• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
CrunchyRoll (Anime/Japanese Drama streaming site) just announced that they have 700,000 paying subscribers. Soon there will be more people paying for Anime than sports entertainment.

Since we're doing some false equivalency stuff

Netflix has over 65 million subscribers. That's a whole lot more people interested in various movies and shows on demand instead of WWE Network! LOL!

Fox318

You're saying this like Dog isn't more entertaining than RAW.

You're saying this like anime isn't more entertaining than wrestling.

I'm saying that a product whose viewers likely don't speak the language is able tp create a strong footing and grow while the WWE has never grown the audience it once had in 1998-2004.

Not to mention CrunchyRoll faces competition from other services that offer the same content (Funimation, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and others).

Where is the growth? Other than raising ticket prices at their one big event they haven't really grown.

Oooh, this is interesting. From the guy writing the New Japan book's twitter, from a podcast with LOLTANAHASHIWINS:

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/657484490378342400

Some, If not all OF the Revolution Pro/NJPW show WILL be on New Japan World, after RPW have an exclusivity window. Ospreay/Okada included.

My boy's going places!

I'm guessing that it'll have RevPro's commentary, so English commentary on New Japan World!

Also, I love the rumor that NJPW turned down WWE's offer to host NJPW material on the WWE Network.

Jolly Kane is really great, and while the New Day are getting a bit repetitive, they're still the best the WWE has to offer, by far.

Edit: Oh shit, new paige

RESEM45573paigebodyseries.jpg

Enhanced bust? Check.
Backwards baseball cap? Check.

Paige's transformation into Nikki Bella is almost complete. Just need a feud with Saraya where Saraya tells Paige that she wishes Paige died in her womb to bring it full circle.

Nikki-Bella.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm saying that a product whose viewers likely don't speak the language is able tp create a strong footing and grow while the WWE has never grown the audience it once had in 1998-2004.

KONNICHI WA! WATASHI WA BRUCE THARPE DESU!

miserable

Since we're doing some false equivalency stuff

Netflix has over 65 million subscribers. That's a whole lot more people interested in various movies and shows on demand instead of WWE Network! LOL!

is Netflix, Hulu etc. available in Europe ? (available as in officially, without the need of VPNs, proxys and other stuff like that)

Ithil

Not to mention CrunchyRoll faces competition from other services that offer the same content (Funimation, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and others).

Where is the growth? Other than raising ticket prices at their one big event they haven't really grown.

Potential new viewers don't speak the WWE language either.

DKehoe

Fire the entire writing staff. Retire Vince McMahon. Send Stephanie home. Bring Shane back. Go back to two hours. Remove the Authority from TV. Stop opening every show with 20 minute promos.

Oh, and, you know, make the show fun to watch.

Why is Shane always seen as the saviour? Apparently his ideas for creative were terrible. As sad as it sounds, maybe Stephanie really is just the better option of the two.

bjork

Japanese stuff is generally superior in all mediums, if we're being serious here. I would rather deal with HK bootleg quality subtitling to watch some fuzzy quality anime than sit through Smackdown nowadays.

Heroman

Banned
Japanese stuff is generally superior in all mediums, if we're being serious here. I would rather deal with HK bootleg quality subtitling to watch some fuzzy quality anime than sit through Smackdown nowadays.

your telling me that you would rather watch I wanna be the strongest than Smackdown?

Ithil

Why is Shane always seen as the saviour? Apparently his ideas for creative were apparently terrible. As sad as it sounds, maybe Stephanie really is just the better option of the two.

Because he jumped off tall things and is remembered fondly, and also he's not here, so clearly he is the answer to all problems.

Bronx-Man

Banned
NJPW is so popular because it appeals to the hipster millennials that wouldn't watch wrestling otherwise. It's the same reason why NXT and Lucha Underground are so successful while Raw isn't. Niche culture is what dominates pop culture now, but WWE refuses to acknowledge how niche it truly is and tries to be some horrid amalgam of the NFL and SNL.

Heroman

Banned
NJPW is so popular because it appeals to the hipster millennials that wouldn't watch wrestling otherwise. It's the same reason why NXT and Lucha Underground are so successful while Raw isn't. Niche culture is what dominates pop culture now, but WWE refuses to acknowledge how niche it truly is and tries to be some horrid amalgam of the NFL and SNL.

But wwe is more poplar than alll three of those promotion combination together and LOL at lucha Underground being successful.

Heroman

Banned
Is that why the only reason any of us talk about them is because of how bad the programming is or how bad the ratings are?

Face it bro, underground is the new mainstream.

We talk more about wwe than all the promotion combine there are more post about Keivin owen that are post in the G1 climax thread.

And you cant be mainstream if not watch the channel you are on.

do you actually enjoy RAW

be honest
Well yeah, I wouldnt watch something if I didnt enjoy it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually think most people in this thread who comment on Monday Night do enjoy RAW and it's only a few sad sacks who watch all three hours (an eighth of your day!) yet claim to hate it.

Could it be better? Absolutely. The base wrestling in WWE has gotten to the point though where almost every match is somewhere between a bit below average to pretty damn good. There's usually one or two good skits along with about 4 or 5 bad ones.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just you all wait until GWF Universe hits.

Universe mode, rivalries set to none at the start. One show is one show.

It'll be the best post-Raw show you can watch.

imBask

Banned
I actually think most people in this thread who comment on Monday Night do enjoy RAW and it's only a few sad sacks who watch all three hours (an eighth of your day!) yet claim to hate it.

Could it be better? Absolutely. The base wrestling in WWE has gotten to the point though where almost every match is somewhere between a bit below average to pretty damn good. There's usually one or two good skits along with about 4 or 5 bad ones.

as a wrestling fan I expect bad stuff, I have a high tolerance of dumb shit. The past month of RAW is way past that point, it's beyond bad. It's 1 good skit for 14 bad ones and even the good skits are below average

actually most skits are straight up insulting my intelligence, and it's not because i'm smart. "CORPORATE Kane you're not allowed to fight rollins you hear me CORPORATE Kane?"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
OFvc4ms.png

ftTM3Ev.png

rIUZL9t.png

cJWV9CA.png

BlwrPpu.png

i7BeUyf.png

Shots of the old GWF characters...who will make the cut on the new ones?

regardless of whatever is going on monday nights, I'm actually fairly hyped for Hell In A Cell, I think most of the card is gonna deliver save for the main event, which will still be fun. Every PPV we get to wonder what fuckery will let seth slide out with the title intact.

also lol at the soulplaya caw.

Why is Shane always seen as the saviour? Apparently his ideas for creative were terrible. As sad as it sounds, maybe Stephanie really is just the better option of the two.
Vince McMahon thought his ideas were terrible and shot them all down. Not just creative but business decisions.

If Vince shot them down, I'm pretty sure they were decent or good. We know how one of Shane's biggest ideas worked out.

Mahonay

Banned
¡HarlequinPanic!;182680884 said:
regardless of whatever is going on monday nights, I'm actually fairly hyped for Hell In A Cell, I think most of the card is gonna deliver save for the main event, which will still be fun. Every PPV we get to wonder what fuckery will let seth slide out with the title intact.

also lol at the soulplaya caw.
The PPVs are the only part of the core WWE programming that I legitatmely enjoy now. With that said, Night of Champions was pretty underwhelming.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Thing for many is i can just tune into the ppv on the network every month without watching for month. I get a recap on all the events just prior to x match. I dont need to see raw or smackdown each down..but wwe still get my money. This is probs also a cause of decline in ratings

Mahonay

Banned
I was watching just the main event of Raws for a bit but I decided to tune in for this week's show and it was pretty good imo
Definitely not a bad show onto it's self. Problem is that it's the same fucking thing now week after week.

EDIT: even with the various special appearances, they managed to not shake anything up.

Thing for many is i can just tune into the ppv on the network every month without watching for month. I get a recap on all the events just prior to x match. I dont need to see raw or smackdown each down..but wwe still get my money. This is probs also a cause of decline in ratings

yep, raw isn't written to be must see tv plain and simple. Dunno if its to give the guys a break (they get to spend the month working with familiar faces while on the road) or what but that makes my viewing casual checking out while its airing and just catching the go home show. Though even with that excuse, and I hate to invoke the "they should make it like the attitude era", matches back then were short. Matches on raw now can be 3 segments in the first hour!

notworksafe

Definitely not a bad show onto it's self. Problem is that it's the same fucking thing now week after week.

EDIT: even with the various special appearances, they managed to not shake anything up.
Yeah it seems they are just treading water until the Rumble for now. Wonder if football season has anything to do with it? They know they're gonna be down anyway so might as well just slow it down until the NFL passes.

Top Bottom