• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Sephzilla

Arn....time to say goodbye to that hair.....

KlfQGZa.gif

bjork

Arn looks like a retired high school math teacher

I had a math teacher in 8th grade that reminded me of Arn, except this dude would always scratch his balls behind his podium. I'm pretty sure Arn would just scratch em wherever, and spinebuster anyone who didn't like it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If Orton is out with surgery and Cena is out with ?????? there's like 3 faces on the roster, 1 of which could plausibly main event anything without getting booed. Then again, the main event of PPV being some permutation of Shield members isn't exactly new.

Fox318

If Orton is out with surgery and Cena is out with ?????? there's like 3 faces on the roster, 1 of which could plausibly main event anything without getting booed. Then again, the main event of PPV being some permutation of Shield members isn't exactly new.

get ready for it

obn2RqL.jpg

He will get the seth/HHH treatment of being all over TV despite losing and being subservient to Steph.

20 min Sheamus promos every night

Bandini

Skimming through RAW last night during football commercials made me realize something. There are no story lines I am interested in. They squandered a Stone Cold appearance as a lead in to a bland, by the books promo segment that gave us absolutely nothing new. This is the last of the build to the main event of their next PPV and it's like they aren't even trying.
Then endless 6 man tags with no stakes. It's so boring and lazy. And I don't want to hear any more crap about the writers needing to come up with 8 hours of TV every week... Between all the commercials, matches, recaps of previous things, there's really not that much time to fill. They can't even come up with one interesting thing.
I'll still watch PPVs since they're generally decent and I'm already a mark, but it's very easy to see why business is sliding. They're going to keep bleeding viewers until some major changes happen.

Kane
Ziggler (ugh)
Ambrose
Reigns
Ryback

Can't strap a rocket to Kalisto to build the Latin star.

Maybe it's time for some Rage, Riley; Rage.

Correction: it's never time for Alex Riley unless it's Future Endeavor season.

get ready for it

obn2RqL.jpg

He will get the seth/HHH treatment of being all over TV despite losing and being subservient to Steph.

20 min Sheamus promos every night

I don't look stupid; you look stupid.
Great White Power.
Respect the 'hawk.

Colocho

Banned
If Hell in a Cell sucks donkey balls, I might just do what everyone is doing and simply stop watching (or stop having it on as background noise like you're supposed to).

I'm usually not one to complain about the WWE, I came back to it during december 14'/january 15', and was enjoying the product for what it was, obviously it had plenty of problems, but there was always something to get excited about or something to tune in for until right about Summerslam where I started to lose interest on a weekly basis.

Now, I don't know if it's always like this during this time of the year, but it's like they're not even trying anymore. You have your next face of the company (Roman) in a 4 month long feud that no one gives a fuck about, guys that are over (Ambrose, Orton) get absolutely no interesting shit to do, and don't even get me started on the #DivasRevolution which is probably the biggest missed opportunity I've seen the WWE do.

If Hell in a Cell sucks donkey balls, I might just do what everyone is doing and simply stop watching (or stop having it on as background noise like you're supposed to).

I'm usually not one to complain about the WWE, I came back to it during december 14'/january 15', and was enjoying the product for what it was, obviously it had plenty of problems, but there was always something to get excited about or something to tune in for until right about Summerslam where I started to lose interest on a weekly basis.

Now, I don't know if it's always like this during this time of the year, but it's like they're not even trying anymore. You have your next face of the company (Roman) in a 4 month long feud that no one gives a fuck about, guys that are over (Ambrose, Orton) get absolutely no interesting shit to do, and don't even get me started on the #DivasRevolution which is probably the biggest missed opportunity I've seen the WWE do.

It's going to suck and blow.

From the people who brought you the WCW/ECW Invasion and the WWE Summer of Punk comes #DivasRevolution.

I'm shocked (SHOCKED~!) that it's another botched angle.

Let's face it, we all know who the open challenge is going to be

That said, I can't wait to see 7 weeks from HIAC when Cena comes back and gets his belt back from Tyler Febreeze

If he isn't called that on air at least once, assume something horrible has happened to Cena or Vince

It's going to suck and blow.

You kidding?

Demon Kane is finally gonna give that weasel, Seth Rollins what he deserves!

The dudleys are gonna flatten those naughty new dayers!

Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt are gonna have a great match!

Brock and the Undertaker have their last match!

This PPV is gonna be great!

Sounds to me that Austin was expecting a sort of give and take "my opinion, your opinion" on the business like with most of his guests, but was legit shook at how little Brock gives a shit.

Not hard to look natural in-ring when you have 5 moves and you're built like he is.

I came away disappointed overall. I wish some of that stuff he said I had remained ignorant to. The dude lacks the passion that most of us and his peers bring to the industry. That he is physically capable of being successful alone and unapologetic about it kinda sours him onscreen in my eyes. I appreciate his work ethic, but his emphasis on not giving a shit was unfortunate.

edit: Also, I have to say, this was Austin's weakest job by far as an interviewer. He asked some really dumb questions. "who sued who? The problem is you need to think two questions ahead of yourself and there was nowhere the answer to that question would lead anywhere interesting. "I did." and then what? What's the point you're trying to make there, Steve?

For me, I was just really curious to see where Brock was at mentally with his approach to doing this job. It made me laugh so much to discover he is exactly the same as he's always been - he doesn't care at all. He just wants money, he kind of likes performing, and that's it. I thought maybe cos he has been so good this past year that he might have discovered something in himself, but he hasn't. He's just a good performer.

Also, it's interesting that like some people pointed out that if Brock isn't in his beast persona where he gets to be tough and menacing, he's extremely awkward. The guy talked for 30 minutes about farming and hunting and being alone. Austin was clearly struggling to get some passion out of him, and I think that's why this was an awkward interview - because Brock's real personality is just awkward and stilted. The guy has no business with a mic, but he's such a good performer and has such an interesting career that we're all dying to hear what he has to say.

And the hour did produce a few gems of Brock's callous disinterest. He can't even pretend to care. I was waiting for that wrestlemania 20 question wondering so is he gonna apologise for that match, or what? And he barely even remembers what the fuck Austin is talking about.

Anth0ny

wait

kane wasn't on the go home show for hell in a cell, an event he is main eventing for the title?

orton is kill?

cena is out for a month and a half?

things are lookin up for ol' gil

imBask

Banned
wait

kane wasn't on the go home show for hell in a cell, an event he is main eventing for the title?

orton is kill?

it opens the way for newer stars!

such as Mark Henry, Undertaker, Big Show, Jericho, Sheamus

wait

orton is kill?

Dave said it's good news if you're a Dean fan, as for the second year in a row they're forced to use him more than they want for at least a month because nobody's fucking left

Zach

I didn't watch the Brock Stevecast because I don't think the guy is interesting. Heck, I don't even really care about his wrestling. He's imposing and athletically impressive, sure, but he's always been kind of dull. I don't consider him a top guy at all in the big scheme of things.

He also strikes me as a dick, which seems to be what a lot of guys are into. What a manly man's man of manliness. I guess I just don't get off on the whole tellin' it like it is, straight-shootin' schtick in general.

I'm just rambling here while my work computer restarts. >_>

imBask

Banned
Brock doesn't give a shit, but every PPV he's in it's the only match I wanna watch and it's usually a really good match

imagine if he gave a fuck

imBask

Banned
Seriously though backstage politics look cancerous and I wouldn't wanna take part in any of that crap, he's lucky enough to be in a position where he can bypass all of that garbage

i'd do the same if I was him, fuck people, especially in the wrestling business

Dave said it's good news if you're a Dean fan, as for the second year in a row they're forced to use him more than they want for at least a month because nobody's fucking left

What wacky ways will Dean Ambrose loses main event level matches by this year?

I think 2015 is when a wrestler slips on an opponent's sweat or spit on the mat, takes a back bump, gets knocked out, and takes the three second tan. I believe you can pull this off, Ambrose.

I'd say physically gifted, as opposed to talented. THERE I SAID IT.

I think he's definitely got talent, or skill, however you want to put it. There are some guys on WWE who look as impressive as Lesnar but just don't have that presence he brings, and he does that through his movements and characterisations.

I mean for example, the sitting up and laughing thing. Who knows whether that was Brock's idea, or Heyman's, or Vince, or someone else - but he pulled it off massively. The cameras even missed it first time so my hunch is that it's something he decided to do, and that little moment, and a bunch of others like suplex city, bitch - which was clearly a little bit of improv - sell his character. He is very good in the ring, in terms of portraying his character. So I don't think it's just being physically gifted. The guy is only 6'3, and yeah his body is built like a tank but he must work hard for that - maybe not as hard as some other guys, but we're just talking shit when we get into that.

Also about you not liking him, I wanted to say - I don't like him much either. I'm just interested in him, he's a great entertainer. The real guy does seem like an asshole, and even kind of boring (i was laughing at that farm and car talk BECAUSE it is boring), but when it comes to how this guy approaches this work, I'm really curious. He's in a unique position, is hugely successful and probably one of the highest paid entertainers in the world for the work he puts in. I wanna know how that all works, how he thinks about it.

Mr. Jimmy

Hi WrassleGaf!

I think it's the first time I post here, I usually come but just to read the thread, I live in México, Monterrey specifically and I just wanted to share with you my experience in the Live Event this recent weekend.

I finally was able to bring my grandpa to a WWE house show, when I was little he introduced me to Lucha Libre and I was amazed, lots of high flying moves and fun characters, we used to go each weekend and I was really happy to see him chanting and very excited to see the Undertaker, Roman, Bray and Cesaro. I know that it's a house show, but it's one of the few opportunities we have to see them here so we were very excited.

Just wanted to share some thoughts about what I saw there: There were a lot, and I mean a lot of kids. The Lucha Dragons were heavily advertised and the kids were going crazy for the masks. Kalisto was really over with the crowd, even Sin Cara had nice reactions but if the WWE really wants to have a hispanic star, Kalisto is all they need.

And I was glad to see that Cesaro had a very nice reaction, the crowd was into the match, I hope he has a nice career in WWE.

Roman also had a nice pop, of course also the Undertaker. But the strangest thing was, Orton vs Shaemus was announced, but Orton didn't come to México and Shaemus had a match against Fandango. Shaemus had a really big pop and I was confused, they were booing all the heels, except Shaemus. Then Shaemus grabbed the mic and say "Monterrey Estúpido" and of course everyone started booing but I was told that in México City was the same. Maybe Shaemus is the hispanic superstar WWE is looking for haha.

Hi WrassleGaf!

I think it's the first time I post here, I usually come but just to read the thread, I live in México, Monterrey specifically and I just wanted to share with you my experience in the Live Event this recent weekend.

I finally was able to bring my grandpa to a WWE house show, when I was little he introduced me to Lucha Libre and I was amazed, lots of high flying moves and fun characters, we used to go each weekend and I was really happy to see him chanting and very excited to see the Undertaker, Roman, Bray and Cesaro. I know that it's a house show, but it's one of the few opportunities we have to see them here so we were very excited.

Just wanted to share some thoughts about what I saw there: There were a lot, and I mean a lot of kids. The Lucha Dragons were heavily advertised and the kids were going crazy for the masks. Kalisto was really over with the crowd, even Sin Cara had nice reactions but if the WWE really wants to have a hispanic star, Kalisto is all they need.

And I was glad to see that Cesaro had a very nice reaction, the crowd was into the match, I hope he has a nice career in WWE.

Roman also had a nice pop, of course also the Undertaker. But the strangest thing was, Orton vs Shaemus was announced, but Orton didn't come to México and Shaemus had a match against Fandango. Shaemus had a really big pop and I was confused, they were booing all the heels, except Shaemus. Then Shaemus grabbed the mic and say "Monterrey Estúpido" and of course everyone started booing but I was told that in México City was the same. Maybe Shaemus is the hispanic superstar WWE is looking for haha.
Awesome, glad you and your grandpa had a great time. You saw the beginning of a major Fandango push, you should consider yourself lucky.

Brock has great psychology. He's a fantastic seller, he knows how to do cool things with his strength and his vertical leap, he knows how to move around like a monster, and his face is capable of telling a story better than most of the guys in ring.

Zach

Yeah, what you guys are saying about Brock is fair. It's not really black or white, he's talented or he's not. I'm just joshing you guys about him being an untalented hack. He's got some talent, I just don't think he's one of the greats. And he's a dickbutt, so that doesn't help.

Really though, I'm just railing against him because enough is enough and it's time for a change.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vince, what's wrong? Has your life entered a tailspin after not hanging out with me and Vader that one day?

You got to hang out with that soft ass dude? Damn. And yeah, my life's a weird thing right now.

bjork

You won't say that to Brock though.

I would. I'd be like "more like Cock Lesnar am I right" and then when I woke up from my coma, I'm calling my lawyer.

Hi WrassleGaf!

That's cool that you got to take your grandpa. I wouldn't even say "just a house show," because I've generally found the house shows to be more fun and loose. Sounds like it was a good time, which is the entire point, right?

Also, thread welcome, what's your fave five etc.

I'd say physically gifted, as opposed to talented. THERE I SAID IT.

Brock, in his original run, had one of the most staggering, rapid improvements imaginable. Had he dedicated his life to wrestling, he would have been one of the greatest in-ring performers of all time.

Even now, when he's on-screen, he's so perfectly in-character at all times, makes his massive frame ten times bigger with a single glare. He's a little too limited in the ring, but he makes up for it with character, psychology, selling, and presence.

Top Bottom