• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Bronx-Man

Banned
A group of supremely privileged, wealthy white men in a group named LEGACY partaking in their family's business and talking down to black men who are competing in said business?

The heel work here is off the charts.
Real talk, I kinda secretly wish wrestling was edgy again. Like, heels can't even do or say reallly heelish shit these days. That's why Zeb Colter took off so big, because he said straight-up controversial shit that we hadn't heard from a heel in years. And he got heat because of it! Del Rio got over for like 5 mintues because of it and WWE actually got mainstream press for it.

Cesaro debuted on Smackdown by cuckolding Teddy Long with Aksana.
And look where he's at now
Did you think this would make you look cool or something? Notice how not a single person acknowledged your post after, not one person did. If I had called you a bitch and a motherfucker like you just did me you would've tattled to the mods. Your reply was on tilt for no reason other than trying to come off like a badass and you failed to do that...no one even acknowledged your post.

"My one serious post per month"...you're the reason why a thread on Raw ratings in Off-topic is better than any official Wrasslin OT for the past year+. It's because the thread is run rampant with gimmick posters like yourself that make "one serious post per month".

f6VzheW.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk, I kinda secretly wish wrestling was edgy again. Like, heels can't even do or say reallly heelish shit these days. That's why Zeb Colter took off so big, because he said straight-up controversial shit that we hadn't heard from a heel in years. And he got heat because of it! Del Rio got over for like 5 mintues because of it and WWE actually got mainstream press for it.

The way I see it, and there's an obvious danger zone (I've been in the danger zone) with having a heel be, say, an outright racist. Being a complete piece of shit. The danger is that some people may idolize that. I look at it like a movie. Beat up a child. Be a bad person. You're playing a part. Go for broke.

But that keeps people from redemption.

thefro

Breeze could work fine on the main roster as a mid-card gimmick that he could eventually evolve out of, problem is modern WWE doesn't have a mid-card. Not a fan of just debuting him with Summer, that gimmick needed some vignettes.

Yep, vignettes, don't have him talk much in the ring off the bat. Have him squash some dudes to get his entrance/finishers over. Pretty simple stuff.

The gimmick will work if you push him as a credible threat and a good wrestler. It's basically an updated version of Gorgeous George. He's not going to have a long run as a main eventer but I think a Breeze/Cena feud would draw money for a few months if you booked it the right way.

imBask

Banned
The way I see it, and there's an obvious danger zone (I've been in the danger zone) with having a heel be, say, an outright racist. Being a complete piece of shit. The danger is that some people may idolize that. I look at it like a movie. Beat up a child. Be a bad person. You're playing a part. Go for broke.

People idolize Walter White all the time, I don't see why wrestling shouldn't be allowed to have racism and scumbags... Every hero needs a villain, etc

Bronx-Man

Banned

True, but some heels are just meant to be heels forever.

imBask

Banned
Seth Rollins is the WHC

I mean on screen, not IRL

he'd be a way better champ if he was FAKEbeating up women and black people, the payoff at the end of the storyline would be way more satisfying than "oh he beat that dude who hates the local sports team, yay"

FAKE BEATING UP people, not actually beating them up, fake

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
True, but some heels are just meant to be heels forever.

One thing I find important about, let's just say a racist piece of shit wrestler, let's take the Briscoes - is that you can use their shitty values to tell a good story about how their views are bad and teach a lesson.

I think planning for a future that may or may not come does no one any favors. You've got to focus on making your present character the best it can be, even if it means doing despicable evil shit. Zeb could say what he said because there was a nuance to it. It was the kind of shit people ACTUALLY said, instead of outright saying "I hate Mexicans."

So slap women, make babies cry, kill dogs, grave rob, burn flags, just make sure it MAKES SENSE. That's the difference between getting cheap heat and being a good heel.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I think planning for a future that may or may not come does no one any favors. You've got to focus on making your present character the best it can be, even if it means doing despicable evil shit. Zeb could say what he said because there was a nuance to it. It was the kind of shit people ACTUALLY said, instead of outright saying "I hate Mexicans."

So slap women, make babies cry, kill dogs, grave rob, burn flags, just make sure it MAKES SENSE. That's the difference between getting cheap heat and being a good heel.
This guy knows the business. Well said.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think due to the more obvious scripted nature, Lucha Underground is ready to push the boundaries and murder a wrestler in the ring on the show. Now we'll see how kayfabe they can keep it.

The Miz could never be a face

I don't think it's completely insane to suggest he could be a face. He's obviously so much better as a heel. But in reality The Miz works hard and tries to help WWE and be an ambassador for the brand despite being disrespected and thought of as a joke by both the brass and fans. Just read how Bryan talked about him in his book and you can see there's potential to be a babyface, however unthinkable it may be.

The Miz could, in theory, work as a face if booked correctly considering he's a dude who chased his dream just like everyone else and made it, but in practice he was one of the worst WWE-style standard faces of the last few years

notworksafe

Anyone here using the Network app on Xbox One? Mine has started to crash after about 15-20min when watching archive content recently. Just curious if anyone else is seeing this issue too.

edit: new page
xuGRViH.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone here using the Network app on Xbox One? Mine has started to crash after about 15-20min when watching archive content recently. Just curious if anyone else is seeing this issue too.

Are you in the Preview Program? If so, this is why.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not, though I have heard similar issues from people who were. That's why I was so confused about the constant crashing.

hmm, I dunno then. I'm in the preview so I didn't even try yet, heh

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, uh, all WrassleGAF...

Who do you feel is the current worst face in WWE, and why? Use your own criteria on what makes a face "bad" - whether it's inability to connect with the audience in a meaningful way, or maybe...anything else.

notworksafe

i'll try logging out and back in and see if that fixes it. if not, maybe a redownload will.

been watching 1998 raws and ppv and its nice to just be able to yell at a device to play me more stone cold.

also watching these shows again is reminding me of a lot of crap i'd forgotten about. like the truth commission...i seriously had zero memory of them and i watched all these when they aired.

New Japan's president says WWE offered to carry New Japan on the Network in an obvious attempt to poach talent the fans wound up liking, said it's insulting

He should have debuted as Cena's US Title challenger on Sunday, won the match via shenanigans, and beat the crap out of him to keep him off the show for the next couple of months.

I mean, it could still happen, because no one cares about (or watches) Smackdown.

It should be pointed out that Breeze couldn't believably beat the shit out of me, much less John Cena.

And winning a belt on your first day doesn't really work very well. Ask Carlito.

might have been two weeks ago where ziggler was in a tag match and had to hot tag. even though his opponent was no where near him he still did the dramatic dive to his tag partner.

Dolph Ziggler is the person that lives a few floors above you in your cramped brooklyn loft and is always around leaving your fridge door open slightly as he grabs a cheap 40 out of it because he's somehow macking on your female roommate. He has given everyone on your floor a stupid nickname that only he uses. No one in the building really likes him but he's constantly "on" and thankfully leaves most nights to either work his shift at the applebee's bar or go to a free UCB class.

I get that they're trying to show a face with some edge but man, so obnoxious.

Cagey

Banned

Who do you feel is the current worst face in WWE, and why? Use your own criteria on what makes a face "bad" - whether it's inability to connect with the audience in a meaningful way, or maybe...anything else.

¡HarlequinPanic!;182454609 said:
might have been two weeks ago where ziggler was in a tag match and had to hot tag. even though his opponent was no where near him he still did the dramatic dive to his tag partner.

Dolph Ziggler is the person that lives a few floors above you in your cramped brooklyn loft and is always around leaving your fridge door open slightly as he grabs a cheap 40 out of it because he's somehow macking on your female roommate. He has given everyone on your floor a stupid nickname that only he uses. No one in the building really likes him but he's constantly "on" and thankfully leaves most nights to either work his shift at the applebee's bar or go to a free UCB class.

What else is there to say?

¡HarlequinPanic!;182454609 said:

Goddamn this is perfect.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I like him alot and I have for years, but I'm gonna have to go with Ziggler. Dude just has no character at all outside of "jerk who thinks he's a good guy".

Bandini

Ziggler does have a lot of issues, I cringe every time he picks up a mic, but I feel like there is something there that he hasn't shown yet, he needs a reboot.

Also his performance at what was it, Survivor series? The one with Team Cena vs the Authority... gotta admit that was hype

I initially thought Ziggler too, but I'm also thinking he isn't shit so does it really matter? His career is done so does it matter if he sucks as a face?

Reigns on the other hand, despite getting solid enough pops, isn't really living up to how protected he is. Going by that ratio, and the fact it's been nearly a year and he is still no good at promos, I think he needs a turn. It would do wonders for him.

Aw man, everyone's already beaten me to Ziggler.

I suppose I'll bury someone else then....
Well actually upon looking through the roster, man it's a sorry state of faces here, screw it I'll just fall back on Ziggler because he's been hanging around for so long and his occasional positive connection with the audience seems to consist almost entirely on some (in my opinion unearned) sympathy that he should be in a better spot.
I don't think the man has cut one worthwhile promo through his entire career, his most memorable dialogue trait was being a jobber who said "hi, I'm Dolph Ziggler" *extends hand*.

Like even comparing to another face on the roster in say Ryback, yeah his "the secret" promo may not go down well with everyone but I feel like from that alone I know more about the character of Ryback than I ever did about Ziggler and then on top of that Ryback has the right sort of face mannerisms when building up momentum complete with silly yet workable catchphrases and so forth.
Ziggler meanwhile is good at bumping and looking in peril? Add in the recent feud with Rusev to hammer in the final nail to his face coffin.

I suppose I could say Sin Cara is a bad face because as a high flyer who looks to gain crowd pops from flashy spots he just botches half the time but eh it's not like any attention is focused on him.

Top Bottom