• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Breeze will do ok for a while.

Selfie Sticks are just the kind of 6 month old reference that Vince will love.

Once he starts tag teaming with Fandango though his career is over. And they wont do that for at least a few months.

thefro

Breeze's whole gimmick is that he's too interested in himself to be a total chickenshit comedy heel or be second banana to someone else.

It's actually pretty robust against shitty WWE booking as long as he's not completely jobbed out.

Shadow780

She doesn't really have to do anything to not be a Heel at this point. Could you imagine if they let her beat Bayley? Holy hell, the heat she'd get. But good thing that won't happen...

right?

RIGHT!?

I want this to happen, maybe Alexa comes down and do some kind of interfering with ref.

But then again I am legit concerned someone's gonna start shooting in the venue.

Aiii

So not worth it
Breeze's whole gimmick is that he's too interested in himself to be a total chickenshit comedy heel or be second banana to someone else.

It's actually pretty robust against shitty WWE booking as long as he's not completely jobbed out.

He'll get Heath Slatered faster than Heath Slater.

I can't wait for Ryback to eat Tyler Breeze in the ring.
I'm picturing this like the getting dragged to hell spot, only Ryback's mighty maw bursts through the ring slowly drawing a frantic Breeze in, it'd be a strong way to end a show.

Even though Kane should't be in the main tittle picture, I still like the happy Kane act:
https://youtu.be/WHLC-xNaU5Y?t=1m20s

Look at those promo chops, I told you all this man was gold, now it just remains that they give him the Gold.

imBask

Banned
Do you like not read the thread?
We have already been talking about this for at least a page and a half

I never know what's the stance on spoilers around here and i'm trying to be respectful pal

if Eva Marie becomes the NXT Womens Champion and Bayley moves on to the main roster, some of you people might actually die from anger

klonere

Banned
The day after NXT tapings I just skip pages of this thread.

It's the safest thing to do. Although I do know there is an Eva Marie angle but that's hardly a spoiler given that she has had several promos leading up to it.

Colocho

Banned
Even though Kane should't be in the main tittle picture, I still like the happy Kane act:
https://youtu.be/WHLC-xNaU5Y?t=1m20s

Jolly Kane is really great, and while the New Day are getting a bit repetitive, they're still the best the WWE has to offer, by far.

Edit: Oh shit, new paige

RESEM45573paigebodyseries.jpg

kiguel182

The day after NXT tapings I just skip pages of this thread.

It's the safest thing to do. Although I do know there is an Eva Marie angle but that's hardly a spoiler given that she has had several promos leading up to it.

We need a spoiler free NXT thread. Or they need to stop recording so many episodes in advance. Anyway, it sucks.

Aiii

So not worth it
You got any other ideas to boost the ratings?

Fire the entire writing staff. Retire Vince McMahon. Send Stephanie home. Bring Shane back. Go back to two hours. Remove the Authority from TV. Stop opening every show with 20 minute promos.

Oh, and, you know, make the show fun to watch.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fire the entire writing staff. Retire Vince McMahon. Send Stephanie home. Bring Shane back. Go back to two hours. Remove the Authority from TV. Stop opening every show with 20 minute promos.

But then they'll have to cancel the Network and NXT.

imBask

Banned
All the extra TV they do brings in enough money to make these things feasible.

i'm thinking if the ratings go up where they should be on a 2 hour show AND if Smackdown isn't complete garbage and people start watching it again, they should be fine

then again neither of us knows the real financial situation so we're both speculating

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So what happens in two years when they get paid a ton less because they no longer bring in the ratings they did when they made these current deals?

I dunno, not my problem. Plus, they can always hit it big.

i'm thinking if the ratings go up where they should be on a 2 hour show AND if Smackdown isn't complete garbage and people start watching it again, they should be fine

then again neither of us knows the real financial situation so we're both speculating

not entirely true. thing is the contracts they signed, they are being paid for a third hour of Raw - this is why you can't make, say, the first hour NXT. You can't combine the shows. They wanted Raw, they paid for Raw - so Raw they must receive. Don't get me wrong, I'd love less programming. It'd help. But I also know they have already sold this time.

imBask

Banned
I dunno, not my problem. Plus, they can always hit it big.

not entirely true. thing is the contracts they signed, they are being paid for a third hour of Raw - this is why you can't make, say, the first hour NXT. You can't combine the shows. They wanted Raw, they paid for Raw - so Raw they must receive. Don't get me wrong, I'd love less programming. It'd help. But I also know they have already sold this time.

but if the ratings are down the toilet, wouldn't USA prefer to put Dog The Bounty Hunter on if it draws more than the 3rd hour of RAW?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
but if the ratings are down the toilet, wouldn't USA prefer to put Dog The Bounty Hunter on if it draws more than the 3rd hour of RAW?

nope

Let me clarify - the ratings being poor, if you can consider them poor (I don't, really - not a good metric) - that'll hurt them when it's time to negotiate next time.

Cagey

Banned
nope

Let me clarify - the ratings being poor, if you can consider them poor (I don't, really - not a good metric) - that'll hurt them when it's time to negotiate next time.

Which is why the obsession from the company first and foremost, and from that the dopes in the ISEC "news" world at the Observer / LAW, and then fans last, over quarterly or hourly ratings on a week-to-week basis is silly.

A two month stretch of low ratings, or the ratings for individual segments in a very short time span, over a 5 year contract doesn't mean much of anything. Same thing for ratings getting "popped" above-and-beyond the norm.

Networks aren't paying big dollars for what amounts to minuscule blips in a vast data set.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Which is why the obsession from the company first and foremost, and from that the dopes in the ISEC "news" world at the Observer / LAW, and then fans last, over quarterly or hourly ratings on a week-to-week basis is silly.

A two month stretch of low ratings, or the ratings for individual segments in a very short time span, over a 5 year contract doesn't mean much of anything. Same thing for ratings getting "popped" above-and-beyond the norm.

Networks aren't paying big dollars for what amounts to minuscule blips in a vast data set.

After all:

Ju5WKjY.jpg

imBask

Banned
nope

it brings us back to the argument where you're saying they did nothing wrong it's just because they have too much content to write, and us saying that no matter the amount of content it's just because the writers suck

i'll stick to my guns in that case, the writers suck

Cagey

Banned
Here is my counter-image:
clipboard01itota.jpg

I wonder what the ratings trends look like for the shows that are most comparable to Raw; and then what the shows are that are most comparable to Raw.

WWE may promote themselves as live sports but it's live sports-adjace, somewhere in the middle between live sports (DVR proof) and pretaped TV shows (not DVR proof). For my money, it's definitely closer to the latter.

If there's a corresponding slide in ratings for either category, most likely the pretaped TV shows, then falling ratings when put into proper context isn't bad. If live sports ratings on a weekly basis (aside from the NFL, of course) are also falling at a similar rate to Raw, then Raw comes out looking great. And vice versa: if other programs aren't falling at the rate Raw is, then it's bad.

tl;dr - need context.

EDIT: My uneducated guess is that Raw's ratings are sliding at a rate similar to the drop across cable television for most taped television shows, but the problem is WWE wants to be seen as live sports (not as large a drop, if any) and get that lucrative live sporting event TV money, and that shit ain't happening.

Aiii

So not worth it
tl;dr - need context.

There is a general decline in TV ratings (though some shows trend upwards, the general trend is downwards slightly), sure, but nowhere near as big as WWE's.

For instance, Suits (also on the USA Network and its highest rated scripted TV show) went from an average of 2.26m viewers for its fourth season, to 2.22 for its fifth.

Bronx-Man

Banned
bring back Nash to challenge Cena for the US title at the ppv, then have him beat Cena in 8 seconds
that'll put butts in the seats, just in time for Nashvember

Now this is some good stuff! You boys will get a job with Creative sometime soon.

Fun to watch? You don't like watching worst booked world champion since Rey Mysterio get lambasted by Triple H on a weekly basis?

This is definitely going on next month's OT.

Ratings are a good indication of intrest in something.

Newtwork numbers have plateaued
Live event attendance is down(Smackdown had 3000 people last week)

In other News got an email update from Chris Charlton. He got his copy of his new japan book and production is happing

Said,books should ship in about 2 weeks

Scottify

I, for one, would welcome this return to WWE.

Mickie James would like to retun and face Sasha Banks

I'd love to go back there again because I loved my time there. I think the answer is always the same, but the ball isn't really in your court. I've been able to leave my mark there and I'm happy and grateful for that. Of course I would go back if they asked me.

It's really hard to say. I've said Sasha Banks on Twitter before because she's awesome. I think she's a star. She's got it!...

Cagey

Banned
There is a general decline in TV ratings (though some shows trend upwards, the general trend is downwards slightly), sure, but nowhere near as big as WWE's.

For instance, Suits (also on the USA Network and its highest rated scripted TV show) went from an average of 2.26m viewers for its fourth season, to 2.22 for its fifth.

While only one data point, that's not a good sign.

Not on iPPV, so I'm assuming Glory by Honor XIV is a TV taping to be parsed out over the next few weeks.

ROH's Glory by Honor XIV is this weekend.

Night 1, Friday, 10/23/15, Kalamazoo, Michigan
ROH World TV Championship: Jay Lethal (c) vs. Roderick Strong
ROH World Tag Team Championship: The Kingdom w/Maria Kanellis vs. The Addiction w/Chris Sabin
AJ Styles vs. Donovan Dijak w/Truth Martini
The Briscoes vs. The All Night Express
Adam Cole vs. Dalton Castle
Leah Von Dutch vs. Mary Dobson
Silas Young & Beer City Bruiser w/The Boys vs. War Machine
ACH vs. Cedric Alexander w/Veda Scott

Night 2, Saturday, 10/24/15, Dayton, Ohio

Jay Letha w/Truth Martini and The Kingdom w/Maria Kanellis vs. AJ Styles, ACH & Roderick Strong
War Machine vs. The Briscoes
Donovan Dijak w/Truth Martini vs. Michael Elgin
Adam Page w/BJ Whitmer vs. Cedric Alexander w/Veda Scott vs. Dalton Castle vs. Cliff Compton
Adam Cole vs. Will Ferrara
Silas Young & Beer City Bruiser w/The Boys vs. The All Night Express
Kelly Klein w/BJ Whitmer vs. Rae Linn

I have no idea who this Donovan Dijak person is, but ROH is slowly but surely accumulating some of the dumbest sounding names in the indies between Beer City Bruiser and Donovan Dijak.

Also, Adam Page, Adam Cole, Ethan Page, and Matt Cage just blend into one big mess of names in my head. Get better names, indie wrestlers.

Also, we forgot #IndiePosterThursday, which is good.

Fox318

Ratings are a good indication of intrest in something.

Newtwork numbers have plateaued
Live event attendance is down(Smackdown had 3000 people last week)

CrunchyRoll (Anime/Japanese Drama streaming site) just announced that they have 700,000 paying subscribers. Soon there will be more people paying for Anime than sports entertainment.

Aiii

So not worth it
CrunchyRoll (Anime/Japanese Drama streaming site) just announced that they have 700,000 paying subscribers. Soon there will be more people paying for Anime than sports entertainment.

I subbed to that to watch the Death Note drama simulcasts, it's a pretty good deal for only 5 bucks a month.

Also, it has Chromecast support.

bjork

You're saying this like Dog isn't more entertaining than RAW.

You're saying this like anime isn't more entertaining than wrestling.

And that's after ROH had brought in individuals named ACH, Cheeseburger, and Brutal Bob.

Again, a collection of the dumbest sounding indie wrestler names.

The Apollo Crews interview segment on this week's NXT was great, and Asuka is a star.

Top Bottom