• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They probably finally realized Sting was one dimensional Surfer Dude. Goth paint on a surfer brah but it's still a surfer brah

That and Hogan sandbagged him badly to protect his spot, which was never really in doubt.

I'm not even talking about the not fast fast count, but how for literally the first time since the heel turn Hulk Hogan isn't wrestling as a chickenshit and is instead 1984 unstoppable Hulk.

He puts over Macho/Lex/The Giant/and no hips looking kinda like AJ Styles Hot Rod in the past eighteen months but when it comes time for him to actually lose in the biggest match of all time he can't fucking do it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That and Hogan sandbagged him badly to protect his spot, which was never really in doubt.

I'm not even talking about the not fast fast count, but how for literally the first time since the heel turn Hulk Hogan isn't wrestling as a chickenshit and is instead 1984 unstoppable Hulk.

He puts over Macho/Lex/The Giant/and no hips looking kinda like AJ Styles Hot Rod in the past eighteen months but when it comes time for him to actually lose in the biggest match of all time he can't fucking do it.

Sounds to me like Sting was worse than Macho, Lex, The Giant, and Roddy Piper and Hogan saw through the gaudy Crow bullshit

Brother

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sounds to me like Sting was worse than Macho, Lex, The Giant, and Roddy Piper and Hogan saw through the gaudy Crow bullshit

Brother

Of course that ICON of WCW is worse than a bunch of WWF dudes (Giant totally counts being the Son of Andre)

Beefer has a more competitive Starrcade match with Hogan too!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My favorite thing about The Big Show is that they kept the continuity of him being Andre's son from WCW to WWF. Like that someone thought, 'That's so brilliant! We have to use it' from one set of writers to another

That link lead me to this.

So basically Starrcade 97 sucked because Sting wasn't tan.

what the fuck. he didn't have a tan. holy shit. HE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE A TAN! HULK HOGAN DESTROYED HIS SOUL AND HE WOULD NOT RECLAIM IT UNTIL HE DEFEATED THE NWO! That was the entire point to his character!

He was going through personal issues? Tough shit! The starrcade match wasn't at fault in any way from Sting, Sting did his part wonderfully...they just booked a fucking awful match and fucked up everything about it. That's the worst excuse I've ever heard. They burned all that time and energy and effort put into that entire story because Sting didn't have a tan and wasn't living up to their standards. What the god damn fuck.

That match is what made me stop watching wrestling until around 2012, because even then I knew that was a BS ending threw away all the buildup and excitement over that match. Bullshit. Fuck Eric Bischoff and fuck Hulk Hogan. I can hear Hogan now going "BROTHER, look at him, BROTHER, he doesn't have a tan. He's not ready, brother. We need to keep this going."

I lost a lot of respect for Bischoff for this bullshit justification. No one in that fucking audience gave a shit that Sting didn't have a god damn tan. He didn't stumble throughout that match. The people at fault for that match is you and hogan for deciding that they should just throw it all away.

this topic

and the woman herself who cannot stop branding every word she says

has made me hate stephanie

when i came in i was all 'ha, she's fun and playful!'

now i hate her

i still like cena

fuck many of you

also i love you

that's my poem

miserable

yoshi1uho9w.gif

buy this game friends

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
My favorite thing about The Big Show is that they kept the continuity of him being Andre's son from WCW to WWF. Like that someone thought, 'That's so brilliant! We have to use it' from one set of writers to another

Wait, they did? When was that mentioned? I mean it clearly must've been abandoned rather quickly, since they did the whole Big Show/Boss Man angle (y'know, the whole "Big Show's father's funeral" bit) in 1999, which wasn't that long after Show debuted in WWF.

So it's been what? 15 years now but the whole Hogan and JJ think, when Hogan commented on why the company is going to shit was that real? Or scripted also, how much is Russo's "worked" shoot crossed the line? Someone give the full story on this.

I never watched much WcW except Saturday nights and Thunder. And the first hour before raw.

Goldberg's WWE debut is pretty funny. Literally the night before was Austin's last match. The next raw, The Rock comes out (as a heel again) and they say

hell

LET'S STICK HIM UP AGAINST ANOTHER BALD WHITE GUY WITH A GOATEE

Forkball

Goldberg's WWE debut is pretty funny. Literally the night before was Austin's last match. The next raw, The Rock comes out (as a heel again) and they say

hell

LET'S STICK HIM UP AGAINST ANOTHER BALD WHITE GUY WITH A GOATEE

Goldberg's one year run in the WWE looks amazing on paper.

Beat Rock
Beat Jericho
Beat HBK
Beat Orton
Beat Triple H
Beat Lesnar

Then he left forever.

Goldberg's one year run in the WWE looks amazing on paper.

Beat Rock
Beat Jericho
Beat HBK
Beat Orton
Beat Triple H
Beat Lesnar

Then he left forever.

Wow, didn't know he did all that. And people say his run sucks, though, right? So were the matches no good? Cos like you said, on paper that looks like some fun.

Forkball

Wow, didn't know he did all that. And people say his run sucks, though, right? So were the matches no good? Cos like you said, on paper that looks like some fun.

Yeah his matches weren't exactly memorable even though he had many "dream matches." Probably the biggest one was the elimination chamber match at Summerslam where he destroyed everyone, but still lost to Triple H via interference. Many people point to that match as the biggest booking mistake in his run, but there was much more than that. Basically the MYSTIQUE OF GOLDBERG was already gone, so what do you even do with him? He could not fit into the WWE style of 15 minute promos and 15-20 minute matches. He was just kind of thrown into matches against popular guys like Rock and Jericho, and got booed for it. Goldberg did manage to win the championship off of Triple H, but some feel that Triple H was booked as some insurmountable obstacle for Goldberg win in reality he was... Triple H. Goldberg also never really put anyone over during his run (except Trips lulz) so he basically racked up a bunch of wins in mediocre matches against more popular guys, had a championship run, and left forever. In the end they just really didn't have anything interesting for him to do.

Ithil

Emphasis is on paper. They majorly screwed the pooch on his booking many times, the biggest one being with Triple H, who was in full reign of terror era then.

klonere

Banned
All I've seen of Goldberg's WWE run is him coming out the spear The Rock. He manages to make a 30 second promo be lame and unconvincing. He spears Rock. He leaves. It was very ho-hum.

tbf to Goldberg it'd be almost impossible to match beating Hogan on Nitro for the title, based off the reactions of the crowd alone.

Striker

All I've seen of Goldberg's WWE run is him coming out the spear The Rock. He manages to make a 30 second promo be lame and unconvincing. He spears Rock. He leaves. It was very ho-hum.

tbf to Goldberg it'd be almost impossible to match beating Hogan on Nitro for the title, based off the reactions of the crowd alone.
https://youtu.be/hh8Y9YIV8Wo?t=2m47s

Although the feud wasn't long, I loved the confrontations between Goldberg and The Rock. Rocky obviously got cheers in some cases but didn't pander and acted like a true heel.

And to think Smackdown was getting equal ratings, and in some cases higher than Raw was doing in '02-'04. You kind of thought people went tiresome over the Triple H Reign of Terror. You know they miss those latino crowds coming just for guys like Eddie and Rey.

Zach

An interesting thought from the Austin/Raven podcast: Raven said the ol' Irish whip reversal should be a high spot, as opposed to a regular occurrence. What do you guys think? Another welcome back-to-the-basics approach or would this be going too far back in time?

Entropia

No One Remembers
An interesting thought from the Austin/Raven podcast: Raven said the ol' Irish whip reversal should be a high spot, as opposed to a regular occurrence. What do you guys think? Another welcome back-to-the-basics approach or would this be going too far back in time?

That's so... bad.

DMczaf

From Meltz today:

The original plan for Punk's return after the Pipe Bomb + Title win was for Triple H to lay him out on his first return to Raw.

So hey guys, that storyline could have been worse!

bjork

The only thing that sucked about Goldberg's WWE run is having to watch Goldberg on my TV. Feed him tons of guys and all he can bitch about is HHH doesn't like me and they tried to bury his character by having goldust put a wig on him. I'm glad his WMXX match went how it did.

Maybe a little too far back. Does anyone still do an atomic drop? Those used to always pop crowds back in the good old days.

So the rumored original plan for the burying of the hottest angle wrestling had produced in years is somehow even worse than the shit that actually happened lol. :|

:(

I miss Punk but for his sanity I'm glad he is probably in a happier place right now with AJ and no Mr. H's.

Recall

So RAW will be shit we all know that for sure but the podcast could be amazing. I hope Brock flips the table and they square off face to face because why not...

Top Bottom