• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Cagey

Banned
Yeah it seems they are just treading water until the Rumble for now. Wonder if football season has anything to do with it? They know they're gonna be down anyway so might as well just slow it down until the NFL passes.

Assuming an inevitable ratings drop during football season, this time should be used for experimentation with feuds, performers, etc.

The end result is still ratings tread water until the Royal Rumble but there's greater upside.

Barrage

You can't look at RAW ratings and judge WWE in a vacuum. I used to watch RAW every few weeks, but would never order a PPV (id watch it at a friends months afterwards). Now I never watch a full RAW, but they get 120/year from me for the Network. I would say that awareness of the current WWE product is very high, but the viewership has splintered.

notworksafe

What if wrestling had an off-season?

but then where does the money come from? shirt sales and house shows probably can't match whatever they get for tv ads. i think it'd be possible to have an off season if they were still private, but as a public company i don't see it happening.

Assuming an inevitable ratings drop during football season, this time should be used for experimentation with feuds, performers, etc.

The end result is still ratings tread water until the Royal Rumble but there's greater upside.

yeah this would make sense. use the time when only the hardcore (and kids) are watching and see what gets them to bite.

bjork

You can't look at RAW ratings and judge WWE in a vacuum. I used to watch RAW every few weeks, but would never order a PPV (id watch it at a friends months afterwards). Now I never watch a full RAW, but they get 120/year from me for the Network. I would say that awareness of the current WWE product is very high, but the viewership has splintered.

They should get you for the next investor's call.

Slightly on-topic, I noticed the WWE sections in both my local Toys R Us and Wal-Mart have become slightly smaller.

but then where does the money come from? shirt sales and house shows probably can't match whatever they get for tv ads. i think it'd be possible to have an off season if they were still private, but as a public company i don't see it happening.

That's tough to say. For a wrestler health standpoint, I would envision two squads, each running maybe 9 months, with 3 months off for each. But I'm not sure what the overlap would be, so you could keep the show going weekly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Look at what happened with Lucha Underground's off season. Talents free to continue elsewhere (WWE would NOT allow this) and there's a serious screeching halt to the promotion's interest - the support and hype they were building to, much like any seasonal TV show, is dropped off. It will be a challenge to get people to start back up again and make a new habit.

On the other hand, LU was able to tell multiple stories with actual endpoints. There's good and bad to an off season.

ROTATE_BILLBOARD_1._jpg

wrasslegaf official costume

Basically Shane pushed for Vince to put funds or acquire a big stake in the MMA world during the late 90s before it took off completely. Vince instead signed a few superstars here and there. The rest is history, Vince would be worth twice as much now if he did. Shane probably would be in charge of whatever it became. Here

Over the years, he had pushed for WWF to buy ECW in the summer of 2000 when WWF was in strong negotiations to close the deal with TNN (now Spike) that would result in ECW being kicked off the station The idea was that WWF would buy ECW and Shane would keep it alive as a separate business, but Vince chose instead to let ECW die. On more than one occasion he had pushed to buy UFC when the price was something WWF could afford, but in the end, the decision was turned down, and he saw UFC explode to something that is considered more valuable than WWE.
On one of Paul Heyman's interviews on the MMA Hour he talked about both he and Shane told Vince not to let the Ultimate Fighter go on after Raw. At the time WWE had full control over what programs were on before and after Raw, but Vince didn't think of the UFC as competition.

Vince said he didn't understand UFC so fuck investing in it but his son understood it and that's why he took his money and talents elsewhere.

bjork

To be fair, if Vince bought UFC, it would've become something entirely different and potentially not the juggernaut it is now. History teaches us that Vince doesn't have a golden touch.

To be fair, if Vince bought UFC, it would've become something entirely different and potentially not the juggernaut it is now. History teaches us that Vince doesn't have a golden touch.
That's another thing but Shane would've been in charge. It would've just been under the same umbrella.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Vince is worth like a billion dollars

Verendus

Banned
If UFC was under WWE's umbrella, do you think Vince would actively try to sabotage the likes of Jon Jones, Cormier, and other black superstars (since that's what they'd be called instead of fighters)?

Maybe there'd have been a John Cena vs. GSP superfight.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Enhanced bust? Check.
Backwards baseball cap? Check.

Paige's transformation into Nikki Bella is almost complete. Just need a feud with Saraya where Saraya tells Paige that she wishes Paige died in her womb to bring it full circle.

Are Paige's fake? I just assume she had a push-up bra. At the very least they're not up near her neck like Nikki's.

If UFC was under WWE's umbrella, do you think Vince would actively try to sabotage the likes of Jon Jones, Cormier, and other black superstars (since that's what they'd be called instead of fighters)?

Shane is the equal opportunity one in the family.

klonere

Banned
I demand that "Lazy Millennials" be a stable in GWF.

Of course I am just going to passively aggressively suggest this instead of making any concrete effort to get such a thing done.
because I only have a PC

Aiii

So not worth it

Conor McGregor would never have been a thing under Vince.

And poor Ronda Rousey.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Are Paige's fake? I just assume she had a push-up bra. At the very least they're not up near her neck like Nikki's.
She even says that she just wears a push-up bra pretty often outside of wrestling.

I demand that "Lazy Millennials" be a stable in GWF.

Of course I am just going to passively aggressively suggest this instead of making any concrete effort to get such a thing done.
because I only have a PC

Dibs on being the leader of mWo.

Verendus

Banned
Conor McGregor would never have been a thing under Vince.

And poor Ronda Rousey.
That is true. The fact that Ronda Rousey has become such a huge draw just shows that UFC is currently a little smarter than WWE when it comes to taking advantage of opportunities commercially. She's one of the biggest UFC draws, and it's in a division where she's fighting a bunch of no-names who probably shouldn't even be competing beyond amateur. That's amazing when you think about it. You're basically taking a champion of a scrub division and making them one of the biggest names there is.

Vince could never accomplish that. He'd probably find the idea of people wanting to see women fight hilarious. And of course, Conor's too small. Vince would think he could beat him. It doesn't seem like he looks beyond the WWE anyway.

For all of UFC's faults, and there are many, they do go with the flow if they see something taking off. Whereas Vince seems to be resistant these days.

This is my bi-annual call to bring back Brawl for All.
Yep they could introduce CM Punk again this way.

Brock decides he tired of dominating with the 3 count fall, he just wants to put a hurting and K.O opponents.

Bring in Tank Abbot, Ken Shamrock, hell even have JBL tease an appearance but it all leads to his special opponent at SummerSlam being CM Punk.

cJWV9CA.png

i7BeUyf.png

Shots of the old GWF characters...who will make the cut on the new ones?
We'd have made a killer tag team, the Kaneanites or possibly the Kane Konnection.
But now he's gone, I'm all alone.

Hey overall 82, I'm as good as Nikki Bella!

Nocturnowl is living the gimmick that's the drive I like to see

can you even make anything close to that in 2K16?
You should know my actual gimmick was a losing streak so intense I lost every match I was in until the finale where I somehow overcame the odds to win an Armageddon Hell in a Cell Match, a true underdog story right there.

We'll find out after this break, as GWF rolls on!
You know it hits too close when you automatically read this in Michael Cole's voice.

Also forgot to mention ADR, they can say he had a brief stint in MMA. Losing lol.

If they can't get Punk then we can finally get our Lesnar Batista match.

Fox318

you can't teach somebody how to box at a professional level in 2 months.

Vince judges people on the surface level. If they look big and tall they must be able to beat up the short fat guy.

Its why they got butterbean.

Top Bottom