year and a half were the best moments in his career. Wonder how much truth was to that.

Anth0ny

I've watched Del Rio/Patron in AAA/Lucha Underground/WWE enough at this point to decide that dude is as bad as Sheamus. Like he can do a bunch of moves soundly but he's so fucking boring. His character is so flat and unlikable. He's real over in AAA, especially with women, but he comes out monthly and cuts these boring as fuck Mexican patriot promos that are worse than the most pandering John Cena trash then he proceeds to wrestle his opponent that was like specifically picked to make him look good. It's ALWAYS some American ex-WWE/WWE-ish wrestler who hates Mexico and twirls their mustache. He has these matches where moves happen but it's completely uninteresting because he can't tell any kind of story in the ring.

And he never feels like a big deal. He's the main champion and he doesn't feel like it at all. His main event spots just feel like charity. As opposed to Rey who has been really refreshing in AAA. Rey comes off as a legit living legend and that almost everyone likes him and even the people who don't, respect him and what he's done for lucha libre. He's putting in as much effort as he can at his age and it's really surprising just how much he does. Unlike a John Cena or whatever, he really does elevate anyone he wrestles against or wrestles with. I think it makes new fans look at someone like Psycho Clown or Fenix as his partners and go, 'woah this guy's the real deal if he's with Rey' which I imagine is great for fans who started watching due to Rey being there. And he really feels like he's doing it because he loves it and enjoys it.

Where as Del Rio just always strikes me as miserable outside of the ring.

del rio was always in that orton/sheamus tier of being boring as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no matter what

Twilight Princess had some awesome art design in parts, and the dungeons were fun as fuck.

On-topic: Sheamus is a great, great wrestler. I remember just a year ago he had a pretty good much with Curtis Axel, got attacked by Ryback, then proceeded to have a hoss as fuck brutal match with Ryback that was even better. And he's been wrestling quite well as a heel since his turn, and his Irish Viking douchebag look is loathsome in a good way.

Had he not been booked in the WWE "shove'em down their throat" fashion, or perhaps had been around in the late 80s or early 90s, I think he'd be better-regarded than he is now.

del Rio can fuck off, though. I appreciate that the dude wrestles with psychology, unlike most in WWE do/did, but man, is he boring.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hilariously enough, after messing up the BFG tournament two years in a row and then skipping it two years in a row TNA figured out how to smartly do a round robin tournament in their hour of most need. Basically the only mistake they made was featuring Bram on it, but if I remember the results right its not as if he's a big deal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bob Orton holding down Mr T while Roddy Piper whips his back with a belt

Ventura: "Looks to me like Roots 2, McMahon"

Fuck this company

I refuse to believe that Triple H isn't interested in getting Ricochet the second his commitment to LU wavers even slightly. It's not hard to see why they went for PAC, but three years and a failed call-up for Neville later, I think it's easy to see that Ricochet has far more potential, being arguably just as innovative and skillful in his flippy dippies and about 20x handsomer.

somedevil

Meltzer Star Ratings for NXT Respect:

Finn Bálor & Samoa Joe def Dash Wilder & Scott Dawson 3 Stars

Baron Corbin and Ryhno vs Jason Jordon and Chad Gable 3.5 stars

Asuka vs Dana Brooke 3.25 stars

Apollo Crews vs Tyler Breeze 3.25 stars

Finn Balor and Joe vs Corbin and Rhyno 3 stars

Bayley vs Banks 4.25 stars

Maybe its me but the Gable match should of hit 4 stars.

Top Bottom