• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Edit: But yeah, I more or less agree with the article. I feel like I'm always railing against Hogan, Sting, and everyone else about Starrcade '97, though, so I'll leave it alone. This time.

Nah let's hear it. I'm always interested in getting new perspectives of wrasslin' history.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I remember it
CHuxMTxUAAAcbl0.jpg

pnXXdho.jpg

Ric Flair

Banned
The Once and Future Sting: The Good Guy Who Never Finished First

An interesting read after there was a brief discussion about the Starrcade fuckery in here last night.

Made me think of this:

eD6dZF3.jpg

Except D-Bry got his big moment clean as a whistle.

I disagree with the idea that losing to Rollins was a bad idea. It wouldn't make sense to put an old as shit Sting over Seth Rollins. What would Sting honestly get out of that win? He could lose every match he's in and it wouldn't mean a thing to him.
Edit: But fuck Triple H though. That asshole has to win every match he's in.

Regarding: The Stinger and that article.

I think that all works from a fan's perspective for sure but I think Sting is kind of like Jericho where he knows he's making damn good money and that politicking is for the birds when everyone already loves you regardless of your record once you're at that level.

He looks like Draco Malfoy! What would you have us do, ignore the fact?

Nah wrestling fans would rather pay 9.99 monthly and waste 3-6 hours of their week watching something they 'hate' and pirate other wrestling to 'see if they like it'

I used to insist that piracy was a good tool for introducing fans to indie wrestling, but I've since realised that the vast majority who download are perfectly happy to go without if they can't obtain a show for free.

Zach

¡HarlequinPanic!;182220672 said:

I think that all works from a fan's perspective for sure but I think Sting is kind of like Jericho where he knows he's making damn good money and that politicking is for the birds when everyone already loves you regardless of your record once you're at that level.

There's nothing wrong with being disinterested in politicking, but he should've fought for squashing Hogan decisively at Starrcade '97. It was one of the biggest angles of all time. It's poor form to leave his fans out to dry like he did and it will forever negatively affect his legacy.

There's nothing wrong with being disinterested in politicking, but he should've fought for squashing Hogan decisively at Starrcade '97. It was one of the biggest angles of all time. It's poor form to leave his fans out to dry like he did and it will forever negatively affect his legacy.

Maybe, but Hogan's probably a formidable opponent to go up against like that. The article says bischoff wasn't behind Sting, Hogan probably wasn't for some reason, and even the ref was in on the act by counting like a dope (on someone's order apparently).

I don't know how you can really overcome that, at least bret already had money in the bank when he got screwed.

¡HarlequinPanic!;182220672 said:

Jericho didn't have the upside Sting had though.

Reading that article just made me think of Bryan and how there's a big "What If?" hovering over his WWE career, for me at least.

But I don't know shit.

Some rumors popping up that Breeze will be paired with Summer Rae. I would not be opposed to this. Actually, I think it could be pretty entertaining. Both are really good with their characters, and they fit together.

I've enjoyed Summer Rae, but she's getting that kiss of death stink about her.

Zach

You'll never dissuade me from thinking the Stinger could've forced a better result.

That being said, let's imagine worst case scenario for Sting standing up to Hogan and Bischoff. He's fired (or somehow not involved in the match because no one's happy). Imagine how pissed people would be if that match didn't even take place. Haha... Possibly a better end result, honestly. No, that's too harsh. Everything until they made contact was incredible. Sting was so cool.

I'm such a nerd.

Documented proof that he's dropped at least one.
3d28acb5c07b50116efa4053aa0d89a3669b77e6_hq.gif

fair enough. the documents are in. stone cold dropped 1 beer out of a hundred thousand.

his catching aim is almost perfect.

edit: please, enough with the ridiculously beautiful women gifs. i can't deal with it - i come here for some boyhood fun, not adult longing. let's spoiler tag or link that stuff, friends,

JavyOO7

Ending of Starrcade 97 was the end of WCW. Should have been Sting wrecking Hogan in 5 minutes, had a long run with the belt, nWo dies that night, then have Goldberg beat Sting at Starrcade 98 and maybe even have Goldberg never lose after that. And take the Nitro show back to 1 hour and never have Thunder.

...since I've been listening to WO/FF since Wrestlemania season, Alvarez and Co., have been raving about Roderick Strong. Then I saw that highlight reel with him against ZSJ in PWG. They also fought in Evolve 45... any other time they've fought?

The 2/11/15 show of Styles vs Tanahashi was great, even though it looks like Tana got knocked silly doing his frog splash on top of the Bullet Club. Still a good match.

Top Bottom